Recently started this game and it's fun but I have some questions

The menus, the characters, the dialogues, everything is awesome in this! Maybe except for the dub since I'm not accustomed to japanese "ehhhhh" and girls squeeling. (I've been spoiled by Latin American dubs so much that I feel a little uncomfortable when anime girls start going nervous and start to moan a lot). It's completely normal to feel this way? xD

I'm curious at the character choices for the mirages, specially questioning why is Chrom with Caeda but not Marth, being the face of the series and Caeda's HUSBAND. I would guess that is because of the popularity of Awakening... Even Dolph and "5 points boi" are there, but there are not playable, I think.

Also, this could be an introductory point for someone who never ever actually played a Shin Megami Tensei game before?

20 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I feel a little uncomfortable when anime girls start going nervous and start to moan a lot). It's completely normal to feel this way?

For most normal people, yep. No need to worry. Hell, I watch a metric Dorcas-ton of anime and I think it gets egregious at points.

21 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I'm curious at the character choices for the mirages, specially questioning why is Chrom with Caeda but not Marth, being the face of the series and Caeda's HUSBAND. I would guess that is because of the popularity of Awakening... Even Dolph and "5 points boi" are there, but there are not playable, I think.

Well, it isn't Marth because spoilers, which I'm not going to get into. By Dolph do you mean the armor knight Douga? I swear, FE1 characters have like 15 million different names. If you don't mean Douga, then my bad. Anyways, the playable mirages are as follows.

Chrom, Caeda, Cain, Virion, Tharja, Armor Knight Dude who had a ton of different names, and spoilers (although he's on the box if I'm not wrong, or at least his mirage master is).

You encounter plenty of others, of course. There's a boss fight with Bord and Cord, which was a reference that I didn't get until I played FE11. Able makes a prominant appearance in a sidequest, and that quest in particular contains a few Ike references which were hilarious. I'll let you find the rest of them for yourself.

7 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:
32 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Well, it isn't Marth because spoilers, which I'm not going to get into.

I think this is somewhat remedied by the fact that Itsuki's Carnage Form bears a striking resemblance to Marth (even Marth's bridegroom outfit in FEW reminded me of it). In fact, when I first saw it in the debut trailer (of actual TMS, not the "SMT X FE" teaser) I thought it actually was Marth.

2 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

(I've been spoiled by Latin American dubs so much that I feel a little uncomfortable when anime girls start going nervous and start to moan a lot). It's completely normal to feel this way? xD

¿Pues doblajes de que veías?

2 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

By Dolph do you mean the armor knight Douga? I swear, FE1 characters have like 15 million different names. If you don't mean Douga, then my bad. Anyways, the playable mirages are as follows.

Chrom, Caeda, Cain, Virion, Tharja, Armor Knight Dude who had a ton of different names, and spoilers (although he's on the box if I'm not wrong, or at least his mirage master is).

Not quite tons of different names... but yes, that one is Draug.

Though now come to think of it...

2 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Even Dolph and "5 points boi" are there, but there are not playable, I think.

Do you really mean Dolph here? Because... well, it'd be kinda spoilers to say, but personally I doubt that if you're only recently starting, that you'd know if someone like Dolph is or not in the game. Unless it's something you spoiled for yourelf already. Who is "5 points boi"?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Who is "5 points boi"?

This is a reference to the cringy English translation of the Fire Emblem OVA with "5 Points" being one of Gordin's many meme-able lines, although Gordin isn't in TMS #FE, 1% Critical Hit may have mistaken Virion for Gordin.

3 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Also, this could be an introductory point for someone who never ever actually played a Shin Megami Tensei game before?

Well....Maybe? SMT games tend to have darker themes than this joyful anime infused romp, although the idea of exploiting enemy weak points, and the trappings of JRPGs in general might. Its hard to say in part due to how many spin-off/sub series of Megami Tensei are commonly considered part of the Shin Megami Tensei series like the Persona series, the Devil Summoner series, the Last Bible series, the Shin Megami Tenshi series etc. Honestly if you find the JRPG elements enjoyable you might want to give this/these series a try.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
fixing minor typo

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is a reference to the cringy English translation of the Fire Emblem OVA with "5 Points" being one of Gordin's many meme-able lines, although Gordin isn't in TMS #FE, 1% Critical Hit may have mistaken Virion for Gordin.

Ah, I see. Well actually... it would be spoilers to say if you're wrong or right. Which is why I asked if he really meant Dolph.

I could put it in a spoiler tab if needed, but I'd rather wait for him to respond first.

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

¿Pues doblajes de que veías?

Los que yo recuerdo no tenían muchachas nerviosas a cada rato, pero mi memoria es fragil así que puede que sea solo poca costumbre.

I don't mind Spoilerinos at all! When I watch or play something I can enjoy it even if they told me how it ended. In fact, I was told some parts of this game by a friend and that made me want to play it. So, yeah c:

I was refering to Dolph, the armored guy with a twin brother, not Draug/Doga. And I'm sure she told me that Gordin was like a boss or something...

10 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

I think this is somewhat remedied by the fact that Itsuki's Carnage Form bears a striking resemblance to Marth

It definitely resembles Mar-Mar :o

11 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

You've be better off playing SMT 4: Apocalypse or Persona 5 for a true introduction to the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Edited by Wraith

1 hour ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Los que yo recuerdo no tenían muchachas nerviosas a cada rato, pero mi memoria es fragil así que puede que sea solo poca costumbre.

I don't mind Spoilerinos at all! When I watch or play something I can enjoy it even if they told me how it ended. In fact, I was told some parts of this game by a friend and that made me want to play it. So, yeah c:

I was refering to Dolph, the armored guy with a twin brother, not Draug/Doga. And I'm sure she told me that Gordin was like a boss or something...

Ah, a like-minded individual.

Okay, I see. Then yeah, they do show up. Though if you're just starting, then you won't see them for quite a while.

12 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Oh you are right, I forgot about that, they both are part of a late game boss fight with other named unit. Sorry for adding to the confusion

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, I see. Then yeah, they do show up. Though if you're just starting, then you won't see them for quite a while.

40 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oh you are right, I forgot about that, they both are part of a late game boss fight with other named unit. Sorry for adding to the confusion

It's alrighty!
And she told me exactly that he was a sort of late game boss :o

I'll answer the SMT part. . .the answer is "absolutely not".  SMT is a lot darker, and I still get weirded out by some of the themes.  TMS is a lot more light-hearted, though there is one portion that's creepy if you understand Japanese.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, 1% Critical Hit said:

Yes and no? The difficulty of TMS is definitely a good primer for SMT games' general difficulty but SMT's tone is drastically darker and more bleak.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:31 AM, 1% Critical Hit said:

In one short sentence... How dark are SMT games? Its theme is death and gore and edgy stuff? :o

The SMT games are very dark and disturbing. In many of the games you kill God (as in the Jeudo-Christian God) to try and save humanity from his yoke. Spoiler Warning: It doesn’t work. 

Listen to the music and you’ll get a good understanding of the atmosphere of the first 2 SMT games.

Edited by Wraith

On 11/5/2018 at 2:18 PM, 1% Critical Hit said:

Not so much SMT as more Persona. I feel that TMSFE is more a Persona x FE crossover; in fact, I actually got into Persona because of TMSFE. I would recommend you go and play Persona 4 as the next step, as it's only slightly darker than TMS and still very idealistic in story. Here's an intro clip:

And then, once you did Persona 4, try Persona 3 and/or 5, which would be darker still, but still ultimately idealistic. As for me personally, I'm planning to play Devil Survivor (a spin-off of SMT) after I finish my current run of Persona 3 Portable (Minako/Hamuko is best waifu <3) as the next step.

Edited by henrymidfields

1. SMT is dark. There's a ton of demons and angels.
  2. Persona isn't SMT, it's a spinoff, like Tactics is to FINAL FANTASY. It's an important distinction to make, albeit Persona being more popular in the west than SMT.
  3. Some SMT's have you straight up kill God. 

The games are choice heavy. Certain dialogue choices sway how the world to seeing you in a different way. Go all "God is great" and you become more LAWful. Go "strong eat eat" and you go CHAOS. The choices dictate what ending you get. The points are...invisible. No way to check. In IV, for instance, the alignments go from + to - 100. Neutral is...8 to - 8. I got that first time without even knowing.

One ending has you kill the big angels, another has you off the big demons and the neutral route has you going "screw you two" and axing both so humans are able to live in peace.

Choice is a big question asked in each SMT. Do I kill this demon, despite being my mom? Yes? Gain LAW points. It's a philosophy thing. Do we have freedom? Or are we controlled by something bigger? I'd say more but playing is the only way to find out. Watching isn't the same as playing. The series will end you. A lot. As in low level enemies have instakill abilities. But those are fun. You literally have to earn your victory. But mess up, like miss, and you die. Regardless of your HP max.

I love it. I really love it. Oh, and unless you're playing SMT IV, if your MC dies, it's automatic game over. Which means you lost 5 hours of gameplay. Even in Persona. So save often, as losing hours of progress sucks. Even in TMS#FE. Oh and bring buffs and debuffs. Don't and game over unless you're way over the levels of your foes. Still got flashbacks to Matador in Nocturne. Didn't use buffs until he killed Demi-fiend 14 times in a row. I'm not even exaggerating or kiddin' about the IMPORTANCE of buffs in SMT, Persona and TMS.

Edited by CapnStix

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, henrymidfields said:

Not so much SMT as more Persona. I feel that TMSFE is more a Persona x FE crossover; in fact, I actually got into Persona because of TMSFE. I would recommend you go and play Persona 4 as the next step, as it's only slightly darker than TMS and still very idealistic in story. Here's an intro clip:

And then, once you did Persona 4, try Persona 3 and/or 5, which would be darker still, but still ultimately idealistic. As for me personally, I'm planning to play Devil Survivor (a spin-off of SMT) after I finish my current run of Persona 3 Portable (Minako/Hamuko is best waifu <3) as the next step.

I'm going to mention. If you play Persona 4, emulate it. You don't want to do a dungeon without save states as an option. Not for cheesing the game, mind you, but those dungeons can be quite a large for one play session, particularly if you have a busy life that doesn't allow you to play a game for long sessions. Persona 5's save rooms are definitely an improvement, so you shouldn't worry about that one. 

Edited by Arcphoenix