Are there any Hero artworks you don't like?

Etrurian emperor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

Lachesis- I haven't played Geneology, but she's supposed to be an adult... Right?

I'm pretty sure Lachesis is supposed to be 15 years old. Either way I'm not crazy about the art either but I kind of like it.

Anyway I do not like this thread either.

All right time for me to get extra petty and obsess over pointless design quirks for far far too long...

• Why is there so much camel toe in Sharena's attack & special poses? Was that really necessary?
  • Why is Ogma's sword utter nonsense? I know alot of the weapon designs are stupid but this one especially. OK Subaki's might be worse...
  • I know a lot of the long handled axe positions are dumb, but Sheena's attack & special poses are especially stupid. What does she think that axe is a staff?
  • Where did Alm's massive sheath go in all his non normal poses?
  • The poses they put Clair in to emphasis her Boobs and Butt (barring her injured form) look strange, unnatural, and painful.
  • (Warning Rant Time) WHY IS ISHTAR'S NORMAL POSE SO AWFUL WHEN HER OTHER POSES ARE SO AWESOME! They have those great shoulder pads slump down so they do not reach that aesthetically appealing line, and then awkwardly hike up the slit in her dress, combining with a back pain inducing hip position to give her the appearance of a freakishly long leg, and let neither her hair nor cape have the space they need to spread into their magnificence....
  • Where did Raven's Axe come from? Where is it hiding in his normal pose? If it spawned from the aether like other people's weapons than why does he have a sword sheathed at his waist? Why isn't this sword in his portable hammer space & why isn't he using the sword clearly sheathed at his waist? ... Good lord this is a recurring design trend that I can no longer unsee. WHY DOES JAGEN HAVE A SWORD? Both Catria & Est...If I hadn't noticed it on Raven first I would think this was a cool nod to dismounting... I think I will Lechesis a pass on this one. Oh Linus you too? Is this supposed to be a nod to heroes being sword locked in their unpromoted class?
  • Ok extra petty here, but between the two Reinhardt, why change the sword's design, and why add the tome holder... and why take the sheathed sword away between Olwens...sigh
  • Jesus Zephiel why do have one sword that is sheathed in all of your poses, and a different sword that you actually use? What is the point of this design feature? What sword is it supposed to be? WHY ALWAYS SWORDS....ok dumb question,  its because sheaths are common knowledge, and the artists would have to design or look up what were used to carry other weapon types.
  • Where did Fir's sheath go? why do I still care?
  • Why do they make such an effort to hide Sophia's boobs in her normal pose when the clearly want to show her endowment in all of her other poses?
  • WHY DOES ELIWOOD'S SWORD HAVE A DIFFERENT GRIP WHEN IT IS SHEATHED THAN WHEN HE IS USING IT? Is this another nonsensical Zephiel situation, and if it is why hide the sheathed sword so thoroughly? Did the artist just not care?
  • Where did Rebecca's bowstring go in her attacking pose?
  • Why doesn't Amelia have the axe that is clearly chained to her gauntlet in her normal pose? Where does it come from? Why chain it to your wrist in such a way? If this is a nod to the GBA General's chain weapon attack animation, why isn't she launching that axe in her attacking and special poses?
  • Why couldn't Sothe be using one of the three daggers clearly sheathed at his waist? where did this mystery dagger come from?
  • How did Female Robin get literally the boringest tome in existence?
  • Where does Lon'qu's sheath go? Hana's too...sigh why do I notice these things.
  • How could Kaze's weapons possibly be a ranged attack? They are literally attached to his arm; is he cringily teleporting behind people, and then returning to his position...multiple squares away?
  • Why does the game have to emphasis Papa Garon's cod piece so much in his attack & special pose?
  • How does Selena's sword get so much wider after to leaves her sheath...

@Eltosian Kadath

Side arms exist. The entire point of side arms is so that they can be worn on the person when their main weapon isn't immediately on hand.

Eliwood clearly has two separate swords, the rapier at his waist (which is covered by his body and leg in all of his arts other than his idle art) and Durandal,.

I don’t get why some people are getting bent out of shape for people criticizing art when the same likely do so for various voice actors. Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Anyway, for me, I always found Lloyd’s art so awful. I just see a generic goth kid as opposed to Lloyd, and his ridiculous expressions don’t help either. 

Another one that bothers me is Florina. She looks extremely scrawny to the point of being rather off-putting to me as well as appearing too juvenile.

Lachesis.  She is not an 8 year old moe blob in her game, and I hate moe blobs.  

Rebecca, cause of her eyes.   Lloyd cause he looks like a drug addict, not a respectable leader.  

Sophia with the pencil neck.  I also don't like M grima, something about the mouth.  Original Olivia is terrible, luckily her other versions are excellent artwise.  

I'm sure there are others, this is just top of my head.  I think in general the art has greatly improved since the Amelia/Tana banner dropped.  Much harder to find a 'bad' piece of art, and quality is generally very high to superb.

25 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Side arms exist. The entire point of side arms is so that they can be worn on the person when their main weapon isn't immediately on hand.

Eliwood clearly has two separate swords, the rapier at his waist (which is covered by his body and leg in all of his arts other than his idle art) and Durandal,.

It more bugs me in the Chekov's gun logic, why show us a sword, if they cannot and will not use a sword, even if it would be advantageous to do so. Also having your side arm to your sword, be... another sword feels especially silly (unless it was a short sword or parrying dagger etc. like in Laslow's art)

15 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It more bugs me in the Chekov's gun logic, why show us a sword, if they cannot and will not use a sword, even if it would be advantageous to do so. Also having your side arm to your sword, be... another sword feels especially silly (unless it was a short sword or parrying dagger etc. like in Laslow's art)

It's perfectly normal to have a longsword as your primary arm and an arming sword as your side arm. Arming swords are kind of meant to be used that way.

Oh, I forgot about Femui. I don't get what they were going for but to me the proportions look totally off, she has a huge butt and legs, her face is off, her feet are weird, and it really accentuates the bad armour.

11 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

• How could Kaze's weapons possibly be a ranged attack? They are literally attached to his arm; is he cringily teleporting behind people, and then returning to his position...multiple squares away?

New headcanon~

i enjoy this type of thread because a) the way people describe what they don't like makes me giggle, and b) it's interesting to see why people dislike art that i like, or vice versa. as long as nobody gets aggressive or attacks anyone, which no one really has, it's all chill.

i think my main one is Raigh, as others have reiterated...i seriously didn't recognize him until months into playing the game. this could be partially because i hadn't played much Binding Blade and his name was translated as Ray there which threw me off, but the style, face, and proportions just don't flip the recognition switch for me. works for Fae but not him...i wonder if Lugh will get the same artist....seeing as Flora and Felicia did, i have fear.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:08 AM, Michelaar said:

I'm pretty sure Lachesis is supposed to be 15 years old. Either way I'm not crazy about the art either but I kind of like it.

Anyway I do not like this thread either.

Lyn's 15, too. And yet Wada's depiction of Lyn is a phenomenal representation of the character. Miwabe's... not so much.

With that said, Miwabe's art is actually really good. I'm not privy to moe art, but it obviously appeals to a lot of other people. She done a great rendition of Delthea/Kana, just Lachesis... not the most accurate portrayal they could have chosen for her. 

On 10/17/2018 at 10:48 PM, omegaxis1 said:

Oh, you have no idea. The manga even has Seliph look rather girly. This is because Kaga considered making Seliph a girl at one point, but changed it to male at the end.

Also, Seliph being similar to Marth makes sense, given they were made by the same writer. 

Manga Seliph looks girly? Impossible! Its not like the manga have a chapter where they literally called him the best girl or anything!

On 10/17/2018 at 6:43 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Seliph: In previous appearances Seliph always looked a little silly. He looked more kiddy than he should, his hairstyle was weird and he was so girly that he shared his face sprite with his mother, and then there was that awful peacock outfit he wore in Awakening. But all those silly things gave Seliph character. The look Heroes ended up giving Seliph is just bland with nothing to set him apart from Marth. He's no longer kiddy like Gordin, no longer incredibly girly and neither hair nor outfit are anything that catches your attention anymore. He's just dull.

That being said potraying Seliph as a "generic hyperbadass" the Heroes artwork is going for isn't new

latest?cb=20161005011846

3 hours ago, TheWill said:

Lyn's 15, too. And yet Wada's depiction of Lyn is a phenomenal representation of the character. Miwabe's... not so much.

It's mostly caused by the fact that multiple different art styles can be seen side-by-side in this game.

If you compare Miwabe's art to most of the other artists' in Heroes, her characters look younger than their intended age, but when compared only to Miwabe's other art, much of that discrepancy disappears.

(Again, this is one thing I really like about Granblue Fantasy's art, which is entirely done by Minaba Hideo and therefore has no inconsistencies due to style.)

I went though my barracks seeing if there were any problems I had... unfortunately, I came up with a number of problems...

• General complaint: Is it weird that I kinda wanted Cavalry and Flying units to be on their mounts in their art? I mean, it's not like they're jumping off to do their attack before jumping back on, so there's no logical reason for them to be clearly dismounted.
  • Saber: I kinda feel like his hair is a little too small for his head, but that's minor compared to the decision to give the primarily brown-wearing Mercenary a blue-as-hell Valentian Brave Sword. It just DOES NOT fit with his overall attire.
  • Fallen Heroes Celica: I kinda don't like how her normal attacking art has such a wide open mouth when so many other units aren't so open. It looks more like it'd be a better fit as her Special Trigger.
  • Lucina and Masked Marth: Spoiler alert, Masked Marth is just Lucina wearing a Mask and tucking her hair in. So why does Masked Marth look like an actual man rather than a girl who is just small enough to pass off as a skinny dude? They're both done by the same artist to...
  • Laslow: No actual negatives about Laslow, he's fine. But... why does he have a cape?
  • Reinhardt and Olwen vs Meisterhardt and Thunderhead Olwen: I hate their alts for many reasons, but mainly because they aren't alts, they're literally the same but doing yugioh poses with a breeze. The art is still good, but these are the laziest alts and I cannot stand them.
  • Artist HAKO: As a general, their art is fine and all, but their Special Trigger is just not exciting. I mean, it's not like I expect special triggers to be flashy and awesome looking, but their special trigger art just doesn't have the same impact that other special trigger art has. I attribute this to the lack of "special" effect and really no change in the characters face between attack art and special art.
  • Hinoka vs Wings of Fate Hinoka: I didn't have any problems with Hinoka until WoF!Hinoka came out, but I can't quite place all of my issues anymore...
  • Amelia: I haven't even seen much of Amelia in any artform besides her Heroes depiction, but... she just does not belong in Armor, I'm sorry.

I feel like I'm fairly accepting of most art, heck I'm even okay with the Yamada Akihiro art, but even I am not immune to having nitpicks...

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's mostly caused by the fact that multiple different art styles can be seen side-by-side in this game.

If you compare Miwabe's art to most of the other artists' in Heroes, her characters look younger than their intended age, but when compared only to Miwabe's other art, much of that discrepancy disappears.

(Again, this is one thing I really like about Granblue Fantasy's art, which is entirely done by Minaba Hideo and therefore has no inconsistencies due to style.)

I actually thought Miwabe's rendition of Lyn on Twitter was actually pretty good: 

Spoiler

Dpxp6-cU0AAovcm.jpg

I suppose Lyn's proportions help provide a more mature outlook in comparison to Lachesis. Either way, I think that's still Miwabe drawing Lachesis on the new Cipher card? It may not mean anything in particular, but it makes me wonder if they're aware of the online/overseas community backlash.