1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

Let me guess...Erdrick, 2B, KOS-MOS and Byleth. 

Why Byleth? Why not Edelgard? Sure; Byleth is the protagonist and the teacher, but Edelgard is the one that's been getting the most attention and was just as prominent in both trailers as Byleth (if not more prominent). 

Also, why Erdrick? I don't know much about Dragon Quest, but isn't that a bit like asking for Anri instead of Marth?

26 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Why Byleth? Why not Edelgard? Sure; Byleth is the protagonist and the teacher, but Edelgard is the one that's been getting the most attention and was just as prominent in both trailers as Byleth (if not more prominent). 

Also, why Erdrick? I don't know much about Dragon Quest, but isn't that a bit like asking for Anri instead of Marth?

After Nintendo picked Corrin over Azura, I don't have much faith in them necessarily picking the most worthy or unique representatives of their respective game.

Edited by Etheus

6 minutes ago, Etheus said:

After Nintendo picked Corrin over Azura, I don't have much faith in them necessarily picking the most worthy or unique representatives of their respective game.

I'm not even talking about worthy or unique; I'm talking about which is getting more screen time and presence. But I see your point. I hope they don't do that again. Maybe we should all write to Nintendo: Pick Edgelord Edelgard. 

Um... Is there an answer to my other question? From what little I know of Dragon Quest, Erdrick is the heroic ancestor/title given to heroes at the end of games, not the name of any protagonist. So, why Erdrick? Why not Luminary?

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm not even talking about worthy or unique; I'm talking about which is getting more screen time and presence. But I see your point. I hope they don't do that again. Maybe we should all write to Nintendo: Pick Edgelord Edelgard. 

Um... Is there an answer to my other question? From what little I know of Dragon Quest, Erdrick is the heroic ancestor/title given to heroes at the end of games, not the name of any protagonist. So, why Erdrick? Why not Luminary?

Not a Dragon Quest fan so I can only speak from hearsay, but my understanding is that Erdrick is the most popular main hero in the Japanese fanbase.

Though I would personally prefer the Luminary or the DQ8 protagonist from a visual standpoint.

And well, if we only get one new Square rep, I would personally want it to be 2B because NieR music is every bit as impressive and desirable as Persona music. 

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Not a Dragon Quest fan so I can only speak from hearsay, but my understanding is that Erdrick is the most popular main hero in the Japanese fanbase.

Though I would personally prefer the Luminary or the DQ8 protagonist from a visual standpoint.

Oh; okay. I'm not a Dragon Quest fan either; I'm just interested in getting XI when it releases for the Switch and I just did a quick research on "Erdrick" after seeing two people mention him. 

It was only when writing this reply that I actually looked at your name and picture and realized you weren't the guy I originally quoted. Sorry about that. To quote Sherlock Holmes, "You see, but you do not observe".

Edited by vanguard333

20 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Edelgard is too expected by the FE fanbase. Edelgard’s whole “popularity” lies primarily in her axe and her physical appearance as a distant second. Byleth is the actual protagonist and Sakurai could have fun implementing the whole teacher gimmick. 

As for Erdrick. Dragon Quest III version. He’s very popular in Japan. I’d prefer 2B but Erdrick has the legacy of the DQ series behind him. 

14 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Edelgard is too expected by the FE fanbase. Edelgard’s whole “popularity” lies primarily in her axe and her physical appearance as a distant second. Byleth is the actual protagonist and Sakurai could have fun implementing the whole teacher gimmick. 

As for Erdrick. Dragon Quest III version. He’s very popular in Japan. I’d prefer 2B but Erdrick has the legacy of the DQ series behind him. 

Samurai's a Fire Emblem fan though. Remember he chose Robin over Chrom for the sake of a more interesting weapon despite Chrom being the protagonist.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Samurai's a Fire Emblem fan though. Remember he chose Robin over Chrom for the sake of a more interesting weapon despite Chrom being the protagonist.

We are still in the dark when it comes to 3 Houses so we don’t know very well what else Byleth can do besides what was shown so far. Robin was the deuteragonist and had magic tomes mixed with swordplay. 

3 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

There's nothing really that Byleth has (that we've seen so far) that isn't done by someone else already. Dragon-bone sword: Marth and all his clones. Whip-Sword: the Belmonts have a flail whip. As for the teacher gimmick, how can that be implemented in Smash? He can't exactly teach himself. Utilizing the teacher gimmick sounds more like something for an Assist Trophy.

Edelgard has axes, swords, and magic; that first one actually being something unique. And Sakurai has gone for the option that offered a more diverse moveset before, as @Jotari pointed out. 

As for Dragon Quest, I've never played III, but in that game, from what I've read, Erdrick (specifically, "Order of Erdrick") is just a title given to the player at the end of the game. 

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

As for Dragon Quest, I've never played III, but in that game, from what I've read, Erdrick (specifically, "Order of Erdrick") is just a title given to the player at the end of the game. 

It also kind of works as a name itself, given the protagonists of I and II described as being descended from Erdrick.

Just now, Dai said:

It also kind of works as a name itself, given the protagonists of I and II described as being descended from Erdrick.

Oh; okay. 

Still, if they do pick a Dragon Quest character for Smash, I doubt it will be Erdrick because that's either selecting the heroic ancestor, or not really selecting Erdrick; just a descendant that's given the name as a title. My theory is that it will be the Luminary, but I could easily be wrong. 

7 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

We are still in the dark when it comes to 3 Houses so we don’t know very well what else Byleth can do besides what was shown so far. Robin was the deuteragonist and had magic tomes mixed with swordplay. 

Sakurai's probably as equally in the dark as we are though. Unless IS are pushing for one character in particular.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Sakurai's probably as equally in the dark as we are though. Unless IS were pushing for one character in particular.

Tense in need of correction? Shouldn't all of the DLC characters been chosen already?

Unless you mean in terms of what each character actually canonically does and behaves like in any and all routes of 3H, and the lore and story of the world as a whole, are what you're referring to. That is, that Sakurai might not know whether Edelgard is able to shapeshift into the Blue Steel Dragon and use the Axe of the Clouds or whether she is more aggressive or less, or whether she is canonically weaker than X and utterly dependent on W.

It would be certainly possible that Sakurai would know less than everything here- see Melee Roy not matching final official version Binding Roy. And from what I've heard, Fire Emblem Warriors Celica and SoV Celica do not line up with each other either- at the least she doesn't have Beloved Zofia.

On the matter of Dragon Quest protags, I'd personally just go with V's. It was my first real DQ experience, V is a general favorite, and the problem of most DQ protags is they are just Swords & Shields + mostly healing magic and Kazapple (electric). V's protag canonically favors a staff, with his ultimate exclusive weapon (the Metal King Sword is slightly stronger) is the Dragon Staff. Using a staff/pole to attack with is more unique than a sword in Smash, and while he lacks for Zap magic, he still has the Woosh (wind) line. The Dragon Staff can also be used to cast Puff!, which turns him temporarily into a clawing and fire breathing dragon.

I would like Elma as a personal aside. But I gave up on her chances months ago. And not having watched a single clip of footage, would she be a little samey in setup to Joker? Obviously no Personae to use, but knife + pistol compared with dual swords and dual guns (and Overdrive) sounds similarly sleek. Although Elma would be closer to I think a Pit-ZZS-Bayo chimera.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On the subject of Dragon Quest, I wonder if the incoming movie may have affected anything.

Like, I don't know how far back the planning of it and stuff goes, to say they told the Smash team about it. Like, imagine if one of the DLC characters is Madason, and gets released around August, just in time for the movie's release in Japan?

I don't really think it's that plausible... it's just that at the same time I don't think it would be unplausible. At the very least, I do see them releasing a DQ rep to coincide with the movie's theatrical release.

8 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

As for the teacher gimmick, how can that be implemented in Smash? He can't exactly teach himself. Utilizing the teacher gimmick sounds more like something for an Assist Trophy.

Edelgard has axes, swords, and magic; that first one actually being something unique. And Sakurai has gone for the option that offered a more diverse moveset before, as @Jotari pointed out.

You certainly aren’t thinking hard enough. Since Dimitri, Claude and Edelgard are all lords-in-training, how about something similar to Pokemon Trainer with Byleth being in the background directing and commanding his students and only joining them for his FS? Another way of handling the teacher mechanic is to have the student lord assist him for certain attacks while he’s the main fighter. Edelgard can be the slow and close range heavy hitter while Dimitri can be the all-rounder guy and Claude becomes the quick zoner. 

9 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

You certainly aren’t thinking hard enough. Since Dimitri, Claude and Edelgard are all lords-in-training, how about something similar to Pokemon Trainer with Byleth being in the background directing and commanding his students and only joining them for his FS? Another way of handling the teacher mechanic is to have the student lord assist him for certain attacks while he’s the main fighter. Edelgard can be the slow and close range heavy hitter while Dimitri can be the all-rounder guy and Claude becomes the quick zoner. 

I was actually thinking of that. But, with both of those options, we would still both be right, as we'd technically be getting Byleth and Edelgard.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Tense in need of correction? Shouldn't all of the DLC characters been chosen already?

Unless you mean in terms of what each character actually canonically does and behaves like in any and all routes of 3H, and the lore and story of the world as a whole, are what you're referring to. That is, that Sakurai might not know whether Edelgard is able to shapeshift into the Blue Steel Dragon and use the Axe of the Clouds or whether she is more aggressive or less, or whether she is canonically weaker than X and utterly dependent on W.

It would be certainly possible that Sakurai would know less than everything here- see Melee Roy not matching final official version Binding Roy. And from what I've heard, Fire Emblem Warriors Celica and SoV Celica do not line up with each other either- at the least she doesn't have Beloved Zofia.

On the matter of Dragon Quest protags, I'd personally just go with V's. It was my first real DQ experience, V is a general favorite, and the problem of most DQ protags is they are just Swords & Shields + mostly healing magic and Kazapple (electric). V's protag canonically favors a staff, with his ultimate exclusive weapon (the Metal King Sword is slightly stronger) is the Dragon Staff. Using a staff/pole to attack with is more unique than a sword in Smash, and while he lacks for Zap magic, he still has the Woosh (wind) line. The Dragon Staff can also be used to cast Puff!, which turns him temporarily into a clawing and fire breathing dragon.

I would like Elma as a personal aside. But I gave up on her chances months ago. And not having watched a single clip of footage, would she be a little samey in setup to Joker? Obviously no Personae to use, but knife + pistol compared with dual swords and dual guns (and Overdrive) sounds similarly sleek. Although Elma would be closer to I think a Pit-ZZS-Bayo chimera.

Heroes and Warriors simultaneously creating two new brother sister blond OCs that are entirely separate characters is a better example of the lack of cross communication than Beloved Zofia. I think the warriors developers said they would have used Askr siblings had they known they existed.

On 4/19/2019 at 6:45 PM, Jotari said:

Heroes and Warriors simultaneously creating two new brother sister blond OCs that are entirely separate characters is a better example of the lack of cross communication than Beloved Zofia. I think the warriors developers said they would have used Askr siblings had they known they existed.

No actually, when Koei showed IS their original designs they were told they were “too close to” The Heroes OCs and were told to change their designs.

Here are my bets

1. Ederic Dragon Quest 

2. Master Chief

3. Jace Belerin 

4. Free Space

Knowing that we have an additional 10 dlc spots and assuming that Ultimate is a platform game I want to say Scorpion and Sub-Zero will be added together at the same date.

I also want Momiji Inubashiri to be added, but I'm never going to get that.

Hey, just a friendly reminder; we can’t go through this whole cycle expecting nothing but 3rd parties. They generate hype, for sure, but so do Nintendo characters. My main point is that Smash is still heavily a franchise focused on Nintendo characters. If you don’t get that 3rd party character you’ve always wanted, you’ll get them eventually if the planets align in your favor.

Still under the impression that remaining DLC will each get a rep from Capcom, Square, Bandai Namco and the final being one of Nintendo's own characters, probably from Pokémon or Fire Emblem. This is all assuming the missing third party Mii fighter costume come back the same time a character from that third party company gets announced. All I ask for is that they are not all RPG protagonists. Joker was good since at least he had a knife, a gun and his Persona to differentiate himself from the typical RPG sword wielding main character. To update my previous prediction I could see something like this.

• Capcom- Phoenix Wright from the Ace Attorney series. Really the only third party character left that I want to see in Smash Bros. I suppose Amaterasu from Okami is a possibility as well. Still don't see a Resident Evil character happening despite what I hear people say.
  • Bandai Namco- Nightmare from the Soul series. Warmed up to the idea of how cool it would be to have a franchise represented by its villain. Would accept him over Lloyd/Yuri from Tales of series and Heihachi from Tekken is probably still off the table. Also, would still be okay with KOS-MOS from Xenosaga to add more Xeno series stuff that isn't Xenoblade Chronicles 2 into Smash.
  • Square- Someone from Dragon Quest seems to be the obvious answer though I wonder if Square will actually get another rep considering how Final Fantasy is 'well represented' in the game. Wouldn't be surprised if instead of another Square rep we get a Microsoft or Ubisoft rep instead.
  • Ubisoft- In the event Square doesn't get a second rep (or Capcom and Bandai Namco for that matter) I could see Ubisoft getting one but instead of saying Rayman I will actually predict an Assassin Creed's rep instead, probably Ezio since I believe he is the most well known character from that franchise. I could see it happening since it seems Ubisoft is trying to push Assassin Creed on the Switch plus it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai chose a more well known tougher looking character over the kid-friendly mascot (Joker over Jack Frost for Atlas).
  • Nintendo- Could come from any of their franchises but Pokémon and Fire Emblem seem the most likely despite complaints from the more hardcore Smash fans and their delusion of equal representation amongst all franchises. But I am actually going to say it won't be a Gen 8 or Three Houses rep outside a hypothetical season two pass. For this season pass if one of these two franchises is picked the character chosen will be from an older game. For Pokémon I'm guessing Eevee or Lycanroc have good odds. I guess you can say those two are still relevant to Pokémon fans and we are suspiciously missing a stage based on the Alolan region. And for Fire Emblem I am going to actually guess a Fire Emblem Heroes character since it would be a good chance to represent Nintendo entering the mobile market and Heroes is their most successful game in that area. FEH's iteration of Anna would be a good pick for this and this is totally not me looking for an excuse to fit Anna into Smash's roster. She is the first character you meet and the first unit you obtain so everyone who tried the app out should recognize her. Plus she wield an axe in that game (and we all know how Smash fans hate seeing too many sword characters) and she was a main story character using axes for at least a year being Edelgard made it cool.

So the remaining DLC picks being Phoenix Wright (Capcom), Nightmare (Namco), Ezio (Ubisoft) and Eevee/Anna (Nintendo) would definitely make me want to buy the remaining DLC packs but I am honestly expecting the remaining picks to be characters I don't care about. Getting Joker already made me more than satisfied so the rest can be whoever and I wouldn't mind that much since nothing requires me to get them.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:55 AM, Etheus said:

And the whole "Smash always picks main characters" thing-- with Byleth getting billed over the other 3.

Anyways, my predictions are gonna be... unorthodox: basically I'm just gonna crap out a bunch of characters and say they're my educated guesses that should cover most of the spectrum:

>Capcom: Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine
>Namco: Yuri Lowell, Heihachi/Jin, GE3 protag/A.G.E
>SE: It's Erdrick and this isn't even speculation at this point
>Nintendo: Byleth, 8th Gen Pokemon
>Platinum Games: Astral Chain protagonist (the game itself is being published by Nintendo so I could see either them or Byleth as the 3rd DLC character)
>Microsoft: Steve
>Ubisoft: Ezio Auditore/Assassin's Creed representation in general
>Bethesda: Doom Slayer

On 4/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, Perkilator said:

Hey, just a friendly reminder; we can’t go through this whole cycle expecting nothing but 3rd parties. They generate hype, for sure, but so do Nintendo characters. My main point is that Smash is still heavily a franchise focused on Nintendo characters. If you don’t get that 3rd party character you’ve always wanted, you’ll get them eventually if the planets align in your favor.

Not as much as 3rd parties.

Smash 4's DLC newcomers should serve as a guideline-- unless a 1st party character can cross-promote they're BTFO'd. Heck, they screwed K. Rool and planned to insert Bayonetta as the "Ballot winner" from the very start.

Characters I really want to see:

- Dante (Devil May Cry)

- Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed)

- Yuri Lowell (Tales)

- 2B (NieR Automata)

- Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)

- Spyro (Spyro)

- Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

- Doom Slayer (Doom)

- Leon (Resident Evil)

- Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

- Edelgard, Claude, and Dmitri as a single character (Fire Emblem)

Characters I really do not want to see:

- Steve (Minecraft)

- Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

- Heihachi (Tekken)

- Celica (Fire Emblem)