Ertrick's Other LPs: Fire Emblem Mystery, Metal Gear Solid 1 (Big Boss run), and Ace Combat 3 (translated JP version)

Ertrick36

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I will make a poll for who the girls should be paired with in another thread.

When I first read this, I thought you were doing a PMU and I was ready to offer a pairing. Not sure what, perhaps Claugid, but I really didn't think it through.

Also, just for the heck of it, can you pair Julia? A hassle yes, but why not? To be nice, I was going to say Ulster, since same movement type and all, but it to be a bit wackier, Oifey. If he is too clutch b/c bad pairings, then go for Ulster.

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

And yes, I'm using the artworks from the Fire Emblem: Treasure book whenever I can for the thumbnails.  Mayumi Hirota is the first actually good FE artist, imo.

Did FE actually hire more-than-utilitarian artists pre-FE4/5? Treasure only came out six months before T776. I guess the only real artist who existed prior was the one who did the Manual/Super Tactics Book art. That had some good stuff:

Spoiler

SigurdTailto

But other things, not so much:

Spoiler

Page 83: Delmud, Nanna and FinPage 90: Dimna, Mana, Laylea and Sharlow

Finn really should lay off the dish detergent. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I know how you feel. I don't drink much either, and I just get a headache when I do. Did you eat a lot before drinking? Drinking on an empty stomach isn't good either.

And I get what you mean by the process. Making videos can be a real pain, speaking from personal experience.

And heyyyy FE4. One of my favorites. I'm thinking of replaying it rn.

I hope people give you some more unorthodox pairings rather than the usual Lex+Ayra, Midir+Edain, Lac+Finn, Syl+Claud/Nobody, Erin+Lewyn, Tailtiu+Azel, Briggid+Chulainn

I ate an entire box of Mac n Cheese before the drink.  Though that typically helps in making me drowsy and slow.

Yeah, lots of waiting around... if I'm lucky.  My damn programs will sometimes say I don't have enough space to save the video even though I've got at least 100 gigs, and there's no way my videos are even half that size.  At least I have a bit of fun making thumbnails.

And yeah, it is definitely a good one.  I mean, I play FE a lot in general, but Genealogy has the most captivating story for me and I really like how the generation system is handled.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Finn really should lay off the dish detergent. 

And Laylea ought to take a break from bath salts.

She has worse eyes than Heroes!Eliwood.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When I first read this, I thought you were doing a PMU and I was ready to offer a pairing. Not sure what, perhaps Claugid, but I really didn't think it through.

Also, just for the heck of it, can you pair Julia? A hassle yes, but why not? To be nice, I was going to say Ulster, since same movement type and all, but it to be a bit wackier, Oifey. If he is too clutch b/c bad pairings, then go for Ulster.

I did make a PMP, right here ヽRGaYS2c.png

If you got 2nd Gen recommendations, I'll hear 'em.  I may not heed them, but if they sound nice then I may go with them.

On 1/4/2019 at 2:17 AM, Michelaar said:

I have to say.... your videos are pretty fun to watch :P

I subbed!

Hey, I'm glad to entertain new folks.  Hope you continue to enjoy my stuff RGaYS2c.png

And those following will be pleased to know I'm in the process of uploading a new part for Genealogy.  Now that I've got my pairings all squared away and arena grinding done, I just need to destroy the silly Verdanites who had the audacity to challenge the most powerful nation in the continent of Jugdral.

Fuck, I had a really good rant in this next part about writing and stuff, but then I had to go and spoil things about Fates, so I have to cut bits of it out.  I went into a wild swing about just what exactly I hate about Corrin in Conquest, but revealed some spoilerific stuff.

Anyway, yeah, new part for Mystery will be coming.  Probably the last, say, ten-fifteen minutes of the vid will be edited quite heavily, or cut and replaced entirely.  And generally speaking, the last half hour is just fluff - basically me talking about fan fiction and showing vs. telling, all because the game had to describe Aritia as "beautiful" (which shouldn't be done in narration, generally speaking).  But other than that, it's mostly just me struggling against goddamn Gharnef, both in gameplay and by principle of his title as translated by fans (he's not a feckin' demon, you heathens).

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

But other than that, it's mostly just me struggling against goddamn Gharnef, both in gameplay and by principle of his title as translated by fans (he's not a feckin' demon, you heathens).

From my limited knowledge of Japanese-English translation, aka Legends of Localization, I would certainly think the issue is the Japanese character Ma:

Spoiler

First, right off the bat, the  (ma) presents a big problem. It actually has a bunch of different meanings, including:

• devil, demon, evil spirit
  • harmful (or evil) person or thing
  • magic
  • supernatural
  • crazy, insane
  • obsessed

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From my limited knowledge of Japanese-English translation, aka Legends of Localization, I would certainly think the issue is the Japanese character Ma:

Reveal hidden contents

First, right off the bat, the  (ma) presents a big problem. It actually has a bunch of different meanings, including:

• devil, demon, evil spirit
  • harmful (or evil) person or thing
  • magic
  • supernatural
  • crazy, insane
  • obsessed

Well, if there’s one thing I know about Japanese in my limited knowledge of the language (knowing absolutely no words beyond memes and random trivia), it’s that Japanese is a language of context.

And there’s plenty of context to indicate that the title should’ve had more to do with mages and clergy than monsters and royalty.  Or at least I’d imagine there is since he and all of those associated with him are already referred to as bishops and mages.

Anyway, I’m sorry, but the planned video won’t release until tomorrow morn/afternoon.

28 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

And there’s plenty of context to indicate that the title should’ve had more to do with mages and clergy than monsters and royalty

Did they call him the Demon King? If so, then it is definitely a Mao (or Maou is an alternative spelling) situation. Since the o/ou means "monarch" (the character is gender-neutral). 

As the full length article I borrowed that Ma definitions comes from points out, Mao and Daimao (a "Great Maou") are as commonplace as rice and cute things in Japan. Bowser is a Daimao, Ganon is a Daimao, Laharl's aspires to be a Mao/Daimao (Overlord in English), Piccolo in Dragon Ball is a Daimao. Magus of Crono Trigger has no actual name in Japan (in 600 AD that is), he just goes by the title Mao. The Tyrant race home to Lucifer and Beelzebub in SMT are Mao. Heck the article also showed a picture where Mao was used to describe David Bowie- that is just how freely and plentifully the term is used.

Maybe for someone who actually speaks Japanese, the term can retain some specialness even with such heavy usage, but I will say I like the many alternative and creative translations English comes up with. Such as "Dark Pontifex" for Gharnef.

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Did they call him the Demon King? If so, then it is definitely a Mao (or Maou is an alternative spelling) situation. Since the o/ou means "monarch" (the character is gender-neutral). 

Yeah, but I mean...  It's like they just put "Mao" in Google translate and went with whatever it gave them.

Maybe I'm being a bit hard.  I know it's easy to look back on things in hindsight, especially when we've gotten better, official translations now.  But still, I just don't really like the title of "Demon King" for Gharnef.  It just isn't right for him.  He's more a mage than he is a demon.

Speaking of...

This chapter was a mild pain in the ass and Minerva nearly died, but Catria was godly in those slick Imhullu dodges.

So listen, I'm sure people here don't mind, but I'm only putting out another part for a FE game, but I'll explain a bit why I haven't been doing the other games.

Basically, I'm not able to find the time to do any of the stuff I want to do off-screen, and also I've grown sick of doing a lot of the more slower paced games all week long two hours a day, four days a week.  So I'll cycle in a couple of new games that have a bit of a faster pace.  I got a couple of ideas.  This doesn't mean I won't be doing the other two games, I just want to expand my repertoire of games I'm LPing.  I feel like if I make things diverse enough, I'll be more motivated to put out stuff when I schedule them, and I'll also be more motivated to play the other games off-screen if I have a little breathing room.

To clarify, every week until the VC4 situation improves, I'll be doing the FE games I do every Monday and Tuesday, and the other two days will be filled with the two games I'm already doing one week, and then the week after will alternate to the new games.  I'll probably cycle in the new games first.  And these won't be games where I'll have to grind or do anything off-screen at all (at least, nothing substantial that'll take more than, like, 15 minutes), I guarantee this.

In any event...

Time to kill the sand man that is haunting Verdane, and to find Sigurd true love.

I don't know about you, but I'm rather proud of my voice work for these cultists and even Batur.  Also, Ayra's an arena beast - she's the only unit who managed to kill every enemy in the Arena besides Sigurd himself.

Edited by Ertrick36

So okay, the reason I've not been posting is because there was one game I was searching for that I wanted to LP.  It's one of those tricky-to-find Japanese games.  It has an international version, but I hear that one's inferior to the OG Japanese version.  So I was looking for the Japanese version of that game so that I could patch it with a fan translation and LP it, but I've had no luck so far.

With that out of the way, I'm gonna continue looking for it, and I'll prepare my LP of the other new game.  I'll try to shoot for next Monday and Tuesday for those games' LPs to begin.  But if I got nothing by that time, I'll just do one of the two new games and resume the rest of my LP schedule.

Got some really awful news.

Remember how I complained about my computer?  Yeah, well, guess who doesn’t have a computer for probably another week.

I didn’t resolve my issues with the computer in time, and thus screwed myself over.  Next time, I will plug the power supply into the wall, and next time I’ll have third party software to help me know this shit ahead of time.

So this means no LP for now, as I can’t really record on a phone.  I’m really sorry about this goddamn travesty and have only myself to blame for not performing the right maintenance on my PC.

More Mystery because I just felt like doing more of it.  I recorded it last week, btw.

Got the final member of my party because...  I mean, come on, how could I not recruit this gem:

8d4fc1S.png

Plus she's the only real, viable contingency for the final boss if you fail to obtain Falchion, which is always nice to have.

So with that, my final team looks like this:

1. Marth (duh)
  2. Sheeda (again, duh)
  3. Abel
  4. Ogma
  5. Kashim
  6. Julian
  7. Lena
  8. Navarre
  9. Merric
  10. Hardin
  11. Minerva
  12. Linde
  13. Palla
  14. Catria
  15. Tiki

Such are the whims of Fate! :sirius:

And yes, the limit is 15 for the final level.  Apparently you don't get Gotoh for the end chapter in this game, which is a rather odd cut and unfortunate because he's a stellar addition to the endgame party.

Alright, I was going to put out a casual part of VC4 where I was gonna talk about my plans, but it's just not saving right at all.  So I'll just say what I was gonna say here.

First, my LP schedule.  Gonna cease my Disgaea plans until I beat VC4.  It's way too much playing three different strategy games at once.  My plan is to replace it with probably either Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars: KotOR (an RPG using a modification of D&D's 4e ruleset), some Fallout game, and/or Soulcalibur II or III.  But generally speaking, my strategy LPing will be cut down to just VC and FE until I beat the former.  Also, when Cirosan finishes it, I'm gonna LP the Project Exile translation of Thracia 776, so look forward to that.

Secondly, I gave some very disorganized thoughts on Three Houses.  I said that I feel like the school approach could be either good or bad, but the fact that the protagonist is a teacher gives me hope it won't devolve into the typical nonsense that is high school animes.  And then I went on to speak about the gameplay, how I like the approach of building the entire army myself with all the options they gave us.  Then I spoke about supports, how I would enjoy them being done like in more recent games, but that I really don't care to see children mechanics return in this particular entry.  Lastly said that I would like to see Byleth be customizable in the same vein as Robin and Corrin, but they make it seem like it might not be a returning feature.

Also, I will do my utmost to put something out tomorrow.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:55 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Such are the whims of Fate! :sirius:

And yes, the limit is 15 for the final level.  Apparently you don't get Gotoh for the end chapter in this game, which is a rather odd cut and unfortunate because he's a stellar addition to the endgame party.

As someone who likes the idea of Gotohs, I am disappointed by this. And why'd he have to go? They already have his profile in the game since he still exists. Did they not know how to use the SNES's storage capacities well enough to fit another character? And his recruitment chapter is in this game, being the final battle. And did Darros and Wrys have to go while we're at it? I get Jake and Beck, but why the other two? Why not get rid of Vyland instead of any of these? They're all more unique than him. Or get rid of Matthis, replace him with a generic enemy Cav in Book 2.

Complaining aside, I am as happy as a dead Giygas!

Why? I decided "Well I somehow botched my chances for TRS until I can try it out on a different system, but I never tried a non-TRS game", and thus at long last got around to trying a different FE on my Mac. And after a little flopped finagling where I considered crying again in frustration (if you read on the TRS board my very first post here on SF, you will see it is utterly pathetic, regrettably so), it looks like I have Mystery and Binding aworkin' and translated! YESSSSSSSSSSSS! (Now I've gotta beat Binding before the March 8th one and only dedicated Binding Blade New Heroes banner in FEH.)

And I can then probably do the same with the other titles that stayed in Japan. Although I might skip Thracia until somebody makes Kempf remember (North) America is the old name of the continent Valentia to be until a global nuclear holocaust that temporarily ripped open the fabric of spacetime 50000 years ago, thus creating "magic", the mutants known as "dragons", and resurfacing the planet. And oh yeah, translates the rest of the game without the "this was translated when the Internet was in puberty, and so were the translators" vibe.

Sorry to be selfish here. I'm just excited and don't feel like making an FFtF topic for it.:rolleyes:

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 2/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

As someone who likes the idea of Gotohs, I am disappointed by this. And why'd he have to go? They already have his profile in the game since he still exists. Did they not know how to use the SNES's storage capacities well enough to fit another character? And his recruitment chapter is in this game, being the final battle. And did Darros and Wrys have to go while we're at it? I get Jake and Beck, but why the other two? Why not get rid of Vyland instead of any of these? They're all more unique than him. Or get rid of Matthis, replace him with a generic enemy Cav in Book 2.

It would've at least have been nice to be able to choose him in the final chapter.  Gotoh is certainly more valuable than all the subpar, mediocre cavaliers and mercenaries the game loves throwing at you when you already have at two units in each class that are objectively better in both books (you'd be a fool to use Matthis over Sirius).

Also, I'll allow you that selfish post once, but don't make a habit of it.  I'm glad for you and all, and I know you mean no ill-will by it, but it is kind of disrespectful.  As open as I am to discussions, I can't start letting people post whatever they will in my LP thread, as it is a place that's meant for, you know... my LPs.  And the fact that you likened it to a post you'd see in FftF only makes me more reticent to accept its presence in my thread here.  So yeah, try to avoid making posts like that here in the future.

So anyway, my city got hit with a pretty humongous snowfall.  Got several inches worth of snow just piled up everywhere.  So I can't say if I'll be able to post anything for the week.

• 1 month later...

I'm so sorry for having been absent for a whole month.  It seems I can never get my let's plays in order...

Anyway, I'm here to bring you a special presentation.

Anybody remember this weird ass shovelware hack?

Well, I felt like playing it for some reason.  It is nothing short of an incredible experience.

inb4 the video gets taken down for child labor violations on account of a ten year old girl fighting ruffians and soldiers

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Oh god what's this haha. This looks like a wild ride.

If you've ever played Blazing Sword, it's basically Lyn Mode on crack.

Also, they jumbled the lore and made Lilina have a child with a random-ass mid-boss from Binding Blade.  Because I guess Lilina x Roy, Lilina x Bors, Lilina x Barth, Lilina x Gonzales, or Lilina x any frickin' playable character in Binding Blade would've been too normal.