Making a FE hack: new engine? Or go off of the existing fe 8 engine?

Blazecap2212

Okay so I new to FE hacking in general, and I have some ideas, but I don't know if I should create my own engine. I am mostly considering this because some of my ideas include

•  3rd tier
  • Using existing and custom animations(and creating my own)
  • 3 acts looking at about 35 chapters(not including route split)

If any one has any experience trying to do this is it a good idea?

Edited by Blazecap2212
Title grammar

Pretty sure you'd be able to implement third tiers via the trainee branches, but I'm not sure how much room there is for new data with FE8. However, FEXP is available to work with, though I dunno how well supported it is at this point - if you look into Fire Emblem Immortal Sword (FE7x) you can find info on FEXP there, as it was the original engine being used to create the project.

If you're really good with hacking, you might be able to do all of that.  There are ways to expand the capacity for data for FE ROMs, and if you're hacking you should probably do that regardless just to be safe.

35 chapters is very ambitious for a new hacker; heck, it's a lot even for experienced hackers, even teams.  The best of the best hacks out there that aren't just modifications of the base game often do 5-10 chapters.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it might be a good idea to take things one step at a time.  Start small, and get bigger and bigger.  I realize as a writer you might have some big vision for what you might want to do - and I really do understand that on a personal level - but shooting for 35 chapters as the first goal might leave you working on it for just as many years (okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it'll still take a long time).

Also, FEXP is more than a little outdated; it's for an engine that's more than a decade old.  That's why they moved on to FEXNA.  For your sake, I recommend either sticking to hacking or looking into SRPG Studio on Steam; you'll only spend about $35 more for that than RPG Maker XP (the program which you need to use FEXP), and it's a pretty good program for newbie developers (it's like RPG Maker, but for tactics games instead).  If you want easy-to-use hacking tools, I'd recommend FEBuilderGBA; of course if you go that route you'll need a ROM, and FE8's ROM would be most ideal for what you want to do.

In regards to making a new engine, you should only do that if you actually have programming knowledge.  It may be the best way if you're wanting to create your own game in the style of FE, but it may be the most difficult to pull off.  Sort of a "big wall, big rewards" type of deal.  Strongly recommend against this unless, again, you have a good handle on programming and know how to make it happen.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

35 chapters is very ambitious for a new hacker; heck, it's a lot even for experienced hackers, even teams.  The best of the best hacks out there that aren't just modifications of the base game often do 5-10 chapters.

well we got to start some where right? Besides that 35 chapter thing I said is the result of me being careless and cocky. After a few good hours of search has taught me anything it's get gud. Thankfully I found this great video by MarkyJoe that covers eveything I need to know. My current goal is start working on it next year, wish me luck! And thanks for the insight!

17 hours ago, Blazecap2212 said:

well we got to start some where right? Besides that 35 chapter thing I said is the result of me being careless and cocky. After a few good hours of search has taught me anything it's get gud. Thankfully I found this great video by MarkyJoe that covers eveything I need to know. My current goal is start working on it next year, wish me luck! And thanks for the insight!

Yeah, the best thing you can do is just start doing stuff.  And to put it out there for others to critique so that you can improve it further.  And reading and watching tutorials by people who've done it before definitely helps, especially MarkyJoe as he's one of the more active veteran hackers out there.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors ヽRGaYS2c.png