New Heroes Appear: Adrift (November 9 ~)

Coolmanio

28 minutes ago, The Priest said:

iirc 幼き doesn't necessarily exclude teenagers and Azura isn't that old, I think (though we don't have exact ages). Though I don't know if JP Heroes ever used the term for "adolescent" yet.

Every source I've found (i.e. the entire first page of a simple Google search) appears to imply the the term is used for ages around infancy through grade school when referring to a person's physical age.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Every source I've found (i.e. the entire first page of a simple Google search) appears to imply the the term is used for ages around infancy through grade school when referring to a person's physical age.

I hope she will have trainee BST bonus, although I guess that is not necessary with Duel skills, but it would still be nice to have more stats to work with.

2 minutes ago, TheWildestCat said:

What have I started

War.

But don't worry it's standard fare by now.
*sips tea in the burning room*

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Uh, infancy, really?
I get from a search "childish, immature" and "very young".

I'm pretty sure "osanaki" is not used to describe the age around infancy but don't quote me on it.
Also usually grade school kids are referred as "kodomo", no?

7 hours ago, TheWildestCat said:

Since everyone is a little unhappy about Camilla, let's make a small game. you don't have to do it. If you could change one of the heroes who and why and who would you replace it with and why. limited to fates since that is where everyone is from. I'm not doing it but the idea is out there.

For this banner, I'd take out Camilla (since she's out of place) and replace her with Arete.  We have the two Corrins and Mikoto wearing Azura's garb and with Azura going to be a free unit, I feel that Arete would be the perfect choice, since she's the mother of Azura and Mikoto is the mother of Corrin. Plus it also goes with the whole Valla theme, and I believe Arete has Cipher art of her wearing a similar looking garb.

For wishful characters, I'd like Nyx.

Edited by Nora

38 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It means either they're being lazy in their choice of words or they're actually that ignorant. Neither is a good thing.

Using a common phrase that even people whose 2nd language is English know how to interpret is lazy or ignorant.  Lol okay.  

19 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Uh, infancy, really?
I get from a search "childish, immature" and "very young".

I'm pretty sure "osanaki" is not used to describe the age around infancy but don't quote me on it.

When used in an official capacity, it refers specifically to an infant.

In standard usage when referring to a person's age or physical appearance, it means "very young". My personal experience with the word puts people in grade school or earlier. Possibly middle school, but certainly not later than that.

19 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Also usually grade school kids are referred as "kodomo", no?

子供 (kodomo) is a noun meaning "child". 幼い (osanai) is an adjective meaning "very young".

3 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Using a common phrase that even people whose 2nd language is English know how to interpret is lazy or ignorant.  Lol okay.  

The use of hyperbole should be restricted to situations where the use of hyperbole is actually appropriate.

Using hyperbole, specifically in this case speaking in absolutes, when trying to be persuasive simply leads to people trying to poke holes using counterexamples. Using hyperbole when you're expressing a negative opinion makes you look like whiner.

You have time to edit your posts before you post them so that you can express the opinion you actually want to express, not something that can be misconstrued because you were lazy with your choice of words.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I'm not sure what the hubub is about what age Azura's younger form will actually be. I think the JP version points towards something like in the official FE manga, so I'm expecting that. We'll know for sure soon enough anyway.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The use of hyperbole should be restricted to situations where the use of hyperbole is actually appropriate.

Using hyperbole, specifically in this case speaking in absolutes, when trying to be persuasive simply leads to people trying to poke holes using counterexamples. Using hyperbole when you're expressing a negative opinion makes you look like whiner.

You have time to edit your posts before you post them so that you can express the opinion you actually want to express, not something that can be misconstrued because you were lazy with your choice of words.

Well there is only one person on here who is petty and didn't get it, either cause he actually has that poor of understanding or just wanted to pick a fight.  Everyone else seems to have understood the meaning cause it is obvious.  If I was submitting an article to the New York Times I would choose my words a lot more carefully.  This is an internet forum, getting the meaning across is all that matters.  

M!Corrin's clothes are now my favorite version of Azura's outfit/Vallite fashion in general. He looks fantastic in it, but I wish Azura and this version of F!Corrin could have worn it too - it's still got the same elegant and flowy aesthetic, but with the bonus of letting them be, you know, actually clothed.

Interesting concept for a banner, Camilla doesn't fit the theme but what else is new, curious to see what they will do with Azura.

18 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Well there is only one person on here who is petty and didn't get it, either cause he actually has that poor of understanding or just wanted to pick a fight.  Everyone else seems to have understood the meaning cause it is obvious.  If I was submitting an article to the New York Times I would choose my words a lot more carefully.  This is an internet forum, getting the meaning across is all that matters.  

If someone is being petty at you over this, it probably means that your use of hyperbole was inappropriate to the situation. Or perhaps they were even genuinely offended by your statement.

Getting the meaning across is only part of what matters. I would argue that taking the time to word your posts so that you don't induce petty squabbling over your lack of effort is part of your responsibilities.

This is a forum, not a blog.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Something else that could potentially add to the salt this banner is causing is the question of demotes. Since July, we've had 5 banners which added permanent units, for a total of 18 units and of those, only 3 got demoted (in bold) :

• Ylissean Travelers
    • Sumia
    • Maribelle
    • Flier Olivia
    • Libra
  • Arrival of the Brave
    • B!Ephraim
    • B!Veronica
    • B!Celica
    • B!Hector
  • Doorway to Destiny
    • Quan
    • Lewynn
    • Silvia
  • Nohrian Dusk
    • Ophelia
    • Flora
    • Nina
    • Silas
  • Generals of Múspell
    • Helbindi
    • Laevatain
    • Laegjarn

Add to this that Brave Redux seems to be this year's Farfetched Heroes and if follows the same pattern as that banner by having no demotion, that would be 21 new heroes with only 3 demotions. And the Adrift banner seems really similar in its theme to the Fallen Heroes banner, which also had no demotion.

Obviously it's too early to tell, but if both Heroes Redux and Adrift have no demotions, that will be 3 demotes for 25 new heroes. Sure we would have no demotes from banners we expected no demotions from, but I'm sure a lot of people would wish IS had spread those banners apart more evenly. If this turns out to be the case, I hope the next FEH channel or at least the one announcing update 3.0 will talk of a summoning pool revamp with tons of demotions.

I am new here and my opinion probably won't count as much, but

19 hours ago, Motendra said:

I've been meaning to say this for a while now, but I just wanna say that you devotion to Camilla despite everything thrown at her at ever turn is honestly really admirable. Kudos to you, good sir

I have to second this. Alkaid staying calm and supporting his favorite character, despite all the shit thrown at her, is really commendable.

I actually feared, that he will get bashed and insulted from all sides for this. Not only wasn't that the case, but he even got a positive reply. That was a pleasant surprise, thank you for that, Motendra.

I'm really shy even in an internet forum, but seeing this positivity and that there are people that are genuinely happy with the banner, made me smile. In addition to eclipse, giving her best to keep everything civil here, which I greatly appreciate, I decided to finally create an account here, maybe only to get that off me.

But as I'm here now, might as well give my opinion on that banner.

None of the characters or skills are something I feel I need to absolutely have right now. This, coupled with the fact that I try to avoid 4 unit focus banners, makes it an easy skip.
But that's fine, as I will have more orbs when something I want gets released or returns. I just hope something gets demoted this time, because we had so many banners without demotes lately.

I am glad about the TT Azura though. Azura is one of my favorites and while I don't think we need another alt for her, I'll take it.
Yet I do agree with the people saying it would have been a great opportunity for Arete and would even trade the new Azura for her. I am especially curious what they would do for her art, because I don't remember there being a lot of art for her.

So I wish everyone that likes that banner the best of luck, may you all get what you hope for.

For everyone else, I hope you get something soon, that you can use the orbs you save here on. And don't let that banner ruin your day, that's not worth it.

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If someone is being petty at you over this, it probably means that your use of hyperbole was inappropriate to the situation. Or perhaps they were even genuinely offended by your statement.

Getting the meaning across is only part of what matters. I would argue that taking the time to word your posts so that you don't induce petty squabbling over your lack of effort is part of your responsibilities.

This is a forum, not a blog.

The way I see it, if only one person who just wants to pick a fight has a problem with my wording, it is on them.  I'm certainly not going to put extra effort to not offend someone who is just waiting to jump on whatever I say, screw that.  

It also isn't up to me to word things immaculately as you said it is a forum.  Inducing petty squabbling from someone who pettily squabbles all the time with multiple people?  Yeah again that's on them.  If someone is a problem, I'm not going to bend over backwards to please them, it is up to them to change.  

Edited by Lewyn

2 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

If someone is a problem, I'm not going to bend over backwards to please them, it is up to them to change.  

Perhaps you should consider whether it is actually you who is the problem and should be the one changing.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Perhaps you should consider whether it is actually you who is the problem and should be the one changing.

Or maybe you are?  Maybe we should all look in the mirror and self reflect and only after a long process see whether how we have currently lived is how we should continue to live.

Anyways we are done here, this has nothing to do with the thread.

Edited by Lewyn

1 minute ago, Lewyn said:

Ah! I'm sorry, I'll change it right away I didn't mean to misspell on the divine forum!

No worries, the divine god Naga forgives all for their mistakes. Unless you believe in Anankos, then you're boned. (And that's how you loop back to talking about this banner)

2 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

No worries, the divine god Naga forgives all for their mistakes. Unless you believe in Anankos, then you're boned. (And that's how you loop back to talking about this banner)

Bless Naga. 
(actually. i wonder if we'd ever get Naga, Anankos etc on a banner)

On the subject of young Azura and it was probably mentioned already, but people have been speculating she could look like this.

Edited by Kaden

2 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Unless you believe in Anankos, then you're boned. (And that's how you loop back to talking about this banner)

I just had a really disturbing thought. You remember Garon moaning over his step daughter dancing? I get a feeling that people will update the meme with him doing that over loli Azura.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I just had a really disturbing thought. You remember Garon moaning over his step daughter dancing? I get a feeling that people will update the meme with him doing that over loli Azura.

Well now that you gave them the idea it is certainly going to happen.