ITT I rate BW

Ronman5

Hello! I have been a user on this site for many many years and always have wanted to try this after seeing a friend (At the time) do something like this through Emerald and Platinum nearly 5 years ago.

Essentially I will be rating The whole non postgame dex of Pokémon and how useful each one is from the start of your journey, to the end when you face off against the final "Boss".

Normally that boss is the champion, but for BW it will be up to the final battle with Ghestis.

The criteria I will be basing on is the viability of the Pokémon when compared to the 8 gyms, Elite four, the battle with N and lastly your final battle against team Plazma… against Ghestis! Also major points can be made from availability of the Pokémon, and also if it can make a usefull HM slave if nothing else (Such as Bibarel was in DPP where it could learn Strength, Cut, Surf and Waterfall, only missing two hms.

Another factor is rarity of the Pokémon… for example in my recent playthrough of Pokémon White, I entered a rustling spot of the pinwheel forest and got Sawk, which has a low 5% appearance rate in shaking spots in only four locations of the game, but is 10% in normal non shaking grass patches in Black, as such if there is a difference in rarity I will point it out and possibly give a secondary rating based on this. There are also trade evolutions, these evolutions make the Pokémon stronger, so I will post different reviews on NFE mons who have to be traded, and fully evolved traded mons (like Gigalith) One final detractor is the Elemental Monkeys, I will do two scores, one if its your free gift mon (by picking the opposite starter of said monkey) and one if it isn't

Finally Victini will not count at all, despite being first in the dex list, it is a Pokémon only found if you got the event... And I unfortunately did not

The reviews will be hyperlinked here along with scores

Snivy

Tepig

Oshawott

Patrat

Lillipup

Purrlion

Pansage

Pansear

Panpour

Munna

Pidove

Blitzle

Roggenrola

Woobat

Drilbur

Audino

Timburr

Tympole

Throh

Sawk

Sewaddle

Venipede

Cottonee

Petilil

Basculin

Sandile

Darumaka

Maractus

Dwebble

Scraggy

Trubbish

Minccino

Gothita

Solosis

Ducklett

Vanillite

Deerling

Emolga

Karrablast

Foongus

Frillish

Alomomola

Joltik

Ferroseed

Klink

Tynamo

Elgyem

Litwick

Axew

Cubchoo

Cryogonal

Shelmet

Stunfisk

Mienfoo

Druddigon

Golett

Pawniard

Bouffalant

Rufflet

Vullaby

Heatmor

Durant

Deino

Larvesta

Cobalion

Virizion

Terrakion

Tornadus

Thunderus

Zekrom

Reshiram

Edited by Ronman5

The first pokemon on the list is Snivy!

Snivy is the first of the Starter trio to rate, and honestly it is the least usefull overall of the starter trio. Serperior can be considered very similar to Sceptile from generation 3, except slightly slower, and with less attack and SPA but slightly higher bulk than Sceptile in all three areas (HP, Defense, and Special defense). Now Snivy has some hard obstacles against it that greatly effects its score and usefulness. In this game Snivy only gets grass and normal damaging moves through level up, even worse is that it doesn't get access to the powder moves that most other Grass starters got in the previous generation, with its only status move that causes damage being Leech seed, Which Snivy doesn't get until level 20.

Snivys tm moves in this generation do not do it any favors, as moves such as calm mind WOULD help... if it wasn't one of the postgame tms given by the 7 sages, in fact the three non damaging grass/normal move tms it gets are Rock smash (Which it gets at the second gym.... HOWEVER it cannot be used by Snivy until it evolves to Serperior at level 36) Aerial Ace (Which is found in Mistralion, the location of the 6th gym) and Dragon Tail (which it does not obtain till after beating the 8th gym) 

Snivy also does not learn many good moves, the best move it learns for a while will be Leaf Tornado, a 65bp damaging special attack move which it gets at level 16.. just one level before becoming a Servine. It also learns growth at level 13 shortly before it, which can help if you set up Sunny day to give it 2X attack and Special attack... but other than that your main option for a non grass move is going to be Strength or Slam, but in this case it gets strength earlier (as soon as you visit the house in Nimbasa that has it) and is 100% accurate for only a little less power over Slam. Lastly its strongest move will be Leaf blade (at level 32), and Giga drain at level 42. Serperior can learn Leaf storm, but it cannot be learned until level 62, which is much higher than the highest level on Ghestis's team at 55

One thing though that Snivy DOES have going for it is Coil, Coil increases Attack, Defense, and Accuracy by one stage, and is insanely usefull for Snivy as it can increase its defenses and accuracy. Unfortunatly it does not learn Coil until Servine hits level 36. 

Lastly is the matchups portion. In the first gym against Chili, Snivy will not do much of anything, unless you overtrain it... or can be used to faint Lillipup so that Panpour can easily beat Pansear (And be a backup incase Panpour/your mon to beat Pansear goes down). It fairs decently against Lenora, but horribly against Burgh. If Servine was in any other game it could do well against Elesa, however she carries twin Emolgas with Stab Aerial ace... and a Zebstrika with Flame charge. Servine does defeat Clay, only to lose hard against Skyla, Brycen, and Drayden/Iris. In fact the matchups in important battles such as Rival battles with Bianca and Cheren are essentially it can do neutrally well against 1/2 of Bianca's team (Musharna and Stoutland.) while also being great against Samurott…. while piss poor against Simisear. In Cherens case Serperior can only neutrally beat Liepard… and possibly Possibly Simisage… but loses hard to Unfezant and Emboar… unless you take unfezant out and coil a lot when Emboar isn't out and which can make Aerial ace do a lot of damage to Emboar…

As for the Elite Four, it has a good matchup against Shauntal's Jellicent and Golurk, while only possibly having a good matchup over Marshall and his fighting types.... unless Throh spams Storm throw, which is a guaranteed critical hit and will go through your Serperiors defenses it made with Coil, It also has one singular good matchup against Grimsley's Krookodile.

Finally Serperior only gets two good matchups in the final two battles, which are N's Carracosta and Ghestis's Seismitoad.

All in all, Serperior is a rather lackluster option as the starter. As much as it pains me to say that. It doesn't get much coverage moves, and by the time it gets coverage moves, the usefulness that those could have brought (such as TM for Aerial ace being after Burghs gym, who's ace is 4X weak to flying) would have been usefull far earlier in the adventure. Mostly it seems Serperior will be dead weight until you need to battle Water, Ground, and Rock pokemon… and even then a Water type (such as Simipour) and an electric type (Such as Zebstrika) can easily take that niche away from Serperior. This might seem a bit low to start off the series but trust me the options will get far FAR worse (such as Karrablast and Shelmet when I get to them...) I believe Serperior gets a 6/10, only because its there for every moment of the game, even if its not usefull for most of it (nor learn any good HM moves to compensate, with it learning cut and strength) 

giphy.gif

Edited by Ronman5

I have a special place for Snivy in my heart, mainly coming from choosing it for both my first playthrough of BW and B2W2. I just love good ol' Smugleaf. But yeah it's pretty terrible matchup wise. But honestly I think the regions diverse enough to where it can at least fill a slot and exist for what it needs to do, kill things weak to grass stab and not die trying in pretty much every case. And it gives the best monkey (and therefore the easiest Gym 1 fight, wow Pansear you suck until Lv 22), so that's a plus.

17 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

holy shit your gonna get bored of this, but props anyway! I really like snivys design, he's just so smug I love it.

Should be Easy fricking peasy… especially with all the mons thrown in at the end... though I do agree... I mean I screwed up that initial list a few times, cause for somereason my laptop kept deleting 10 of the names... might be me hitting the wrong keys a few times though

15 hours ago, Emerson said:

I have a special place for Snivy in my heart, mainly coming from choosing it for both my first playthrough of BW and B2W2. I just love good ol' Smugleaf. But yeah it's pretty terrible matchup wise. But honestly I think the regions diverse enough to where it can at least fill a slot and exist for what it needs to do, kill things weak to grass stab and not die trying in pretty much every case. And it gives the best monkey (and therefore the easiest Gym 1 fight, wow Pansear you suck until Lv 22), so that's a plus.

I know, but im talking about in general. Yes you can have 6 pokemon and yes most people (especially in gen 5 when they gave you a free lucky egg) would train 6 pokemon. My analysis is more how this pokemon does matchup wise against the tough trainers, and gyms/E4... 

Edited by Ronman5

Figured Id do another early morning post cause I hate myself... just like how the community hates this pokemon

Its the one, the only! BLAZIKEN! 

Spoiler

blaziken.gif

This pokemon is the worse piece of trash I have ever seen, like look at this stupid design by Gamefreak!

Ok joke about Blaziken aside, Emboar is incredibly good. Emboar can be seen with a similar stat spread as the last two fire starters before it. Emboar is similar to Blaziken, as Emboar has a high attack stat of 123. It also has a serviceable Special stat that is only slightly lower, just like Blaziken (although Blaziken has only a 10 point difference in attack/SPA while Emboar's SPA is 23 points lower than its attack.) This can make it a good special attacker, along with being a strong physical pokemon. Emboar has a high hp of 110, but lower defenses than both Blaziken and infernape, probally to balance how Emboar has more HP and attack than both of them, as Emboar has 65 in both defenses, and 65 in its speed.

The Tepig line gets access to three types of physical moves this being Fire, Fighting, and Rock (with Rollout). These three on their own are actually very useful, as Tepig is the only starter who can easily rush in and beat up Lenora.... that is if it doesn't get put to sleep by Watchog…. Emboar has good matchups against Lenora, Burgh, and Brycen. Also it has a great matchup against of nearly all of Grimsley's pokemon… except for Krookodile, unless you used flame charge then yeah He sweeps Grimsley. He also can perform decently against Shantaul. Where Emboar shines though is in the final two battles. In the Final battle against N he has a good matchup with 4 pokemon, Klinklang, Zoroark, Carracosta (Who luckily doesn't carry Solid Rock, meaning fighting type moves deal the full damage instead of 3/4th... but it does have sturdy) and Vanilluxe. ALSO if your playing Pokémon White version, It has a good matchup against Reshiram as Headsmash or any of the other rock moves would cause insane damage to Reshiram. Against Ghestis he is good against Boufallant, Bisharp, and Hydreigon. while also being able to neutrally take out Eelektross and Cofagrigus.

However Emboar has bad matchups against Elesa, Skyla, and Clay. Normally Dray/Iris would go here except the fighting type stab Emboar gets... and that neither Iris or Dray have a flying or ground type move. Skyla and Clay are self explanatory, however Elesa is more simpler, its the rag tag duo of Emolga.. who I actually found a trick to kill easily (Ive never beat Elesa "easily" in BW.... course I never used a certain zebra till my latest playthrough...)

Emboar learns some good moves, which includes a varied moveset of rock moves, such as Rock slide, and Rock tomb. Fighting moves such as Brick break, low sweep and Hammer Arm (Through heart scale) and a plethora of fire moves, who like Serperior sadly misses out on his strongest move, which is Flare blitz, until after the postgame. However it should be noted that Emboar barely gets Head smash in time for N... although I don't recommend head smash due to it being more.... risky

TMs is where Emboar truly shines though. With TMs Emboar gets access to some good moves that can help it counter ground and Rock types further. The tms it can get naturally range from niche to useful, with options to cover his special attack stat such as Scald (Where Emboar is one of two Pokémon to this day who can learn this move, and are fire type... with the other being Volcanion) Solarbeam, Focus blast (or Focus miss/F bomb to you competitive people) and also learns Bulldoze and Wild Charge. However those tms either take time to get (such as Wild Charge where its in Victini I mean Victory road) or requires backtracking/heading into sub areas to get (such as Rockslide from Mistralion cave, Focus blast from Wellspring cave, and Solarbeam in the Pinwheel forest).

Anyways I would give Emboar a very strong 9. This is because it doesn't get any good fighting moves except through TM's... which means up until the 7th gym, he can only have two stab fighting moves, Arm thrust and Rock smash.... However Fire fighting has been proven (especially by Infernape) to be one of the best type combinations to use in the main game, and Emboar is no different as it can essentially punch back every brick the game attempts to through at him. 9/10

Edit As @Joe Cool has mentioned, Emboar is actually the best Fire type and is either tied for, or is the best fighting type pokemon you can obtain. Emboar does not share the same flaws as the three other main fire type pokemon (Litwick who evolves late, and is not very good until it can be Chandelure… which is after the 8th gym at the earliest...., Darumaka who has to go through 20 levels of accuracy issues, and lastly Simisear who is quite difficult, and its learnset is not nearly as diverse as Emboars. for this Im updating his score to a perfect 10/10

Edited by Ronman5

20 hours ago, Ronman5 said:

I know, but im talking about in general. Yes you can have 6 pokemon and yes most people (especially in gen 5 when they gave you a free lucky egg) would train 6 pokemon. My analysis is more how this pokemon does matchup wise against the tough trainers, and gyms/E4... 

Of course, and I definitely agree with the rating. To be honest, I might even put it lower personally if we continue by comparing it to the other grass types in the region. Its only strong Gym matchup is Clay, and by then, you have sooooo many other grass types, most of which being much better at pure offense or status than Serperior, while generally losing out on bulk and/or speed. Lilligant comes to mind as a nuke that can really deal with things that aren't even weak to it, as well as Leavanny due to its much appreciated Bug STAB to help against half of the E4 (and resist the main type of another), although as a whole grass types don't fair too well in Unova, so dropping the type from your team as a whole isn't even too much of an issue, save for Clay's Palipitoad.

On to Tepig, it's absolutely a solid starter choice for the whole game. I think the main thing holding it back as a candidate for a team slot is how outclassed it is by Darmanitan. While Tepig is around from the start, it only truly comes into major relevance once you reach Gym 3, at which point Darumaka comes into play, with much more initial power thanks to Hustle boosted Fire Punch and a similar statline to Pignite, only losing out on bulk. However, when put completely on its own merits, Tepig is an extremely solid choice for an entire playthrough thanks to its STAB being so useful generally (Even if one has a low amount of moves, Arm Thrust can get the job done, plus break through Sturdy) and having nicely high bulk and power. It's just not the absolute best there is to offer for either of its typings.

Edited by Emerson

21 hours ago, Ronman5 said:

Anyways I would give Emboar a very strong 9. This is because it doesn't get any good fighting moves except through TM's... which means up until the 7th gym, he can only have two stab fighting moves, Arm thrust and Rock smash.... However Fire fighting has been proven (especially by Infernape) to be one of the best type combinations to use in the main game, and Emboar is no different as it can essentially punch back every brick the game attempts to through at him. 9/10

I mean Emboar's competition for ingame runs are essentially

For fire types

• Pansear, who sucks and is rare. 
  • Larvesta, who's late as fuck and comes at like level 1.
  • Litwick, who's sorta late but does fine if you want the dude. He's a pure special attacker though
  • Darumaka, who is great but let's be fair. Hustle is a bit annoying.
  • Heatmor, who may as well not exist and is mediocre.

For Fighting types

• Sawk, who's good but kinda rare.
  • Throh who's in the same boat as sawk in terms of availability but isn't as good. Probably not worth it over Emboar.
  • Mienfoo, who evolves late. Otherwise I'd probably say it's a worthwhile pickup?
  • Timburr. Eviolite Gurdurr is ok and Conkeldurr is obviously great. It's just that Eviolite being locked on Gurdurr lategame means no lucky egg use unless you specifically aim for it. Still it's a fine pokemon.
  • The Sacred Sword Trio are all fine lategame catches on their own.

Like almost all of the fire types suck outside of darumaka/litwick and almost all of the fighting types bar Sawk have the issue of either being late, having hassle in needing a trade evo/eviolite stapled on them, or just get outclassed by Emboar (throh). 

Seems to me that Emboar is basically able to mimick the role of Sawk+Darumaka in one go by being a diet version of both. Iirc, brick break isn't too difficult to get and Emboar's pretty much a fun pokemon.

I mean hey I love Emboar all around. It's fun to use with that crazy learnset. Fucking Scald is a good toy, and having easy access to a ridiculous amount of coverage is always fun. (I mean doesn't it get like head smash, heavy slam, and payback/assurance via lvl? jesus christ.)

I look forward to your Liepard writeup.

23 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

I mean Emboar's competition for ingame runs are essentially

For fire types

• Pansear, who sucks and is rare. 
  • Larvesta, who's late as fuck and comes at like level 1.
  • Litwick, who's sorta late but does fine if you want the dude. He's a pure special attacker though
  • Darumaka, who is great but let's be fair. Hustle is a bit annoying.
  • Heatmor, who may as well not exist and is mediocre.

For Fighting types

• Sawk, who's good but kinda rare.
  • Throh who's in the same boat as sawk in terms of availability but isn't as good. Probably not worth it over Emboar.
  • Mienfoo, who evolves late. Otherwise I'd probably say it's a worthwhile pickup?
  • Timburr. Eviolite Gurdurr is ok and Conkeldurr is obviously great. It's just that Eviolite being locked on Gurdurr lategame means no lucky egg use unless you specifically aim for it. Still it's a fine pokemon.
  • The Sacred Sword Trio are all fine lategame catches on their own.

Like almost all of the fire types suck outside of darumaka/litwick and almost all of the fighting types bar Sawk have the issue of either being late, having hassle in needing a trade evo/eviolite stapled on them, or just get outclassed by Emboar (throh). 

Seems to me that Emboar is basically able to mimick the role of Sawk+Darumaka in one go by being a diet version of both. Iirc, brick break isn't too difficult to get and Emboar's pretty much a fun pokemon.

I mean hey I love Emboar all around. It's fun to use with that crazy learnset. Fucking Scald is a good toy, and having easy access to a ridiculous amount of coverage is always fun. (I mean doesn't it get like head smash, heavy slam, and payback/assurance via lvl? jesus christ.)

I look forward to your Liepard writeup.

Yes I see your point, also you forgot to mention that Larvesta evolves super late (level 59) 

Also you forgot Scraggy, But he doesn't add much to the point, as he is relatively weak.... although at the Elite four he really shines as he can effortlessly beat 3/4 E4 members (especially since Caitlyn and Shauntal don't have focus blast on any pokemon)

Anyways I see your point, I'll give him an 10, as he is the best starter and overall the best Fire pokemon/Fighting type. Maybe I shouldn't write these at 3am.

Edited by Ronman5

i mean Emboar/Samurott are good due to the lack of good pokemon within the fire/fighting/water pokemon. 

that and they have stupidly large learnsets. Serperior got fucked over hard.

1 minute ago, Joe Cool said:

i mean Emboar/Samurott are good due to the lack of good pokemon within the fire/fighting/water pokemon. 

that and they have stupidly large learnsets. Serperior got fucked over hard.

I agree horribly with this point... which is pretty ironic considering a gen later Serperior became incredibly overpowered while the other two sit in the PU tier (Samu) and RU tier (Emboar) and that's probally changed a bit still (with emboar dropping to NU I think) So its ironic Serperior is the weakest of them this gen, then next gen he becomes very powerful..

Also I play competitive so yeah... that's also why I keep mentioning bases.

Spoiler

5bc6aa8bb76ae_Pokmon_Oshawott_Dewott_Samurott_art.png.1064ca8b09e0cfff6551238fc5f42cda.png Yes im going to do this for every image 

Anyways time for the one I will have the most trouble being unbiased on... Samurott.

Samurott is the usual "bulky water type" starter we are used to seeing. Samurott has good defensive bases (90 hp, 85 defense, 70 special defense) while also having good attack and special attack stats, at 100 attack and 108 special attack. Also it has 70 base speed 

Alright so its ability to outspeed the slow gen 7 and the starters of gen 7 aside, Samurott is incredibly strong and resilient. Upon evolving into Dewott, Oshawott learns perhaps the most valuable stab move it could ever have... Razor shell. I mean Game freak gave this Pokémon a 75 base stab water move WITH the ability to lower the opponents defense by one stage. This is incredibly helpful in gym and important battles, as If you do enough damage to hurt with Razor shell, and you opponent heals next turn, if the defense drops you could possibly kill them.

As for TM variation, it gets usefull moves that can help early, such as Rock smash... Normally I would also mention dig... but its not exactly usefull when you have Zebstrika (who outspeeds) as your only victim for it, as Emolga is immune, and Joltik it does immune damage... and Eelektross has levitate so yeah... However when you arrive in Mistralion you get your best choices yet. See in Mistralion you obtain the usefull Xscizzor and Aerial Ace tms. These two Tms help cover Bug, Grass, psychic and dark... normally I pick Xscizzor over Aerial ace as Samurott has two other great points in moveslots. It gets access to 4 hms meaning you can use it as an HM Slave with Xscizzor as your last choice, and three of the Hms are great moves for it to know (surf, Waterfall, and Strength). Oh and I nearly forgot to say it gets Blizzard... like all other water starters, making it usefull against dragon and flying.

Alright so for Gyms and important trainers, Samurott does extremely well against Clay, Brycen (because it can eat all moves that the ice type mons try to hurt it with, and can use revenge to kill said ice types). He does average against Lenora, and Burgh (except against his Leavanny) as well as Skyla and the dragon leader (through Blizzard). There is only one gym he truly falls flat in and that is Elesa's gym. As for E4, he does neutrally against all four members, except for some of their pokemon (like Krookodile or Chandelure). Lastly there is N and Ghestis. N has him easily beating Archeops, but in whole he does neutrally well against every pokemon for both N and Ghestis, minus N's legendary, and Ghestis's Eelektross and Hydreigon. 

In all Samurott is an extremely solid choice, who if caught can literally fill a role of being an HM slave, or a dueler who can use his moveslots to try and duel other types (like blizzard for dragon, or Xscizzor for Grass/dark/psychic) In all he is a solid choice for most of the game, and can only has one gym where he is truly weak in. 

In all Samurott is the one of the best water types for this game, the other "best" water type I will save for a post sooner or later (Hint hint, lets make some sweet music together :P) but yeah I would have to say 9.5/10 for his ability to remain so neutral for the rest of the game... and to be given such a powerful stab so early In the game. Samurott is truly the grey area specialist of this game.... 

3 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

I coulda sworn samurott got swords dance and megahorn.

It does: Megahorn is a Heart Scale move and Swords Dance is pretty high level (57)

Samurott is by far my favourite of these starters. It's got solid move variety, decent mixed offence and does't have much issue despite the lower speed (helped by rock and ground tending towards less speed). Sure Razor Shell is 75 power, but it's learned early on, is great from then on and is actually a decent endgame move. I will say though that Hydreigon is a tricky beast at the best of times, Ghetsis's is tough for nearly anything to fight and in competing with others.... Well, I only won with paralysis and the best Whimsicott I could ask for.

I think you not mentioning the first gym is a strange thing, though saying "They're ready to defeat you" would be boring, I get it.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

It does: Megahorn is a Heart Scale move and Swords Dance is pretty high level (57)

Samurott is by far my favourite of these starters. It's got solid move variety, decent mixed offence and does't have much issue despite the lower speed (helped by rock and ground tending towards less speed). Sure Razor Shell is 75 power, but it's learned early on, is great from then on and is actually a decent endgame move. I will say though that Hydreigon is a tricky beast at the best of times, Ghetsis's is tough for nearly anything to fight and in competing with others.... Well, I only won with paralysis and the best Whimsicott I could ask for.

I think you not mentioning the first gym is a strange thing, though saying "They're ready to defeat you" would be boring, I get it.

Yeah the first gym is intentially set up to beat you so you would be FORCED to get the Monkey... by the by im going to avoid the first gym mentions when we get to the monkeys too, as they were created to beat the first gym....

However for Patrat, Lillipup and Purrloin I will mention the first gym... (Especially Lillpup who actually can beat the gym easily)

Also I did forget swords dance, but yeah it learns it only in time for the final two matches (if you grind) and as for Megahorn I did forget about it, however the stuff for Xscizzor applies to megahorn, except its stronger at base, but has a chance to miss. 

Anyways Patrat will be later today

1 hour ago, Ronman5 said:

Yeah the first gym is intentially set up to beat you so you would be FORCED to get the Monkey... by the by im going to avoid the first gym mentions when we get to the monkeys too, as they were created to beat the first gym....

However for Patrat, Lillipup and Purrloin I will mention the first gym... (Especially Lillpup who actually can beat the gym easily)

Also I did forget swords dance, but yeah it learns it only in time for the final two matches (if you grind) and as for Megahorn I did forget about it, however the stuff for Xscizzor applies to megahorn, except its stronger at base, but has a chance to miss. 

Anyways Patrat will be later today

hmn the monkeys are pretty funky.

I'd probably guess that Panpour is probably the best one since it gets scald at lvl 22 and then you can promote asap after that and then get decent stats with scald+3 coverage moves.

Spoiler

watchog_v_2_by_xous54-d4a9mli.png.a475b244dd787b944bd05a0307a17fe5.png     Ironically the best thing I could find, was going to be a meme lol

Sorry this took so long, I had to gather my thoughts on Watchog. Watchog is more or less decent, and that's only because of one thing, its access to Super fang and Hypnosis. 

Watchog is average at best in all stats, with 60 hp, 85 attack, 69 defense, 60 spa, 60 special d, and 77 speed puts it at middling in every stat. I mean the only good thing it gets is that it can more than likely live through some (or most) unboosted attacks from non fighting types, and any pokemon who doesn't use a strong fighting move.

This averageness in its stats and combat is what urks me. However it can learn a variety of attacks such as Crunch at level 16, and super fang at level 21 (22 if you decide to evolve Patrat at level 20 instead of waiting just one level, but its not a big difference) However the most defining thing is its ability to put pokemon to sleep with hypnosis (at level 18) confuse them (level 20) and take half health away (level 20) This can make it a stronger threat, especially since confusion in this gen has a higher chance (in gen 1-6 Confusion had a 50% chance to make your opponent hit themselves, in the latest gen its 33%).

This all seems well and good but heres the downside, Watchog is more of a suicide lead and not taken as anything strong. I mean you have to rely on a 60% chance with hypnosis hitting to get sleep off, and even with super fang every battle its in is tedious and dull. The biggest use he might have is weakening a tough pokemon down (such as lets say the dragon gyms Haxorus) to 50% making it easier for others to defeat the mon but still...

Anyways for the first gym hes a hard sell as Lillipup would probably give him a run for his money, but he could possibly tank the monkeys hits decently. For Lenora it should be close to evolving and becoming a real threat for the midgame.

The midgame is where it shines the best, with trainers such as Burgh (who it can tank most hits, but has trouble with dwebble) and Elesa (who it can take neutral damage from her mons, but attack hard in return) is where its best. Starting with Clay though Watchog becomes much weaker, and by the time of the dragon gym, Watchog will more than likely be too weak to do anything besides super fang.

I didn't even mention yet it cant even hit ghosts with superfang as it doesn't have access to forsight. due to its problems combat wise in the second half of the game Id say Watchog is a 5/10 for it being strong in the early game, but falling flatter and flatter the more the game goes on.