Which of the Orignal 8 will you use first?

Jedi

OG8  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which character first?

lol it's like all the options besides Link have broken down or something after the first hour.

But I get it. It's not every game one of the original 8 gets a design change. Well, okay maybe it is every game, but Link with a new shirt is a bigger deal than Fox looking more or less like a puppet than an animal. I definitely expected more enthusiasm from Mario's new outfits though. 

18 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

lol it's like all the options besides Link have broken down or something after the first hour.

But I get it. It's not every game one of the original 8 gets a design change. Well, okay maybe it is every game, but Link with a new shirt is a bigger deal than Fox looking more or less like a puppet than an animal. I definitely expected more enthusiasm from Mario's new outfits though. 

That has nothing to do with it. Link's always been the most popular casually. And really, the only outright design change any of the original 12 ever got was Samus getting her Other M design (which had a fair bit of negative outcry). Closest to that is Yoshi gradually learning to stand up straight and brightening up his color palette. 

Observe, a gamefaqs poll from 3 years ago: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72594669

Link doesn't have as gigantic a lead due to a larger sample and different/irrationally sword hating audience, yet he's still far and away the clear favorite-- even outdoing Samus/Jigglypuff/Yoshi getting squished into one option due to poll limitations.

Characters that wield a sword just tend to be rather popular casually.

Edited by The DanMan

5 hours ago, The DanMan said:

That has nothing to do with it. Link's always been the most popular casually. And really, the only outright design change any of the original 12 ever got was Samus getting her Other M design (which had a fair bit of negative outcry). Closest to that is Yoshi gradually learning to stand up straight and brightening up his color palette. 

Observe, a gamefaqs poll from 3 years ago: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72594669

Link doesn't have as gigantic a lead due to a larger sample and different/irrationally sword hating audience, yet he's still far and away the clear favorite-- even outdoing Samus/Jigglypuff/Yoshi getting squished into one option due to poll limitations.

Characters that wield a sword just tend to be rather popular casually.

Fox has had a design change in every game sans Melee - even Ultimate! But really all the designs in 64 and Melee you can debate due to the intense visual upgrade and how few things they can really depict on the 64. Really Fox's design change game to game is more dynamic than the switch from the Super design of Samus to Other M (which is mostly just trimmed down legs and boots and a thinner arm cannon. I don't really recall anybody identifying the source of Samus' design change leading up to Smash 4 since nobody had played Other M to know that. I always have to tell them - and I'd bet I'm the reason even you knew with the way you buzz around my posts.

I hope people pick characters because they want to play as those characters. And don't look at the original 12 and think "Uhmmmmm, I guess Link is the only Sword here? Gotta play exclusively as these swords". They do it because they like Link, not because of some arbitrary desire to own the "too many swords" argument.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Fox has had a design change in every game sans Melee - even Ultimate! But really all the designs in 64 and Melee you can debate due to the intense visual upgrade and how few things they can really depict on the 64. Really Fox's design change game to game is more dynamic than the switch from the Super design of Samus to Other M (which is mostly just trimmed down legs and boots and a thinner arm cannon. I don't really recall anybody identifying the source of Samus' design change leading up to Smash 4 since nobody had played Other M to know that. I always have to tell them - and I'd bet I'm the reason even you knew with the way you buzz around my posts.

I hope people pick characters because they want to play as those characters. And don't look at the original 12 and think "Uhmmmmm, I guess Link is the only Sword here? Gotta play exclusively as these swords". They do it because they like Link, not because of some arbitrary desire to own the "too many swords" argument.

Forgot about that; even then, Fox's designs have been a gradual evolution. Link's gone through the single most radical design change/updating of any of the original 12.
And I heavily lurked Smashboards and gamefaqs during 4's pre-release before joining them this time around; I know a lot of the drama that happened (including, for instance, the self-martyring and further disownment of Awakening a lot of fans did when the expectations were Ike getting cut for Chrom and the salt over Ghirahim getting revealed as an AT).

But what do you think Link has that's appealing to casual fans, especially when compared to the rest of the original 12? Heck, I've encountered many people who main FE characters yet have never played the series nor have any interest in it-- probably maining them for the same reason. And I was more specifically bringing that up because of how prevalent it is on gamefaqs as an explanation for why he probably didn't have an even bigger lead on the poll.

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:55 AM, MCProductions said:

Whichever one unlocks a Belmont the fastest

If you scan their amiibo, you can unlock them right at the start.

I was thinking of doing that with King K. Rool, but I've decided that I'm going to do it the 'proper' way.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

On 10/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, The DanMan said:

Link's always been the most popular casually.

My (admittedly anecdotal) experience is that casual gamers tend to gravitate toward (in order) Kirby, Pikachu, and Mario, while Link and other sword users more of a pick for gamers who are casual with Smash specifically.

• 2 weeks later...

Kirby, for obvious reasons.

Though after that I'll probably try out Link because he's changed the most out of all the original 8 and will probably be involved in the unlock requirements for at least one of Zelda, Ganondorf and Young Link, all of whom I'm looking forward to playing as.

Given that I'm probably just going to jump right into World of Light (assuming it's the quickest way to unlock everyone else) first thing, I guess that locks my choice into Kirby. That's OK though, since he's my preferred choice out of the original eight anyways.

I'll be jumping straight into World of Light, so Kirby by default. Beyond that though, it's funny, because I enjoy playing Luigi, Y.Link, Pichu and Wolf, but the originals, not so much, so that isn't helping.

I did like Yoshi in Melee though. Guess I'll go with him.