Are critical reviews important for your game decisions? Are/were they good? Your favorite reviewers?

henrymidfields

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I don't know if they do reviews, but I'm pretty sure GameXplain counts, and they're generally well informative.

And a lot of the smaller publications that don't push out idiotic click-bait are good, as well.

Yeah, i did bring that up. GameXplain does reviews but they don't use a numbering system. They used to rate games out of 5 but that was a long time ago. They still have a scale but it's a lot more broad. I believe it goes "meh" -> liked" -> "liked a lot" -> "loved" -> "mindblown".

Super Mario Odyssey was the only game they ever gave a "mindblown" but even then, that doesn't mean 10/10. That just means they loved the game so much.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, i did bring that up. GameXplain does reviews but they don't use a numbering system. They used to rate games out of 5 but that was a long time ago. They still have a scale but it's a lot more broad. I believe it goes "meh" -> liked" -> "liked a lot" -> "loved" -> "mindblown".

Super Mario Odyssey was the only game they ever gave a "mindblown" but even then, that doesn't mean 10/10. That just means they loved the game so much.

Before meh, there's also disliked. The only time I remember that is Brainscratchcomms' Ted's very controversial review of Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice.

Also, funny how people say three members yet they forget GX added Jon Cartwright. :P

Anyways, I typically look at Somecallmejohnny (and maybe others I'm forgetting, but not necessarily the super huge guys) for reviews since he seems to come off as very objective in fair. Super Mario 64 is a beloved classic? Well, Johnny hasn't played it, so no nostalgia goggles for him! I also just try to stay away from reviews made by the big guys like IGN or Gamespot due to their controversial status (IGN's review of FEE Shadows of Valentia was just...no). I'll also listen to word from the people I follow on Twitter that seem to also be objective like Chugga, ProtonJon, Tom Fawkes, etc.

Oh! Can't forget about Nintendo Life. Alex Olney is a delight to watch when he reviews or talks about stuff for sure.

Edited by NoirCore