1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

31 minutes ago, Jave said:

The only real life person allowed to appear in Smash Bros. is Dr. Kawashima.

Would Segata Sanshiro count? I think he'd deserve to pop in in some form. :P

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Would Segata Sanshiro count? I think he'd deserve to pop in in some form. :P

He's a fictional character though.

Dracula's in the game, and he really existed at one point (albeit without Vampire powers. I'm like 90% certain the real life Dr Kawashima isn't a floating head who can materialize numbers at will though. 90% sure...).

Edited by Jotari

While it's no doubt unlikely and an even bigger crack pick than either Joker or Cloud, I would love to have Kat from "Gravity Rush" as DLC. If one wants to talk about which Sony character would have the highest odds of joining Smash, it would be the character from what I would personally consider to be Sony's most "Nintendo-y" first-party game; a game that feels like something that wouldn't be far off from the usual output of EPD or one of Nintendo's development partners.

The day that "Sony Interactive Entertainment, Inc." is listed in the character copyright listing that appears after every Smash Bros. trailer and on the title screen will be the day the internet explodes in ways we have never seen (maybe Microsoft might be first, but only if it isn't either Banjo, Steve, or a character not generally associated with Nintendo).  

On 12/13/2018 at 7:09 PM, Florete said:

He didn't. He said each challenger pack would contain a unique fighter.

Characters based on real people certainly won't happen, though.

Oh. My mistake.

Edit: shit the site glitched on me and I accidentally double posted. If someone could remove the above post by me I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Eqstrian819

Hmm...if the comments about the DLC characters all being from series not yet in Smash is true I might have to amend some of my predictions. Technically predicted an Atlus rep but Jack Frost did not happen but I don't mind too much since we got Joker from Persona 5 instead. Pokémon and Fire Emblem might not happen this time around. I still think Phoenix Wright and KOS-MOS still have a chance and both of them can stir excitement just as well as Joker did. So, these are the four characters I will predict now.

1. Phoenix Wright from Capcom's Ace Attorney series and I would say is my most wanted character for Smash despite competition from DMC, RE and even Okami
  2. KOS-MOS from Bandai Namco's Xenosaga with competition from Tales, Tekken and Soulcaliber
  3. A Square rep, probably someone from Dragon Quest even though I would prefer someone from FF4 or FF6.
  4. First Party rep. I don't know, I am still kind of hoping Nintendo brings at least one new character from their own franchises outside of Piranha Plant, preferably something popular like Eevee. Otherwise I guess I will predict something crazy like an Arc System rep.

Edited by NSSKG151
Xenosaga, not Xenogears

All these guest characters people throw around got me hungry for more personal pan pizza picks

• Solaire. Think of the gag they could pull in the gameplay portion of his trailer involving Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation attack. And the fan art.
  • Midna. Think of the gag they could pull in the gameplay portion of her trailer by saying "there's four links now!", indicating the one she rides on.
  • Ryo Hazuki. Think of the gag they could pull in the gameplay portion of his trailer by having him and Bayonetta performing Akira's moves on Akira himself.
  • Dante. Think of the cool cinematic portion of his trailer which just recreates the opening of DMC3 but this time with other smash characters interrupting dinner.

15 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

KOS-MOS from Bandai Namco's Xenogear

You mean Xenosaga? Because Xenogears is Square Enix.

---------

As popular as KOS-MOS is, i'd rather have Shion. I personally like her more but i really just want people to realize that Xenosaga has more than one main protaganist. 

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Huh, yeah I meant Xenosaga. I have been watching a lets play of Xenogears lately so I must of had it on my mind when I was writing my post.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

---------

As popular as KOS-MOS is, i'd rather have Shion. I personally like her more but i really just want people to realize that Xenosaga has more than one main protaganist. 

Problem is that KOS-MOS is more popular and Namco seems to prefer using her in crossovers over Shion, who falls under the "Broken Base" YMMV trope due to her personality in episode III.

• 2 weeks later...

What I want:

Capcom - Dante (Devil May Cry)

Square - 2B (NieR: Automata)

Namco - Yuri Lowell (Tales)

Microsoft - Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)

What I expect:

Namco - Heihachi (Tekken) (Meh)

Square - Erdrick (Dragon Quest) (Okay)

Capcom - Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) (Still happy with)

Microsoft - Steve (Minecraft) (Do not want)

Edited by Etheus

I do think if we get a Namco character it'll be Yuri, easily. Vesperia Definitive gives him recency and marketability while also being so popular among the Tales fandom he got retired from official polls due to always getting #1. The people who want Lloyd are probably the same people who want pre-VII FF characters.

Heihachi himself is in an awkward spot, as he was a rejected fighter from Smash 4 and Pac-Man has a sprite of him now in Ultimate.

Edited by The DanMan

38 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I do think if we get a Namco character it'll be Yuri, easily. Vesperia Definitive gives him recency and marketability while also being so popular among the Tales fandom he got retired from official polls due to always getting #1. The people who want Lloyd are probably the same people who want pre-VII FF characters.

Heihachi himself is in an awkward spot, as he was a rejected fighter from Smash 4 and Pac-Man has a sprite of him now in Ultimate.

I certainly hope so. Yuri is easily the best protagonist Tales has ever had, and still rates among the most likeable and refreshing protagonists in any JRPGs. He's not the naive, awkward, dimwitted tool that pretty much every other JRPG protagonist (including and especially Lloyd) is and I love him for it.

Edited by Etheus

6 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I don't think being rejected from Smash 4 lowers one's chances of getting into Ultimate. Just look how many times Ridley has been turned down.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Jotari said:

I think if Rex doesn't get in then that means we're getting five third party characters, plus or minus maybe another Fire Emblem character or even a game we haven't heard much of yet (Metroid Prime 4 as an example). There just doesn't seem to be any character among the current Nintendo roster that seems more likely than him.

Reggie said at the Game Awards that the DLC characters are from series not already represented in Smash. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Metroid are already represented, so they're not happening.

26 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Reggie said at the Game Awards that the DLC characters are from series not already represented in Smash. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Metroid are already represented, so they're not happening.

No, Reggie said the characters would be new to Smash. Which is a bit of a redundant statement as we already have every cut character back. 

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

No, Reggie said the characters would be new to Smash.

He also said that they would be "characters that you would not anticipate to be in Smash", i.e. not characters like Rex & Pyra, Sylux and someone from Three Houses.

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

He also said that they would be "characters that you would not anticipate to be in Smash", i.e. not characters like Rex & Pyra, Sylux and someone from Three Houses.

That's really subjective though. How many people are actually anticipating Sylux, for example? How many people outside of Metroid Prime fans even know who he is?

28 minutes ago, Etheus said:

How many people are actually anticipating Sylux, for example?

The Metroid fanbase for a start, given that it's hinted that he'll be in the upcoming Metroid Prime 4 (and doesn't have a spirit in Ultimate as of yet).

30 minutes ago, Etheus said:

How many people outside of Metroid Prime fans even know who he is?

Not many, but I could say the same about some of Ultimate's base roster.

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't think being rejected from Smash 4 lowers one's chances of getting into Ultimate. Just look how many times Ridley has been turned down.

We don't know how often Ridley was considered-- and either way, he's an incredibly special case as he was the single most requested fighter for a decade+. 

For every Villager and Pac-Man there's a Dixie, Excite Biker, and Takamaru; a character being rejected makes us aware that they didn't make it in before and a few have been revisited, but a lot of the time they just never make it in.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Riiiight, and according to Sakurai the rest of Smash 4's DLC after Roy, Ryu, and Lucas would be "fanservice": 

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/ryu-roy-and-lucas-join-the-battle-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-481/
"From now until the end, it is going to be fan service "

...Which is why only 1/3 of the character picks were fanservice, with two marketing choices (one of which was added under the blatantly false pretense of having won the Smash Ballot).

You're taking PR way too seriously and projecting onto it.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

Don't take Reggie's words so seriously. He talked a lot without really saying anything. All he told us for sure is that the DLC will be newcomers, but that was obvious since every veteran already returned.

It was said at the VGA for as broad an audience as possible; he was just reaffiriming that all the DLC characters would be newcomers.

• 1 month later...

Could one of the remaining 4 be a Digimon? That series has kinda been the Sonic to Pokemon's Mario. Agumon or Renamon would be the most likely candidate. Agumon's practically the face of the series, while Renamon has popularity rivaling that of Lucario. Pac-Man represents the Namco half, Digimon can rep the Bandai half.

Another off-the-wall suggestion: Pete of Harvest Moon, using tools such as a pitchfork, sickle, axe, and hammer as his weapons. If Villager from Animal Crossing can make it in, Natsume's own "peaceful RPG" protagonist certainly has a shot. I can picture the Classic Mode where he helps out six different ally female fighters as a nod to HM's courting system. Peach, Zelda, Robin, Corrin, Lucina, and Palutena come to mind. The FE girls being among the "suitors" would also reference the relationship system within their own series.

Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden would be a good Koei Tecmo rep. Even more of a ninja than Sheik or Greninja, complete with the Shuriken as his neutral special and the Windmill Shuriken as his forward special.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 2 months later...