What newer character designs do you think should have replaced the iconic version?

Fabulously Olivier

13 hours ago, Roland said:

Hmm....If it counts, I prefer Old Snake from MGS 4 over MGS 1/MGS 2 Snake.

I don't see why it wouldn't count. Aging up a character has been apart of several different redesigns, Old Snake is no different.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/12/2018 at 6:33 PM, Etheus said:

I don't like any aspect of OoT Ganondorf - especially his face. I am thoroughly disappointed that his SSBU incarnation is no longer his much more intimidating Twilight Princess version.

*looks up SSBU* Gosh you're right! In Melee, OoTdorf, the only one that existed at the time, worked, but this current update is baaad! Could it lose the cape and darken and downplay the armor?

I'd also say I like MMZ Zero more than the original. To be fair, my MM history is Classic, then MMZ, then X. Yet I do think X Zero has a design flaw- it's so dated. Those ginormous legs and everything else is so bulky, which is also true of X and Axl, and Bass/MM/Proto.

In a way, it's more realistic, since an issue IRL with making humanoid two-legged robots has been keeping them balanced and standing upright. Classic MM is the early days of robotics, X maintains the general principles of design, but amp up the quality of technology they're made of. Zero is evidence of a design revolution- the balance problem has been solved and designs can now be sleeker.

Of course, the other thing is just that the design direction changed at Capcom, not a conscious logical progression. Which one can like or not like. And it doesn't work in lore, since they said MMZ Zero's changed design is retconned into being the design he always had even in MMX.

About Roy's design history, I'd say Melee Roy is ideal. Technically it is older and more iconic than FE6 Roy ironically. FE6 Roy is arguably a little too young. Awakening Roy is okay, but I don't love it. Smash 4 Roy has the problem of aping Ike too much. FE6 Roy looks scrawny, chess or little league baseball at most for him as a school extracurricular; Smash 4 Roy is the quarterback for his high school football team and is being scouted for college. Melee Roy is youthful, but not soft, looks like he could fight, but not wrestle, the perfect in-between.