You wake up in a grand castle of your imagination happily married to your waifu/husbando but oh no!

Hanes

You wake up in a castle of your imagination but oh no!  

35 members have voted

1. 1. someone wants to steal her from you to make horrible experiments and this is the 50th goddamn time! Do you let him?

• Yes
    • No
    • In the year 1871, France during the reign of Napoleon III recognized the victorious 2nd German Empire as a state
    • The galipolli failure in WW1 refers to the british invasion of the port of galipolli in which most of their campaigns were unsucessful
    • Just stop stealing my waifu!
    • The byzantine city of constantinople fell in 1453 to the ottoman empire and they changed it's name to istanbul and closed western spice trade to the european kingdoms paving the way for the discovery of America in 1492 (The vikings did it first but they did nearly nothing)
    • Stop speaking history you nerd
    • 35 warning points for you for being a butt
    • Long live Mekkkkkkkkah the king!
    • I just want you to STFU
    • Yes I love history too
    • How many choices are there in this poll
    • You are human
    • Arena grinding is not bad
    • One more to cure my OCD to have 15 choices

Let them have the waifu- let's talk about the Ottomans instead.

So, the Sultan during the fall of Constantinople was Mehmed II, who from youth felt that toppling the Byzantine Empire was a sort of divine mission. His siege of the city was an early employment of canons as siege weapons, but as I recall their effectiveness was debated.

Time for an enlightening conversation beyond the waifus.

Let's talk Ottomans.

Spoiler

Also, no, but mostly because 'Boro would kick that nerd-ass mad scientist in the dick 'cuz she don't need any damn man to rescue her.

We could also do both at the same time- I bet Mehmed II could successfully kidnap Oboro. He was also a very well educated man, so should his relative intellect be scaled to a contemporary setting I imagine he would be quite the nerd of indomitable authority.

Wow I actually thought people would call me out for... nvm.

4 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

So, the Sultan during the fall of Constantinople was Mehmed II, who from youth felt that toppling the Byzantine Empire was a sort of divine mission. His siege of the city was an early employment of canons as siege weapons, but as I recall their effectiveness was debated.

And they sey muslims never fought for religious reasons although those are SJW hypocrites so whatever

Also, no, but mostly because 'Boro would kick that nerd-ass mad scientist in the dick 'cuz she don't need any damn man to rescue her.

No it's not a mad scientist it's a guy who steals your waifus and makes her fat or sick or she hates you now and asks you wether you're still ok with her being your waifu it's sad I've had to reset 4 times now because he keeps killing Rebecca...

Edited by This boi uses Nino

It's getting to the point that unlike Super Mario, I'll just off the guy as the most effective solution. Assumedly this castle in some way is under my ownership so maybe I'll lay complex traps and bait them in the form of a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm tempted to close this topic.

Ah there you are! I knew you would come, I would much prefer you close this topic if it seems to break rule 5.4 rather than getting warnng points then again I could get both and that would suck       :-|

But there's history discussion in it! Ain't that cool??????

More like, this is a really stupid meme, and even Far from the Forest has standards (yes, they're low, but still).

The only reason why it wasn't closed outright was because of the history discussion.

"The byzantine city of constantinople fell in 1453 to the ottoman empire and they changed it's name to istanbul and closed western spice trade to the european kingdoms paving the way for the discovery of America in 1492 (The vikings did it first but they did nearly nothing)"

I'm seeing some serious American bias here.

Edited by Jotari

You thought these sort of topics were only on gamefaqs but oh no!

Also I don't think the Ottomans were the one who changed the name of Constantinople. Most things I read about things involving the Ottomans still name their capitol Constantinople. Wasn't it only changed after the Ottomans fell? 

Stupid memes are underappreciated. You can't build a healthy community without grassroots garbage posting.

7 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

And they sey muslims never fought for religious reasons although those are SJW hypocrites so whatever

I think it was more his personal vendetta, or some sort of grandiose delusion. Though, he did actually do it so maybe that last descriptor isn't quite accurate.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm seeing some serious American bias here.

The best bias.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Also I don't think the Ottomans were the one who changed the name of Constantinople. Most things I read about things involving the Ottomans still name their capitol Constantinople. Wasn't it only changed after the Ottomans fell? 

I think it was a gradual process, where "Istanbul" was used in more and more official contexts towards the end of the Ottoman Empire's existence, but it wasn't the exclusive definitive one and only name for the city (unless you're Greek) until the establishment of Turkey. It existed as a colloquial name for centuries prior, even well before Mehmed's conquest of the city. The nickname "Istanbul" is derived from a Greek phrase (remember that the Byzantine Empire was Greek-speaking) which literally means "in the city." It's very creative. Basically, because Constantinople was so big and important and dominant in your life if you lived near it, you could just say "the city" and people knew what you meant, so the name eventually stuck.

Language evolves, my friends, and the world we live in has a major city whose name was changed to a slang term for it.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

40 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Nobody mentioned the poll assumes it's a waifu and not a husbando. I call discrimination.

no strait grills allowed.

Did you know that Mehmed II was at least a little bisexual? He had a guy decapitated for not giving him his teenage son for his harem. Then he put the boy in the harem anyway.

Which, you know, is pretty awful.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

47 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Did you know that Mehmed II was at least a little bisexual? He had a guy decapitated for not giving him his teenage son for his harem. Then he put the boy in the harem anyway.

Do you think Mehmed II would add Takumi to his harem?

28 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Do you think Mehmed II would add Takumi to his harem?

I don't know, actually- his idea of beautiful boys might not include anime boys. It truly is a puzzle for the modern scholar if Mehmed II would have liked anime.

Now for a bonus fact. Mehmed II did tons of other awful stuff besides force people into his harem. He also killed all his brothers to ensure he had a monopoly on throne claims. This practice would become a tradition for Ottoman Sultans that would last for over 100 years, and not even babies were spared. This practice would be ended by Ahmed I, who instead just locked his brothers away for the rest of their lives. Which, you know, is way less awful.

I mean

Killing your brothers is still probably better than having some random general kill the emperor and cause massive internal conflicts every other week

Like, every ottoman emperor can claim descent from the house of Osman, no massive succession crises or anything like that, but I couldn't even give you a rough estimate of how many Roman dynasties there were off the top of my head

It's brutal, but so is any monarchy, right?

While a civil war might kill fewer people than fratricide, the latter still demonstrates what is at least seen as a more extreme lack of empathy.

8 hours ago, ChefGuevara said:

Like, every ottoman emperor can claim descent from the house of Osman, no massive succession crises or anything like that, but I couldn't even give you a rough estimate of how many Roman dynasties there were off the top of my head

I'm not an expert on Middle Eastern history, and my interest in primarily in the Ottomans. However, as far as I know, it is at least the case in Western thought that we look at different Muslim dynasties as separate countries, unlike how we see many European countries as being single nations ruled by changing dynasties. We do the same thing for China and India as we do for the Middle East, at least as far as I know, so it might just be a sort of bias or the fact that we know more about ourselves.

At the same time, the Osman Dynasty is very unique in its longevity and though it managed to survive for several centuries after the fratricide practice was ended. I can't say how drastically the empire changed over that time- I know it had its highs and lows but I'm not familiar with how much the way it was governed changed over time, so it could have been and probably was like a totally different country by the time it was dissolved.

You're right though- it's all pretty nasty business, and such practices have existed among royal lineages across the world. Since many of these still didn't last for more than 100-200 years, I don't think there's a strong argument for them being effective. Which is...comforting, I guess. I mean, Roman Emperors still totally killed their opposition and it didn't really stabilize the 3rd century that much.

I don't think any such dynastic shift occurred past the very early stages of ottoman history though? Like, there was Seljuk Sultanate and the sultanate of Rum, but after that I'm pretty sure it's just the Ottoman Empire all the way to 1918

The way I understand it (read: not very well), once the jannissaries were allowed to have kids and thereby become fairly traditional nobility, they resisted a lot of necessary changes in both military and administrative areas in the name of preserving their prestige (a problem the Europeans didn't have because the plague weakened a lot of that structure, and then the reformation broke it even more), which lead to them losing a lot of wars, and then nationalist movements meant the loss of places with distinct cultural identities like Greece and Armenia.

Also honestly I'll still take the Turks murdering their bros over the Europeans inbreeding lmao 

22 hours ago, ChefGuevara said:

I don't think any such dynastic shift occurred past the very early stages of ottoman history though? Like, there was Seljuk Sultanate and the sultanate of Rum, but after that I'm pretty sure it's just the Ottoman Empire all the way to 1918

Not for the Ottomans, no, but there were still plenty of changing dynasties elsewhere in the Muslim world.

The way I understand it (read: not very well), once the jannissaries were allowed to have kids and thereby become fairly traditional nobility, they resisted a lot of necessary changes in both military and administrative areas in the name of preserving their prestige

That seems about in line with what I read, as I recall the Jannisarries were eventually disbanded after basically declaring civil war.

Also honestly I'll still take the Turks murdering their bros over the Europeans inbreeding lmao 

Eh- why choose at all? It's such an undesirable thing in either case. One could argue the inbreeding had more negative effects, with the Spanish War of Succession 'n junk, but, you know, there are certain other very pragmatic and completely heartless policies we oppose as much as the ones which are very stupid and heartless. It depends on if it's an ethics or a pragmatism debate, I guess.