1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

We know for certain now that there's just five more characters planned for the game. So, who do you think those five will be? Or who do you want those five to be?

Edit. Seems were getting this joker.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As shown with the last game, 3rd parties can be DLC. While I don't really have any specifics in mind, I guess at least one will be 3rd party.

DLC Pack 1 - Square Rep 

Geno, Chrono, or Sora (I'm guessing Sora)

DLC Pack 2 - Namco Rep

Heihachi or Lloyd (I want Lloyd, I'm guessing Heihachi)

DLC Pack 3 - Fire Emblem 3 Houses Rep

Edelgard

DLC Pack 4 - Platformer Rep

Banjo & Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot

DLC Pack 5 - Xenoblade Rep

XC2 rep (Mythra) or XCX rep (Elma)

Edited by Etheus

I WANT those 5 to be Crash Bandicoot, Lyn, Ephraim, Kass, and Gen 2 Pokemon Trainer with Feraligatr, Quilava, and Chikorita.

My REALISTIC expectations are 1 major 3rd-party character (Crash Bandicoot, Shantae, Heihachi, Geno, etc.), 1 Fire Emblem character (YOUNG Alm & Celica were specified as Spirits, we didn't see Hector, Three Houses is a possibility, and hey man Lyn), 1 Zelda character (they cannot seriously keep ignoring characters from that series, right?), 1 way out there totally unexpected character, and Waluigi.

My bet, in no specific order:

• Bandana Waddle Dee
  • A new FE character- probably Edelgard to cross-promote Three Houses
  • Elma
  • A new third-party character such as Banjo; I can't get more specific than that
  • Dixie Kong or another third-party

We could always get a curveball thrown our way (in a post-Piranha Plant universe, anything is possible), but those are probably five of the safest bets.

I think Heihachi is a veeeerrry safe pick. Akira is an assist trophy. You telling me Virtua Fighter gets in Smash before Tekken? C'mon. Beyond that, I have no idea. The Rex Mii outfit blindsided me. I thought he was a top tier DLC possibility, but I feel like mii outfits in THIS game are off the table. And yes I did see that Inklings are still mii outfits, but they even specified it was the newer Splatoon 2 design.

I'm stunned they're not going to do echo fighters. Up to this point, I've believed that the very idea of Echo Fighters was developed for DLC in mind. I do think all the characters they do do are going to be real winners. Part of having every previous character playable means we don't have to worry about them selling us back Roy or Pichu. The Fighter season pass is also appreciated, though I wish it saved you more money than five dollars. And the price point isn't improved compared to Smash 4 which bothers the hell out of me. 

Edited by Glennstavos

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think Heihachi is a veeeerrry safe pick. Akira is an assist trophy. You telling me Virtua Fighter gets in Smash before Tekken? C'mon. Beyond that, I have no idea. The Rex Mii outfit blindsided me. I thought he was a top tier DLC possibility, but I feel like mii outfits in THIS game are off the table. And yes I did see that Inklings are still mii outfits, but they even specified it was the newer Splatoon 2 design.

I'm stunned they're not going to do echo fighters. Up to this point, I've believed that the very idea of Echo Fighters was developed for DLC in mind. I do think all the characters they do do are going to be real winners. Part of having every previous character playable means we don't have to worry about them selling us back Roy or Pichu. The Fighter season pass is also appreciated, though I wish it saved you more money than five dollars. And the price point isn't improved compared to Smash 4 which bothers the hell out of me. 

Although I'm hoping to see more Echoes myself, I can understand why they wouldn't make them for DLC. Even if they're cheaper to produce, they probably wouldn't sell that well as a lot of less die hard players just wouldn't see them as distinct enough to be worth buying.

I'm guessing:

-Bandana Waddle Dee

-Xenoblade Rep either Elma, Pyra/Mythra

-Octoling maybe but not as an echo different weapons

-new 3rd Party rep (Square, Bandai Namco or something else like Banjo or Geno)

-Dixie Kong, Another Arms character not confirmed as assist/fighter costume, a new retro character or something

I'm not sure if we'll get another FE DLC newcomer this time around (this reasoning is NOT because I fear the impending salt from Smash and even some FE fans I could care very less for those type of people and I'm sure Sakurai feels this way too I mean look at today's final Smash direct). Three Houses doesn't really need a rep to market the game FE is big enough it'll be fine if it was it would have to come before the Spring release and if Sakurai looked into the early developments of the game maybe Alm or Celica(moreso Celica) even that's probably unlikely to me there is a future Smash they'll get in if not DLC. Again the DLC is very likely already planned out which 5 will get it. If Edelgard or Byleth get in I'd be SO happy their my favorites so far!

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

I think one of the newcomer DLC characters that might not going showing up are Mario series (not talking about Side Series) and Pokemon series since we might have enough Mario and Pokemon series. We could get one more Side Mario Series and Fire Emblem character. Also, I totally think we could only see one newcomer character that debut from a Nintendo Switch game since we don't have a single rep that debuted from a Nintendo Switch game in Ultimate.

My bets that are that one of these five will might possibly make it, but there's a few that I might need to skew it down since I did not see one of them showed up as Assist Trophies nor in the Spirirs Mode:

1. Only one Nintendo Switch debut character, my bet it could be one of the protagonists from upcoming Fire Emblem: Three Houses will be the only playable Switch character in Ultimate or it will be Alm or Celica from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  2. Mike Jones from StarTropics as the retro character in Ultimate and he will be the first character that never has his games debut in Japan will be the first fighter in the series (His first game is included in the NES Classics Edition)
  3. A secondary Namco Representative like Ryu, Bayonetta, and Simon Belmont
  4. Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Kat and Ana (since they never showed up in either of the Directs), or another Side Mario 
  5. Elma or the Avatar from Xenoblade Chronicles X (I am possibly think Elma would be most likely how she was in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC)
  6. Impa as the DLC representative for The Legend of Zelda franchise (Edit: I didn't know Skull Kid was listed as still Assist Trophies in Ultimate website)
  7. Bandana Waddle Dee
  8. Mach Rider
  9. Magnus from Kid Icarus (he haven't shown up as an Assist Trophy in Ultimate)
  10. Ninten from EarthBound Beginning

This is my thoughts that I put it down as of right now.

Edited by King Marth 64
Fixing

1. Xeno Rep, Rex with Pyra/Mithra and maybe Nia, or KOS-MOS
2. Geno or Sephiroth (We need more antagonists)
3. Dixie Kong
4. Fire emblem Rep. Edelgard?
5. Octorok, after piranha everything goes. Nevermind, Heihachi deserves a place.

Edited by Stroud

Only thing I'm really hopeful for is something from Dragon Quest.  Personal preference is the Slime since its so iconic of the series, but really anything would be good.

Other than that, I'll probably be content with w/e they put.  I've never been too stressed about what characters they decide to include or not (though the Belmonts were a pretty hype inclusion for me).

Meme roster

Spoiler

1. Waluigi

2. Goomba

3. Black Shadow

4. Dorcas

5. Jesus Christ

What'll probably actually occur

Spoiler

1. Sora or Geno. Sora would be better if KH3 was brought to the Switch, but Geno is a fan-favorite so it's a toss up.

2. Another Zelda Rep, I'm going to go with Toon Zelda/Sheik

3. Dixie Kong. Tons of people still want her, and since Isabella isn't an Echo despite being very similar to Villager she could easily be in the same case.

4. Crash or Banjo/Kazooie. This would be a toss-up, but I'm going to assume Crash since his game is actually on the Switch.

5. Waluigi. Just because Sakurai loves to fuck with us and he'd obviously save him for last.

39 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Meme roster

Hide contents

1. Waluigi

2. Goomba

3. Black Shadow

4. Dorcas

5. Jesus Christ

Weak meme roster.

Obviously would be:

Spoiler

1. Waluigi

2. Shrek

3. Goku

4. Luigi's bulge from Mario Tennis Aces

5. Tom Nook

I have no idea for the real one. I think the general gist will be something like:

1. I still fully expect Banjo to be in at some point. If they're not constrained to the "Man, we finished planning the roster 2 years ago!" thing anymore, then this might be more likely. Supposing Microsoft isn't bullshitting about wanting Banjo in the game and the friendly banter between Nintendo and M$ is more than just poking at Sony for being a party pooper.

2. Probably a Square rep. This could be a twofer with Xeno rep and they could get Fei in the game, but that's a longshot. A Final Fantasy Tactics rep of some sort like Ramza(Most recognizable pick), Marche or Luso(Two who have been on Nintendo systems), but these are also longshots. Realistically, it'd probably be Geno. I still think Erdrick from Dragon Quest ultimately makes the most sense for Smash. Sora's the nuclear option, and a sign of the end times.

3. Another medium-defining third party pick. Could crossover with the last pick with Erdrick. If not, the options here are getting limited. The last "big" genres that really aren't represented are all adult-oriented, and would be sketchy for Nintendo, as most need guns. Potentially Dante for this slot, since he could be handled similarly to Bayonetta, and Capcom seems smitten with Nintendo right now.

4. A classic Nintendo character. Dixie Kong could fit here, supposing getting Stickers don't harm a character's chance like Assists, but it could really be any prominent Kong(Funky for trolling purposes). I would have said an ARMS rep, but the two prominent ARMS characters got Assist'd and Costume'd. Now that Mach Rider is out in the open, there's a possibility here as the "out there" pick that Sakurai likes to do, but I think Piranha Plant functions as that. Could be something super obscure here.

5. A Fire Emblem rep. Because a new proper FE character hasn't been announced yet for Ultimate, and it just wouldn't be Smash without a completely new FE character. Possibly Edelgard. Possibly a prominent older character that has done well in popularity polls like Hector(Sorry Lyn. Woulda said you, but ya got Assist'd.)

Isaac and Skull Kid being Assists really kill my two most wanted picks, sadly, and two picks I would have seen as pretty realistic.

Edited by Slumber

54 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Isaac and Skull Kid being Assists really kill my two most wanted picks, sadly, and two picks I would have seen as pretty realistic.

I don't recall Skull Kid was shown either of the Directs nor in Spirits. I kinda think the Moon did took his place as the Assist Trophy. He could get his chance as a DLC character.

Edited by King Marth 64

Not guessing, but if I get any one of my top 5 wants for the game (none of whom got into the base roster), I'll be happy. Those 5 being:

• 2B
  • Anna
  • Dixie Kong
  • Shantae
  • Stylist

Frankly, the only one of the above I see standing a chance is Dixie. Edelgard would also be cool.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Weak meme roster.

Obviously would be:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, I wanted to be a tad original with my meme roster. Of course that is the truest of meme rosters, but instead I threw in an F-Zero rep since we literally only have one, Dorcas because this is Serenes Forest, Goomba because we already have Piranha Plant, so why not. I threw in Jesus Christ because I think that would be a hilarious move, and I kinda want to see the absurd Christian boycott that would result in.

Edited by DarthR0xas

1 minute ago, DarthR0xas said:

Well, I wanted to be a tad original with my meme roster. Of course that is the truest of meme rosters, but throw in an F-Zero rep since we literally only have one, Dorcas because this is Serenes Forest, Goomba because we already have Piranha Plant, so why not. I threw in Jesus Christ because I think that would be a hilarious move, and I kinda want to see the absurd Christian boycott that would result in.

Jesus would definitely have the best Final Smash...

More of a wishlist than a list of who I think will actually make it in. Above responses may or may not have influenced me.

• Crash Bandicoot
  • Son Goku
  • Jin Kazama
  • 2B
  • Raiden (MGR:Revengeance)
  • Optimus Prime
  • Guts (Post-arm cannon, pre-Berserk armour)

Not sure who else I'd really like, aside from more FE reps, obviously.