How Long Would You Last In A Horror Movie?

Got to watch the new Halloween movie and it was pretty good.

It got me thinking, how long would I last if I were a character in a movie like it.

I think I would last about 40 minutes before I would get killed off. I'd probably do something like check the closet only to be caught off guard and I'd get hurt, run until I thought I was safe only to be caught once I thought I was safe.

Horror movie protagonists tend to be dumb as rocks

like all you gotta do is not go in the fucking graveyard or basement or whatever and you're good, let some other idiot deal with the ghost or whatever 

so uh, as someone who is just barely smarter than the average rock, I think I'd make it to the end

Edited by ChefGuevara

18 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

Horror movie protagonists tend to be dumb as rocks

like all you gotta do is not go in the fucking graveyard or basement or whatever and you're good, let some other idiot deal with the ghost or whatever 

so uh, as someone who is just barely smarter than the average rock, I think I'd make it to the end

I agree. I think most of us should survive. If we are smart enough to play Fire Emblem, we are smart enough to recognize danger and get the fuck out.

Or probably be among the collateral damage if it's something with a bigger range.

I know that'd probably be my fate in a horror movie... or just background character that survives by virtue of not being anywhere relevant. Or is spared from any direct thing because I'd get a heart attack or something, saving them the trouble.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Meh, I have an aversion to anything that looks suspicious. I'll probably just ask either the SWAT team or the military and get the heck out myself. Leave dangerous situations to the pros. Of course, it's a different story if the horror was actively finding me in the first place. :P

Edited by henrymidfields

Depends on what part of the horror genre we're talking about.

If it's like a slasher film, like Scream of Halloween, i'd be smart enough to not get killed. There's this thing called 911. If it's supernatural horror, then it's a different story, as you can't deal with it through conventional means. I'd probably call a priest and even then, i'd likely only live as long as the supernatural evil wants me to. But that only assumes i'm dealing with the intangible. If it's like, a vampire, we all know how to kill one.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

If we are smart enough to play Fire Emblem, we are smart enough to recognize danger and get the fuck out.

and, by consequence, have a mere cameo in the movie. XD

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm not black, so I won't be the one dying first.:D:

I am Asian though, so I think we might be targeted first. I remember the Asian guy in Resident Evil: Afterlife dying, and I think he was one of the first to die.

4 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

We? There's no "we" in this, trust me.

I meant we as in Asian.

Despite never having watched an actual horror movie or played a horror videogame (although I have played a few web games and Thief technically counts as one), I predict that I would either be:

A. The random guy in the background that avoids the conflict entirely.

B. The nameless guy who performs an epic heroic sacrifice that leads to the heroes winning, possibly becoming a memetic badass in the process.

C. That guy who you hardly know that performs an epic heroic sacrifice, becoming memorable despite their small screen time.

D. A main character that performs the heroic sacrifice, earning great sadness from the people like liked him, and at least some respect from the folks that didn't.

E. The guy that actually bothers to call the police, and thus survives.

F. The guy that bothers to call the police, but dies anyway. At least they gave the heroes a hope (and maybe a chance).

H. The guy that dies because they tried to call the police because the monster was savvy.

I. The guy that dies because they realize too late that it's not that kind of zombie.

J. The guy that realizes that it's not that kind of zombie and thus quickly changes their tactics. Over the course of the movie, they become more and more creative with their traps and how they kill zombies.

K. The guy that pulls a "taking you with me" with the monster.

L. The guy that pulls a "taking you with me" with the monster by pressing the self-destruct button on the spaceship.

M. The guy that viciously beats the monster to death, scaring the audience with their brutality more than the monster ever did.

Did I miss anything?

During one of those camping trips the class went on in high school we all started speculating how things would go if it turned into a horror movie. When I asked who would be the first to die, everyone said I would be the first unless I was the murderer.

I do have something of a habit of wandering off without telling anyone or anyone noticing and that's more likely to get me killed than save me in a horror movie structure. I think the high school assessment still holds up.

• 2 weeks later...