So apparently Bows in this game can attack at 1-Range

Looking back at the Three Houses website, I noticed that Bows can counterattack at 1-Range, as demonstrated by some screenshots of Byleth fighting Hilda:

NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_12.jpg

NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_03.jpg

Compare these with another screenshot of Claude attacking an unknown enemy from a distance with his bow:

NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_13.jpg

What do you guys think?  I'm hoping these aren't going to be broken Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia bows with super-long range that can also counterattack up close.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Gaiden bows reign supreme!

Really thiough bows need a buff, not one that is miles across like FE2/15 but I don't want another Gordin, Tanya, Ronan, Wolt, Dorothy, Rebecca, Will, Neimi, Rolf, Leonardo or Virion.

I feel the need to clear up here that bows were not broken in SoV because of their range specifically. In both Gaiden and SoV bows suffer from having lower might compared to other weapons to compensate for their range. What really made bows broken in SoV was one specific type of bow: the Killer Bow. This is due to its incredible weapon art "Hunter's Volley" which is literally double lion, only it is on a killer bow with 1-5 range and significantly increases the unit's crit on activation.

Edited by CatManThree

25 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

I feel the need to clear up here that bows were not broken in SoV because of their range specifically. In both Gaiden and SoV bows suffer from having lower might compared to other weapons to compensate for their range.

Thank you.

I'd consider the range from only class promotions to be pretty fair. Bows with longer range are impeded by accuracy penalties

Bows having melee range is stupid, unless they're crossbows.

4 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

I don't want another Gordin, Tanya, Ronan, Wolt, Dorothy, Rebecca, Will, Neimi, Rolf, Leonardo or Virion.

That has to do with their stats, not the weapons themselves.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Having archers attack at melee range is something I was hoping they'd keep. It meant that archers weren't defenseless, but it's still not a good idea to leave the unit in enemy range.

Unless the map design is built around it, I'm not expecting the 1-5 range to return. 1-3 range is reasonable, though, as it allows archers to serve a role that isn't already fulfilled by mages without making the class overpowered.

The only real question I have about bows is whether or not they'll keep the low accuracy from Gaiden/Echoes, as that was how they were balanced in those games. The hit rates in the screenshots appear to be on the high side, but until we get more information, we can't know for certain.

50 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Bows having melee range is stupid, unless they're crossbows.

Crossbows are much less useable than bows in melee range. It takes a long time to load them, and they are unwieldy.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If we take Rebecca, grind her to 20/20 is she good? Yeah for killing 1 enemy per Player Phase. No 1 range will still hurt her.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

If we take Rebecca, grind her to 20/20 is she good? Yeah for killing 1 enemy per Player Phase. No 1 range will still hurt her.

She can still kill 1 or 2 enemies during enemy phase as well, if you position her right. If she erases one enemy per player phase and it happens to be someone blocking the way, that's good enough for me.

As for 1 range, I think it should be limited to some bows and make it so that other bows have higher MT and accuracy than most weapons, also make the archer class have natural good STR, SKL and SPD growths.

Edited by DiogoJorge

14 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

She can still kill 1 or 2 enemies during enemy phase as well, if you position her right. If she erases one enemy per player phase and it happens to be someone blocking the way, that's good enough for me.

As for 1 range, I think it should be limited to some bows and make it so that other bows have higher MT and accuracy than most weapons, also make the archer class have natural good STR, SKL and SPD growths.

I think there shold be 2 types of bows. Longbows with 2-3 range and Shortbows with 1-2 range.

1 minute ago, RexBolt said:

I think there shold be 2 types of bows. Longbows with 2-3 range and Shortbows with 1-2 range.

So basically there will be iron, steel, and silver Longbows and Shortbows, with Longbows having 1 more mt but 10 less accuracy, 5 less uses, and also weighing more than short bows. To add onto this idea, maybe at the tail end of the late game we get Greatbows, which have 1-3 range, since at this point all of the other classes will have access to pretty overpowered weapons.

1 hour ago, DarthR0xas said:

So basically there will be iron, steel, and silver Longbows and Shortbows, with Longbows having 1 more mt but 10 less accuracy, 5 less uses, and also weighing more than short bows. To add onto this idea, maybe at the tail end of the late game we get Greatbows, which have 1-3 range, since at this point all of the other classes will have access to pretty overpowered weapons.

Yeah, just make the Legendaries and S-ranks be freely 1-3 range. Maybe some A-ranks too if the game is low on real legendaries but i have a gut feeling tgis will one those games with a big armory of special plot-important weapons.

3 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

So why did you not list Innes or Shinon or any other "good archer" on your list? They can only kill one enemy on Player Phase, and yet you didn't put them on your list.

EDIT: All units can only kill one unit per Player Phase - at least normally (you mean per turn).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So why did you not list Innes or Shinon on your list? They have the exact same problems as Rebecca does.

Well Shinon has the advantage of being in Radiant Dawn, with the Marksman class having 2-3 range naturally. This makes him a little better than most archers. Also crossbows being a thing helps him a lot. Now POR Shinon has the issues mentioned as well, and so does Innes. The slight advantage they have is not needing to be trained. They're already snipers, while everyone else starts as baseline archers, so they don't use up a promotion item or take any exp to get to that point.

12 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Well Shinon has the advantage of being in Radiant Dawn, with the Marksman class having 2-3 range naturally. This makes him a little better than most archers.

He doesn't start as a Marksman, he has to promote into it. Therefore, there will be a period of time where he's still under the same restrictions as any other infantry bow user. Also, even with being a Marksman, he has no melee range options (which is what we're talking about, by the way) outside of crossbows and the Double Bow (which you don't get until Part 4's Endgame), and thus, he's still in the predicament that every other archer is.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Yeah I guess thats the point, its mostly just the fact that getting her up there does take time.