Beards in Fire Emblem

Mandokarla

We haven't really seen any playable beards in Fire Emblem for awhile now. Basilio is (I think) the last playable character that had any form of facial hair. Why don't we have facial hair options in Avatar creation yet, and why have we been seeing so few bearded playable characters like Nolan, Gotoh, Mycen, Nomah, or Duessel (in his salt-and-pepper majesty) in newer FE games? 

Seriously, facial hair can add a lot to a design, and we desperately need variety in the character designs moving forward in the franchise. I want more Nolans and Duessels, and fewer babyfaced manchildren in my army. Even a newer incarnation of Bastian would be welcome. It's such a small thing, but it can add a gravitas or authority to a character if done well, and it can look just damn cool.

Obligatory:

Edited by Mandokarla

No Oifey? This is so sad, the comparison of his appearance as a child and as an adult just makes his beard more awesome.
But I agree, beards should make their comeback and I would like an avatar with beard.

And it is not a big secret why beards became rare. They are not popular in this niche anymore D=. Mustache was a thing of the 90th anyway.

This may shock you, but fate has one playable character with a beard. It is non other than Benny. And you know what is more shocking? FE Gaiden Saber has no beard, but they decided to give Echoes Saber a beard.

Edited by Stroud

5 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

Why don't we have facial hair options in Avatar creation yet

Probably because the avatar is always a younger person and beards are normally associated with middle aged to older men.

Beards are just too sexy for Fire Emblem.

Edit: Holy Shit, just watched the video. Moulder the Boulder is back!

Edited by Sweet Summer Tana
Wanted to add something

I think I heard somewhere that facial hair isn't all that popular in Japan or something. Not entirely sure though. I'm not into it myself, though with one exception.

But I'd be down for a middle-aged Ike sporting a sexy goatee, as you can see in my sig. Goatees are that one type of facial hair I actually like.

Edited by Anacybele

Heck yeah! Beards are awesome despite being fire hazards, and not being able to add one during avatar creation was one of my least important nitpicks about Awakening. It could be a minor yet still visually interesting way of adding diversity to the cast, and having the "dude looks like a lady" character sport a beard could put a twist on the cliche.

It would require some extra effort, but it would be cool to see the male cast slowly grow beards as the adventure continues. It would be a way to show them maturing while also showing how long and fatiguing war can be.

A completely random question (that may actually become relevant if a sequel/expansion is ever made): If Alm decided to grow a beard, would he take after Mycen's mustache or Rudolf's beard?

I agre with beards giving a feel of authority, Marcus has a beard and it just shows that this unit is a badass, even in his old age he still galops at full speed and shows brigands not to mess with him. 

Beards can also be part of a personality, when someone takes great pride in his beard in FE it's hilarious, the prime example being Cervantes in awakening 

I see what you mean, Garon’s majestic beard is the only one in Fates. It might just be a Fates thing though, the men in Fates aren’t manly enough. Hopefully three houses will bring back the manly beards. 

2 hours ago, halvey said:

I see what you mean, Garon’s majestic beard is the only one in Fates. It might just be a Fates thing though, the men in Fates aren’t manly enough. Hopefully three houses will bring back the manly beards. 

The old man's beard is pretty cool.7E4C03ED-0822-4091-B1FA-C6AD8F0CFA4A-1957-00000654A98DC89E.png.1ab6affc065772c0d6c07aeeecc33428.png

On 10/22/2018 at 1:42 AM, Anacybele said:

I think I heard somewhere that facial hair isn't all that popular in Japan or something. Not entirely sure though.

They really aren't. A man with a full beard in Japan is like a shiny pokemon. In my workplace, maybe two other people have facial hair, and it's pretty much either a shadow of a mustache or a close trimmed goatee. It's pretty rare for even middle aged and old people.

I think with Fire Emblem shifting towards anime hipness, beards starting getting phased out.