Scraiza

[FE8] Fire Emblem: Souls of the Forest

Hello SF! After much time in the shade, I'm here to announce my project.

Fire Emblem: Souls of the Forest is a gameplay focused hack made with FEBuilder that I've been developing since around late 2017, and now I feel like it's a good time to make a public release.

I've done changes on this project which I feel modify the vanilla FE gameplay to give the game it's own unique, yet not cluttered, experience.

The hack features:
Two difficulty modes, Lunatic is the intended mode for those seeking a tough game, but for those not into the hard hitting enemies you can pick normal.
14 chapters and 2 sidequests.
21 playable characters, most of them have custom portraits.
The standard quality of life hacks, such as warnings for effective/killer weapons, HP bars, growth rate display, etc.
Classes each only have access to one weapon type, but weapon triangle power is greatly increased.
Bows have 2-3 range as standard.
Mounted units have a bit less move in general, but possess Canto+.
Custom art mostly made by myself, or obtained from the Ultimate Graphics Repository.
A few custom music tracks.
Strong emphasis on weapon types and class individuality.
Master Seals as the sole promotion item.
No ambush spawns.

There's no supports yet and not much in terms of writing in the hack, but I intend to add it later on, as I have ideas in mind.

Specific gameplay changes can be read in the readme that the game has.

The patch can be downloaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo2ymvi7i98trbe/SOTF Release7.zip?dl=0
The hack's discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/BjcX3zJ

Screenshots:

Spoiler

https://imgur.com/a/PM00IdW (Apologies for not putting it directly, I'm bad at using forums lol)

One very important question:

Is it finished?

(If not polish-wise then at least like, is there a final boss/final chapter and such or does the game just sort of end mid-way)

So Far chapter decision seems good... I do think the lord character does struggle slighty…. Maybe might be a good idea to let him have 1 range bow for more utility... But I do think it has potential... Cant wait till you make the story.

I'll give this a shot when I have free time. Looks pretty interesting.

8 hours ago, Crimson Red said:

One very important question:

Is it finished?

(If not polish-wise then at least like, is there a final boss/final chapter and such or does the game just sort of end mid-way)

It is not finished, there's no specific chapter goal, but I estimate the hack will be on the low 20s on chapter count once finished, not counting gaidens

8 hours ago, SwordJustice12 said:

So Far chapter decision seems good... I do think the lord character does struggle slighty…. Maybe might be a good idea to let him have 1 range bow for more utility... But I do think it has potential... Cant wait till you make the story.

Archer damage is not supposed to be amazing since they never really get countered and can always do some damage somewhere thanks to their range, the lord is an exception once his growth kicks in though.
Also enemy fliers are quite scary when you face them, you'll value bow flexibility eventually.

Thanks for your kind words everyone!

This game feels like an inflation hack done right. Crazy high growth rates are kept in check by the weapon might scaling and weapon triangle's Atk mods. The roster is small but sufficient to give you a full team, and nobody felt useless. I also thought the mounted/infantry split was done very well, enemy strength was an effective deterrent to keeping your entire group together. Also the FoW player phase music is the best thing ever.

I do have one complaint though, I'm not a fan of how the hack ends. Specifically, I cleared the last chapter and it wrapped around back to Chapter 1... I'd rather have an end of patch filler or at least a buffer before the wrap-around.

ahh, dang, well. good luck finishing it. I'll look forward to playing it if it does =)