Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee Discussion!

Lau

Sooo, the games have sold over 3 million in their first week.

I'm still loving it. Just beat the Cinnabar gym, I'm taking my time with it, trying to get my very first living Dex.

Can I just say that Blue is an absolute delight to see in this style? I sound like a dying animal whenever he shows up.

Homestly, I'm looking forward to a potential Lets Go Johto than I am for gen 8. Just let me see best rival Silver in HD, Game Freak!

Just beat the game. It sounds strange but honestly it's just Pokemon Yellow in 3D with non-random encounters and better pokemon balancing thanks to the gradual updates to the battle system and learnsets. Catching pokemon in the wild was about 20% of my play time so outside of that it felt just like the main series games. I love to see routes populated with more diverse pokemon, and doing so early on addresses the early game difficulty issues that plague gen 1.  However the game is pitifully easy until an odd difficulty spike post Celadon City where all the trainers levels jump from 30 to 40 without warning. I don't like how they made the game less linear than the original. You can't leave Cerulean City until you beat Misty. You can't enter Diglett's cave until you beat Surge, though that makes a little sense since Dugtrio wrecks that gym in the original. Gyms also start out with requirements you need to meet for entry, but then they drop that concept midway through the game. You also can't get "Fly" quite as early. But the game will open up in the second half. I was able to head out all the way to seafoam, caught a jynx, and then blazed through Koga and Sabrina.

I enjoy just catching pokemon and filling out the pokedex. Had 98 of 150 entries when I reached the Pokemon League and I feel like I didn't make more of an effort than I usually do to catch pokemon. And like the original you're rewarded for having lots of pokedex entries which is something I've been clamoring to return in the series. Pokemon games just sort of stopped caring how much you fill out the pokedex almost immediately after the first gen. This GO mode of capture makes a lot of sense, and if you add a few more mechanics it can be very compelling in a new game. The only thing that holds it back in Let's Go is just the fact that this game has the bare minimum of 150 pokemon to collect. And obviously choosing which pokemon you encounter is just a fantastic improvement on previous games. Easily in the same tier as Ride Pokemon in Gen 7. Also in what used to be Cycling Road, many of the trainers there had their first pokemon out beside them because it's a hot battling spot. And I think that's very cool, letting the player do a little recon before they challenge somebody with the right counterpick.

When this game was announced I sneered and made jokes about Pokemon Let's Go Togepi and Let's Go Larvitar in 2020. Pokemon becoming a yearly franchise. Or these GO games taking the place of proper remakes. But honestly it's showed me just how much the main games still have to learn and innovate. And how the wealth of mechanics in modern pokemon don't really amount to very much fun in a casual playthrough. This is such a low effort game and I had more fun in it than in last year's Ultra Moon which was even more of a shameless cash grab.

Oh, but motion controls suck for catching. The game never teaches you how to throw a curve ball and it just doesn't work consistently. Play in handheld mode so that you have control where you're looking. 

• 1 month later...

This thread is JUST over a month old, but may I bring it back anyway? It's just barely past the month limit. I got Let's Go Eevee for Christmas, which I actually asked for because despite my initial reaction to these two games, they grew on me. And I like Eevee more than Pikachu. And this version has Vulpix too!

So far I'm having enough fun! I got a female Eevee with no resets! I named her Daisy because there are flower accessories for it in the game and I love Princess Daisy from the Mario games. I have a Bulbasaur, Metapod (evolved from a Caterpie), Pikachu, Pidgey, and Weedle in my party right now other than Eevee. That won't be my permanent party, of course. lol I want some more balance, obviously. And a Ponyta/Rapidash later!

Is Bulbasaur a very rare encounter? I've only found the one I caught. And it's a big one. XD

I just beat Brock, though I might've been lucky since I hit his Onix with a critical hit with Bulbasaur's Vine Whip. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I've finished everything but the rematch with the elite four and a battle with another trainer. I've gotta say though, that as someone that read the Kanto arc in the manga I was SO HAPPY TO SEE 

Spoiler

Green show up with some of her manga Pokémon in her team!

The biggest problem I have with this game and why I probably won't replay it too much despite it actually being good is the new catching mechanic and the focus on it. It's a fun gimmick at first but it gets tiresome and rather annoying after a while. Also not a big fan of the gym leader requirements, especially the fuchsia city one, that one really annoyed me! Who's idea was that one!

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

This thread is JUST over a month old, but may I bring it back anyway? It's just barely past the month limit. I got Let's Go Eevee for Christmas, which I actually asked for because despite my initial reaction to these two games, they grew on me. And I like Eevee more than Pikachu. And this version has Vulpix too!

So far I'm having enough fun! I got a female Eevee with no resets! I named her Daisy because there are flower accessories for it in the game and I love Princess Daisy from the Mario games. I have a Bulbasaur, Metapod (evolved from a Caterpie), Pikachu, Pidgey, and Weedle in my party right now other than Eevee. That won't be my permanent party, of course. lol I want some more balance, obviously. And a Ponyta/Rapidash later!

Is Bulbasaur a very rare encounter? I've only found the one I caught. And it's a big one. XD

I just beat Brock, though I might've been lucky since I hit his Onix with a critical hit with Bulbasaur's Vine Whip. :P

You can get a free Bulbasaur in Cerulean City if you've caught 30 Pokémon. You can also catch them in Viridian Forest but they're a special spawn pokemon, meaning that yes they are indeed very rare.

Edited by Hekselka

2 hours ago, Hekselka said:

You can get a free Bulbasaur in Cerulean City if you've caught 30 Pokémon. You can also catch them in Viridian Forest but they're a special spawn pokemon, meaning that yes they are indeed very rare.

I'm aware of the free one, yes. But wow, I DID get a lucky catch here then! It was also a larger than normal Bulbasaur! By now it's evolved though, of course.

Sorry to double post, but I've been waiting forever for someone else to post in here so I could.

I finished the league the other day. And I just caught a shiny Zubat completely by random! Holy shit.

I'm pissed you can't get Mewtwo in this game though. I don't get why GF would decide to make it out of reach when you still have a Pokedex you seemingly could fill up. And Mewtwo was always obtainable before. But there's no way to beat it in a battle. Its level is far too high and it's impossible to get a Pokemon at a high enough level to defeat it. And a Dark type to be immune to it doesn't exist here.

So what the hell, GF?

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sorry to double post, but I've been waiting forever for someone else to post in here so I could.

I finished the league the other day. And I just caught a shiny Zubat completely by random! Holy shit.

I'm pissed you can't get Mewtwo in this game though. I don't get why GF would decide to make it out of reach when you still have a Pokedex you seemingly could fill up. And Mewtwo was always obtainable before. But there's no way to beat it in a battle. Its level is far too high and it's impossible to get a Pokemon at a high enough level to defeat it. And a Dark type to be immune to it doesn't exist here.

So what the hell, GF?

Yeah, Mewtwo is pretty damn strong if you try to defeat him right after the league. 
I managed to do it but only by turning off animations, using Eevee's Buzzy Buz to Paralyze Mewtwo's and also nerf his speed at the same time and then I also retried till I also managed to get Venesaur to Leech seed him.

After that it was a matter of being lucky and hitting him with my strongest attacks like Pinsir's X-Scizzor and hoping for the best.

I honestly think that GF expected players to grind to fight Mewtwo by fighting the gym leaders again and re-challenging the Elite four because your Pokémon aren't strong enough after defeating the E4/Champion to easily defeat Mewtwo.

6 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Yeah, Mewtwo is pretty damn strong if you try to defeat him right after the league. 
I managed to do it but only by turning off animations, using Eevee's Buzzy Buz to Paralyze Mewtwo's and also nerf his speed at the same time and then I also retried till I also managed to get Venesaur to Leech seed him.

My Eevee and Venusaur don't have those moves.

After that it was a matter of being lucky and hitting him with my strongest attacks like Pinsir's X-Scizzor and hoping for the best.

I don't even have a Pinsir...or anything that can learn that move, for that matter.

I honestly think that GF expected players to grind to fight Mewtwo by fighting the gym leaders again and re-challenging the Elite four because your Pokémon aren't strong enough after defeating the E4/Champion to easily defeat Mewtwo.

Which isn't really possible and not worth it imo. The Elite Four are always MUCH stronger when you try challenging them again. They go up by like 15-20 levels. Grinding by catching Pokemon is painfully slow, so that's not an option either. Not to mention you could run out of money and Pokeballs, making doing so literally impossible.

I have no idea what GF was thinking here. Why would they expect players to do such a tedious/painful thing at all?

What would've been a better option is to bring back the VS Seeker and battle generic trainers again.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My Eevee and Venusaur don't have those moves.

I don't even have a Pinsir...or anything that can learn that move, for that matter.

Which isn't really possible and not worth it imo. The Elite Four are always MUCH stronger when you try challenging them again. They go up by like 15-20 levels. Grinding by catching Pokemon is painfully slow, so that's not an option either.

I have no idea what GF was thinking here. Why would they expect players to do such a tedious/painful thing at all?

What would've been a better option is to bring back the VS Seeker and battle generic trainers again.

You can always relearn the Eevee exclusive moves with the guys that teach Eevee those moves. You can learn/relearn them as much as you want which is useful if you need to fight a specific trainer.

You're right. The Elite Four do get a lot stronger. Do you know about Chansey grinding? Chansey grinding gives a ton of Exp very quickly so you could maybe do that?

I also don't understand GF here. After I got Mewtwo I just fought the Gym Leaders daily to get strong enough for the E4 but I realized that was going to take too long so I just did some Chansey grinding.

Yup yup, I never understood why they got rid of the VS Seeker after Gen 4. It was such a useful item.

2 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

You can always relearn the Eevee exclusive moves with the guys that teach Eevee those moves. You can learn/relearn them as much as you want which is useful if you need to fight a specific trainer.

You're right. The Elite Four do get a lot stronger. Do you know about Chansey grinding? Chansey grinding gives a ton of Exp very quickly so you could maybe do that?

I also don't understand GF here. After I got Mewtwo I just fought the Gym Leaders daily to get strong enough for the E4 but I realized that was going to take too long so I just did some Chansey grinding.

Yup yup, I never understood why they got rid of the VS Seeker after Gen 4. It was such a useful item.

Okay, thanks.

Exactly, and I doubt I could beat them again now.

I know Chansey in the past would give a lot of exp. points when you defeat it, so I'm not surprised it still does here when you catch it. But the problem is, it's a rare encounter, so that'll still be slow. You could say to use lures, but I'd need to spend money on those too, as well as Pokeballs. And if I run out...well.

I see. Don't blame you.

Yeah, exactly. It was extremely useful and I'd use it all the time, particularly if I found myself a bit underleveled for a gym or something. Why the hell did they not keep bringing it back?!

Can others please post in here sometimes so I'm not stuck double posting so much? I ask this politely. Not trying to be rude.

Anyway, I'm feeling now that it's far too difficult to catch Pokemon in these games. More often than not, no matter how many times I use Ultra Balls and/or Razz berries, Pokemon break out multiple times and run away.

I can hardly catch anything that's higher level. I also rarely even have Razz berries because you can't buy them for who knows why.

I prefer the old way of catching Pokemon by far. This honestly is dumb to me. :/ Unless I'm somehow doing this all wrong?

My game might also have a bug though. ...And at the same time, NOT have one. I can't get a Pinsir to spawn for the life of me. It's supposed to appear on routes 14 and 15 according to the Pokedex, but no matter how many lures I use, none ever show up.

Edited by Anacybele

17 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Can others please post in here sometimes so I'm not stuck double posting so much? I ask this politely. Not trying to be rude.

Anyway, I'm feeling now that it's far too difficult to catch Pokemon in these games. More often than not, no matter how many times I use Ultra Balls and/or Razz berries, Pokemon break out multiple times and run away.

I can hardly catch anything that's higher level. I also rarely even have Razz berries because you can't buy them for who knows why.

I prefer the old way of catching Pokemon by far. This honestly is dumb to me. :/ Unless I'm somehow doing this all wrong?

My game might also have a bug though. ...And at the same time, NOT have one. I can't get a Pinsir to spawn for the life of me. It's supposed to appear on routes 14 and 15 according to the Pokedex, but no matter how many lures I use, none ever show up.

Are you using the second player trick? Whenever you're catching a pokémon use the second joy-con so you have a higher chance of catching.

As for Razz berries, you can find normal/silver razz beries on route 17. Just search the yellow flowers a lot. They respawn when you exit so you can do it as much as you want.
You can also rarely get golden razz berries in the cerulean cave. When you go on the second floor you'll see these spots with white light, you can sometimes find a golden razz berrie there.

So do I and I hope that the new 2019 Pokémon game will let us choose which catching mechanic we want to use. 

Pinsir is a very rare 1% encounter and people have said that it sometimes took them up to an hour to catch. I was just really lucky to catch one very quickly and without much issue.

3 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Are you using the second player trick? Whenever you're catching a pokémon use the second joy-con so you have a higher chance of catching.

Oh, no, I didn't think of that. Thanks, I might try it.

4 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

As for Razz berries, you can find normal/silver razz beries on route 17. Just search the yellow flowers a lot. They respawn when you exit so you can do it as much as you want.
You can also rarely get golden razz berries in the cerulean cave. When you go on the second floor you'll see these spots with white light, you can sometimes find a golden razz berrie there.

I see, thanks. I've been considering swapping out my Rapidash for a Pokemon that follows me to see if said Pokemon picks up berries, since you can get them that way too. I just love riding my Rapidash though. xP it's my favorite gen 1 Pokemon.

4 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

So do I and I hope that the new 2019 Pokémon game will let us choose which catching mechanic we want to use. 

That would be ideal. I don't really mind the GO mechanics in general, I just think catch rates ought to be a bit higher. Strangely, I had little trouble catching the birds though. Oh, also, program shinies to stick around longer so there's less of a chance of them running away. I'm glad the shiny Zubat I found in Cerulean Cave didn't run. I evolved it, now I have a pretty good shiny Golbat to use when I want. :) Another thing, once you use a berry, its effect should last the whole encounter, not just until the Pokemon breaks out of the ball. Also, the Pokemon should not run immediately after you use a berry. This infuriates me because it's caused me to waste several berries. It's literally a WASTE.

7 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Pinsir is a very rare 1% encounter and people have said that it sometimes took them up to an hour to catch. I was just really lucky to catch one very quickly and without much issue.

Yeah, I actually later looked that up and you're right. I think it took me at least an hour to finally find one myself. I did though!