1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

Getting my two cents out on the topic of the Smash DLC being set in place, with them being specifically chosen by Nintendo, I think it likely at this point to be based on properties that are guaranteed to be recognizable and make money, and from recently released/upcoming titles.  That said, I feel the most likely characters are going to be a Xenoblade Rep; Fire Emblem Heroes or Three Houses Rep; an upcoming Pokemon Rep; and either 1) a another Nintendo Rep and Third Party Rep, or 2) 2 Recognizable Third Party Reps. 

NOTE - These are not at all characters I necessarily want, but these are characters I feel are likely with evidence to back them up.

Xenoblade is kind of a no duh choice. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold over 1.5 million, and had a prominent DLC Expansion released with Torna, and Sakurai himself loves the game.  To not include a Xenoblade Rep would be an odd choice considering that games success, and I'd be shocked if they didn't do so.  The choice would obviously be Rex, though characters like Lora or even Elma shouldn't be out of the question, should they want to promote the Xenoblade franchise as a whole.

FE is one that also spells safe choice, the series has been getting larger and more popular as time has gone on, and Heroes has made over $400 million in revenue with about 10/15 million downloads - as such, Nintendo may find it wise to add in a character like Fjorm, Veronica, or perhaps even Kiran into the game as a playable character, and I honestly find a Heroes rep the safest bet at this point.  At the same time, TH is shortly on the horizon, and developing a fighter to tie into that games release would be an effective way to promote it, with the likely choices being either Byleth or Edelgard, and FE is no stranger to having characters included to promote a new release - such as Roy's inclusion in Melee before the release of Binding Blade, and Corrin's inclusion of Fates release in Japan, but before its western release.

Pokemon has generally had a Pokemon of the newest generation included in its release - such as the case with Greninja and now Incinaroar, and with a new generation of Pokemon scheduled for next year, it would probably be smart for them to add a fighter from the title into Smash.

A possible 4th Nintendo Rep - This I'm honestly not too sure on, since really it could go to any series, from Zelda, Splatoon, or even Kirby, or perhaps even Dragalia Lost to promote that title(never count anything out).  Although as I mentioned earlier, it would likely be from a recently released title, or an upcoming title.  Though if I had to pick a character, I'd say Bandana Dee, since it would be another Kirby rep, a unique fighter, and a fighter a lot of people have wanted, and Kirby had a major release recently with Star Allies.

Third Party Reps - Of course Smash would benefit from a 3rd Party Rep or 2 as DLC, but who would work.  Even though Geno is a popular choice among fans, I honestly don't think its possible at this point, as he's not recognizable enough, and he doesn't have any new major appearance coming up as far as we're away.  Realistically, Sora has a higher chance due to being more recognizable with a major release on the horizon, despite being owned by Disney, but Disney and Nintendo generally have a friendly history with one another.  Banjo-Kazooie is a HUGE maybe due to being owned by Microsoft, a direct competitor, so having another developer that's working closely with Nintendo would likely be more realistic, so I could better see either a Ubisoft or Bethesda rep as a third party choice, seeing as Nintendo has been very buddy-buddy with those two companies in particular, or another rep from a company already represented, such as Namco.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, DMan64 said:

Getting my two cents out on the topic of the Smash DLC being set in place, with them being specifically chosen by Nintendo, I think it likely at this point to be based on properties that are guaranteed to be recognizable and make money, and from recently released/upcoming titles.  That said, I feel the most likely characters are going to be a Xenoblade Rep; Fire Emblem Heroes or Three Houses Rep; an upcoming Pokemon Rep; and either 1) a another Nintendo Rep and Third Party Rep, or 2) 2 Recognizable Third Party Reps. 

NOTE - These are not at all characters I necessarily want, but these are characters I feel are likely with evidence to back them up.

Xenoblade is kind of a no duh choice. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold over 1.5 million, and had a prominent DLC Expansion released with Torna, and Sakurai himself loves the game.  To not include a Xenoblade Rep would be an odd choice considering that games success, and I'd be shocked if they didn't do so.  The choice would obviously be Rex, though characters like Lora or even Elma shouldn't be out of the question, should they want to promote the Xenoblade franchise as a whole.

FE is one that also spells safe choice, the series has been getting larger and more popular as time has gone on, and Heroes has made over $400 million in revenue with about 10/15 million downloads - as such, Nintendo may find it wise to add in a character like Fjorm, Veronica, or perhaps even Kiran into the game as a playable character, and I honestly find a Heroes rep the safest bet at this point.  At the same time, TH is shortly on the horizon, and developing a fighter to tie into that games release would be an effective way to promote it, with the likely choices being either Byleth or Edelgard, and FE is no stranger to having characters included to promote a new release - such as Roy's inclusion in Melee before the release of Binding Blade, and Corrin's inclusion of Fates release in Japan, but before its western release.

Pokemon has generally had a Pokemon of the newest generation included in its release - such as the case with Greninja and now Incinaroar, and with a new generation of Pokemon scheduled for next year, it would probably be smart for them to add a fighter from the title into Smash.

A possible 4th Nintendo Rep - This I'm honestly not too sure on, since really it could go to any series, from Zelda, Splatoon, or even Kirby, or perhaps even Dragalia Lost to promote that title(never count anything out).  Although as I mentioned earlier, it would likely be from a recently released title, or an upcoming title.  Though if I had to pick a character, I'd say Bandana Dee, since it would be another Kirby rep, a unique fighter, and a fighter a lot of people have wanted, and Kirby had a major release recently with Star Allies.

Third Party Reps - Of course Smash would benefit from a 3rd Party Rep or 2 as DLC, but who would work.  Even though Geno is a popular choice among fans, I honestly don't think its possible at this point, as he's not recognizable enough, and he doesn't have any new major appearance coming up as far as we're away.  Realistically, Sora has a higher chance due to being more recognizable with a major release on the horizon, despite being owned by Disney, but Disney and Nintendo generally have a friendly history with one another.  Banjo-Kazooie is a HUGE maybe due to being owned by Microsoft, a direct competitor, so having another developer that's working closely with Nintendo would likely be more realistic, so I could better see either a Ubisoft or Bethesda rep as a third party choice, seeing as Nintendo has been very buddy-buddy with those two companies in particular, or another rep from a company already represented, such as Namco.

Yeah I agree after that news I change my tune on whose likely now!

I am skeptical that they'd include an 8th gen Pokemon.

The release of the next generation of Pokemon is way too close to the projected final date for Smash DLC(Probably October-November 2019, to the projected date of the fifth fighter being February 2020), if these 5 characters are indeed the only 5. They have 3ish months to pick, plan, design and build a whole new fighter, which seems way too early.

Sakurai's already been given his choices. Not that I would doubt that he'd get early intel on some stuff like Pokemon to make plans ahead of time, but a whole year seems really far in advance.

Plus... as nice as a Smash bump is, Pokemon really doesn't need it. Pokemon's totally fine on its own, and the crazy amount of crossover it has with Smash is probably more to due with how well Pokemon fit into Smash. Nintendo's calling the shots, and I think if they were to promote a new title that might need a bump(Fire Emblem) or an older one that couldn't be hurt from more exposure(Xenoblade), they'd pick those over Pokemon.

Of course, I've been wrong with Smash before. Within the last week or so, even. But an 8th gen Pokemon just feels off this early.

Edited by Slumber

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

So what I've taken from this news is that every character's chances have increased as a result. That's what each fanbase thinks, anyway.

Which, of course, means no one's chances have increased.

Pretty much.

I think fans of franchises with games that are coming out within the next few months, or have released within the last year are the ones who are the most sure right now.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Did you watch the E3 trailer or the trailer that they showed in November? Because everyone agrees that the trailers that came before the Xenoblade 2 Direct (as in the E3 and September trailers) were pretty bad.

Funnily enough, Rex ISN'T supposed to look cool. There's very valid reasons as to why he looks the way he does. He's a salvager, which isn't exactly the most pleasent job. His design is the kind that values function over fashion. And this bit is more personal but i do like that they went with a more fantasy apporach to a 19th century diving suit.

The only part about his design that i don't like is the leg window, which actually is covered when he's doing actual salvaging and i would've prefered it stayed that way.

If Rex does get into Smash, one potential alt for Rex is a suit he gets later on in the game. Without context, the suit itself isn't a spoiler but it's a cooler version of his normal outfit (although Smash doesn't seem to care for Xenoblade spoilers).

Reveal hidden contents

57aUZ4o.jpg

At any rate, Xenoblade 2 only has two actually bad designs and both of them are from optional Blades that you can possibly go through the whole game without seeing any of them.

I watched them both, and they were both off-putting.

There's no way for me to ignore that nearly all of the outfits in the game (from what I've seen) are total garbage, and most of the characters look terrible (from those I've seen, only Malos look well designed). It's not even about looking cool, per se; the entire aesthetic screams that poor attempt for an avant garde look that is all too common in anime designs, coupled with absurd things like infantalized faces, gigantic boobs, and heavily playing up the waifu angle in its presentation of most female characters. It's inconsistent at best, embarrassingly offensive at worst, and a far cry from what the other two games presented.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Reposted from the main discussion thread, since it's relevant to this topic.

Hmmm... not unlike the stuff shown in the last direct, there's a lot of ways to interpret what's going on here. It does seem to me that it's about cross-promoting games/series though, so perhaps they'll be pulling a Corrin five times. Still expecting Resident Evil rep.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:33 AM, Book Bro said:

1. Sora or another SE character, but not Geno

2. Dixie Kong

3. Rex and Pyra, Pyra alone, Mythra alone, Lora and Jin, Malos, or some sort of representation for XC2 

4. Edelgard from FE Three Houses

5. Isaac, Felix, or Matthew from Golden Sun

Well, with the news from Sakurai I'm changing my predictions.

I still think a Three Houses rep and a Xenoblade 2 rep are locks. As for the others... I'm guessing 2 of the following: a gen 8 Pokemon, a Metroid Prime 4 rep, and a BOTW or next Zelda rep (as the last release in 2020 after the reveal of the next Zelda game). The last spot will be a third party, either Rayman or a Square Enix character imo.

Edited by Book Bro

I think this new news means the possibility of third parties has become much more limited. If it's the case as we understand it and Nintendo gave Sakurai the options, then they wouldn't have provided options for characters they would have to negotiate on and potentially couldn't use. I don't think third parties are off the board, but I do think they're most likely only going to come from series Nintendo already knows they have the rights to when it comes to adding characters to Smash. In other words, I expect the DLC will only expand on third party series that are already represented in some way rather than adding new ones (so probably no lightning axe beast master from Octopath Traveller).

35 minutes ago, Jotari said:

(so probably no lightning axe beast master from Octopath Traveller).

Not that I think H'aanit will get in, but they already negotiated Octopath Traveler as a Switch exclusive, so I don't think getting a character from it in Smash would be difficult.

15 minutes ago, Florete said:

Not that I think H'aanit will get in, but they already negotiated Octopath Traveler as a Switch exclusive, so I don't think getting a character from it in Smash would be difficult.

No, it probably wouldn't, but what I'm saying is that right now they haven't negotiated those rights (unless it's part of some prior contract which seems unlikely). And Nintendo would not give Sakurai an option for something they don't have certainty of using. Among the third parties that have gotten in, they've useually been specifically asked for by a developer or the community. The fact that Nintendo (seemingly) brought Sakurai a list of options means they weren't specific selections. I doubt it's a case where Nintendo give Sakurai a bunch of third party options and Sakurai said "I want these five" and Nintendo responded with "Alright, just give us some time to negotiate the rights before you start working." Just seems like an unlikely conversation to me. I thought Octopath Traveller was pretty likely just yesterday precisely because Square wouldn't be stingy with it as a Nintendo exclusive, now I have my doubts. Although the development cycle for the DLC will be pretty long (and they might even build them one at a time) so maybe Nintendo presented options that were under 100% reliable with high certainty.

Edited by Jotari

20 hours ago, Florete said:

Couldn't agree more.

Rex's design flung me straight from "on the fence" to "wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole" with Xenoblade 2. If we got Rex, another plain white boy, over Elma, a woman of color, in Smash, I'd be quite disappointed.

...I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Or cry from laughter.
Either way, not terribly surprised this thread devolved into bitching about Xenoblade 2's designs.

Also, something for people in general to keep in mind: Octopath itself has no long-term future that we can tell ; the dev team has already begun teasing a 3rd Bravely title and it's really just 2 degrees removed from Final Fantasy anyways (with Bravely Default as the link). Why is it that fans of one of these two games seemingly feel the need to bitch about the other whenever it's broached.

14 hours ago, Slumber said:

I am skeptical that they'd include an 8th gen Pokemon.

The release of the next generation of Pokemon is way too close to the projected final date for Smash DLC(Probably October-November 2019, to the projected date of the fifth fighter being February 2020), if these 5 characters are indeed the only 5. They have 3ish months to pick, plan, design and build a whole new fighter, which seems way too early.

Sakurai's already been given his choices. Not that I would doubt that he'd get early intel on some stuff like Pokemon to make plans ahead of time, but a whole year seems really far in advance.

Plus... as nice as a Smash bump is, Pokemon really doesn't need it. Pokemon's totally fine on its own, and the crazy amount of crossover it has with Smash is probably more to due with how well Pokemon fit into Smash. Nintendo's calling the shots, and I think if they were to promote a new title that might need a bump(Fire Emblem) or an older one that couldn't be hurt from more exposure(Xenoblade), they'd pick those over Pokemon.

Of course, I've been wrong with Smash before. Within the last week or so, even. But an 8th gen Pokemon just feels off this early.

Gamefreak had Gen VI designs ready in mid-2012, with Sakurai choosing Greninja; they likely had designs ready last summer. Ultimate started development in spring 2016, and since we have Incineroar right now... yeah, I'd say your point doesn't make much logical sense. Gen VIII will be a late 2019 release and we know Gamefreak has Pokemon designs ready well over a year in advance. 

And Pokemon is the biggest media franchise in existence, after all; it would pretty much be the safest and most guaranteed seller they could include.

17 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Reposted from the main discussion thread, since it's relevant to this topic.

To me, the fact the DLC roster was only now fully decided points to it not entirely being 3rd party characters-- since 3rd parties require a lot of negotiating and would probably be decided well in advance (helped out by the fact that all the legitimately rumored DLC characters have been 3rd party and dating from the summer at that). I do think it's going to be a 3/2 3rd/1st party split based on what we've heard so far, and for those two a Gen VIII Pokemon and FE:3H character most fit the bill at this point in time.

41 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

...I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Or cry from laughter.
Either way, not terribly surprised this thread devolved into bitching about Xenoblade 2's designs.

What's wrong with that? Applies to the thread, especially when it would seem that any new Xenoblade rep pretty much comes down to a woman of color with a unique yet inspired design, or a generic ass RPG hero baby boy who dresses like shit. 

35 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Pokemon is the biggest media franchise in existence, after all; it would pretty much be the safest and most guaranteed seller they could include.

While that does make sense and Pokemon getting another character is one of the more probable outcomes, I suspect that from Nintendo's perspective, Smash characters should do 3 things:

• Get people interested in/buying the base game (and a Switch if they don't have one)--  there are people who do end up getting games just because of specific content. 3rd party characters in particular can have a strong effect in this regard. This is probably the number one priority, since buying a Switch leads to a person buying other games, etc
  • Get people buy the DLC-- I imagine very few people consciously skip out over them, but there are surely players who buy the base game, lose interest in it after a while, and then don't hear/care about the DLC content and end up not getting it
  • Get people interested in/buying games from other series, particularly if said series could use some support. Fire Emblem makes a strongest case for this being a very lucrative strategy if done right, and there are other examples, such as with Kid Icarus. Even generating interest in a dormant series could be part of this strategy-- a way to look at it is that a customer is good, a fan is better.

With that in mind, I think a new Pokemon would check off all 3 boxes, but there is a sort of opportunity cost here; does a brand new Pokemon game need that kind of support compared to a newer series, and can it draw in new players the way some 3rd party characters could? I'm sure there are marketing analysts at Nintendo who would have an answer to that, which no doubt played a role in who we'll see added.

I’ll go with these:

- Lana or Linkle (Hyrule Warriors) - HW was ported twice and it was well received. 

- Itsuki Aoi (TMS #FE) - Localization issues aside, it’s one of the Wii U’s gems and Itsuki here would be something similar to a Stand User. Also, Tsubasa was spotted as a Spirit in Ultimate. 

- 2B, Tifa, Terra, Bartz, WoL or Sephiroth - Out of these, I’d prefer 2B and Bartz.

- Dr. Eggman - We got Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede, Ridley and K.Rool. Bring in Sonic’s counterpart. 

- KOS-MOS - If they’re bringing anything Xeno-series related, it should be KOS-MOS.  Rex and Nia are Mii Fighter costumes but only time will tell. 

Pokemon has enough representation as it is with TEN characters. Honorable mentions go to Mach Rider and Zant. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Applies to the thread, especially when it would seem that any new Xenoblade rep pretty much comes down to a woman of color with a unique yet inspired design, or a generic ass RPG hero baby boy who dresses like shit. 

I love it when people label a character as generic without actually having played the game.

Moveset-wise, both Elma and Rex would bring very unique playstyles, the former with her dual guns and swords and the latter with his Blade switch mechanic and grappling hook.

Who would i prefer, Rex because i've actually played Xenoblade 2 and while i'm familiar with Elma (especially after she was DLC in the game), i just prefer Rex as he's better written imo. He's no Fei or Shion but i even prefer him over Shulk.

Skin color is irrelevent to me.

16 hours ago, Johann said:

There's no way for me to ignore that nearly all of the outfits in the game (from what I've seen) are total garbage, and most of the characters look terrible (from those I've seen, only Malos look well designed). It's not even about looking cool, per se; the entire aesthetic screams that poor attempt for an avant garde look that is all too common in anime designs, coupled with absurd things like infantalized faces, gigantic boobs, and heavily playing up the waifu angle in its presentation of most female characters. It's inconsistent at best, embarrassingly offensive at worst, and a far cry from what the other two games presented.

I feel like you just read a Kotaku article or some dumb shit like that. I can understand not liking Rex or Pyra's designs but to say that every design is garbage just reeks of uninformed. I feel like you just saw Rex, Pyra and maybe Dahlia's designs and assumed that the whole game is like that (gigantic boobs really only applies to Dahlia anyway and no one defends her design). If you actually played the game, you would know that the whole " heavily playing up the waifu angle" is false because most of the female characters are actually pretty well written. Hell, the Goddam swimsuits in the game (as DLC) are some of the most tasteful swimsuits i've seen in any video game.

I would've been more accepting of your opinion if you actually played the game.

I feel like i'm on GameFaqs right now so i'm gonna stop and revise my DLC predictions, now that i know that Nintendo provided a list of potential DLC canidates.

Xenoblade 2 was a sleeper hit on the Switch, exceeding expectations and remaining on the Top 10 best selling first party Switch games. It had DLC that ran all the way up to September and won an award for excellence in Japan so the game was definitely on Nintendo's radar and as such, Rex is likely.

Nintendo is most definitely gonna promote Fire Emblem Three Houses so someone from that game will be playable. Everyone says it's Edelgard but it could just as easily be any of the the othres characters we know of.

The Dragalia Lost, Euden, will likely make an appearance. Nintendo partnered with Cygames recently and Dragalia Lost came out of it so...

I have a feeling we might see the Rabbids. Because Mario+Rabbids blew away minds. Though the Rabbids are still 3rd party so who knows.

Lining up with Vergeben, i think we might see Steve. Nintendo and Microsoft have been friendly and they even pushed for Switch exclusive Minecraft packs. But again, Steve is 3rd party so who knows.

59 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

KOS-MOS - If they’re bringing anything Xeno-series related, it should be KOS-MOS.

Have them use her Xenoblade 2 design and that way, you kill two birds with one stone. You get another Namco rep while also technically representing Xenoblade 2.

Edited by Armagon

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Who would i prefer, Rex because i've actually played Xenoblade 2 and while i'm familiar with Elma (especially after she was DLC in the game), i just prefer Rex as he's better written imo. He's no Fei or Shion but i even prefer him over Shulk.

Wait, what? You imply that you haven't played XCX, then say Rex is better-written. How does that work?

I really hope this was poor wording on your part considering you later state:

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I feel like i'm on GameFaqs right now

What again? You're the one with the opinion that would fit right in with GameFAQs. They primarily want Rex in Smash and are very hostile to people wanting diversity and disliking overly sexualized character designs.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

Wait, what? You imply that you haven't played XCX, then say Rex is better-written. How does that work?

I watched the whole story on YouTube, as well as the majority of the Affinity Missions (which is where a big chunk of character development comes from in X). I've read and watched several literary analysis on X. I've listend to it's music.

I've judged X on every aspect except gameplay because you can't judge gameplay by looking at it. I'll judge the gameplay when i play it.

(I have judged the world though, Planet Mira is quite possibly the best designed world in any video game imo)

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

What again? You're the one with the opinion that would fit right in with GameFAQs. They primarily want Rex in Smash and are very hostile to people wanting diversity and disliking overly sexualized character designs.

Last i checked, GameFaqs was mostly anti-XC2. Maybe that was Tumblr though, i get the two confused sometimes because they are both bottom of the barrel for any fanbase.

Also, nice way of putting words into my mouth. I'm not hostile or opposed to wanting diversity in Smash. Because i actually don't care. I'm Hispanic, you don't see me wanting Hispanic characters in Smash. There's more to a character than their skin color. Would it be cool? Sure, why not. But it's not a neccsisity.

And yes, i do agree that some Xenoblade 2 designs are dumb and oversexualized. I wish Pyra was covered up more because it doesn't really fit her personality. Dahlia's design was a mistake and Nim is just furry-bait and also a visual mess. But i don't bitch about it like mosy people who haven't played the game do.

And at the end of the day, character design hardly matters in the face of good writing.

4 hours ago, Johann said:

What's wrong with that? Applies to the thread, especially when it would seem that any new Xenoblade rep pretty much comes down to a woman of color with a unique yet inspired design, or a generic ass RPG hero baby boy who dresses like shit. 

Ah, I see we're going for max pretentiousness in here. I'd assume someone who claims to be a college teacher would display at least some calmness and tact in discussion. Rex is offensive insofar as him being generic. I'd agree he's nothing special as a character; but Elma, from what I've seen and heard, has as little/less going for her in that department.

Fun fact: you can voice a preference without being an asshole and attacking the opposing stance. I'm taking a public speaking class and my professor's stressing what has to go into a persuasive speech; you have to know the audience and calmly build up your arguments instead of going in guns blazing with subjective statements and nothing backing things up. I sincerely hope that's not a class you teach.

I'm not sure why this has to be something so big and controversial; and as far as I can tell, it's largely one way overall. I have no issues with you personally preferring Elma over Rex. What I do take issue with is the sheer vitriol on display... over potential selections for DLC characters in a videogame (and I personally believe neither have any realistic shots, though I'd be pleasantly surprised if Rex did get in-- hopefully if that is an eventuality y'all can get off your high horses).

3 hours ago, Florete said:

That's only because people began "accepting" it and some trolls got banned. The Xenoblade 2 board is basically just a troll breeding ground and as far as Smash discussion went, for months Rex was the most bitched about character on the site after Corrin; you'd get stuff of people going to the Xenoblade 2 board to stir up shit, a thread or two always near the top of the board complaining about Rex-- heck, there were at least 3 topics on the Octopath board that got the front page with people just bitching about Xenoblade 2. The complaining went even further; there was a siliconera article about Monolith Soft's earnings and how they're lower than you'd expect with 2's success because they opened an entire new subdivision and went on a hiring spree-- but the comments. Just. Bitched. About. Xenoblade 2. (And this is probably a given at this point, but: more than a few Elma supporters on smashboards vocally bitched about 2 whenever the chance presented itself and went so far as to flame people who liked it/wanted Rex).

Would I personally prefer if a few of the designs were more covering? Yes. But it's far from a dealbreaker for me; I see at as a fun game with a killer soundtrack and decent story, not an unforgivably revolting pile of crap because several female characters could be a bit more covered.

Honestly, guys... can we just freaking chill and not wax pretentious to bitch about characters we don't like? What is with Smash and bringing out nonsense like this in people.

27 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Honestly, guys... can we just freaking chill and not wax pretentious to bitch about characters we don't like? What is with Smash and bringing out nonsense like this in people.

Gamers.

i'm watching the thread ftr be good to each other

Hard to say when Nintendo — not even anyone specifically, just “Nintendo” — is calling the shots.

Hoping for Elma, Dixie, and Monster Hunter; expecting advertisements and Metal Mario.

Personally my first impression was that Nintendo decided the characters this time because they (whoever "they" are) didn't want as many third party DLC characters as the last game had, but that's just a deranged conspiracy theory most likely.

Anyway, time for predictions:

• Edelgard (as a Marth clone, but she isn't an Echo because she has a different personality)
  • Magikarp (using its Mega form from next year's Pokémon games, Let's Go! Mega Pikachu and Let's Go! Mega Eevee)
  • Tatsu (as a Xenoblade rep and to promote Nintendo's next mobile game: Nopon Clicker)
  • Base Goku (self explanatory)
  • Base Vegeta (also self explanatory)
6 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Let's just put down the Xenoblade debate by making all five DLC newcomers Xenoblade reps. Fiora, Elma, Rex, Malos, and Lora.

That way everyone is happy.

I'd be satisfied with this, but does Rex come with Pyra and Mythra and does Lora come with Jin? 

Edited by Lightchao42

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Personally my first impression was that Nintendo decided the characters this time because they (whoever "they" are) didn't like how three out of four of the last game's DLC newcomers were third party, but that's just a deranged conspiracy theory most likely.

Anyway, time for predictions:

• Edelgard (as a Marth clone, but she isn't an Echo because she has a different personality)
  • Magikarp (using its Mega form from next year's Pokémon games, Let's Go! Mega Pikachu and Let's Go! Mega Eevee)
  • Tatsu (as a Xenoblade rep and to promote Nintendo's next mobile game: Nopon Clicker)
  • Base Goku (self explanatory)
  • Base Vegeta (also self explanatory)

I'd be satisfied with this, but does Rex come with Pyra and Mythra and does Lora come with Jin? 

Yes for Rex, but Lora fights alone with her punches, kicks, and braid and calls in Jin and Haze for Final Smash. Yesno?

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Yes for Rex, but Lora fights alone with her punches, kicks, and braid and calls in Jin and Haze for Final Smash. Yesno?

That sounds good, but I think solo Jin could work on his own too.

Maybe we can even include KOS-MOS in some capacity for even more Xeno representation. She's basically in every Namco crossover already, so it wouldn't be too strange.

53 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Tatsu

I suppose if there can be a playable plant, there can be a playable potato as well.

27 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Maybe we can even include KOS-MOS in some capacity for even more Xeno representation. She's basically in every Namco crossover already, so it wouldn't be too strange.

I think T-elos would also be really good, even if she's more unlikely. A gun and axe/scythe playstyle would be interesting to see (T-elos probably has more than that but i'm like halfway through Ch.3 of Xenosaga Episode III and i haven't fought her yet so i don't know T-elos' full arsenal).

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

I love it when people label a character as generic without actually having played the game.

Moveset-wise, both Elma and Rex would bring very unique playstyles, the former with her dual guns and swords and the latter with his Blade switch mechanic and grappling hook.

Skin color is irrelevent to me.

I'm calling his aesthetic generic, yes. Compare Rex's design to these other characters:

Spoiler

1000?cb=20080225060245220px-SoraKH1design.jpg

latest?cb=201210222238134aa72c756fa980e4c1fc9bd3e2222e46.jpg

Justin_grandia_9444.jpgedac2b7148ae62fd725c91f3257d4351.png

What do we have? Young boy hero, often wearing an impractical, gaudy outfit, uses a sword, probably the chosen one and fawned over by half the female cast. These are only a few examples, but there are plenty across the years (I don't watch anime but I'm sure there's plenty to be found there). A couple of these characters, arguably, have the potential to be among our 5 DLC characters. Rex isn't very different, and even if he was absolutely unique, I still wouldn't be impressed. Maybe he's well written, but I don't have any interest in playing his game so I doubt I'll find out.

Elma, on the other hand, looks great; her outfit is practical and cool, she's armed to the teeth with whatever she can use, she doesn't seem to fawn over anybody. That she's a woman of color is a point for diversity, something Smash (all of Nintendo really) lacks among its humanoid population.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

I feel like you just read a Kotaku article or some dumb shit like that. I can understand not liking Rex or Pyra's designs but to say that every design is garbage just reeks of uninformed. I feel like you just saw Rex, Pyra and maybe Dahlia's designs and assumed that the whole game is like that (gigantic boobs really only applies to Dahlia anyway and no one defends her design). If you actually played the game, you would know that the whole " heavily playing up the waifu angle" is false because most of the female characters are actually pretty well written. Hell, the Goddam swimsuits in the game (as DLC) are some of the most tasteful swimsuits i've seen in any video game.

For what it's worth, I don't really care about getting your approval on this. There are assuredly plenty of character designs I haven't seen in the game, but I've seen the main characters and supporting cast and I'm not impressed. From the scenes and screenshots I've seen, it objectifies the female characters, which undermines a lot of better aspects of characterization or writing. I'm absolutely confident that it's a game experience I would wholly detest.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Ah, I see we're going for max pretentiousness in here. I'd assume someone who claims to be a college teacher would display at least some calmness and tact in discussion. Rex is offensive insofar as him being generic. I'd agree he's nothing special as a character; but Elma, from what I've seen and heard, has as little/less going for her in that department.

Fun fact: you can voice a preference without being an asshole and attacking the opposing stance. I'm taking a public speaking class and my professor's stressing what has to go into a persuasive speech; you have to know the audience and calmly build up your arguments instead of going in guns blazing with subjective statements and nothing backing things up. I sincerely hope that's not a class you teach.

I'm not sure why this has to be something so big and controversial; and as far as I can tell, it's largely one way overall. I have no issues with you personally preferring Elma over Rex. What I do take issue with is the sheer vitriol on display... over potential selections for DLC characters in a videogame (and I personally believe neither have any realistic shots, though I'd be pleasantly surprised if Rex did get in-- hopefully if that is an eventuality y'all can get off your high horses).

If you actually have no issues with me preferring Elma over Rex, then you can just say you disagree, maybe try to change my mind, but ultimately move on. Instead, you call me a pretentious, tactless asshole, which is one of the most ironic things I've seen in a while. You've got a real problem with taking offense when none is given and I'm going to start reporting you if you're going to keep antagonizing me in every fucking Smash thread.