You are the next game designer for Heroes. How would you fix current content or what new stuff you'd add?

Garlyle

You are the next game designer for Heroes. How would you fix current content or what new stuff you'd add? A few things was already on my mind, and another couple just came to me today, so I'm writing it down. I am also curious what would be your choices if you'd get the position.

Fix:

• Forging Bonds: rewards would come less often, but they would be bigger. 200 feathers at every 100 points is not exciting. Scoring multiplier would based on player activity rather than hourly fixed multipliers. Would drop the badge rewards for something more interesting.
  • Arena & Arena Assault: scoring would prefer variety instead of Emblem teams. Unit stats wouldn't matter above certain points (thanks Duel skills). AA scores would be in percentage range instead of Top X players.
  • Training Tower: increased Exp gains when using units here to make the Tower relevant again.
  • Allies menu: complete redesign to make it more user friendly.

New:

• Maps of Fire Emblem: explore the realms and finish quests to earn 3-4* heroes, sacred coins and other valuable rewards.
  • Skill Shops: limited Combat Manuals to purchase for Arena Medals or Feathers. New selection every week.
  • Weekly quests: monthly quests are fun, let's find something to do something different every week.
  • Beast units: because why not. (I feel like this might be coming soon though)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On top of my head,  I like to add more colorless units in general & finally add the firesweep ax & dagger. Rework the menu, I still have a difficult to organizing everything.

They should also add more Genealogy units in general. I'm sure I have more suggestions, I just can't think of them right now.

Although, unlike the majority, I never had that much problem with the game to begin with.

I would fix the following:

Forging Bonds: Get rid of the multipliers. It's just 2x multiplier always so people can play when they want, not when the game wants them to. Furthermore, either increase the amount/quality of rewards or make the whole thing shorter cause now even with 2x multiplier it takes ages to get this whole thing done and only the accessories are really worth it.

Arena: No unit or skill is worth more points than the others, neither do merges give bonus points. Anyone's team is worth just as much as the others. You still get a higher score when using at least one bonus unit so you're encouraged to use a different team each week, but those units don't get extra points for kills. The bonus unit list would also be one row longer so there's more chance for people to actually have trained one of the units.

Allies menu: I would also redesign this, especially to make the scrolling through units less tedious. Something as simple as filters would help a lot already (e.g. only show all sword users/cavalry units, only show users with a certain skill/weapon, etc.).

Equipping seals: This gets a redesign too, also including filters/sorting options cause the scrolling is a pain. A filter for 'fully upgraded seals' would already go a long way so you can ignore seals you never use. Also, make it possible for multiple units on different teams to carry the same seal. Skill Sets already help a lot with the continually having to equip seals over and over again, but it would be even easier if I could just put a seal on someone and don't have to re-equip it every time I use a different team that uses the same seal.

Quests: Another menu I would redesign a bit, though I would simply add labeled tabs on the side or something so it's easier to jump to a certain quest list. I think the amount of quest lists is big enough for something like this.

Summoning pool: Demote a lot of 5* exclusives, mostly the ones that have been added early in the game. Furthermore, put the oldest units in a different pool or make them available in another way (while still being able to get them with IVs), but get them out of the regular summoning pool so it becomes less big and it's less hard to get a certain unit. E.g. make a permanent focus banner in which you can only get these units.

Daily/Monthly Quests: Make these more diverse, they're literally the same every day/month and it's getting really boring.

Skills: There's way too many 5* exclusive skills going on. I would add more good skills to 3/4* units so it 1) is easier to get these skills and 2) it's less of a pain to get 3/4* units while summoning. I would also not make any skill exclusive to a seasonal unit.

Seasonal units: I would add these units to the regular pool really, and only make them a focus on a banner once a year (or also on legendary banners) so it's still hard to get them. But at least give us a chance to get them randomly too.

And I would add the following:

Beast units: These should've been added during the first year anniversary really. I mean dragons were added from the start while only very few dragons were added, and I think (not sure though) there's more beast units than dragons in the games? I guess the beasts are a tad harder cause there's different ones and dragons are all dragons but still, it must be known to them that the beasts are very popular and they're waiting way too long to add them. I assume beasts are going to be added soon though, hopefully during book 3.

Skill (book) shop: Give us a way to build units without having to summon for more units. Especially with the summoning pool becoming bigger and bigger it gets harder to even get skills like Fury, Desperation, and Vantage. The very best skills are already locked to 5* units most of the time, at least make it easier for the non-whales to get the 'basic' good skills. Would make Arena Medals the currency I think, cause having to play arena to get better skills to be able to get better at arena seems like a good deal. More rare skills could be available in exchange for orbs too, same goes for upgrading skills (e.g. Death Blow 3 > 4).

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

Weekly quests: monthly quests are fun, let's find something to do something different every week.

Agreed with this, monthly quests are done within a week and then you're just left waiting for the following. It would be more fun to have something to look forward to each week.

My Castle: Seriously, where is this? Lemme decorate my own castle and put the units I love in there and just...please? We could earn decorations just like we earn accessories, I would love this so much.

Edited by Mau

FIX:

Forging Bonds: rewards right now are so very bad, it feels like a constant, boring, grind for 4 orbs, and some accesories, out of which I don't most... multipliers would be on all the time, and they would be like 2.5x, so it would make things faster, but there would be less rewards. Maybe 1.5x feathers, but no bagdes. Also, the orb reward at the end of each character would be doubled, and there wouldn't be normal and EX version of accesories.

Training Tower: more exp for I guess, so that people wouldn't only use it for monthly quests

Arena: well, there are definitely problems here, problems that are hard to fix without triggering half of the playerbase. I get it, it would feel bad if all of a sudden your broken +10 whale armoured units wouldn't worth their value, and I honestly don't want this, as it would probably make whales spend less money, which could end in the termination of the game sooner than expected, but something is really needed to balance it. No, duel skills aren't good, as they are 5* locked, which means most f2p players still don't have acces to them...

Allies menu: as said before, filters. As for the design, I don't have a problem with it, it's still better than in FFBE imho.

Summoning pool: please, demote some more 5* units already! Take Lucina for example: no exclusive skills that would make her a powerful fodder, far more powerful options to use, including Alm with falchion refine, horse Chrom, because of cavalry, and even Masked Marth is there, who was free, and has the statline of neutral Lucina... she is 5* only because she is popular, and it feels bad... Also, add seasonals to the pool. At least the ones that are already over a year olds. Would make summoning a little more exciting. TT and other reward units should be added as well!!

Monthly quests: I do think most of us usually does most of the monthly skills in the first few days, which makes the rest of the month uninteresting. Weekly quests would be better.

ADD:

Units: while personally I don't really care about if beast units are going to be added or not, I would like to TMS#FE units in the near future. They are so colourful, and cheery, and all, they would definitely make the game (for me at least) more enjoyable. They don't have to be a new unit type (which would be quite interesting actually), but they would have a transformation animation before their first battle, just like manaketes.

Skill/Fodder shop: special shop with combat manuals for badges or something. Sometime even 1* units (ANY non-seasonal, including for example TT rewards as well), for a higher price. Since badges can't be bought, it wouldn't be a p2w situation, but would give players a chance to create a +10 version of their favourite easier. +10 Marisa please

Release all of the Duel skills (every movement type and color combination) and make them all accessible (expensive maybe, but based on effort instead of luck).

I honestly don't care if that upsets some players that pulled specifically for those skills, but any player with half a brain and a month or two of experience with the game should be fully aware that skill availability is always liable to change in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Also fix the menus being absolute shit to navigate.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Elaborating on the godforsaken menu design:

The Allies menu should really just look like this:

• Manage teams
    • The current UI is fine.
  • Manage allies
    • Selects a single character that opens up their skill list.
      • Tap-hold on a character icon anywhere else in the game and tapping the skill list button should also open this up anywhere where changing skills is allowed.
    • Tapping on an unlearned skill prompts you to learn it.
    • Tapping on a learned skill toggles whether it is equipped.
    • The first skill card in the skills list is the Sacred Seal.
    • The second skill card is the auto-learn button.
    • Tapping and holding on a refinable weapon opens the list of possible refinements.
    • Add a button to favorite or unfavorite skills, allowing you to hide skills you normally don't need (like first- and second-tier skills).
    • Add buttons for rarity promotion, leveling up, confer blessings, equip accessories, and summoner support, perhaps from an options menu on the screen since these are less-often-used features.
      • Possibly also add a quick link to skill inheritance and merging.
    • Add a button for skill sets somewhere on the screen.
  • More ally management
    • Skill inheritance
      • The current UI is fine, though it would be nice to also be a button from the skill list. This way, you can get here from the skill list without having to go back through the menu tree and you can get back to the skill list by tap-holding on the character icon again.
    • Merge
      • The current UI is fine, though it would be nice to also be a button from the skill list.
    • Manage Sacred Seals
      • Allows you to create seals, upgrade seals, and equip seals from the same screen.
    • Ally support
    • Herodex
    • Hero Merit
  • Manage brigades
  • Manage combat manuals
    • Same submenus and UI, though the "show me all of my manuals but don't let me actually do anything with them" option is pointless and should be removed.

What we currently have looks like it came from a game from 20 years ago.

Edited by Ice Dragon

19 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The ability to switch skills directly from character sheets.

This though, I hadn't even thought about that cause I'm so used to not being able to do anything from the character sheet. But seriously, we should be able to do more things from there. You can access the skill list, so why can't you learn and switch skills from there. We could also be able to add blessings/accessories/seals from there. Everything you can do that concerns one character should be able to be done simply by clicking on them really, that saves us a lot of time navigating through all the different menus.

Even if this wouldn't be possible, I would at least like Learn Skill and Equip Skills to be in the same menu, I don't think there's a reason why you shouldn't be able to do both at the same time. There's really just way to many different menus and I think more can be merged.

EDIT: Ice Dragon beat me to it, but yeah everything he mentions sounds like a great improvement.

Give every Gen 1 unit a stat boost to reach Gen 2 bst. Release firesweep axe + dagger, and raour/gron serpent and put every inheritable weapon into the 4* pool (including seasonal or weapons with the same effect as the seasonal) and put all ghb in the current rotations into the summoning pool at 3-4* 

Oh and decrease arena assault to 5 maps to match arena 

I'd merge TT and FB. Make it so that the final map and boss are changed every few days.

Training tower could give more resources, but it also requires an incentive to play it.

VG needs to be reworked from the ground up or rather change it entirely. Have the name still be what it was before, but have there be a different kind of system

Add relay defense maps to auto battle conquest. That way I don't have to auto battle everything

Skill forge and shop. Throw in a weapon shop where I can get seasonal weapons.

I'd put a cap on how much you can earn points from your team, add 1 extra row for bonus units, have you be able to battle up to 7 times in a row only if you weren't able to get any bonus kills, but only allow bonus unit points to be earned from those two battles

Castle customization or at least let them add stuff to it during certain periods like Halloween or Christmas

Demotion of 4-5* units and every 5* exclusive before Farfetched, excluding Brave Ike and Brave Lyn.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Release all of the Duel skills (every movement type and color combination) and make them all accessible (expensive maybe, but based on effort instead of luck).

Agreed, but I feel like the ship has already sailed with that. They're making decisions related to arena that ends up helping them earn more money. High BST units favored by arena as well as fighter skills, bonus unit stat boosts, bonus unit kills and duel skills are all means of encouraging players to spend orbs/money

Edited by silveraura25

I forgot that I'd drop a lot of Gen1 units in rarity. Also, I'd find a way to make their stats grow up to Gen2 units in some way.

If units would be removed from the summoning pool, I'd add them to a new feature to access them (previous fe maps idea).

2 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

I forgot that I'd drop a lot of Gen1 units in rarity. Also, I'd find a way to make their stats grow up to Gen2 units in some way.

If units would be removed from the summoning pool, I'd add them to a new feature to access them (previous fe maps idea).

To be honest, I'd rather gen 1 units be able to get new weapons instead and disallow gen 2 BST units with significant BST boosts to receive new weapons. Someone like Nanna whose BST is pretty much the same as last gen's ranged ponies would be able to get a new weapon, but Soleil who has about 5+ more BST than a Gen 1 infantry/flier and Gen 2 pony shouldn't be able to get a new weapon. All of this is subject to change if gen 3 BST gets introduced. I'd have there be some form of BST boosting then

• Bump up the 15 daily feathers to 100 or 200. Still for 1.5 years I have no clue why we get so little each day.
  • Add 4 more units to the bonus heroes in the arena.
  • Add a bookmark feature in Arena Assault.
  • Add all of the dual skills as seals to everyone at once.
  • Skill shop/ Combat manual shop.
  • Make it easier to navigate menus, finding close defense should be easy to find.
  • Demote 50% of the year 1 5* exclusives.
  • Older seasonal units will be demoted for the corresponding banner.
  • Item trading, I want to convert a couple hundred dueling swords into feathers or coins,
  • More castle customization
Edited by Jingle Bells

34 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:
  • Demote 50% of the year 1 5* exclusives.

You might be thinking there's a lot of them, but 50% is too little once you actually look at the numbers

5 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

You might be thinking there's a lot of them, but 50% is too little once you actually look at the numbers

Yeah you're right. My demotion list is to the 4-5* pool:

• Gray
  • Minerva
  • Jaffar
  • og Ike
  • Lucina
  • Tiki
  • Faye
  • Hinoka
  • Sanaki
  • Takumi
  • Eldigan
  • Lene

And the 3-4* pool:

• Saber
  • Lyn
  • Azura
  • Luke
  • Leo
  • blue Olwen
  • Mist
  • Sonya
  • Rhajat
  • Silvia
  • L'Arachel
  • Karel
  • Libra
  • Deirdre
  • Julia

Things I would do:

1: make the special training maps part of training tower
you can have these maps still cost more stamina - but it would be nice to access it every day not once a week or whatever. 

2: make it so you can put your units "On leave".  - sort of like the combat manual - but with this - you can like move your unit somewhere, until you need them, rather than going through your lists of people you don't need until a certain quest Ursula....

3: refine all the older units. 

4: Make it so those who don't get improved with IVS - you can get more of these units - 
Xanders, Berkuts, etc etc etc 

5: Remember that not everyone played the game at the same time, so while there are events to get characters like - Marisa, etc  - also have functions in the game where people can at least get 'caught up' and get the base amount of Joshua, Arden, Marisa (in a form of a shop?)

6: Have more dew available. i don't get why you need so much dew but it's so hard to find

7: change FB. 

8: Make it so the Infernal gave you Gold GHB - not Silver + 2000. 

9: Change Seasonal Banners that they run like Legendary. you only get broken by the Unit being focused. 
(now thinking this probably means a good chunk of my 5* units wouldn't even be here... but still). 

10: have more focused unit banners (ie: Dancers, singers etc) - and if it's a focused unit banner, their % to be summoned is higher - say 5 or so percent, where it's a lower percent to get an off focus unit. I just feel that if people are summoning in a focused banner - they should be able to get the focused unit easier. 

Arena 

Add a 3rd row of bonus heroes.

Give units a maximum score value (before bonus unit multiplier). Increase the value of merges. Ie: armor BST will help reach max value at low merges, but will have no effect at high merges.

Arena Assault

Reduce to 5 matches.

Change the daily quests for arena assault to weekly quests. Multiply rewards.

Voting Gauntlet 

Prioritize color variety when forming teams. Do not queue the player with units of the same color as their unit, even if two non-friend units must be selected to achieve this.

Remove multiplier bonus from personal score. Players should not be incentivized to only spend flags when they're losing.

Reduce arena requirements for flag quests from 10 matches to 5. 

Downgrade the amount of feathers it takes for to promote a four-star unit from 20k to 10k.

I saw this idea on another thread: Have a daily 1-2 summon. I think other gacha games have this feature of summoning free inferior rating units. 

Like many have said, make 5* exclusives more available by demoting them to 4 or 3 star. 

Have banners for the units that were in the game before book II.

More unit classes such as beasts. 

Add another form of currency to buy 4*, 3*, 2*, and 1* Units. In other words, a hero store that lets you buy units using bullions I would say. It will make skill inheritance much easier. There would be limited stock though. 

Add some Cipher and Mirage Sessions characters to the game. 

Introduce a new set of characters on a future book.

Demotion

I don't know how I feel about it, I would be glad but also a bit salty because I invested over 700 saved up orbs in the Deirdre/Sonya banner and got a bit unlucky.
And they need to adjust the 3/4 * Pool, because the more we have there the worse it will be to pull one of them. Maybe they can divide them depending on the banner. (New banners will get the new 3/4* pool and reissues the old.

New Reward system for Pulling

In my opinion pity rate was never a good thing. May it work or not, but I am not really feeling it. They can keep it, but something like a ticket system for pulling much on a banner with a guaranteed 5* would be nice. At least give the players something there they think that they can influence banners. There is nothing worse than saving up orbs for month and still getting punished for pulling.

New way to merge units

I often think about it, I think just giving feathers for wanted units is not the way. But if they would give something scarce which grants us a merge would be nice. I wouldn't mind it to be 1 merge for each month. Tales of Links did something like that and I really liked that.

Friend list

Just give us another mode which makes use of friends. One mode there you use 3 Characters from your pool, and 1 from the friend list. A lot of Gachas did something basic like that. And we still do not have it. If you get used as a friend you can gain up to 200-300 feathers each day, just give them instead of the other 15 feathers we get.

More use of Medals and all the currencies

I have about 13k Medals by now. They could be used in the often mentioned skill shop..

Honestly, thinking a little bit about it about it I could come up with more. And I don't have any idea if the ideas would be good. But I hear more and more people complaining, even streamers. Can't be a good sign I guess. 

No, we don't need yet another currency just for a shop.

We already have a bunch of currencies that are woefully underused: badges, crystals, and Arena Medallions.

Anyways, I had ideas for a new endgame mode in a separate thread modeled off of the tower and ruins in Sacred Stones that I might as well put here and flesh out a bit.

Spoiler
  • The game mode is a Tempest Trials-like mode where you have a set number of teams to clear a set number of maps.
  • At the highest difficulty, I'd imagine something along the lines of the following features:
    • 100 floors, 3 teams.
    • About 50 to 99 Stamina cost. Can be run as many times as you like for full rewards as long as you have the Stamina.
    • Floors 1-10 are at Lunatic difficulty.
    • Floors 11-20 are at Infernal difficulty.
    • Floors 21-100 are at Abyssal difficulty.
    • Starting at floor 11, enemies will use curated skill sets instead of random skill sets.
    • Every 10th floor is a boss floor.
  • Instead of being rewarded on how efficiently you clear the set of maps, you are rewarded for the number of maps cleared. After all, you're not expected to complete the entire run on the hardest difficulty.
  • No penalty for losing teams. Again, you're not expected to survive.
  • A run can be paused mid-way through in between floors.
  • Skills can be adjusted in between floors, but there will not be a map preview.
  • If a run is paused, the currently deployed units cannot be sent home, converted into Combat Manuals, used as fodder for merging or Skill Inheritance, etc. for obvious reasons.
  • Rewards should probably be a token of some sort to trade for prizes. This is a case where a new currency makes sense for two reasons:
    • (1) Using tokens is better than giving out specific prizes because it allows players to save up tokens to exchange for bigger prizes (helpful for less powerful players who can't get high enough to earn big prizes otherwise) or just turn them in for many smaller prizes (helpful for players who don't want to be constantly quitting at early floors to more efficiently farm smaller prizes).
    • (2) You obviously don't want players being able to get these prizes by ignoring this game mode and playing other content for access to the same prizes.
  • Rewards should scale (roughly exponentially) by difficulty and for each floor cleared:
    • 1 token for Hard
    • 2 tokens for Lunatic
    • 5 tokens for Infernal
    • 10 tokens for Abyssal
  • The prize shop should include things like Combat Manuals for limited characters, Combat Manuals for 5-star exclusive characters, rocks, dew, coins.
  • Have a monthly leaderboard to satisfy competitive players. If rewards for placement are absolutely necessary to be implemented, they should be something simple, like a mountain of feathers, additional tokens, or at least something that's not in limited supply (I'm still annoyed that coins and rocks are not only limited, but a placement reward for a competitive game mode).

There were two motivations for a mode like this. The first is to have something other than the Arena that can be considered an endgame game mode, which should at least alleviate some of the complaining about how the Arena works.

The second is due to what I see as a poor balance between luck and effort in advancing through this game, and this is somewhat influenced by my experience with Fate/Grand Order (which kind of has poor balance in the opposite direction). One of the problems I see with Heroes is the fact that "advancement" in this game hinges on a player's ability to obtain new characters and new skills to teach those characters. What makes this a problem is that both of these are tied to the gacha mechanic. No amount of effort will allow you to obtain more skill fodder once you've exhausted all of the game's permanent free orbs; you simply have to wait until more free orbs become available (or buy more orbs).

This is a formula that all but guarantees that veteran players will simply run out of things to do eventually because there are so few resources (effectively only feathers) that can be applied to making units better that can be farmed in this game.

Considering that limited characters are being re-released at an absolutely glacial pace (with the Askr trio being by far the slowest) and that both refinements and Sacred Seals are being released three times as fast as dew and coins (assuming you get every single one possibly available), respectively, turning all of these into "farmable resources" can help breathe a bit more activity into this game's longer-time players who have cleared most or all of this game's permanent content.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

Friend list

Just give us another mode which makes use of friends. One mode there you use 3 Characters from your pool, and 1 from the friend list. A lot of Gachas did something basic like that. And we still do not have it. If you get used as a friend you can gain up to 200-300 feathers each day, just give them instead of the other 15 feathers we get.

Really like this idea, more friend interactions would be great. Honestly I wouldn't mind skewing it even more with 3 friend heroes + 1 your hero, I like using other people's units and seeing how they built them.

Also want a casual PvP mode where you can fight your friend's defense teams.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The second is due to what I see as a poor balance between luck and effort in advancing through this game, and this is somewhat influenced by my experience with Fate/Grand Order (which kind of has poor balance in the opposite direction). One of the problems I see with Heroes is the fact that "advancement" in this game hinges on a player's ability to obtain new characters and new skills to teach those characters. What makes this a problem is that both of these are tied to the gacha mechanic. No amount of effort will allow you to obtain more skill fodder once you've exhausted all of the game's permanent free orbs; you simply have to wait until more free orbs become available (or buy more orbs).

What do you mean by Fate Grand Order has poor balance in the opposite direction?

30 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

What do you mean by Fate Grand Order has poor balance in the opposite direction?

Every new character you obtain is like 100 hours of grinding materials to level up (excluding Grail ascensions) and max level (to level 9) all of their skills. And I can't just throw money at the game to acquire materials faster like I can with skill fodder in Heroes.

For example, it costs 377 4-star experience cards to get a 5-star character to level 90 if you are unlucky and do not get any bonus successes, which is approximately 100 runs of the experience card farming node. That's 5 hours of straight farming (at 3 minutes per run) if you have enough stamina restores, but that's equivalent to 2 weeks' worth of natural stamina regeneration (not even counting the fact that the farming node for a particular class is only available 2 days of the week due to the daily rotation).

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Every new character you obtain is like 100 hours of grinding materials to level up (excluding Grail ascensions) and max level (to level 9) all of their skills. And I can't just throw money at the game to acquire materials faster like I can with skill fodder in Heroes.

For example, it costs 377 4-star experience cards to get a 5-star character to level 90 if you are unlucky and do not get any bonus successes, which is approximately 100 runs of the experience card farming node. That's 5 hours of straight farming (at 3 minutes per run) if you have enough stamina restores, but that's equivalent to 2 weeks' worth of natural stamina regeneration (not even counting the fact that the farming node for a particular class is only available 2 days of the week due to the daily rotation).

I see your point, too many times in FGO I feel roadblocked due the lack of materials that I have. Mostly in events I can reliably get from the shops. Still wondering why there isn't a 5* card for more than 3 years?