Names you like

indigoasis

I generally like European names.  Maybe it's just bias as they're more familiar to me than names from other cultures, but names like Heinrich, Winchester, and Bonaparte just ring so well in my ears.

Don't like the short and simple names though, like Tom or Ben.  Thomas, Thompson, Benson, and Benjamin are better.

Also, I've incidentally named a lot of original characters under the convention of starting with the letters J or D.  I've made a Jack, John, Jane, Jake, Jaimmie, Johnathan, David, Davis, Derick, Dupont, and even a made up name "Dursa" (which I got from KOTOR's random name generator).

And Lyndis and Nadine are just nice sounding names.  Coincidentally, those are kind of the names of my favorite playable characters in Valkyria Chronicles 1.

Twilight kinda ruined Edward for me lol. The Dawn Brigade myrmidon has always been Eddie to me because it fits him better.

If/when I eventually meet my soul mate, I hope he's okay with a son named Drake. As in dragon, not male duck lol. A daughter could be Stella but I'm more willing to compromise with another girl name. I just really want a little dragon boy dammit.

For OCs I tend to just name them whatever sounds good and I use name generators and Behind the Name a lot. 

I really like the name Farrah for some reason. Sounds like pharaoh, but feminine. I like a lot of 'F' names, like Felix, Frederick, Felicity, etc.

I don't know if any of you have watched the old Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special from the 60s, but Rudolf and Clarisse are some great names. They don't seem to be too popular, unfortunately.

I love the names Tyler and Kian. Kian especially because it's the name of an important character from a book that heavily impacted me during my childhood.

Then there's names like Maria, Scarlett, Euphemia and Robin. If I ever have a daughter, she's definitely being called Euphemia. I just love how it sounds, and how it's spelt.

Joshua sounds good imho, so not a suprise that Joshua became a favourite character of mine just by his name :D
Benedek (which is nowadays becomeing more and more popular here) is also a pretty cool name
After Ephraim, Ephram and Efraim are also some good ones to me
Well, and then there is Narcissus (Narcisszusz in Hungarian), which I kinda like, but would hesitate to give this name to anyone
/also, any version or short form of Leonard, and also the feminine versions (Leonóra, etc...), I really like this one actually/

For females, Daniella, Titanilla, Cecília all sounds good, probably because of that "-la" ending, idk
For non-hungarian ones, Chloe and Joanna both are nice

All in all, I think I prefer longer name over short ones, but other than that, it's really all about how good they sound to me

Edited by coldhand25

For female names: Danielle, Camila, Alana, Whitney, Stella and Noelia holds a special place since that would be my name if I were born female, according to my parents.

For male names: Alan, Drake, John, Pedro and Hector.

Huh.

uh... I like the name Princip for some reason, even while i am aware of the guy who effectively started the second world war who had it as his last name. (Gavrilo Princip)

Caroline sounds nice too, and can be shortened to Carol for christmas jokes and such.

17 hours ago, indigospace said:

I don't know if any of you have watched the old Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special from the 60s, but Rudolf and Clarisse are some great names. They don't seem to be too popular, unfortunately.

Has anybody made red nosed reindeer jokes about Emperor Rudolf from SoV yet? Because if not, somebody should. I honestly can't see the name Rudolf or Rudolph (how it's actually spelled) without thinking of the Christmas story.

Clarisse is a good name! It also appears in the Percy Jackson books as a daughter of Ares.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Has anybody made red nosed reindeer jokes about Emperor Rudolf from SoV yet? Because if not, somebody should. I honestly can't see the name Rudolf or Rudolph (how it's actually spelled) without thinking of the Christmas story.

Spoiler

Related image

Spoiler

Image result for fire emblem echoes rudolf meme

Spoiler

Bonus:

Image result for fire emblem echoes rudolf meme

Related image

(Last one is a Metal Gear meme, by the way.

As for the topic itself, I'd say names that have a meaning behind it that are fitting for the person or character in question when you learn what the definition of it. While it's far from the only example, I tend to prefer Biblical names because it's rife with this:

Spoiler

Adam: Man (is)

Seth: Appointed

Enosh: Mortal

Kenan: Sorrow; (but)

Mahalalel: The Blessed God

Jared: Shall come down

Enoch: Teaching

Methuselah: His death shall bring 

Lamech: The Despairing

Noah: Comfort, Rest

One among many examples.

Credit and thanks to Chuck Missler's "Learn the Bible in 24 Hours" study for revealing this, even if it took our study group over a year to get through the whole thing.

Not sure how common it is if at all, but I do think Malika would be a good girls' name. It's Arabic for "queen". I chose it for one of my many EO characters. 

For a certainly real one, I think I'll agree Leona is good.

Also, not a name in use, but I do think Aniel would be a good boy's name. Sure I heard it in SMT as the name of an angel (at least it isn't Metatron), but a number of names have "el" in it in English due to Abrahamic origins: Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Rachel, Elizabeth.

For more, well real boys names, Kieran (in spite of the FE character) is one I really like. A hint of exotic, but unlike something like Lucius/Lucian, it has some grounding, I could see it as a name in daily use. Issac might be another male name I like. Typically, I think I prefer "softer" names to "hard" ones for males, this is subjective though of course.

22 hours ago, indigospace said:

I like the name Edward because it sounds like a really classy name to me. I don't hear it often, either.

Hey that's me thank you very much.

If I were a woman I don't know what name I would like but my grandma says she would like Isabel or Betzabeth, but if I had daughters I would probably call them Laura and the other one Mia since those are cute-ish names. 

If I had 2 sons I would call one Edurardo the IV but officially Eduardo IV because of how spanish works and the other would be Either Evan Nicholas like my brother or like my grandma says Sebastian is a cool name, Juan (Juan de Dios ws his technical name but everyone said Juan) as a tribute to my deceased grandfather would also be good.

Edited by Critical Sniper

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

but if I had daughters I would probably call them Laura and the other one Mia since those are cute-ish names. 

Laura is a cute name, indeedy!

Most names I chose were according to my nationality, because having a Micaiah around spanish-esque names could lead to many issues. Too bad because Lute Humeres doesn't have that ring to it...

@Hawkwing Thank you those are awesome. I find it ironic that Jedah is similar to Jedi, yet he's more of a Sith. I don't get the last one with Saber and Jesse but I didn't play Metal Gear so...

59 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A hint of exotic, but unlike something like Lucius/Lucian, it has some grounding,

I actually used Lucian for an OC. Melia's son. It sounds like an entia name. Their names are generally more exotic sounding than homs names. Homs have fantasy ish names too but yeah, Lucian just fits one of those snooty birdies better. Except he's not entirely snooty. He's actually kind of an unfortunate ladies' man type lol. Hilarious, especially when Melia tells him to "stop acting like a perverted testosterone laden homs".

5 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Noelia holds a special place since that would be my name if I were born female, according to my parents.

I would be Zach if I was male. I kinda like the name.

1 hour ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Laura is a cute name, indeedy!

I have a phobia of the name Laura due to a certain incident two months ago...

I'm mostly a fan of Greek and Latin names. Perseus, Alexander, Hector, Thalia, Diana, Jason... Jason inherently sounds harmless, no offense to any Jasons here.

Did you know that Perseus means "avenger" in Greek? Therefore, if you want your kid to be in the MCU, name him Perseus.

Edited by Purple Mage

On 10/15/2018 at 6:02 PM, Purple Mage said:

I have a phobia of the name Laura due to a certain incident two months ago...

Which you honestly need to drop and move on with your life, at the end of the day it was just a big argument on the internet with people who will never see you in person, and on the internet people tend to be nastier so...yeah.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:02 PM, Purple Mage said:

Did you know that Perseus means "avenger" in Greek? Therefore, if you want your kid to be in the MCU, name him Perseus.

That's cool! I don't know why I didn't know that.

I'll stick with Drake myself. I don't want my son to be one of the victims of Thanos, so better for him not to be in the MCU.

I have a fondness for Greek/Russian and mythological names. Alexander (always my favorite), Nikolai (my son’s name), Mikhail, Artemis, Persephone (surprisingly popular these days! I know more than one, usually use Sephie as a nickname, which is cute), Calliope, Guinevere (what my son would’ve been had he been a girl), Dmitri, etc.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:53 PM, (s)ad touch said:

uh... I like the name Princip for some reason, even while i am aware of the guy who effectively started the second world war who had it as his last name. (Gavrilo Princip)

I think it was the first world war.

Also, as a side note, I like to tell people that WWI started because of a sandwich. Mr. Princip was part of a group of assassins trying to take out Franz Ferdinand, and after several failed attempts, Princip gave up and went to a sandwich shop. After he left, Ferdinand was heading down the road the sandwich shop was on, and so Princip took his chance.

It honestly sounds stupid at first, but it makes sense when you look into it, I swear.

2 minutes ago, indigospace said:

I think it was the first world war.

Also, as a side note, I like to tell people that WWI started because of a sandwich. Mr. Princip was part of a group of assassins trying to take out Franz Ferdinand, and after several failed attempts, Princip gave up and went to a sandwich shop. After he left, Ferdinand was heading down the road the sandwich shop was on, and so Princip took his chance.

It honestly sounds stupid at first, but it makes sense when you look into it, I swear.

Yeah it was the first one, I didn't catch that detail to correct, oops.

And that is crazy but believable.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

And that is crazy but believable.

The first World War as a whole could have been avoided so many times, yet tragically every scenario that would have prevented the war was sidestepped by history.

Edited by Hawkwing