What newer character designs do you think should have replaced the iconic version?

Fabulously Olivier

Nostalgia is a powerful force. Often times, the first version of a character will be the face of that character forever, even if a reboot or redesign just looks better. Often, the redesign will get flak just for not being the original.

Which character redesigns/reboots do you think were better than their originals and should have replaced them in future games and outside appearances.

I'll start with one of my strongest opinions. Zero from the Megaman Zero quadrilogy is simply cooler, sleeker, and more interesting than his original MMX "green tits" design. Also, the MMZ games were incredible and had hands-down the best storytelling in the entire Megaman franchise. Every time I see "green tits" Zero in a crossover, I am sorely disappointed that it is not his MMZ incarnation.

Megaman_zero.png

Edited by Etheus

Gotta agree with the Zero part. Zero in MMZ looks so much cooler and they should've used that design forever.

I wanna say Roy but his Smash 4 design has pretty much become his permament design so i can't say him.

Honestly, i can only think of Zero right now. Can't think of anyone else.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

I wanna say Roy but his Smash 4 design has pretty much become his permament design so i can't say him.

I don't really think that's the case. FE Heroes and I think Cipher too have pretty much ignored the older looking and more muscled Roy from Smash in favor of his usual skinny version. 

I suppose I would prefer MMZ Zero over the X design if he was still using an arm cannon instead of a handgun he picked up from a dead resistance soldier. Redesigns are one thing but it's irritating when it involves functional changes like that. Or maybe it just bothers me that Zero does all this crazy shit with such a puny weapon.

And btw, MMZ was my very first Mega Man game. I didn't even know Megaman was anything but a cartoon character at the time. So nostalgia really doesn't factor in here.

Edited by BrightBow

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Agree. Actually, I think his OoT design is his worst design (aside from CDi, of course) and his HW design is his best.

I think OOT ganon has a lot of things that do look good. He has that very nice looking red cape and his face is fine. Its the weird brown outfit that bring the design down for me.

I find the team magma/Aqua redesigns to be much better then their original counterparts. They all looked so generic in Ruby/Saphire, but in the remakes I felt like they got a lot more character. Aqua expends a bit on the pirate theme and the scientist theme works well for Maxie.

The same can be said for the team rocket admins in Heartgold/Soul silver, but thats not entirely fair. The admins where just generic grunts in the original so that probably doesn't count.

44 minutes ago, Sasori said:

I think OOT ganon has a lot of things that do look good. He has that very nice looking red cape and his face is fine. Its the weird brown outfit that bring the design down for me.

I find the team magma/Aqua redesigns to be much better then their original counterparts. They all looked so generic in Ruby/Saphire, but in the remakes I felt like they got a lot more character. Aqua expends a bit on the pirate theme and the scientist theme works well for Maxie.

The same can be said for the team rocket admins in Heartgold/Soul silver, but thats not entirely fair. The admins where just generic grunts in the original so that probably doesn't count.

I don't like any aspect of OoT Ganondorf - especially his face. I am thoroughly disappointed that his SSBU incarnation is no longer his much more intimidating Twilight Princess version.

I agree on Archie, disagree on Maxie. 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:06 AM, BrightBow said:

I suppose I would prefer MMZ Zero over the X design if he was still using an arm cannon instead of a handgun he picked up from a dead resistance soldier. Redesigns are one thing but it's irritating when it involves functional changes like that. Or maybe it just bothers me that Zero does all this crazy shit with such a puny weapon.

I feel like this perception of the handgun puts a little too much emphasis on technology as make or break of one's combat abilities. I mean, in the Zero games the titular hero is a reincarnation of one of the most powerful and skilled reploids right? I think with such a wealth of experience under his belt he should be able to fight well despite having a weaker weapon just by placing his shots accurately. Besides, the handgun fits MMZ's heavy post-apocalypse/resistance theme really well.

Dracula's design from Castlevania Chronicles will always be the best to me (the one on Playstation 1, not the X68000 version, even though that version of the game is bundled with the new version). I know that Dracula's appearance depends on how much power he has at any given moment, which explains why his appearance in terms of age is always changing from game to game, but I find his Chronicles design to be the most "Dracula" version of Dracula there is. Symphony of the Night has nothing on this guy.offart-drac.jpg.83898d33d161619ad752c987b7d1d933.jpg

As a side note, I also really like Redhead Simon Belmont. I think it really distinguishes him from other Belmonts (even though he's already arguably the most distinguished) in the series and makes him look rather unique.

Toon Link should be the default Link as far as I'm concerned. 

I also think Squidninja Yoshimitsu from Tekken 7 should just be Yoshimitsu's design forever.

On the topic of Fire Emblem:

I think New Mystery(Shadow Dragon too kinda) Marth should absolutely be the default version of him. This one's a bit more subtle compared to a lot of redesigns, but the remake version of Marth has a solid frame, visible muscle, and some attire changes that make him more like the "Hero-King" that he is. New Mystery in particular makes Marth look a lot more like an imposing force compared to his original NES/SNES design, where he's a noodle with a tiara, and they fixed his derp face from Shadow Dragon. It's a solid, appealing design that gives Marth a distinct look beyond "He's the lord that all other lords have taken from and improved on". It seems like his Smash representations have been slowly moving from the FE3 design to the FE11/12 design, gradually making him bigger in each game. He's cultivating mass, if you will.

18 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Okay, unpopular opinion time. Ken from SF5/MvC Infinite is better than traditional Ken. His new outfit helps separate him from Ryu better and the ponytail is a nice touch of personality.

I actually do think Ken's SF5 look is good as well. The problem is that the character model was poorly handled, I'm surprised that Capcom didn't try to go back and polish it up post launch. Sure there's always alternate costumes, but I think it's important that the default look has the most though and care put into it. Overwatch is the best example of this, the alts are a lot of fun, but the default outfits are always perfectly tailored to the hero's background and personality so that you can infer what they're all about even if you've never seen them before.

3 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I actually do think Ken's SF5 look is good as well. The problem is that the character model was poorly handled, I'm surprised that Capcom didn't try to go back and polish it up post launch. Sure there's always alternate costumes, but I think it's important that the default look has the most though and care put into it. Overwatch is the best example of this, the alts are a lot of fun, but the default outfits are always perfectly tailored to the hero's background and personality so that you can infer what they're all about even if you've never seen them before.

I agree. It needed more polish.

Though I would say that is the case for Capcom's character models in general these past few years, lest we forget the eldritch horrors that were Capcom characters in MvC Infinite.

Edited by Etheus

I'll third SF5 Ken. I think it showcases his personality a lot more, and gives him a more light-hearted, leaner look. Ken's always been a more light-hearted, slightly kick-oriented Ryu, so conveying that through his character is a solid design choice. Prior to SFV, Ken has always looked like "angry blond Ryu in a red gi". 

It's mostly the banana ponytail that I think is the major point of contention. If they just, like, gave that thing any detail, I'm sure more people would be totally fine with SFV Ken. 

This one’s an iconic sword, rather than a character, but I’ve always been more partial towards Marth’s Falchion in Shadow Dragon, rather than the original Dark Dragon and Sword of Light. Which baffles me that they use his designs from the remake, but not the sword.

Awakening DLC Ephraim, Seliph, and Roy. 

I really wish Awakening Roy were a costume in Smash. 

On the topic of Fire Emblem:

I think New Mystery(Shadow Dragon too kinda) Marth should absolutely be the default version of him. This one's a bit more subtle compared to a lot of redesigns, but the remake version of Marth has a solid frame, visible muscle, and some attire changes that make him more like the "Hero-King" that he is. New Mystery in particular makes Marth look a lot more like an imposing force compared to his original NES/SNES design, where he's a noodle with a tiara, and they fixed his derp face from Shadow Dragon. It's a solid, appealing design that gives Marth a distinct look beyond "He's the lord that all other lords have taken from and improved on". It seems like his Smash representations have been slowly moving from the FE3 design to the FE11/12 design, gradually making him bigger in each game. He's cultivating mass, if you will.

Strongly agree.

Edited by Etheus

I think Mario and Luigi should get newer different outfits since they kinda looked like they wear the same designs for a long time since Super Mario Bros. 3. But, I think the other redesigns that other characters should need are Ninten from EarthBound Beginnings, Ness from EarthBound, and Mike Jones from StarTropics.

But, the redesigns that I really like are Pit and Palutena since from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Marth's and Roy's from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, and a lot of redesigns from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

Edited by King Marth 64

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 8:33 AM, Etheus said:

I don't like any aspect of OoT Ganondorf - especially his face. I am thoroughly disappointed that his SSBU incarnation is no longer his much more intimidating Twilight Princess version.

I agree on Archie, disagree on Maxie. 

To me, Smash Ultimate Ganondorf is less impressive than Brawl Ganondorf, but way better than SSB4 Ganondorf. Even if his design is mostly the same, they really messed up his face in SSB4.

My take on it is that as long as Smash keeps Ganondorf as a Captain Falcon clone, they are better off using his younger, nimbler design then the one with the heavy, samurai armor.

When playing Hyrule Warriors, I found myself shocked how much I suddenly liked the Twilight Princess design when it uses a moveset that is actually a decent fit for it.