Retooled Units

Jingle Jangle

Time to time in Heroes I have noticed that some units may have been intended to serve a different purpose than in the game. The default Nino, had a red tome despise being a green unit in game. Maybe she was supposed to be red, but that ruined the mage distribution for each color? Or the inclusion of colored archers  to promote later archers and LegLyn. More frequently I have noticed that the seasonal armor units may not been originally intended to be armor units. Since the armor units at launch had bigger sprites than infantry with them including shields and other large equipment. Now maid Kagero is considered armor, despite looking the same as the other maids in the game. The same can be said to other units in the game.

For the future I'm sure it will continue to make more niche units for players.

That's a good point about Nino's tome. It would be interesting to have a list of all units whose arts don't fit their base kits, like Cherche; she only just got the axe in her art, and it has a different name than it did in Awakening (if I recall correctly).

13 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

That's a good point about Nino's tome. It would be interesting to have a list of all units whose arts don't fit their base kits, like Cherche; she only just got the axe in her art, and it has a different name than it did in Awakening (if I recall correctly).

To add on to Cherche, Camilla and Titania had different weapons until they got refinements. But if we were to go through every single unit, we would be here for a while,

I'll go ahead and list a few: Navarre, Narcian, Lyn, Ursula, Tana, Joshua, Libra, Azura, etc.

@DefyingFates Here's a bunch of observations on the subject, though it's hardly a comprehensive list:

On Cherche: I thought the axe in her art was Helswath from Awakening, though now that she's gotten a refinery buff and didn't get Helswath I'm thinking that it's gonna go to Lex if he ever gets into Heroes.

For something I found kinda noticeable, there's Saber, who looks like he's got the Audhulma in his art for some reason (instead of the Slaying Edge he actually comes with), and Joshua, who doesn't look like he's using Audhulma in his art (instead he's using what looks like a Slaying Edge, or maybe a Shamshir?). I wouldn't call it especially notable (Joshua at least has Slaying Edge as his pre-Audhulma weapon so I can kinda see him having that in his art, though generally units with prfs have weapons that look like their prfs in their art so that is a bit odd, but I have no explanation for Saber), except that they look like they borrowed each other's weapons for a bit.

Another thing is that nobody who's using a Gem weapon (Ruby Sword/Sapphire Lance/Emerald Axe) is actually using a Gem weapon in their art. Most of them look like they're either possibly using Silver weapons, future prf weapons (Titania, who literally got a weapon that looks like the one she actually uses in her art, and Azura, who hasn't gotten a prf yet but she's got a Blessed Lance from Fates in her art and I'm fairly certain she's gonna get a Blessed Lance via refinery update in the future, unless they Raven her and give her a completely different weapon altogether for some reason), there's Arthur who's using a Steel Axe in his art, Narcian appears to have a poleaxe in his art, and finally there's Hinata, who's using a regular katana that might be a Killing Edge and makes me kinda suspect that he was going to have Killing Edge in his base kit at one point before getting the Ruby Sword instead... though Hana also has a katana in her art and she's got an Armorslayer, so that might be nothing.

Same thing goes with units using Brave weapons, for some reason. Barst in particular looks like he's got some kind of hatchet instead of a Brave weapon (I mean, he is The Hatchet, so it makes sense, but still), while Raven... looks like he's not using a Brave Axe or Basilikos, more like he's got a Poleaxe, which I find weird (Camilla at least got a prf that looks kinda like the one in her art). Gordin at least looks like he might be using a Brave Bow, but Klein's art bow looks more like a bigger Silver Bow (which I guess fits with him being a Silver Nobleman, but it doesn't really reflect the weapon he actually comes with). Also, Donnel is using an Iron Lance.
Ogma's weapon at least resembles a Brave Sword though.

Also, Roderick and Soleil look more like they're using Silver weapons in their art instead of their Firesweep weapons, and Faye is using what I think is an Iron Bow instead of Firesweep Bow.

Among units with prf weapons, Lyn looks like she's using a shorter, not-yellow katana (Mani Katti?), Seigbert looks like he's using a redder Silver Sword with a yellow hilt instead of the Dark Greatsword, I'm not sure what Tana's supposed to be using but it isn't Vidofnir, Kinshi Hinoka's art bow is less detailed than the Warrior Princess (doesn't have the wings), and again, Raven has a weapon in his art that doesn't look like either of the weapons he now comes with, and I'm certain there are others.

So, to sum up: A decent number of units without prf weapons don't look like they're using the weapon they come with in their art, and even when units do get prfs that's not a guarantee that their art will match up with the weapon (see: Raven, and also Felicia who uses a dagger in her art but now has a prf that's a plate).

One final point: Kaze doesn't look like he has a weapon at all in his art. Which I just find weird. Am I supposed to believe that he's somehow throwing those blades on his forearms at enemies?

Edited by ILikeKirbys

@ILikeKirbys The vast majority of units without exclusive weapons (and without weapons with their names on them or seasonal weapons) do not have a specific weapon (of any sort) in their artwork. It's not even that they're different weapons; they're weapons, generic or otherwise, that simply don't exist in Heroes.

And Saber's weapon isn't quite the same as Audhumla. Audhumla's cross guard doesn't have a backwards-pointing spike, and Audhumla's head is a double spade, whereas Saber's sword is straight.

Edited by Ice Dragon

16 hours ago, ILikeKirbys said:

For something I found kinda noticeable, there's Saber, who looks like he's got the Audhulma in his art for some reason (instead of the Slaying Edge he actually comes with), and Joshua, who doesn't look like he's using Audhulma in his art (instead he's using what looks like a Slaying Edge, or maybe a Shamshir?). I wouldn't call it especially notable (Joshua at least has Slaying Edge as his pre-Audhulma weapon so I can kinda see him having that in his art, though generally units with prfs have weapons that look like their prfs in their art so that is a bit odd, but I have no explanation for Saber), except that they look like they borrowed each other's weapons for a bit.

Saber's sword does share many design elements with Audhulma, but as Ice Dragon noted, there are some differences. It seems possible that the artist was inspired by Audhulma. There are a lot of artwork inconsistencies, such as the Black Knight's armor design which varies a little between poses. The curved design on each side of the breastplate are regular curves in the attacking art, but full spirals in the damaged art. The lower central armor plate only has a silver "down" arrow in most poses (Zelgius' design included), but the Black Knight's damaged art has both "down" and "up" arrows.

Edited by Tree