Are you worried about Three Houses?

Roland

Are you worried about Three Houses?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. How worried are you for Three Houses?

• Yes, I'm very worried.
    • I'm a little bit concerned.
    • No, not in the slightest.

I'm actually really excited for the game since it seems to be taking a lot of cues from my favorite game in the series SoV. The old mechanics that are returning are some favorites of mine like : Combat Arts, a separate magic list, and skills. We also see a return of weapon durability and a lack of the pair-up mechanic. Pair-up seems like it might be impossible because of the squad feature. I can't say if Squads will be good or bad but it looks interesting.

The new "My Castle" feature seems at least better than Fates as it actually looks aesthetically pleasing while having unit interactivity in mind. Like how in the trailer Edelgard is getting advice on which weapon to practice with (probably raises a characters weapon level).

As for the graphics concern. You probably don't have to worry about it since it looks like it's beta footage. The shading and lighting system makes the character models pop but like others said, the models look like placeholders. The player's army seems to be a bunch of blue generic models except Edelgard. The character Mercedes doesn't even look like her in-game portrait either. Some folks on Twitter even pointed out how Claude's character model has the wrong skin tone. So I highly doubt we are seeing anything finalized.

As for the new character artist, I think the new portraits look more like mugshots. Like only Claude's portrait has personality in it. The armor design however is pretty great so far as it looks like we'll be dropping the skimpy armor designs of previous titles. We have a female character who wears pants! I think I heard somewhere that the new artist was a woman who works on a lot of dating sim titles and that explains a lot of the design decisions. Though I hope that means we'll have characters posing in dialogue instead of the stiff portraits of the past.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/22/2018 at 7:12 AM, Birb_Laguz said:

I'm actually really excited for the game since it seems to be taking a lot of cues from my favorite game in the series SoV. The old mechanics that are returning are some favorites of mine like : Combat Arts, a separate magic list, and skills. We also see a return of weapon durability and a lack of the pair-up mechanic. Pair-up seems like it might be impossible because of the squad feature. I can't say if Squads will be good or bad but it looks interesting.

The new "My Castle" feature seems at least better than Fates as it actually looks aesthetically pleasing while having unit interactivity in mind. Like how in the trailer Edelgard is getting advice on which weapon to practice with (probably raises a characters weapon level).

As for the graphics concern. You probably don't have to worry about it since it looks like it's beta footage. The shading and lighting system makes the character models pop but like others said, the models look like placeholders. The player's army seems to be a bunch of blue generic models except Edelgard. The character Mercedes doesn't even look like her in-game portrait either. Some folks on Twitter even pointed out how Claude's character model has the wrong skin tone. So I highly doubt we are seeing anything finalized.

As for the new character artist, I think the new portraits look more like mugshots. Like only Claude's portrait has personality in it. The armor design however is pretty great so far as it looks like we'll be dropping the skimpy armor designs of previous titles. We have a female character who wears pants! I think I heard somewhere that the new artist was a woman who works on a lot of dating sim titles and that explains a lot of the design decisions. Though I hope that means we'll have characters posing in dialogue instead of the stiff portraits of the past.

I don’t think the graphics have ever matched the artwork in the whole series.

I’m honestly still apathetic about the game until we get more information or a new trailer. I’m currently too busy enjoying the short stories of Ray Bradbury to care.

Edited by Wraith

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Worst case scenario is that this game is pushed back to Fall 2019 or something.

If that happens, I can delay getting a Switch to about that time (unless I get spare cash and plunge on stuff like Octopath Traveller or Xenoblade Chronicles 2).

Call me predictable but the only thing I'm worried about is the lack of information. We've been repeating "we don't know enough yet" to ourselves for more than half a year now and I think it's pretty ridiculous that this is the case. Not wanting to reveal big stuff during Smash Bros hype I can understand, but if there isn't ANY sort of update soon I can only assume there are development issues (which would spell doom for things like the story). I'd even be fine with another delay so long as we heard something, anything.

On 19/12/2018 at 11:59 PM, eclipse said:

The fact that English is your second language is why you're getting an in-thread response, instead of a stiff warning.  "Jap" is considered a racial slur.

Unless you're privy to the inner workings of this game, there's very little info on things like how gameplay will pan out, or what the story/characters are like.  Furthermore, there WILL be some Japanese influence, because the game is being made in Japan.  I'm sure there's a strategic RPG out there that's free of such things (Banner Saga, perhaps?), but if it bothers you that much, Fire Emblem isn't the series for you.

If you want to be pessimistic, then perhaps you'd be better off ignoring the game until it's released.

I'm deeply sorry for my mistake, in France it mean nothing more than people from Japan. I could say that I've learn something today. 

However, I think you are a little bit excessive. I just can't ignore this serie. In fact she was by far my favorite one even though I'm not a great fan of FE13&14. 
And I probably could like this game if they were first one and not from a licence with all my favorite. (Only TearRing Saga, Bioshock & MHFU (+ Persona 3 ?) are in my top 10 full of FE)

I know that I could be disappointed by the next game but I can't just forgot FE16. And I want to be surprised. After all most ambitous FE were on home console, it swear that they could make a decent story and great level design on a Switch !  You're all right it's time to be positive. ^^

But all your Idea wasn't bad, I'm playing Divinity Original Sin 2 to calm my lust of tactic + fantasy game. :) 

6 hours ago, Haar-Wyvern said:

I'm deeply sorry for my mistake, in France it mean nothing more than people from Japan. I could say that I've learn something today. 

However, I think you are a little bit excessive. I just can't ignore this serie. In fact she was by far my favorite one even though I'm not a great fan of FE13&14. 
And I probably could like this game if they were first one and not from a licence with all my favorite. (Only TearRing Saga, Bioshock & MHFU (+ Persona 3 ?) are in my top 10 full of FE)

I know that I could be disappointed by the next game but I can't just forgot FE16. And I want to be surprised. After all most ambitous FE were on home console, it swear that they could make a decent story and great level design on a Switch !  You're all right it's time to be positive. ^^

But all your Idea wasn't bad, I'm playing Divinity Original Sin 2 to calm my lust of tactic + fantasy game. :) 

Don’t worry bro, you ain’t the first non-native English speaker to make this “JAP” mistake :^_^:

I’m a little concerned about the game myself. Not from a gameplay nor story perspective, as I don’t see any Kouhei Maeda directing it, so there’s a chance we won’t see a bad story, cardboard characters, and.... questionable design choices 

2 hours ago, Midnox said:

I’m a little concerned about the game myself. Not from a gameplay nor story perspective, as I don’t see any Kouhei Maeda directing it, so there’s a chance we won’t see a bad story, cardboard characters, and.... questionable design choices 

No joke, ever since he started directing the series we've been getting non-stop egregious player worship and clumsily slapped together stories. Probably would have gotten the same from Echoes if he directed that too. I'm honestly hoping he just sticks with FE Heroes and leaves the core franchise alone. 

Anyway to me the bigger concern is what's going on behind the curtain. There has to be a reason why they've been so unbelievably tight-lipped about every single last detail about the game or the incredibly lukewarm title, just seems like a massive red flag to me.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:20 AM, Midnox said:

Don’t worry bro, you ain’t the first non-native English speaker to make this “JAP” mistake :^_^:

Is there even any confirmation he's not? We barely know anything as is I don't see him not directing it he's the big cheese for IS afterall if anything the story could be done by someone else while everything else is from the usual devs.

1 minute ago, Guest Lae said:

Is there even any confirmation he's not? We barely know anything as is I don't see him not directing it he's the big cheese for IS afterall if anything the story could be done by someone else while everything else is from the usual devs.

I don’t see his name in the Wikipedia page at least

18 minutes ago, Midnox said:

I don’t see his name in the Wikipedia page at least

Well I definitely don't take that as anything until we learn more no matter what he'll get involved don't see why he won't.

4 hours ago, Guest Lae said:

Well I definitely don't take that as anything until we learn more no matter what he'll get involved don't see why he won't.

Well, the design choice is a sign he’s not largely involved XD

12 minutes ago, Midnox said:

Well, the design choice is a sign he’s not largely involved XD

Got to look it up but im pretty sure there's someone else at IS responsible in that field though.

fateslandia not having a name may have had something to do with the director, it only further hammered home that fates was about corrin, not a continent in the middle of a war and the people on that continent, but with byleth only existing so far, it could be a good sign, or a perfect bamboozlement, before your older sister with boobs twice as large as camilla's and loki's combined comes in and it is revealed that you aren't related by blood sooooo...

even if someone else makes the designs, the director ultimately makes the final call.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

3 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

fateslandia not having a name may have had something to do with the director, it only further hammered home that fates was about corrin, not a continent in the middle of a war and the people on that continent, but with byleth only existing so far, it could be a good sign, or a perfect bamboozlement, before your older sister with boobs twice as large as camilla's and loki's combined comes in and it is revealed that you aren't related by blood sooooo...

even if someone else makes the designs, the director ultimately makes the final call.

Yes but still making the final call and the one that mainly did said thing is different.

I mean yes the director ultimately makes the call on what's to be but the point is its likely he's involve only time he wasn't was in echoes likely due to doing other things ie Heroes and likely Three Houses(echoes at one point considered having an avatar feature so him not being there would've made no difference since the team liked the feature to consider it only to just be very faithful for the remake leaving things out). I mean we got an avatar now and likely S ranks alongside but I feel some here gotta give him more credit since if he's involved the decision if you like it are on him.

1 hour ago, Guest Lae said:

Yes but still making the final call and the one that mainly did said thing is different.

true, but keep in mind that two left feet corrin was given a pass by the director. my point was we can't ignore incompetence and bad taste.

edit: found it super-smash-bros-4-corrin.jpg&f=1

a lot of insest jokes were made about this one

Edited by thecrimsonflash

I’m going to be frank and say yes I am worried, not in that I’m worried it won’t release but more that I’m just worried that I’ll lose interest in this series.

I’ll make this as brief as I can because beating this dead horse has lost all meaning, I didn’t like Fates. My distaste for that game have more going for it than just “Story Bad” or “Begone Thots”, the whole thing just reeks of this cynical mindset of “we’ve found what sells, just do that and throw in some DLC to plug the holes and kiss the player’s ass, problem solved”. To this day I refuse to play the game because my feelings toward the game are too negative for me to enjoy it.

That said, I’m sure the people who’re hiding their concern behind “I wish the franchise died” and “It better not be Fates 2.0” feel the same. It’s not like I’m asking a company to cater to me specifically like some entitled child, it’s just that if Fire Emblem continues in this soulless, effortless, thoughtless direction of “Player Worship + Boobs + DLC = Money” for Three Houses then that’ll be it for me.

I know it’s just a video game, I know that if it goes in a direction I don’t like I can just get over it, drop the series, and move on with my life. I just REALLY hope it doesn’t do that, because I like enjoying things.

Guest SleepingRaccoon

I would not say I'm worried.
I'm actually curious to see how Three Houses will turn out.

Truth be told, as I grew up, I came to see Fire Emblem as a licence that never really developped itself, that always stayed on the same level with only minor differences between one installment and the next, be it in the gameplay or the storytelling. If I made a top 20 videogame, no FE would be in it.

Awakening made things worse. To this day, it's still one my least favorite videogames and,  obviously, my least favorite Fire Emblem. Awakening made me realize that my tastes, my expectations, my priorities were changing and Fire Emblem was also taking a direction that was not resonating with me, the series was not as satisfying as it was before. Fates and the spin-offs did not make things any better and thus I wondered if I should continue caring about Fire Emblem.

I decided to play Echoes and was quite satisfied with it even though it's definitely not a masterpiece, so I decided to wait for Three Houses. FE16 will be the definite answer to the question "is Fire Emblem still worth spending money and time for or should I just move on ?". I'll have my answer  in Spring, I hope.

This mindset makes the lack of news a non-issue for me.

Also, all of this is purely subjective, everyone has their own personal ideas and visions of what a videogame series should look like.