Should the weapon triangle return?

anikom15

Weapon Triangle Poll  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should the weapon triangle return?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What kind of weapon triangle would you most prefer?

• Swords, lances, axes only
    • Separate SLA and magic triangles
    • Unified RBG triangle (Fates)
    • Magic only

3 hours ago, RexBolt said:

Yeah, i mean, when was the last time weith/constitution was even a stat in the game, RD?

Shadow Dragon was the last game that had weapons with weight, but compared to most of the games before it, most weapon weights weren't unreasonable (the heaviest weapons were only 11 weight).

7 hours ago, Serea-chan said:

Magic can inflict certain types of damage to certain types of units, encouraging you to pack all kinds of different tomes.

Several problems with that. One, giving magic, which is already 1-2 range innately, that kind of power wouldn't be a good idea. Second, I'm getting rank clutter flashbacks. Giving mages all three of fire, wind and thunder makes about as much sense as giving myrmidons, soldiers and fighters all three of swords, lances and axes. Besides that, balancing 3 weapon ranks would most likely lead to weapon ranks being an unfocused mess, hamstringing mages because they can't use any of the high end tomes.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Serea-chan said:

I thought the point of Heroes triangle was to simplify the weapon triangle enough for it to fit on mobile devices. This is a mainline Switch title we're talking about I think the Switch can handle more complex tactics. Then we have to count in grey units such as Daggers, Bows and Healers, they're outside the colored weapon triangle now and could have an unfair advantage. 

The weapon triangle by its very concept is simple. Heroes didn't do anything to water it down. They just made it so the magic and physical triangles are one and the same. And colourless weapons aren't an advantage or a disadvantage. They're a neutral element since they lose the benefits and the drawbacks. It's also not like Heroes was the first to invent weapons outside of the triangle, that's been around since the very start.

On 11/10/2018 at 8:53 PM, ElectiveToast said:

My only guess is to keep the general spirit of the original game, and the fact that axes seem to be seen as “villain weapons” in Japanese media. It’s kinda the same situation in Awakening where barbarians are only playable through a second seal use. 

On 11/10/2018 at 9:01 PM, Slumber said:

Yeah, but this is for the remake.

FE has built axes up as a viable good guy weapon for 25 years in between the original FE2 and SoV. We know Kaga didn't like having good guys use axes, but Kaga's been gone for almost 20 years.

But at the same time, pretty much every Fire Emblem game has the protagonist fighting off bandits or pirates to start, so I do think he had a point (Fates is the sole exception to this).