How much might Three Houses be graphically polished by the time we next see it?

Dinar87

Considering the last Fire Emblem home console titles were Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, which both ran at 60fps for the most part, even if the graphics themselves sometimes looked horrible (the bandit model and other things look like N64 tier models in Path of Radiance, a gamecube game).

I mainly care about this stuff as a higher frame rate would really enhance the animations and game feel, and may even allow IS to make animations like this again!

What do you guys think? Does this sort of fluidity and smoothness matter to you? Do you think stuff like the textures will be improved by the time we see the game next? 

A good amount, I heard that polishing the textures and the overall experience comes near the end of game development. Because from the first trailer, it looks like a rough ps2 game. While I understand it's Intelligent Systems first major game on the Switch, I still expect quality. Say, didn't other games on the console had a rough first trailer that improved in the final version? 

My expectations aren't too high.  I imagine the version shown off in the next trailer we get will look like an improvement, but still not anything to write home about.

At any rate, I don't believe we're ever going to get animations on the same level of detail and over-the-top-ness as the GBA games again, especially not in 3D.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

What part of Three Houses even needs graphical polish. The game, as shown at E3, is absolutely gorgeous. 

The graphical style looks great imo...but the frame rate looks worrying so far, very choppy for some things.

As long as there are no major frame issues i honestly tend not to care too much, although I really like the idea (s)ad touch about a retro gba mode. I doubt it will happen this time around but I can see it maybe eventually happening but it is just something I never really thought of that would just be really cool to see.

What I'm Expecting:

• The random soldiers will have better textures and models than what they currently do.
    • I'm also expecting them to randomize their faces a bit, so it doesn't look like everyone is leading an army of clones.
  • The battle animations will be more in the line of Echoes, and will be much faster-paced, dynamic, and with more power behind the strikes than how they currently look.
  • The environments will have more detail to them. Maybe even expanding up the environmental interaction (such as how the grass could be cut up in Echoes).
  • The pop-in/out issue of background soldiers won't be present.
  • I personally haven't noticed it (but then again, I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second without a side-by-side comparison) but they'll fix any framerate issues.
  • They'll fix the clipping issues present in both the trailer (Byleth's sleeves and the knife he has on his belt experienced some clipping) and the previous 3DS games (Some of the armor wasn't built with long haired characters in mind, and while this was forgivable in Awakening and Fates due to this situation mostly coming due to reclassing, it jarringly blatant in Echoes).
  • They'll improve the Critical Cut-In. It looked kind of unfinished in the trailer. (Then again, I could just be tired with the critical hits having a one-liner and picture before the attack. It's cool, but it's run it's course).
    • On the same note, they'll improve the critical hit animation. It may not be ridiculously over the top, but it'll be something better than "hit the enemy really hard".
  • Overall polishing of the models, textures, animations, etc.

What I'm Hoping (But Not Holding My Breath) For:

• Some real life techniques being used in combat. Such as using the Mordhau.
  • More realistic clothing damage. None of Fates nonsense, but having clothing slowly get cuts and tears throughout the battle would still be cool.
  • Missed arrows would stick in the ground or in trees for the remainder of the battle.
  • Maybe have certain attacks, spells, etc. affect the world map, such as having trees get knocked over, or a piece of land being scorched by a fire spell, or maybe even have the corpses of defeated enemies be present during close-ups.
  • Giving magic fancier animations, especially for critical hits. Have stuff like the mage look like they're barely controlling an overloaded fire spell, or have the grass, leaves, and capes react to wind spells, or have thunder/lightning spells be used like Fore lightning from Star Wars. I'd like them more interesting than the general "I chuck a fireball at my opponent".
  • I'm iffy on blood. I've seen it used effectively within the T-rating, but I don't know whether or not it would be fitting for Fire Emblem.
Edited by Hawkwing

I think the game looked pretty good as is, there were a few issues but they were the typical beta/alpha version issues like clipping, muddier textures, etc. Itll be polished up some more without a doubt though.

Probably a bit more I'm sure what we saw was an Alpha/Beta version of the game back in the development stages. I'm positive the battle animations will be a hell of alot better, smoother and fluid like Echoes's animations than what we seen so far, the graphics more prettier, better framerates, polished models, less muddy and clipping. The graphics already look amazing to me though so it getting better is awesome! Oh the wait for the next trailer is brutal....

One note I hope battle damage returns(or at least an option in menus) I'm used to it after Fates, Warriors and even more clear in Heroes it makes sense and is realistic that clothes/armor would takes its toll overtime after every battle.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

i would kill for them to ditch the animation studio theyre using right now and go back to the one they had do Fates. Fates 3DCG cutscenes are astonishingly beautiful; imagine that on the big screen. i fear that may be a stretch though, considering how far along we are into development already. 

other than that, i agree with a lot of what was already said. if they could improve it so it doesnt look so.. bland, and kind of out-dated, i'd be real pleased. would even be able to turn a blind eye to studio khara. 

I expect the frame rate to be fixed by the next trailer. The textures will be nicer as well, and it might not have as much clipping but I don't think anybody should expect too much from the visuals for this one. It is their first time working on the Switch as well as working on something with as much power as it has. Think of how they didn't add feet to the Awakening models because they didn't think they could, but then they updated the models for Fates once they learned how much they could do.

Even so, I believe the majority of their hard work is going to go towards the main hub/towns and major battles. Just look at the difference between the tutorial fight's battlegrounds and the academy. The tutorial area looks like a generic plain battlefield with some trees thrown in, but the academy seemed to have so much detail put into the little we saw of it.

The visuals are honestly fine so far and will definitely be cleaner by release. The 3DS was holding the true power they could've achieve back and now that's no longer an issue anymore. JRPG anime games always look the best cell shaded realistic only works if its intended to be that way. That being said the character models, framerate, textures, weapon models, hub areas, possible dungeons, battle animation, lighting and mouth syncing will be the most polished up the plain area with the trees and rocks already looks so good to me so that's fine.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

I am not expecting too much on the graphical side of things, though frame rate issues should be generally resolved by release. Bear in mind that this is IntSys and the Fire Emblem team's first dive into a HD Fire Emblem game and the first FE console game since Radiant Dawn. I can imagine the transition from 3DS to Switch being very daunting for employees on the team who don't have a lot of experience on console-level games. I wouldn't be surprised if some work on the game is being outsourced to other development teams (like some of Breath of the Wild being handled by Monolith Soft).  As for cutscenes, if Khara's primary focus is on the new Evangelion movie, don't expect too much effort on them. 

On 10/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, senior firehood said:

evrything will be alright! think about it! the graphics was at the trailer very lame.....but if we see the next direct...it will be better...cause its on switch, see what beatiful graphics xenoblade an zelade had......it lookkked beatiful"!

Yeah pretty much just watch!

• 2 weeks later...

considering this is intelligent systems we are dealing with, I would say it could go either way, there was an egregious graphical glitch in fates that ruined a class for me (no it was not clipping it was far worse than that, it was an actual oversight) and that was never resolved, so it could go either way.

2 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

considering this is intelligent systems we are dealing with, I would say it could go either way, there was an egregious graphical glitch in fates that ruined a class for me (no it was not clipping it was far worse than that, it was an actual oversight) and that was never resolved, so it could go either way.

What was this glich exactly? I started playing recently and don't think i met it yet.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:17 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

What are you referring to?

On 11/6/2018 at 12:14 AM, anikom15 said:

What are you referring to?

On 11/3/2018 at 11:14 PM, RexBolt said:

What was this glich exactly? I started playing recently and don't think i met it yet.

spoilered because I cannot stress this enough, this will ruin a class for you if you know about it and play with animations on, do not check if you don't want to deal with it

Spoiler

the witch class' head is not properly attached to the body, this causes the head to appear higher up than usual and a textureless area can be seen at the base of the neck, this was never fixed, this is universal to the class itself meaning that anyone using the class has the problem.

35 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

spoilered because I cannot stress this enough, this will ruin a class for you if you know about it and play with animations on, do not check if you don't want to deal with it

Hide contents

the witch class' head is not properly attached to the body, this causes the head to appear higher up than usual and a textureless area can be seen at the base of the neck, this was never fixed, this is universal to the class itself meaning that anyone using the class has the problem.

Thank you. Good thing i didn't and had no intention of getting DLC classes.

7 hours ago, anikom15 said:

I love clickbait.

given the context, I assume that was at me

look, that was absolutely egregious on their part, it really ruined the class for me, once you see it you really can't help but look at it and it is real proof that IS really doesn't give a crap, someone signed off on it and said "yes, this is good", this is why I am not getting my hopes up for the new game to look much better, they never bothered to fix it.