Book III Opens: December 2018 (Speculation + Discussion)

Coolmanio

11 minutes ago, Silverly said:

I don’t think Book 3 will come any later than Tuesday. By that time, the Fire and Ice banner is supposed to end so we should anticipate a new banner to coincide with it. It’s likely we’ll also have a Feh channel on Sunday or Monday.

My fingers are still crossed for Sunday, and you're right about the banner - it'd be efficient to just launch Book 3 alongside the new banner in my opinion, but we'll see.

It's already been mentioned, but I'm also mindful that Tap Battles are ending in two days and we don't have another hidden in the data as we normally do, so I had been hoping for a FEH Channel in time for a Saturday update, which seems unlikely now (assuming the "two days in advance" rule is still in effect).

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2018 at 12:04 AM, silveraura25 said:

Firesweep is cancer that shouldn't exist.

I've seen talk of maybe CC refines, but that wouldn't sit well with some people

It doesn't sit well with me because it's mostly useless and doesn't address the actual problem with daggers.

The problem with daggers is that they die when they get hit. Close Counter doesn't help them not die when they get hit. Sure, it opens up the A slot for a defensive skill, but the fact that Flora gets +20 Def for initiating combat and actually needs a good chunk of that buff shows that most defensive A-slot skills simply don't cut it.

The dagger units that do well in the current meta (i.e. with only rudimentary support) are the ones that actually don't die (Flora and Halloween Kagero) and the ones that don't fight at all (the dancers).

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It doesn't sit well with me because it's mostly useless and doesn't address the actual problem with daggers.

The problem with daggers is that they die when they get hit. Close Counter doesn't help them not die when they get hit. Sure, it opens up the A slot for a defensive skill, but the fact that Flora gets +20 Def for initiating combat and actually needs a good chunk of that buff shows that most defensive A-slot skills simply don't cut it.

The dagger units that do well in the current meta (i.e. with only rudimentary support) are the ones that actually don't die (Flora and Halloween Kagero) and the ones that don't fight at all (the dancers).

This is why I am suggesting a reversed kinda Dragon Breath additional refine effect to the allready existing refines of daggers. As in if the Foe is a 1 Range attack unit the damage the dagger unit suffers is calculated based on their higher stat of RES/DEF (this includes when fighting dragons).  It would add a bit more bulk to them when attacking DC units and it allows them to focus on one defense stat + Close Counter can become then in handy for them on certain builds.

I'm thinking Book III's first banner is going to be Marth Land. We got a Gharnef GHB, and five of the seven weapon upgrades/refines this month are for Archanea characters; it seems likely to me that that hints at the next banner. I'm probably wrong, but I hope I'm not.

Reposting this here because the FEH Channel thread is swamped with other topics like male/female representation and other flame wars and please laugh at my jokes so I feel important:

Huh. So is the story that we're going into Hel with Loki to save Sharena's soul? How weird. I just played Bayonetta 2 a week ago and it has the exact same plot...

On 12/6/2018 at 2:59 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Festival!Xander actually has good defense and can go toe-to-toe with most bows, other daggers, and if he runs his natural Close Counter, most physical threats as well.

And Felicia is basically unkillable and undoubleable from enemy mages.

3 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Festival!Xander actually has good defense and can go toe-to-toe with most bows, other daggers, and if he runs his natural Close Counter, most physical threats as well.

And Felicia is basically unkillable and undoubleable from enemy mages.

Xander has trouble against common dragons and the increasingly more common tome users running Duel skills. His Def may be high, but he can also be worn down by Bold Fighter due to his lack to weapon triangle advantage, and he cannot initiate combat well due to his abysmal Spd.

Felicia drops dead to any physical unit or dragon with Distant Counter.

The problem is that the two of them are extremely lopsided in their defensive stats, meaning they are very limited in the opponents they can safely face and limits their usefulness to game modes where you can preview the opponent's team.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Xander has trouble against common dragons and the increasingly more common tome users running Duel skills. His Def may be high, but he can also be worn down by Bold Fighter due to his lack to weapon triangle advantage, and he cannot initiate combat well due to his abysmal Spd.

Felicia drops dead to any physical unit or dragon with Distant Counter.

The problem is that the two of them are extremely lopsided in their defensive stats, meaning they are very limited in the opponents they can safely face and limits their usefulness to game modes where you can preview the opponent's team.

Alright, fair. But what if you don't need to worry about having to tank because you use Desperation and have good offenses? Like Sothe, Ylgr, NY!Takumi, Kagero, Spring!Kagero, Legault, Kaze, Halloween Sakura...

well this is a certainly interesting path to take this story. It's definitely different and I'm not sure how to feel about that. though based on the limited knowledge we have atm I'm gonna remain cautiously optimistic cause who knows this might actually be good. Also it appears kozaki is doing character design again. I mean I can't say for sure but it certainly does look like his style. 

Edited by Otts486

I'm honestly really enjoying Book 3's story so far.

Hel and Eir are already a more interesting subplot than Fjorm and Surtr ever were. Alfonse and Gustav's conversation was actually pretty good, and I imagine this will lead to some good character development for him. Also nice that Gustav and Henriette are getting a little spotlight time before stuff goes down.

I'm glad they're not rushing to get to the eventual deaths we know are coming.

35 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Alright, fair. But what if you don't need to worry about having to tank because you use Desperation and have good offenses? Like Sothe, Ylgr, NY!Takumi, Kagero, Spring!Kagero, Legault, Kaze, Halloween Sakura...

A unit with Desperation still needs to worry about tanking their first round of combat and furthermore needs to worry about actually being able to kill subsequent opponents in two hits because Desperation doesn't prevent counterattacks; it simply delays them.

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

I'm honestly really enjoying Book 3's story so far.

Hel and Eir are already a more interesting subplot than Fjorm and Surtr ever were. Alfonse and Gustav's conversation was actually pretty good, and I imagine this will lead to some good character development for him. Also nice that Gustav and Henriette are getting a little spotlight time before stuff goes down.

I'm glad they're not rushing to get to the eventual deaths we know are coming.

Indeed, sucked for Gunnthra to die before we even got to know her. Let her death be rather meh. At least we got a glimpse of the protagonists’ parents a little bit at least, and we know quite a lot of them the short time they’ve appeared 

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I quite like the king. He and Alfonse have an interesting chemistry. He doesn't seem too keen on Sharena though.

Oof poor Fjorm. The story kinda acts as if she doesn't exist.

I think it's more or less just typical "eldest son bias". It's not that he doesn't care about Sharena, but Alfonse is the one with bigger shoes to fill so he's going to rail on him more.

As for Fjorm, I pretty much expected this. Her role in the story is pretty much over, at least as a major character. Honestly, having her relegated to the sidelines might help keep the focus a little less cluttered.

Edited by Sentinel07

So, this is the first book where I actually started reading the story. We get to see the characters from the trailer, and also Henriette and Gustav - I've got a feeling the trailers already spoiled the story for us. Looks like the book will be focused mostly around Alfonse. The biggest problem so far is Eir, her reasoning for why she wants to join our forces is not explained at all, and I'm on Anna's side on this one: she needs to have a good reason why she wants to fight on the enemy's side. This is not how it works Eir, you can't just expect them to trust you.

As for Eir as a unit, she's having Gen2 stats, and actually not terribly balanced -  good focus on speed and resistance with a decent attack. Oddly she comes with no superboon, but Hp and Def has both superbane - not that I want either of them, so a neutral Eir will be good enough. The best thing about her is probably Mystic Boost, which negates some troublesome skills and also heals the user. Not amazing, but I already see her role in the army.

11 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

So, this is the first book where I actually started reading the story. We get to see the characters from the trailer, and also Henriette and Gustav - I've got a feeling the trailers already spoiled the story for us. Looks like the book will be focused mostly around Alfonse. The biggest problem so far is Eir, her reasoning for why she wants to join our forces is not explained at all, and I'm on Anna's side on this one: she needs to have a good reason why she wants to fight on the enemy's side. This is not how it works Eir, you can't just expect them to trust you.

As for Eir as a unit, she's having Gen2 stats, and actually not terribly balanced -  good focus on speed and resistance with a decent attack. Oddly she comes with no superboon, but Hp and Def has both superbane - not that I want either of them, so a neutral Eir will be good enough. The best thing about her is probably Mystic Boost, which negates some troublesome skills and also heals the user. Not amazing, but I already see her role in the army.

Her reasoning is explained, as Hel told her to join them and gain their trust. However yes, she clearly didn't have much of a plan to convince them.

Alright, so I'm curious as to how this will go, as I only just read the story.  True to my username, spoiler tagging my post to be safe, since the topic isn't.

Spoiler

It looks like Sharena is probably out for most, if not all of the entire book.  Honestly, I'm itching for the Breidablik to have meaning in all of this somewhere since Book 3 is taking place in the dead realm.  The name is shared with a hall in Asgard from Norse myth, and IIRC, the lore in Heroes mentions that Breidablik can revive fallen heroes. I don't know if that ability is exclusive to non-Zenith characters or not, it wouldn't shock me either way though.

Another thing is I wonder if Alfonse will succeed in bringing Sharena back.  If Heroes decides to stay dark he may only succeed in making sure his sister goes to a better place, which I hope doesn't happen, but hey.  Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.  It kind of bugged me that Sharena never had much development, and killing her this book justifies why.  I really hope she does get brought back, gets some good development, and doesn't end up being motivation fodder for Alfonse's character.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Spoiler Alert said:

Alright, so I'm curious as to how this will go, as I only just read the story.  True to my username, spoiler tagging my post to be safe, since the topic isn't.

Reveal hidden contents

It looks like Sharena is probably out for most, if not all of the entire book.  Honestly, I'm itching for the Breidablik to have meaning in all of this somewhere since Book 3 is taking place in the dead realm.  The name is shared with a hall in Asgard from Norse myth, and IIRC, the lore in Heroes mentions that Breidablik can revive fallen heroes. I don't know if that ability is exclusive to non-Zenith characters or not, it wouldn't shock me either way though.

Another thing is I wonder if Alfonse will succeed in bringing Sharena back.  If Heroes decides to stay dark he may only succeed in making sure his sister goes to a better place, which I hope doesn't happen, but hey.  Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.  It kind of bugged me that Sharena never had much development, and killing her this book justifies why.  I really hope she does get brought back, gets some good development, and doesn't end up being motivation fodder for Alfonse's character.  :facepalm:

Spoiler

I don't think they will ever go so far to kill one of the main characters. Would be stupid too, imho. Also, Sharena is just too wholesome to be a plot device for the developement of Alfonse :D That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Alfonse go super-edgy-berserk, slaughtering everything he sees.

Honestly, this is the first book that has a rather interesting story. Book I was pretty much a long prologue, getting to know the heroes and mcs, while Book II was pretty generic, with all the "tyrant ruler invades poor innocent kingdom" stuff. This however - even though some clichés - seems good so far. The new characters do seem interesting, although their motivation is a bit foggy yet which means it's totally not known. Will probably learn more about them in the upcoming chapters. I hope, at least...

2 hours ago, Sweet Summer Tana said:

Nnnnh, finally a hot dad again. Loving him and his relationship with the kids. Hopefully this family gets good/decent writing. 

They were probably introduced to be killed off. Question is if they'll be revived like Sharena or not. 

1 hour ago, Thane said:

They were probably introduced to be killed off. Question is if they'll be revived like Sharena or not. 

Since its a Fire Emblem story the parents should be happy they made it through this many scenes without dying. Its not uncomon for FE dads to die in their first scene or before even getting screentime.