Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Rumor Discussion: How the Grinch Didn't Actually Leak Smash

Lightchao42

16 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Regardless of whether this is true or not, this leak has definitely been very entertaining to follow. I feel like this leak is probably accurate, as the evidence supporting it is very strong and there doesn't seem to be anything incredible about it. That being said, I feel it's always possible that other characters may get in as secret hidden characters that Sakurai hasn't yet announced or is holding off on announcing and that the banner might get another update later.

On one specific, I question Shadow's status. If we really have a Heroes versus villains theme, someone like Eggman or Metal Sonic would make more sense. Shadow, save for Sonic Boom Shadow, is a hero at best and an anti-hero with his own interfering agenda at worst. Additionally, I feel that Sakurai would, hopefully, give Shadow a moveset featuring his own unique abilities rather than making him an echo of Sonic with some physics and launch angle differences.

Jon of GameXplain has shown near psychic knowledge in any of their “rumors and discussion” videos and he mentioned he’d like to see Shadow as a semi clone with his chaos powers and a rocket launcher.

Considering this guy also offhandedly mentioned Isabelle and certain other aspects of the game that came true. I wonder if this will too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Florete said:

How do you know Nintendo's not doing anything? In a case like this, anything they do would probably go unnoticed by us.

After looking at all the little details, if this is fake, it's more effort than I've ever seen put into a fake by one person. Not only did he make this fake mural (which actually has a lot more small details than just adding a few characters in), he concocted a story around it not with text, but with context of a Snapchat video and the other materials within it.

You underestimate how much work people are willing to do for fame in the internet.

Also where are people getting the idea that this Smash has a Heroes and Villains theme? Just because 3 of the newcomers are villains, that they brought back Wolf and that Shadow is a possibility? It’s not really a theme, but rather all of these characters have been heavily requested since Melee.

There's one argument in favor of the leak that bothers me. It's people saying that, if the leak is fake, why would the French company take any action to take down or cover up anything that's being used as evidence. And the answer is that we're talking about a company that has to attract future potential buyers. If you get a reputation of being unreliable with sensitive information, nobody will hire you. Even if we find out the leak is bogus in a week's time, that reputation is still going to stick regardless of the truth. 

This may not have turned into the murder mystery I was hoping for, but one company could def shut down as a result of this leak.

9 hours ago, Water Mage said:

You underestimate how much work people are willing to do for fame in the internet.

Also where are people getting the idea that this Smash has a Heroes and Villains theme? Just because 3 of the newcomers are villains, that they brought back Wolf and that Shadow is a possibility? It’s not really a theme, but rather all of these characters have been heavily requested since Melee.

Nah, I don't think I do. I've seen some great fakes, but none like this. However, I'm willing to be proven wrong if you can show me a similar fake done by one person.

Where was a Heroes and Villains theme mentioned?

41 minutes ago, Florete said:

Nah, I don't think I do. I've seen some great fakes, but none like this. However, I'm willing to be proven wrong if you can show me a similar fake done by one person.

Where was a Heroes and Villains theme mentioned?

The Heroes and Villains theme was mentioned in this thread by Arcphoenix, it’s the previous page’s last post.

And about a similar example, I really don’t have one with me, but considering the things we see these days, I still think this could be a leak.

For the record, I'm in the "Don't necessarily believe it's true but concede it's probably the most credible leak thus far, and if it's real I don't mind the contents of the leak but hate that it was leaked at all" camp.

We need a shorter name for this camp.

Edited by Anomalocaris

23 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I just don't understand how somebody could not be hype for the possibility of Geno. Then it hit me.

They haven't thought of the possibility of an Axem Rangers boss battle. Wow, it must suck not having my level of foresight.

I personally find him creepy looking, but that's because I don't like puppets in general, hahah.

Anyways, for my final word on the leak - I'm on Team Real. The insiders are bringing up some paranoia in the back of my mind, but it's the lack of action from...is it ACP-PLV?...that's stopping me from thinking it's fake. Why on earth would they contact the bank on a Sunday of all days, just to take down a two year old video?

On 10/30/2018 at 7:27 PM, Glennstavos said:

I just don't understand how somebody could not be hype for the possibility of Geno.

Hot take but i feel that more people want Geno in because he's garuanteed to bring Beware the Forest Mushrooms with him and not because they actually like him as a character.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Glennstavos said:

I just don't understand how somebody could not be hype for the possibility of Geno. Then it hit me.

They haven't thought of the possibility of an Axem Rangers boss battle. Wow, it must suck not having my level of foresight.

I don't like Super Mario RPG, that's why.

15 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

MarioTehPlumber has said its him, if you don’t know who he is, he’s the one who bought 1000 Rosalina amiibo just to destroy them.

Call it what you will, but I don't actually believe this. As far as I know, we've seen nothing to suggest MTP has this kind of talent, and anyone can come up with that explanation. I want real details on how the fake banner was made, not "we just edited the banner and knew a guy at this company."

17 hours ago, Florete said:

Call it what you will, but I don't actually believe this. As far as I know, we've seen nothing to suggest MTP has this kind of talent, and anyone can come up with that explanation. I want real details on how the fake banner was made, not "we just edited the banner and knew a guy at this company."

Either way, he's certainly claiming the role.

40 minutes ago, Florete said:

Anyone can make a fake leak, but it's even easier to claim a fake leak.

From what we've seen, fake leakers very consistently come forward the moment they're debunked. This is also the rare fake leak that has a proposed motive - and boy did they get what they wanted. Sure it's possible somebody could take advantage of the silence to claim they were affiliated with it, but really this level of skepticism ought to have been spent on the leak itself.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:24 AM, Anomalocaris said:

Man do I feel vindicated now.

I wouldn't have minded the Grinch leak's purported roster but nevertheless there's some schadenfreude to be had here at the expense of all the folks who obstinately insisted it was true.

Yeah I can't relate. Being on Team Fake, I just start to hate the dumb thing for emotionally manipulating people. In lieu of not having anything tangible to complain about, I just see people complaining about the most shallow of things, and especially regarding details and features we don't know about yet. Because everybody's gotta act like their sadness is justified in some way. Hopefully all this blows over by release.