[FE8] Fire Emblem: Souls of the Forest

Scraiza

Hello SF! After much time in the shade, I’m here to announce my project.

Fire Emblem: Souls of the Forest is a gameplay focused hack made with FEBuilder that I’ve been developing since around late 2017, and now I feel like it’s a good time to make a public release.

I’ve done changes on this project which I feel modify the vanilla FE gameplay to give the game it’s own unique, yet not cluttered, experience.

The hack features:

• Three difficulties and many custom gameplay options, such as 100% Criticals, Fixed growths, Reverse mode, and many more. Lunatic Reverse is the intended mode for those seeking a tough game, but Normal and Hard are also avaliable, and the modifiers are completely optional.
  • 16 chapters and 3 sidequests, the first 8 chapters and 1 sidequest have writing in them.
  • 27 playable characters, all with custom portraits.
  • The standard quality of life hacks, such as warnings for effective/killer weapons, HP bars, growth rate display, etc.
  • Classes each only have access to one weapon type, but weapon triangle power is greatly increased.
  • Bows have 2-3 range as standard.
  • Mounted units have a bit less move in general, but possess Canto+.
  • Custom art mostly made by myself, or obtained from the Ultimate Graphics Repository.
  • Almost entirely custom music.
  • Strong emphasis on weapon types and class individuality.
  • Master Seals as the sole promotion item.
  • No ambush spawns.
  • Generic replacement units that join if you lose enough units.

There’s supports, they increase based on deployment, similar to games like Path of Radiance and New Mystery, but there’s no writing done on them yet.

Specific gameplay changes can be read in the diary that the game has.

Patch download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/buhv906u505p8w1/Sotf8.1.ups?dl=0

The hack’s discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/BjcX3zJ

Screenshots:

Spoiler

v81.png.bf5fe8b8d91ae4a488bfd5596300b884.pngBattle.png.3c3eb0b08496d14f65f25aa6c40c8646.pngBeryl.png.669ba079761c2714696a34843577140d.pngCh1.png.efe5a70ddeba358c076f1d01e78df17f.pngGamemode.png.fc5bccfefc3d7edb16248f33aad195f3.pngText.png.bd9b8009cf9b75c6e34a4ec96786efb2.pngRaider.png.2f3586324969770e19f4a8621e667c5f.pngAenny.png.c0780e66aaf2fe54ae78eeb79b6f33ce.png

Edited by Scraiza
Update 8.1

8 hours ago, Crimson Red said:

One very important question:

Is it finished?

(If not polish-wise then at least like, is there a final boss/final chapter and such or does the game just sort of end mid-way)

It is not finished, there's no specific chapter goal, but I estimate the hack will be on the low 20s on chapter count once finished, not counting gaidens

8 hours ago, SwordJustice12 said:

So Far chapter decision seems good... I do think the lord character does struggle slighty…. Maybe might be a good idea to let him have 1 range bow for more utility... But I do think it has potential... Cant wait till you make the story.

Archer damage is not supposed to be amazing since they never really get countered and can always do some damage somewhere thanks to their range, the lord is an exception once his growth kicks in though.
Also enemy fliers are quite scary when you face them, you'll value bow flexibility eventually.

Thanks for your kind words everyone!

This game feels like an inflation hack done right. Crazy high growth rates are kept in check by the weapon might scaling and weapon triangle's Atk mods. The roster is small but sufficient to give you a full team, and nobody felt useless. I also thought the mounted/infantry split was done very well, enemy strength was an effective deterrent to keeping your entire group together. Also the FoW player phase music is the best thing ever.

I do have one complaint though, I'm not a fan of how the hack ends. Specifically, I cleared the last chapter and it wrapped around back to Chapter 1... I'd rather have an end of patch filler or at least a buffer before the wrap-around.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/1/2019 at 2:19 AM, Regularhamboning said:

Now THIS is epic.

Any news on the next patch?

It should be coming somewhere around February or March, it has a bunch of new stuff on it.
So, for next release:
*DSFE style generic replacements if you kill too many units. (Praise Teq)
*16 chapters and 3 gaidens
*All playable characters get a new portrait.
*3 difficulties.
*Reverse gameplay choice. (Praise DoesntKnowHowToPlay)
*Rebalancing.
*Modular minimug box. (Praise Zane)
*More custom music tracks.
*Actually has some story to read.

Took me longer than I expected, but UPDATE TIME!
So as for what changed:

*DSFE style generic replacements if you kill too many units.
*There’s now 16 chapters and 3 gaidens, writing done up to Ch8, including 1 gaiden.
*3 difficulties.
*Reverse gameplay choice.
*Rebalancing.
*Modular minimug box.

The first post was updated, with a download link to the new patch and new screenshots.

Updated to release 8.0.1, after some players reported some jank that went under the radar, I whipped out a fix right away, the download link was updated.

Edited by Scraiza

Update 8.1 is live! Featuring a slick gamemodes menu (Thanks Snakey), unit rebalancing, lockpicks that you can actually sell, and a bunch of other minor changes.

• 4 months later...

Hey this seems cool! I hope the project keeps going and doesn't die!!

EDIT: The link is dead

Edited by This boi uses Nino

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 4:30 AM, Scraiza said:

It should be coming somewhere around February or March, it has a bunch of new stuff on it.
So, for next release:
*DSFE style generic replacements if you kill too many units. (Praise Teq)
*16 chapters and 3 gaidens
*3 difficulties.
*Reverse gameplay choice. (Praise DoesntKnowHowToPlay)
*Rebalancing.
*Modular minimug box. (Praise Zane)
*Actually has some story to read.

Now, now... I have a very important question. 

Is there a Rakel route or what's gonna happen to Rakel?