Is Conquest Lunatic Fun?

ChickenWings

If you are actually enjoying FE:A Lunatic (I won't approach it with a 10-foot pole after my last experience with it), I don't know. Unlike FE:A Lunatic, Conquest Lunatic is fair. Difficult, but it's at least fair and was actually playtested unlike Lunatic Awakening

Edited by Arcphoenix

16 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

If you are actually enjoying FE:A Lunatic (I won't approach it with a 10-foot pole after my last experience with it), I don't know. Unlike FE:A Lunatic, Conquest Lunatic is fair. Difficult, but it's at least fair and was actually playtested unlike Lunatic Awakening

What was your last experience? I think I can help you enjoy FE:A Lunatic more.

This is gonna sound crazy, but I think Lunatic+ was playtested somewhat to make sure you don't break the game that easily.

3 hours ago, ChickenWings said:

What was your last experience? I think I can help you enjoy FE:A Lunatic more.

This is gonna sound crazy, but I think Lunatic+ was playtested somewhat to make sure you don't break the game that easily.

The chapter when Virion and Sully join. They die to anything on the map in that level despite it being their joining point

35 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

The chapter when Virion and Sully join. They die to anything on the map in that level despite it being their joining point

They're not supposed to train there. At best they chip. Your avatar (or Chrom) should be strong enough to fight the monsters there.

Use water trick to help avatar get started.

Edited by ChickenWings

I am actually playing through Conquest Lunatic right now. Everytime I play it, I end up regretting it around chapter 17. It is a blast of a time up until then, but enemies starting hitting super hard around that time. Silver weapons abound throughout each chapter and they really wreck any unit who has decent to bad defense stats. I am not complaining about the difficulty, because anyone can make it through this game with some patience, but I am not a fan of having to keep anyone but Xander, Effie, Camilla, or Silas off of the front lines. Of course that is not entirely true, but it would be nice to have a little more flexibility in unit choice and growth.

TL;DR Great start, slows down to the late mid game. I would recommend playing through it atleast once.

Compared to the massive massive jump from Awakening Hard to Lunatic, you might not even notice at times the difference between Lunatic and Hard CQ. Hard CQ is just that much harder. This is not to say Lunatic is devoid of changes, it has them, but unless you have two playthroughs side by side, you'll likely not feel the differences at times, barring some extra Hexing Rods, and Inevitable End at the end. The reason I would say this is because you'll play Hard CQ and Lunatic CQ very similarly in terms of strategy, just tweaked a little, which you necessarily wouldn't with Awakening Hard and Lunatic.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Compared to the massive massive jump from Awakening Hard to Lunatic, you might not even notice at times the difference between Lunatic and Hard CQ. Hard CQ is just that much harder. This is not to say Lunatic is devoid of changes, it has them, but unless you have two playthroughs side by side, you'll likely not feel the differences at times, barring some extra Hexing Rods, and Inevitable End at the end.

I agree. In my experience, Conquest Lunatic plays very similarly to Conquest Hard.

I do believe that Conquest Hard is more 'fun' than Conquest Lunatic, whose challenge is more demanding in terms of the party conformation and pair-up bonuses. This is, while my campaigns in Hard are usually 10-units only, no pre-promotes, no grinding, no backpacks, I find it way more difficult to accomplish in Lunatic; where more than ten units or backpacks are necessary in the late chapters. (Either that or I am simply not that good.)

If you have not tried Conquest Hard yet, try it first. It is not as 'easy' as Awakening Hard. (I got bored after a couple of chapters of A-H. I should give it another shot.)

Conquest lunatic is the only fates title I replay over and over. There's a fair amount of variation in team comps and the difficulty is great (though extremely daunting, if you don't figure out certain benchmarks and tatics to use). I think many of the maps have a lesson. I put them in a spoiler, if you don't want them.

Spoiler

Lessons: Bulk is good. Niles is baller. Axes/bows/dual weapons are fantastic. Consistently hitting things really hard is optimal. Play aggressive. Pay close attention to enemy skills. Dual strike is great with effective weapons. Flying is super useful 19-21. Friendship and partner seals free up early heart seals. Some kids are better than others (stats/class/map).

14 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I have yet to play it, but it certainly sounds more fun than Awakening Lunatic, where practically the whole cast is nigh useless...

Dude, you're commenting on a Lunatic+ playlog where i manage to be able to use 5 (plus 4 utility characters) of them well (not counting Avatar). XD

Edited by ChickenWings
Because yes

1 hour ago, ChickenWings said:

Dude, you're commenting on a Lunatic+ playlog where i manage to be able to use 5 (plus 4 utility characters) of them well (not counting Avatar). XD

The thing is, the crazy stat inflation in Lunatic means you pretty much HAVE to low-man if you want to have a chance of beating it. Needless to say, being limited that much is no fun whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Centh said:

Niles is baller.

And you say this WHY??? Because I'd beg to differ when all he has going for him is his speed...

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

The thing is, the crazy stat inflation in Lunatic means you pretty much HAVE to low-man if you want to have a chance of beating it. Needless to say, being limited that much is no fun whatsoever.

And you say this WHY??? Because I'd beg to differ when all he has going for him is his speed...

Dude, I'm full deployment in all chapters! XD

Highman Lunatic(+) is very possible.

Lunatic sealed the deal for Conquest being my favorite of the series. It encourages playing smartly and quickly, both in and out of actual chapters. I highly recommend it.

I quit around the defense chapter on classic (a lot of resets tho?, because early game units cannot be replaced), but Conquest is one of those games that rewards smart thinking. If you're doing well in lunatic you'll feel like someone is patting you on the head and saying "Fantastic! Keep it up". If only I could

2 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

I quit around the defense chapter on classic (a lot of resets tho?, because early game units cannot be replaced), but Conquest is one of those games that rewards smart thinking. If you're doing well in lunatic you'll feel like someone is patting you on the head and saying "Fantastic! Keep it up". If only I could

Ch. 10? Conquest = blaze a path of glorious ruination with aggressive play. Turtling is a trap.

Just now, ChickenWings said:

Ok, I guess I'll get Conquest in the foreseeable future and will go try Lunatic first.

If it's your first run, I'd give hard a try first. There's a lot of things you kinda need to know before hand unless you want to have a few absolute hell chapters (borderline impossible?). I personally detest FE:A mechanics and absolutely love Fates Conquest, so you may want to see how it goes. They're very different in terms of gameplay imo.

1 minute ago, Centh said:

If it's your first run, I'd give hard a try first. There's a lot of things you kinda need to know before hand unless you want to have a few absolute hell chapters (borderline impossible?). I personally detest FE:A mechanics and absolutely love Fates Conquest, so you may want to see how it goes. They're very different in terms of gameplay imo.

I'm ok with starting over a few times. I did that even in FEA Lunatic.

7 minutes ago, ChickenWings said:

Ok, I guess I'll get Conquest in the foreseeable future and will go try Lunatic first.

That's.... rather gutsy of you, if I say so myself. Anyway, I agree with Centh - you might want to think about playing Hard first.

EDIT: Gyaaah!

Edited by Shadow Mir