1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bandana Waddle Dee has a good chance. Since Goombas without hats are eligible now, a Goomba with a hat is a shoo-in!

But that aside I'm going to take the time to talk about Rex, again. You're probably tired of it by now, but too bad. Let's review what Sakurai said during the reveal of Rex's Mii outfit:

It's a Mii Swordfighter outfit based on Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning was started. I hope this outfit will help you feel like you're playing as Rex. We're also including music from the Xenoblade Chronicles series,. . .Other Xenoblade Chronicles characters will also appear as Spirits.

Rex's outfit is specifically being offered as a bonus for buying the Fighter Pass, but why would they include him instead of any other Mii outfit? We don't know if the outfit was made for the Fighter Pass specifically or if it was made alongside the base game's Mii outfits. It's possible that it was created for the base game, and was made an addition to the Fighter Pass when Sakurai decided to make DLC. If it was made independently of the Fighter Pass, it would answer the question "Why would they bother making a Rex outfit if they were already planning on making him playable?" if it wasn't made with DLC in mind.

We don't know how exactly "we decided which fighters to include when we started planning" applies to Rex. Obviously he was too late for the base game, but was he too late for DLC planning too? That doesn't make sense unless the DLC characters were decided on alongside the base roster, which doesn't make much sense either because Sakurai doesn't think about DLC until the main game is done. We don't even know if the five DLC characters have been decided on yet. If the statement only applies to the base game, then it has nothing to do with Rex's DLC chances.

There's the idea that Rex has a Mii outfit because Sakurai isn't making him playable, but why wouldn't he? His game did well critically and commercially, he's a popular request, Sakurai likes his game, and he has the potential for a unique moveset. So why wouldn't Sakurai want to include him? 

There's also the matter of why Sakurai took the time to make this statement to begin with. The majority of other deconfirmed characters are lucky to get a passing mention, much less a segment of a Direct dedicated to them. All of the Xenoblade content mentioned here is from 2 specifically, so this whole statement reads as Sakurai apologizing for being unable to include more Xenoblade 2 content in the base game. Rex is one of the most popular requests in Japan and Sakurai is a fan of XC2, so it makes sense why Sakurai went out of way to explain the absence of content for this game in particular. It makes me think that Rex would have been in the base game if timing was more convenient.

So basically, Rex's chances depend on the answers to these questions:

• Was Rex's Mii outfit made specifically for the Fighter Pass?
  • Has Sakurai decided on the five DLC characters yet?

If the answer to these questions is no, then the Mii outfit should have no bearing on Rex's chances. If anything, this Sakurai bias rare acknowledgement should make Rex more likely as DLC, not less.

Edited by Lightchao42

5 hours ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Another Arms character not confirmed as assist/fighter costume

If they were going to do that, then why make Spring Man an Assist Trophy and Ribbon Girl a Mii costume? Those are the two most iconic of the ARMS characters and it would make sense to have either of those two playable over the rest of the ARMS cast.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

Sora's the nuclear option, and a sign of the end times.

Sora is owned by Disney, not Square.

As for my picks (which is more of a wishlist than anything):

• Impa
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Dixie Kong
  • Advance Wars rep
  • Elma

16 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Sora is owned by Disney, not Square.

I am almost certain that, unfortunately, this isn't true, given that Square has used him in Final Fantasy, while Disney has not used him for anything.

Unless the contract is that flexible.

Edit: Never mind.

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I am almost certain that, unfortunately, this isn't true, given that Square has used him in Final Fantasy, while Disney has not used him for anything.

Unless the contract is that flexible.

Disney does own Sora, but they'll let Square do whatever they want with him as long as they get permission first. Wreck-It Ralph is in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and I'd think Disney would be more protective of him than Sora, so I don't think Sora being in Smash is too much of a long shot.

So who do I think, well

Rex/Pyra and or Mythra, Sakurai including the costume and saying he wishes he would be in the game has me hoping they are dlc

Banjo and Kazooie: So while the grinch leak may have been fake, perhaps this is still possible, since while not confirmed, there was one youtuber who had a source he trusted who had a source they trusted that worked at microsoft and said banjo was in.

Sora: Honestly I doubt Geno will get in anymore and that basically leaves Sora as the next square enix rep.

Maybe Hades or another Kid Icarus character, while busy with smash Sakurai could maybe maybe very unlikely be overseeing a new kid icarus game, at least possibly now that the most of the work is done for smash ultimate

Bandana Waddle Dee: Piranha plant getting in proves one thing, grunt like characters can get in smash, and this would be the perfect way to add a new Kirby rep because Sakurai bias.

Now who do I want, well

Rex and Pyra/Mythra, obviously since I'm a xenoblade 2 fan.

Elma: To represent Xenoblade X and maybe X2 if they ever do that

KOS-MOS: While from Xenosaga, her appearance in XC2 and potential something may be happening with her series still has me hopeful despite how unlikely it is for her

Impa or Lana: Basically a new Zelda rep. Either could work if they go with Hyrule Warriors designs, Lana I think would be more unique but Impa is the next most reoccurring character in the Zelda series after the main trio.

I'll go with more of a wildcard and say Yu Narukami from Persona 4. Since we know Tsubasa from TMS is in smash as a spirit that does bring the chance of Atlus allowing another character with Sega's permission, and Yu is decently popular within the persona fandom and has been in 3 games on nintendo consoles, one of which a fighting game. This is like another Bayonetta situation where some things about Yu made need to be changed but I still feel like maybe he'd fit.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

Disney does own Sora, but they'll let Square do whatever they want with him as long as they get permission first. Wreck-It Ralph is in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and I'd think Disney would be more protective of him than Sora, so I don't think Sora being in Smash is too much of a long shot.

Huh. Well I'll be.

Well then. That's somewhat of a relief. To me, that makes it more unlikely that Sora'd show up over a number of Square characters, unless Disney forced them to pick him as a representative.

1. Jack Frost from Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei series though I could see them pulling a Cloud and put a popular Persona protagonist like Yu Narukami in.
  2. Fire Emblem rep. Prefer Anna though Lords like Edelgard, Celica and Hector are more likely.
  3. Another Square Enix rep. Would like Terra Branford from FFVI though a non-FF character is probably more likely.
  4. Phoenix Wright, if anyone third party company is getting three separate franchises in Smash it would be Capcom.
  5. KOS-MOS I guess? I would prefer her over Elma and Rex personally.

A sixth pick that is very unlikely to happen is another Pokémon rep. Considering their track record it would most likely be from gen 8 though I prefer Sceptile and Eevee.

The fact that these characters are getting stages could really help narrow things down. These will likely be from the same franchise as that character and may be selected in part to help round out franchises that don't have a large quantity of maps.

My predictions:

1. Edelgard - A Three Houses map

2. Mythra - Gormott Province or Leftherian Archipelago

3. Crash Bandicoot - Snow Go or Dino Might

4. Heihachi - no idea which map would be chosen, as I'm not a Tekken fan at all

5. Sora - Traverse Town or Hollow Bastion

1. A new Mother rep. Likely Porky or Ninten. (I'd prefer Gigue or Masked man myself)

2. A Three Houses rep or possibly a Heroes OC (I'd imagine Anna would have a chance as well)

3. Goomba

4. Musashi from Sushi Strikers

5. Anyone from the Grinch Leak who hasn't already been deconfirmed

The only character I feel comfortable predicting is Edelgard. Despite what the Internet may tell you I highly doubt that the vast majority of people care about "over-representation" nonsense. Pirhana Plant means I don't know what to expect from Smash revelas any more.

In terms of my personal wishlist for the other 4: Isaac, Joker (P5), Alucard and Decidueye. 

57 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

A sixth pick that is very unlikely to happen is another Pokémon rep. Considering their track record it would most likely be from gen 8 though I prefer Sceptile and Eevee.

Huh; and I was beginning to think my brother and I were the only ones that wanted Sceptile in Smash. 

Isn't Eevee already in as an assist trophy?

1 minute ago, Alistair said:

In terms of my personal wishlist for the other 4: Isaac, Joker (P5), Alucard and Decidueye. 

Alucard is already in Smash Bros Ultimate as an assist trophy. 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Alucard is already in Smash Bros Ultimate as an assist trophy. 

So is Isaac. Assist Trophies have been promoted to playable, at least in the case of Mewtwo. Even then, it's just a personal wishlist, so I don't necessarily expect any of them to get in to begin with.

1 minute ago, Alistair said:

So is Isaac. Assist Trophies have been promoted to playable, at least in the case of Mewtwo. Even then, it's just a personal wishlist, so I don't necessarily expect any of them to get in to begin with.

Okay. But wait; when was Mewtwo an assist trophy? It first appeared as a playable fighter in Melee, and assist trophies didn't appear until Brawl, and Mewtwo wasn't an assist trophy in that game or any smash game. 

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Okay. But wait; when was Mewtwo an assist trophy? It first appeared as a playable fighter in Melee, and assist trophies didn't appear until Brawl, and Mewtwo wasn't an assist trophy in that game or any smash game. 

Okay, fair, I misremebered: it was a collectible trophy not an AT. Still, it held that status in 4 before its DLC was announced. 

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Huh; and I was beginning to think my brother and I were the only ones that wanted Sceptile in Smash. 

Isn't Eevee already in as an assist trophy?

I have been wanting Sceptile in Smash since the Smash 4 ballot but sadly the most he has gotten was being playable in Pokken. As for Eevee I feel like Pokémon characters can easily be both pokeball assists and playable characters since more than one exist within their universe outside legendaries. I would say the same thing for mook enemies in other franchises like Hammer Bro and Piranha Plant from the Mario series for example. Hammer Bro is currently an assist but if the smash devs wanted him to be playable for whatever they could keep the assist trophy and still make a playable version of him and just say it is a different Hammer Bro. Same for Piranha Plant, he is playable but they could have made it an assist character as well and no would question it since multiple Piranha Plants exists. It doesn't work for characters like Lyn, Isaac and Shadow since only one version of those characters exist in their universe.

1 minute ago, NSSKG151 said:

I have been wanting Sceptile in Smash since the Smash 4 ballot but sadly the most he has gotten was being playable in Pokken. As for Eevee I feel like Pokémon characters can easily be both pokeball assists and playable characters since more than one exist within their universe outside legendaries. I would say the same thing for mook enemies in other franchises like Hammer Bro and Piranha Plant from the Mario series for example. Hammer Bro is currently an assist but if the smash devs wanted him to be playable for whatever they could keep the assist trophy and still make a playable version of him and just say it is a different Hammer Bro. Same for Piranha Plant, he is playable but they could have made it an assist character as well and no would question it since multiple Piranha Plants exists. It doesn't work for characters like Lyn, Isaac and Shadow since only one version of those characters exist in their universe.

Regarding Sceptile, so did my brother and I.

True, true. Funny enough, by that logic, they can have Piranha Plant as both a fighter and an item; imagine the Piranha Plant carrying around another Piranha Plant in a pot. That would be hilarious. 

5 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

Meme roster

1. Waluigi

2. Goomba

3. Black Shadow

4. Dorcas

5. Jesus Christ

Hey, Jesus Christ actually appears in Xenosaga Episode III. Xenosaga is a Namco game. Therefore, Jesus Christ is a Namco character, therefore, he is a video game character, therefore, he actually has a legitimate chance at Smash.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

There's also the matter of why Sakurai took the time to make this statement to begin with. The majority of other deconfirmed characters are lucky to get a passing mention, much less a segment of a Direct dedicated to them.

Damn it, stop giving me hope

No, but you do bring up a legitimate point. Sure, you can write it off as "Rex is too recent, this is why Sakurai explained why he wasn't in the game) however, Spring-Man just passed by and you can argue he's as recent as Rex.

Personally, i'm going to hold on to a tiny bit of hope that Rex can still make it in as DLC. Interesting thing to note is that they said the DLC will run up to February 2020. This may or may not be the case but it's possible that they decided how many fighters they want but not who they want. And considering a good chunk of the competition got Thanos'd during the Assist Trophy section, Rex's chances are maybe pretty good. Of course, i can also say the same about Elma. Even though her game isn't as popular, Elma herself gained a boost in popularity after appearing in XC2 as DLC. 

Oh and of course, Spirits mean nothing, i realize that now. A character can be a Spirit and still be playable, we've seen that with Wii Fit Trainer and King K.Rool. Never mind the fact that Spirits are the replacement for Trophies and if we look back at Sm4sh, Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies before becoming playable.

____________________________________________________________________________________

As for my top 5 bets, i'll make a joke list and a realistic list

Meme list

• Sans
  • Phil Swift
  • Neptune
  • Elon Musk
  • Joseph Joestar

Realistic list

• A Xenoblade rep (either Rex or Elma)
  • A Fire Emblem rep (considering DLC is running up to 2020, Edelgard actually has a legitimate chance)
  • A Square rep (my heart says Fei but my realistic mind says a Dragon Quest character)
  • A Namco rep (KOS-MOS please)
  • Idk, maybe Dixie Kong.

3 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

Well, I wanted to be a tad original with my meme roster. Of course that is the truest of meme rosters, but instead I threw in an F-Zero rep since we literally only have one, Dorcas because this is Serenes Forest, Goomba because we already have Piranha Plant, so why not. I threw in Jesus Christ because I think that would be a hilarious move, and I kinda want to see the absurd Christian boycott that would result in.

I'd boycott that game for a dolla.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

There's the licencing costs to factor in as well. If Sakurai could only get two Final Fantasy songs from Square Enix, do you really think he's going to be able to get more songs from Kingdom Hearts?

55 minutes ago, Alistair said:

So is Isaac. Assist Trophies have been promoted to playable, at least in the case of Mewtwo.

Mewtwo has never been an Assist Trophy, it's Little Mac you're thinking of. Also, they've never been promoted from Assist Trophy to playable in the same game: Little Mac was an AT in Brawl, and promoted to playable in Smash 4.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If they were going to do that, then why make Spring Man an Assist Trophy and Ribbon Girl a Mii costume? Those are the two most iconic of the ARMS characters and it would make sense to have either of those two playable over the rest of the ARMS cast.

just because their iconic doesn't mean fan favorites like Twintelle on Minmin can't get added instead it's anyone's game and whats already shown proves that....they would've been much better than those 2 imo but oh well don't care which 5 comes *shrugs*

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

23 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

just because their iconic doesn't mean fan favorites like Twintelle on Minmin can't get added instead it's anyone's game and already shown....

Except with every other franchise represented in Smash they've added the more recognisable characters from a franchise first, and then added secondary characters later on. Spring Man is the mascot character for ARMS, not Twintelle or Min Min, so if ARMS was represented in the playable roster, they'd add him first.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

10 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Except with every other franchise represented in Smash they've added the more recognisable characters from a franchise first, and then added secondary characters later on. Spring Man is the mascot character for ARMS, not Twintelle or Min Min, so if ARMS was represented in the playable roster, they'd add him first.

Whatever makes you sleep I said what I needed to say that's it from me here.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

Wants:

1. Sora or Neku or Geno

2. Alm as a Roy semi-clone (don’t @ me)

3. Banjo & Kazooie

4. Paper Mario

5. Crash Bandicoot

6. Bandai-Namco rep

7. Ribbon Girl (R.I.P Spring Man)

8. DeMille (Spirits don’t mean jack to the roster

9. Shantae

10. Blacephalon (I’m not gonna let the dream die)

Expectations:

1. Minecraft Steve (because why not?!)

2. Geno

3. Rabid Peach

4. Another WTF rep

5. Edelgard or Byleth

6. Rex and/or Pyra (or even Elma)

7. Dixie Kong

8. Musashi from Sushi Strikers