1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

On 2019-04-24 at 10:46 AM, The DanMan said:

And the whole "Smash always picks main characters" thing-- with Byleth getting billed over the other 3.

I'd agree except for the fact that the bulk of the advertising has placed emphasis on Edelgard. I haven't done the math, but I'm willing to bet that she has been present on-screen in both trailers (when put together) than Byleth. One might say that the same could've been said about Azura, but that's because Corrin's almost never in the actual cutscenes in the game. That's not the case with Byleth. 

Plus, people are sick and tired of FE sword users, and there's no way that Nintendo doesn't know that. 

On 2019-04-24 at 10:46 AM, The DanMan said:

>SE: It's Erdrick and this isn't even speculation at this point

It is still speculation until there's confirmation. Just because there's overwhelming evidence to support that there's going to be a Dragon Quest character in Smash Bros., it still is neither confirmed nor guaranteed, and even if it were, we do not know who it is, so it's still speculation. 

As for Erdrick, I've already pointed out how that makes no sense. That's like saying, "It's going to be the cap-less Link from the prologue of Minish Cap" or "It's going to be Anri' or, "It's going to be The Knights of Hyrule that sealed away Ganon in the Imprisoning War before A Link to the Past". Erdrick has always been either a heroic ancestor or a title given to the hero at the end, not the hero. 

Meanwhile, for just one example, the Luminary is the hero in 11. He also has a variety of moves that would set him apart from other Smash characters, he's well-known to Japanese and Western audiences alike, and you already said earlier: "Smash always picks the main characters", so by your own logic, Luminary is more likely than Erdrick. 

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

It is still speculation until there's confirmation. Just because there's overwhelming evidence to support that there's going to be a Dragon Quest character in Smash Bros., it still is neither confirmed nor guaranteed, and even if it were, we do not know who it is, so it's still speculation. 

As for Erdrick, I've already pointed out how that makes no sense. That's like saying, "It's going to be the cap-less Link from the prologue of Minish Cap" or "It's going to be Anri' or, "It's going to be The Knights of Hyrule that sealed away Ganon in the Imprisoning War before A Link to the Past". Erdrick has always been either a heroic ancestor or a title given to the hero at the end, not the hero. 

Meanwhile, for just one example, the Luminary is the hero in 11. He also has a variety of moves that would set him apart from other Smash characters, he's well-known to Japanese and Western audiences alike, and you already said earlier: "Smash always picks the main characters", so by your own logic, Luminary is more likely than Erdrick. 

You're right-- Erdrick is a title, not a proper name.

Given both to the DQIII protag and the Luminary.

With a similar skillset and title, I don't see why they can't be two costumes for the same character in Smash.

13 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'd agree except for the fact that the bulk of the advertising has placed emphasis on Edelgard. I haven't done the math, but I'm willing to bet that she has been present on-screen in both trailers (when put together) than Byleth. One might say that the same could've been said about Azura, but that's because Corrin's almost never in the actual cutscenes in the game. That's not the case with Byleth. 

Plus, people are sick and tired of FE sword users, and there's no way that Nintendo doesn't know that. 

Nintendo hardly gives a damn about fan demands. Many of those same people bitched about Joker's inclusion. Hell, Chrom got included in one of the few instances where fan demand actually influenced character choices.

And as Byleth is a Teacher who can use every weapon in the game, I don't see why they couldn't make them a weapon master. Maybe have a move or two similar to Duck Hunt's down special and summon a generic unit to attack as well. There's plenty of ways that the Smash dev team could make them unique.

Edited by The DanMan

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

You're right-- Erdrick is a title, not a proper name.

Thanks. To be honest, I knew next to nothing about Dragon Quest, so when people started mentioning Erdrick, I quickly did some research to see what kind of character Erdrick is, only to find that it's always an ancestor or a title, and that just left me confused.

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Nintendo hardly gives a damn about fan demands. Many of those same people bitched about Joker's inclusion. Hell, Chrom got included in one of the few instances where fan demand actually influenced character choices.

And as Byleth is a Teacher who can use every weapon in the game, I don't see why they couldn't make them a weapon master. Maybe have a move or two similar to Duck Hunt's down special and summon a generic unit to attack as well. There's plenty of ways that the Smash dev team could make them unique.

I'm going to tackle this point-by-point. 

• I wouldn't say Nintendo doesn't care about fan demands; the evidence I've seen would indicate that they semi-care; they like hearing input, but will ignore it if they're not interested in what they're hearing, or they'll sometimes misunderstand fan demand. 
  • I don't recall a single negative statement about Joker's inclusion. I'm not saying there wasn't, but I don't remember seeing any. Most of what I saw was very positive.
  • Don't remind me about Chrom. In all seriousness, I agree with you on that one; that was a poor decision. About half of what I saw was very positive (I don't know why), and the other half was people disliking the inclusion but being relieved that he wasn't another Marth Echo, which I also don't understand, as being a Roy Echo isn't much better. I don't even understand why there was any demand for Chrom; he's just another generic Marth expy. 
  • Just because he can use other weapons, doesn't mean he will. Ike can use axes in RD, but he only uses Ragnell in Smash. Chrom and Lucina can use lances, but they only use Falchion in Smash. In every case of an FE character in Smash with a unique weapon, that's the only weapon they use in Smash. Why am I mentioning this? Byleth has a unique weapon: the dragon-tail whip-sword. 
  • If, for example, Byleth was a background character like Pokémon Trainer, with the Pokémon being Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude, then that I would be fine with. I just don't want to see the obvious mascot of Three Houses be overshadowed in Smash by Byleth. 

I'm personally predicting Taranza (Kirby Triple Deluxe) as a potential fighter because:

-He's fairly popular.

-He represents modern Kirby games.

-He'd have a very unique moveset, being a spider -mage-... thing.

-He's the only major Kirby villain, if not the only remaining major Kirby character, who isn't a fighter or a spirit. 

-He's spiffy as hell.

Other predictions I can make are Arvis (Suspicious lack of a spirit is suspicious), Steve (Microsoft has been acting kinda weird lately) the Knight (Hollow Knight)(A guy can dream), and Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) (See last reason). 

On 27/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, vanguard333 said:

Thanks. To be honest, I knew next to nothing about Dragon Quest, so when people started mentioning Erdrick, I quickly did some research to see what kind of character Erdrick is, only to find that it's always an ancestor or a title, and that just left me confused.

Keep in mind that Erdrick is the protagonist of a Dragon Quest game, so that is more than just being a famous ancestor. The fact that the name was a title mattered little since for more than thirty years the protagonist was the only one referred to as such. Just because the protagonist of DQ XI was also given the title doesn't diminish the fact that for thirty-one years, III's protagonist was the one and only Erdrick. Since XI's hero is known for longer as the Luminary, it's likely people would still use Erdrick to refer to III's protagonist for the forseeable future. Again, you don't throw away thirty years of the title being exclusive to a single person.

---

Anyway, I don't think I've given a full list as to which four I think will be next. Well, I don't particularly have anyone to guess for. Just Erdrick and someone from Three Houses (Smash 4 already set a precedent there I'd think of it as a safe bet). Don't really have definite guesses for two more.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

59 minutes ago, GreatKnightEcho said:

I'm personally predicting Taranza (Kirby Triple Deluxe) as a potential fighter because:

-He's fairly popular.

-He represents modern Kirby games.

-He'd have a very unique moveset, being a spider -mage-... thing.

-He's the only major Kirby villain, if not the only remaining major Kirby character, who isn't a fighter or a spirit. 

-He's spiffy as hell.

Other predictions I can make are Arvis (Suspicious lack of a spirit is suspicious), Steve (Microsoft has been acting kinda weird lately) the Knight (Hollow Knight)(A guy can dream), and Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) (See last reason). 

I’d sooner think Magolor or Bandana Dee.

Arvis is a stretch (he could appear in the future, who knows)

Steve or Banjo & Kazooie are my personal likely Microsoft reps.

For the Knight and Hat Kid... yeah I have a pipe dream character, too (Reimu from Touhou). All three games seem to be in a similar situation (all being featured on Switch), just that Touhou has a huge legacy behind it. And hey, if Joker can get into Smash (Alpharad’s former pipe dream), then there is reason for any of these three.

4 minutes ago, GreatKnightEcho said:

Yeah. Only reason I picked Taranza is that those two are both spirits.

Just because they are a spirit does not mean they’re out. There’s no real precedent yet.

As for me, I know jack, but I do think there might be a Namco rep, Steve/Banjo&Kazooie, possibly Bandana Dee, and finally the last two would be other major third parties or unrepped Nintendo series.

I want the first third parties (Sega, Konami, Namco, and Squeenix) to be perfectly balanced in the roster, but the first two already threw in a wrench and Squeenix seems to not want any part in this. I also want Reimu, but that is my pipe dream character.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:14 AM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Just because they are a spirit does not mean they’re out. There’s no real precedent yet.

You're right about that, but there also aren't any fighters whose main forms are non-Fighter Spirits (There are spirits for each fighter, but they serve more as prizes for beating that character's classic mode, and don't serve any functional purpose). I personally think while a spirit doesn't outright deconfirm a fighter, it does severely hurt their chances. Plus, characters as prominent as Arvis and Taranza not having spirits is very strange, especially when characters they have very close relations to (Julius, Deirdre for Arvis, Sectonia for Taranza) have spirits. Surely Sakurai wouldn't just forget those characters, right?

Edited by GreatKnightEcho

Provided we also get more Zelda reps, I'd be fine with more Kirby reps in Smash. After playing Star Allies, virtually any of the Dream Friends seem like viable Smash reps: Waddle Dee, Rick, Gooey, Marx, Adeline & Ribbon, Daraoch, Magolor, Taranza, Suzie, or the Mage Sisters. Dark Meta Knight is technially repped as a Meta Knight skin, but I could see him as either an Echo or more preferably as a more mirror-focused tweak on Meta Knight akin to his appearance as a Dream Friend.

My prediction thus far is that DLC fighters #2 and #3 would both be revealed in Nintendo's E3 Direct and that #2 would be released the day of. Quick amendment: knowing that there's a smash bros tournament the day before the Direct, I expect that is when we will see the announcement and shadow drop of Fighter #2. I also suspect said character is not a Guest, though I couldn't guess who. #3 however my guess will be Dragon Quest guy. Since a supposed release in July would coincide with the new game arriving on Nintendo Switch.

32 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

My prediction thus far is that DLC fighters #2 and #3 would both be revealed in Nintendo's E3 Direct and that #2 would be released the day of. Quick amendment: knowing that there's a smash bros tournament the day before the Direct, I expect that is when we will see the announcement and shadow drop of Fighter #2. I also suspect said character is not a Guest, though I couldn't guess who. #3 however my guess will be Dragon Quest guy. Since a supposed release in July would coincide with the new game arriving on Nintendo Switch.

This seems reasonable, but I don't think we'll get any announcements at the tournament. Smash 4 and Ultimate's prerelease tournaments didn't have any character announcements (the former would have been a good opportunity to announce Pac-Man, but he was revealed on Twitter instead...), and I don't expect that to change now.

6 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Hey, anyone heard the Google theory? The one with Ryu Hayabusa and Banjo-Kazooie?

I have. The answer to my thoughts on it lies in your profile :P:.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't trust it. It's very interesting to see, especially that Artorias was one of the characters that had that ad whenever he was searched with Smash Ultimate DLC, but this could, like most leaks and theories, end up being nothing. 

Edited by Roland

5 hours ago, Roland said:

I have. The answer to my thoughts on it lies in your profile :P:.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't trust it. It's very interesting to see, especially that Artorias was one of the characters that had that ad whenever he was searched with Smash Ultimate DLC, but this could, like most leaks and theories, end up being nothing. 

People have already demonstrated you can post advertisements just like it for $5 apiece

19 hours ago, Roland said:

I never even bother to learn about leaks, let alone trust them. I'm only quoting this because it mentions Artorias, and I only realize now, after seeing you mention him, that he actually could be an interesting Smash fighter; the only drawback really coming to mind being that he'd have to be silent. 

27 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I never even bother to learn about leaks, let alone trust them. I'm only quoting this because it mentions Artorias, and I only realize now, after seeing you mention him, that he actually could be an interesting Smash fighter; the only drawback really coming to mind being that he'd have to be silent. 

That’s not so much a drawback, per se; plenty of characters known for being silent are silent in Smash.

34 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm personally hoping that the google theory is real. Those would be excellent picks all around.

(And I will take any leak that doesn't have Steve.)

You, sir, are my sentiments' Echo Fighter. And after looking at the OG Ninja Gaiden for NES, I now support Ryu Hayabusa for Ultimate in any form.

11 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

You, sir, are my sentiments' Echo Fighter. And after looking at the OG Ninja Gaiden for NES, I now support Ryu Hayabusa for Ultimate in any form.

Not a Ninja Gaiden fan myself. My only experience with him is in Warriors Orochi 3 (in which he was one of my favorites). But he looks cool, he'd be fun to play, and I'm sure a lot of love would be put into it. Personally hoping for his more modern design. 

I would pick Ezio over Ryu personally. But I would be completely happy with it either way.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 6:14 PM, Perkilator said:

It looks like the next DLC character is shaping up to be Banjo-Kazooie. If we get a second character at E3, who do you think it'll be?

I know Erdrick has the hype train, but I'm expecting the Luminary. 2017 games seem to be in heavy consideration (considering Joker), which puts both Luminary and 2B in heavy contention in my eyes.