Are there any Hero artworks you don't like?

Etrurian emperor

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Seliph: In previous appearances Seliph always looked a little silly. He looked more kiddy than he should, his hairstyle was weird and he was so girly that he shared his face sprite with his mother, and then there was that awful peacock outfit he wore in Awakening. But all those silly things gave Seliph character. The look Heroes ended up giving Seliph is just bland with nothing to set him apart from Marth. He's no longer kiddy like Gordin, no longer incredibly girly and neither hair nor outfit are anything that catches your attention anymore. He's just dull. 

Oh, you have no idea. The manga even has Seliph look rather girly. This is because Kaga considered making Seliph a girl at one point, but changed it to male at the end.

Also, Seliph being similar to Marth makes sense, given they were made by the same writer. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Answers like Lloyd, OG Eliwood, OG Hector, and Rebecca aren't surprising at all because these art works are just so bad and stick out like such a sore thumb that they very nearly transcend from the realm of subjectivity. 

This is exactly why I don't like threads like this.

like Rebecca's art. I'd be using her just for her art if her stats weren't so nondescript. Eliwood's is fine except for the random breastplate that came out of nowhere. I don't have a problem with Hector at all, and Lloyd's neutral and attacking art has grown on me (but his damaged art still makes him not look like him).

If I had a problem with Miyuu's art, its the fact that the color is grainy (like Yamada Akihiro's), which does objectively stick out like a sore thumb. It's not bad; it's just extremely inconsistent with the rest of the game's art. (That's one of the things I like about Granblue Fantasy's art, the fact that it's all drawn by a single artist and is completely internally consistent, though this is obviously impractical for most situations.)

For me, I mostly pay attention to the facial structure. Eliwood, Rebecca, and Athena have huge eyes. Lloyd got a funny looking mouth, and BB!Charlotte's damage art's mouth look kind of weird too. Cordelia has a weird facial outline.

31 minutes ago, Etheus said:

This. Plus, as a personal pet peeve, all joke seasonals on principle (with the exception of the first Performing Arts, which I found to be high quality and non-immersion breaking while still being festive). 

Honestly, this isn't a great thread concept not because of 'negativity,' but rather because of predictability. Answers like Lloyd, OG Eliwood, OG Hector, and Rebecca aren't surprising at all because these art works are just so bad and stick out like such a sore thumb that they very nearly transcend from the realm of subjectivity. 

I agree with you. The "bad artwork" topic is as predictable as the "units from the Tellius series you want in FEH" topic.

The "good artwork" topic has more different answers, because every single person has a different taste for good art, but all agree that Lloyd's art is bad.

1 hour ago, Landmaster said:

Palla (because Catria and Est look cooler, IMO and it makes me bitter since Palla's my favorite Whitewing)

On the other hand, the one I like the most of the three is her, since opposite to Catria, she hasn't been lolified (I don't want it to sound despective or bad, just that I don't find a better way to say it). The same happens to Mae. But this is all personal opinion, and we are all free to have different likes.

Some arts that I dislike (appart from Lachesis and Mae, who have been explained yet) are (not because of the artist, but how their art style applies to the character, or has something that seems strange):

- Camus: maybe it's just me, but I find that either his head is too small or his arms are too wide. 

- Young Ike: I find his head too circular, while I think it had some sharps in Path of Radiance.

- Summer Innes: Why is his hair of a different colour?

- Lloyd: I don't find his art bad, the problem is that he is way too different from his original design.

- Nina: isn't her neck too long?

- Saber: being one of my favourites design from Echoes, there's something in his face in Heroes that makes me dislike him.

- Sophia: same problem as Nina.

This is only my personal opinion. I don't find this a bad thread, just it needs people to explain and discuss in a good way why they dislike said arts.

I don't really like how Hinata looks in this game. He looks pretty close to his fates counterpart, but something about him looks a little off. I think he looks a bit too small and for some reason Hinata looks  nervous when attacking. I don't think that expression suits him. I'm also not really fond of Cordelia and Female Robin who where done by the same author. I think his Oboro is good though.

There's also normal Shigure. His attacking and damaged art looks fine, but I just don't like his face in his normal art.

Other then that the only ones I have to add are Rebecca with her creepy eyes and Lloyd.

47 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Honestly, this isn't a great thread concept not because of 'negativity,' but rather because of predictability. Answers like Lloyd, OG Eliwood, OG Hector, and Rebecca aren't surprising at all because these art works are just so bad and stick out like such a sore thumb that they very nearly transcend from the realm of subjectivity. 

I wouldn't say that~ For example, I never understood why people don't like Eliwood and Athena's eyes. I really love Athena's art and Eliwood's isn't bad either to me, I especially like his damaged art~ I'm not a fan of the thick outlines on Hector, but I don't really have a problem with his art and the only pose I dislike for Rebecca's is her neutral one, the rest of her art is good to me, actually.

On this note, I forgot to mention the art I like the least, Arthur. I find it extremely fitting for him, but I'm just not a fan at just how jarring he looks compared to almost every other character. It's not bad art, but I personally just don't like it for Heroes~

15 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

On the other hand, the one I like the most of the three is her, since opposite to Catria, she hasn't been lolified

Yes... Est is the youngest so her artsyle is "ok", but Catria is and looks like a serious person, which doesn't appear to be the case in Heroes. For me, Echoes's Catria is her best version.

11 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

- Nina: isn't her neck too long?

Wow! I never notice it! Now I can't see Nina without notice her neck.

5 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

On this note, I forgot to mention the art I like the least, Arthur. I find it extremely fitting for him, but I'm just not a fan at just how jarring he looks compared to almost every other character. It's not bad art, but I personally just don't like it for Heroes~

That's exactly the reason for most of my dislikes yeah. Like with HACCAN's(Hawkeye, OG Hinoka, etc.), Ippei's (Arden, Dorcas, etc.), and Akihiro's (Gunter, Jagen, etc.) work, that's all definitely pro art and it looks very realistic, but it's just so different from that rest so it sticks out too much. I guess the same goes for Rebecca, wouldn't call it bad art, it's just very different. And those all just aren't my style, I'm simply more a fan of the other styles.

Literally, over half the artwork I dislike for some reason, but I also know I'm insanely particular with artwork (to be fair, it is my job). But there are a few (actually a lot) I find to be particular egregious.

Fjorm and Gunnthra. I hate their eyes and face.

Groom!Marth: Blech.

Jaegen & Ogma: Also blech.

Any character with the stupid bug eyes: like Summer!Linde, Mae, Lachesis (basically almost all the stupid healers) and my baby M!Kana who I'm still upset they f**d up.

Any character with just strange eyes actually: Lilina, Summer!Corrin, Rebecca and Athena comes to mind.

OG Hector/Raven/Arthur: I hate this weird line-art sketch style it bothers me.

Dorcas, that other gross big armor: it's so realistic compared to Heroes it looks and feels so out of place.

Eliwood, like do we need to say more?

OG Chrom looked so weird. Coredlia too.

But do you know the one I hate the most?! The one that infuriates me more than anyone else? Grima!Robin (male). His artwork makes me so angry, I am literally filled with such fury and hatred I have to turn away from the game in disgust that they did that to my favorite.

Edited by Sunsurge

35 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

but all agree that Lloyd's art is bad.

No, we don't. Don't speak for other people without evidence. Don't use absolutes unless you're 500% sure there are no exceptions.

2 minutes ago, Sunsurge said:

But do you know the one I hate the most?! The one that infuriates me more than anyone else? Grima!Robin (male). His artwork makes me so angry, I am literally filled with such fury and hatred I have to turn away from the game in disgust that they did that to my favorite.

My other problem with threads like this.

People who go on about how bad something is without even a single mention of why they think that way. We aren't mind readers.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

My other problem with threads like this.

People who go on about how bad something is without even a single mention of why they think that way. We aren't mind readers.

You don't have to be a mind reader, but if you read my post, you could pretty much guess it was clearly based on everything else I dislike, hence why I put him at the bottom of the list, so you already had an idea of things I dislike and it's pretty easy to guess based on that. So to be specific, line/sketch art, weird eyes.

And his MOUTH, which was not mentioned, but I think is weird and gross and I could go on about, but I'll save everyone the trouble. 

4 minutes ago, Mau said:

That's exactly the reason for most of my dislikes yeah. Like with HACCAN's(Hawkeye, OG Hinoka, etc.), Ippei's (Arden, Dorcas, etc.), and Akihiro's (Gunter, Jagen, etc.) work, that's all definitely pro art and it looks very realistic, but it's just so different from that rest so it sticks out too much. I guess the same goes for Rebecca, wouldn't call it bad art, it's just very different. And those all just aren't my style, I'm simply more a fan of the other styles.

Yeah, Jagen and Gunter and Arden and Dorcas are some arts I like a lot, and they're super detailed but they just the slightest bit out of place for my tastes (unrelated but I have always not really cared for Jagen's damaged pose because he's facing straight forward, but I digress). I do like that Jagen and Gunter were both drawn by Akihiro because I think they draw that type of character really well and I don't find them all that jarring on their own, those two I just think look more like Manga art than game art. 

Arthur and Raven kinda bug me. Mae also doesnt look correct, she looks younger. i also think zelgius because hes in the black knight armor for some reason really bothers me. Eliwood looks a little strange as well, mostly his face. 

1 hour ago, Landmaster said:

I wouldn't say that~ For example, I never understood why people don't like Eliwood and Athena's eyes. I really love Athena's art and Eliwood's isn't bad either to me, I especially like his damaged art~ I'm not a fan of the thick outlines on Hector, but I don't really have a problem with his art and the only pose I dislike for Rebecca's is her neutral one, the rest of her art is good to me, actually.

In Miyuu's case it has to do with both the eye size and eye shape. Most anime eyes are rounded or rounded squares but Miyuu eyes are oblong; they're not the biggest but their box-like shape stands out more than the rest.

I don’t like Lachesis, and especially og eliwood. Unfortunately, og micaiah‘s chin is a bit too sharp and her nose and mouth looks strange... luckily, summer micaiah looks much better even though she has the same artist