So apparently Bows in this game can attack at 1-Range

I will point out it only shows bows can counter at 1, it doesn't necessarily show us bows can attack at 1. This would still be a huge buff to archers, and how important such a distinction might be is harder to say (for instance it could put the archer in awkward position of having to either give up their player phase attack or give up terrain advantages to the enemy if they are left open to attack)

16 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Gaiden bows reign supreme!

Really thiough bows need a buff, not one that is miles across like FE2/15 but I don't want another Gordin, Tanya, Ronan, Wolt, Dorothy, Rebecca, Will, Neimi, Rolf, Leonardo or Virion.

Gordin is Top Tier in FE3 and Mid Tier in FE12, and the ONLY reason he isn't AT LEAST HIgh Tier is his growth. He really shouldn't ever be counted as bad Archers when it comes to blaming bows. His game's bow is so good, that a character who is completely shit otherwise can be justified for use entirely because they use bows well

I've always felt that bows being without close range attacks were apart of their charm, but I understand we all want to protect our units so its a feature I won't mind missing too much. Archer units will still probably have all the likable characters anyways so of course I'm going to use them regardless.

20 hours ago, RexBolt said:

I think there shold be 2 types of bows. Longbows with 2-3 range and Shortbows with 1-2 range.

12 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I will point out it only shows bows can counter at 1, it doesn't necessarily show us bows can attack at 1. This would still be a huge buff to archers, and how important such a distinction might be is harder to say (for instance it could put the archer in awkward position of having to either give up their player phase attack or give up terrain advantages to the enemy if they are left open to attack)

I think either of these would work best. With longbows having more might/less accuracy and vice versa for short bows.

Or in the case of the latter, they smack the opponent with their bow akin to a healer using a staff for melee. Obviously not as strong as an arrow strike but not totally defenseless either.

While archers really need some kind of buff, I also hope this balancing is due to daggers/knives returning and not wanting them to completely overshadow bows.

I get the feeling IS doesn't want to make 3 range too readily available in general because of how inherently game breaking it can become; heck, in quite a few harder difficulties throughout the series, even 2 range becomes invaluable for chip and safe damage dealing. Make 3 range a common archer thing and almost anything can be conquered with it if all else fails.

Basically it needs to either be so common that archers no longer are advantaged by having it, or rare. It could probably work somehow, but yeah, I think that's the basic reason why they haven't done it yet, despite it seemingly being an obvious way to fix archers.

I hope this is a sign that they are going to make bows like Echoes.  I think that was perfect, they could give the archers poorer stats to make up for being able attack from longer distance.  How they work in most FE is really sucky, they can't counter attack or attack from 1 space away like mages, they usually do less damage than mages since enemies usually have higher def than res as well.  The way they were in Echoes adds so much strategic depth.  I also like how spells had various ranges as well.  Let's open up spacing beyond 1 or 2 a lot more. 

18 hours ago, Cysx said:

I get the feeling IS doesn't want to make 3 range too readily available in general because of how inherently game breaking it can become; heck, in quite a few harder difficulties throughout the series, even 2 range becomes invaluable for chip and safe damage dealing. Make 3 range a common archer thing and almost anything can be conquered with it if all else fails.

Basically it needs to either be so common that archers no longer are advantaged by having it, or rare. It could probably work somehow, but yeah, I think that's the basic reason why they haven't done it yet, despite it seemingly being an obvious way to fix archers.

It really depends on the numbers in the end, FE6 have a lot of longbow supply and it doesn't really do much since it have 55% hit rate. The highest you can take those weapon is like 115 or so hit(30 skills + 55) and thats 85 hit at most against bosses with 0 speed and 0 luck, which is fairly shaky all things considered

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 6:02 AM, Cysx said:

It's only game-breaking when the game is balanced around the player being limited to 1 and 2 range. I think Bowrange +1 as an Archer/Sniper class bonus with longbows being infantry-locked would be fine in any conventional FE game; in the player's hands it gives them a niche magic can't easily replicate while in the enemy's hands it disrupts the dominance of 1-2 range enemy phasing.

If any ranged weapon is truly broken it's the 3-10 range siege tomes, those are extremely rare for a good reason.