Smash Bros. Countdown to December 7th - Week 6 - Characters!

TheGoodHoms

Today I had the realization that WOW it's already the last week week of October! Time sure does fly. We're now only a little over a month away from the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate so I though it would be fun to start a forum to share our collective excitement with a topic of the week format. So I'll change the topic of discussion every week on Monday(since I'm starting this on a Monday) up until the release of the game on December 7th.

Week One - Items!

Like 'em or not Items have become a big part of Smash Bros' identity. So which Items are you most excited for in Smash Ultimate? (Excluding Assist Trophies and Pokemon for next week)

My picks for the most exiting Items are the Killing Edge because it's the first ever Fire Emblem Item, Fake Smash Ball for being an awesome concept, Banana Gun because it's hilarious, Super Launch Star for being a nice call back to my personal favorite Mario game, and The Home-Run Bat for being my favorite staple Item in the Smash Bros series.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

Since I'm more into competitive Smash than before, I don't play with items. There are cases where we mess around for fun and we use items.

Ah, good ol' Home-Run Bat... Always making people fearing death. The fake Smash Ball will be so much fun now that Final Smashes are gonna be sorta balanced! And the Rambling Evil Mushroom seems perfect for nonsensical battles!

I guess I have to wait for next week, Poké Balls are my favorite item because I like Pokémon so much.

25 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I haven't checked, is the Paper Fan coming back? Easily the greatest Item in the entire game, though that Fake Smash Orb will be fun too.

As of right now there as been no confirmation of the Fan's return. It was probably because it was a stupidly strong Item that got it cut from Smash 4, but hey, if they're working to re-balance it I'm all in.

As far as new items go, the Death's Scythe, Killing Edge, Fake Smash Ball, and Ramblin' Evil Mushroom all look like fun toys to play with, and I'll never say no to new items for Fire Emblem and EarthBound.

As far as old items go I've always had a soft spot for the Smoke Ball. It's not very useful but it's just plain fun making colored smoke spew everywhere or sticking it to people. Rolling Crates are also fun, and I have fond memories of using Ganondorf's up-tilt while standing on top of one. Have we seen footage of that item in Ultimate? It's not on the website but neither are some other items we know are returning.

The Smash Bros. Ultimate website has been updated to show all items that will be in the game: https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/item/index.html

It's an all-round good selection in my book, I'm sure it will lead to many nights of fun and salt in the not too distant future.

2 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

The Smash Bros. Ultimate website has been updated to show all items that will be in the game: https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/item/index.html

It's an all-round good selection in my book, I'm sure it will lead to many nights of fun and salt in the not too distant future.

Is it strange that I'm mostly happy the Smoke Ball, Blast Box, and Rolling Crate are back? We didn't see them for a while and they're just fun, silly items.

15 minutes ago, Thany said:

hopefully people can still stand on the rolling crate when someone is holding it, lead to alot of silly situations of carrying people.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes oh Sakurai please please please I pray to God this is still a thing make it happen!

Edited by TheGoodHoms

Week 2 - Assist Trophies & Pokemon!

You can only make so many playable characters in one fighting game. It's an unfortunate truth of game development, but Smash Bros. tries to remedy this by making Assist Trophies which serve to aid a player in battle and act as a cameo for a character who didn't make the cut or couldn't otherwise be playable in the game. Pokemon doubles down on this by giving the plethora of pocket monsters their own separate item from which they can be summoned from. Which Assist Trophies and Pokemon are you looking forward to seeing the most in Smash Bros. Ultimate?

For the Assist Trophies I'm looking for ward to Guile, Alucard, Isaac, Zero, Shovel Knight, Moon, Rathalos, Knuckles, Thwomp, Phosphora, Color TV Game-15, Nikki, and Lyn. I would have liked for many of them to be playable characters, but I still think it's cool that they're still in the game and that's enough for me. Pokemon on the other hand doesn't give me too much to be super excited for admittedly, but I will say the inlucsions of Alolan Exeggutor and Tapu Koko are freaking awesome since they're some of my favorite Sun and Moon Pokemon, especially Tapu Koko.

Check out the full lists on the offical site: https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/item/assistfigure.html

Edited by TheGoodHoms

The Burrowing Snagret looks fun. Pikmin went an embarassingly long time without an Assist. Also looking forward to the Black Knight's implacable march, Kapp'n spiriting people away, and getting to destroy the Wily Capsule. Oh yeah, don't forget the moon, too.

As for returning ones, I'm glad to see Isaac return after his absence in Smash 4, and I always love Dr. Wright. I'm also glad to have the Prince of Sable, even if I wanted him to be playable.

The only new Pokemon that really interests me is Ditto. That's gonna lead to some fun.

I love Akira straight out of VF1, that's bonkers. Thanks, Sega. Seeing his attack animations makes me wish Ryo Hazuki were in the game as well. He reused a lot of those animations for his attacks in Shenmuey. Guile is also very funny. Just there to bait you over for a flash kick. I wonder if he throws Sonic Booms as well if you ignore him?

Week 3 - Music!

With over 800 music tracks in the soundtrack of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate it's safe to say the nostalgic tunes of yesteryear are a valued part of the series by the developers and fans alike. There's even a new set up where stages can share music tracks if they're from the same series and on top of that you can make playlists in the music library you can listen to when you're not playing the game! What music are you most excited to hear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

I'm not going to speculate what songs I'd want in the game since it's such a broad spectrum to choose from, but I will say out of the music revealed on the game's official site I'm the most happy with the inclusions of Guile Stage, Battle!(Wild Pokemon), Flash Man Stage, Gang-Plank Galleon, Bloody Tears/Monster Dance, Snake Eater, and Vega Stage. Also the main theme is epic as all heck, both the E3 version and the World of Light version.

Id Purpose is back and better than ever! I'm definitely excited to find out what other Fire Emblem songs are in the game, as well as The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus, Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy, and so many others. If I could wish for any one remix though, it would have to be Kind Dedede's battle theme because it would be too perfect for Smash.

And yeah, I think Lifelight will go down as one of Smash Brother's defining musical tracks (though I'm not sure if it overtakes Audi Famam, that piece is amazing).

Of the revealed songs, I'm most looking forward to brawling it out to Gangplank Galleon and Wood Man Stage. Lifelight is also incredible.

I'm glad the music tracks from 64 and Melee have been renamed- now they're actually named after whatever song they're derived from, instead of simply being named after the stage they once played on.

So, for example, the Melee track "Fire Emblem" is now properly called "Together We Ride", the 64 track "Dream Land" is now "Gourmet Race (64)", ect.

Week 4 - Stages!

Every fighting game needs a few good backdrops to compliment the action and Super Smash Bros has a long list of memorable stages. Some of the stages are interactive or hazardous to keep the players on their toes within the chaos, but there are also stages built for more skill based encounters too. In Smash Ultimate there are 103 stages from all across the series history to be excited about along with 5 brand new stages. So which stages are you most looking forward to playing on in Super Smash Bros Ultimate?

Personally I'm a little disappointed that we only have a few new stages, but I can understand why since there are so many returning ones as well. At the top of my list is Dracula's Castle, Moray Towers, and New Donk City Hall. Followed by a number of returning stages like Hyrule Castle, Big Blue, Kongo Falls, Castle Siege, Pirate Ship, Shadow Moses Island, Spear Pillar, Guar Plains, Rest Bomb Forest, Gamer, Garden of Hope, and Wrecking Crew among others. Also the fact that ever stage now comes with a battlefield as well as a final destination is absolutely awesome. Also turning off hazards and stage morphing is going to be way too much fun.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

• TheGoodHoms changed the title to Smash Bros. Countdown to December 7th - Week 4 - Stages!

Battlefield forms and hazardless forms are a boon, as is Stage Morph and the ability to mix and match forms within Stage Morph.

Having 103 stages is going to be super-awesome. Long gameplay sessions get stale pretty quickly when you hit every stage and loop back to the beginning, but now you'd have to be Smashing for hours on end to exhaust the stage list. Plus some of my old favorites are returning, including Saffron City, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Island, and Summit.

As for stages that didn't make the cut, I'm disappointed Woolly World is gone and actually feel a little nostalgic for the old Planet Zebes stage. I feel like its stage geometry is different enough from Melee's Brinstar to have been worth bringing back. Still, it's hard to be upset with 103 stages.