Book III Opens: December 2018 (Speculation + Discussion)

Coolmanio

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I quite like the king. He and Alfonse have an interesting chemistry. He doesn't seem too keen on Sharena though.

I guess Gustav have higher expectation for Alfonse being the next king. And he don't take kindly to Alfonse running around with the Order of Heroes when he can do more princely duties.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story starts out pretty strong and judging from the trailer they at least have a interesting direction to go on. I'm still a bit cautious with too much praise though. Part 2 started promising as well and that turned out to be an extremely boring slog.

I do really like how the king and queen look. Especially Henriette who looks like a lady that can have a lot of fun.

TL;DR since I discussed it more in depth in the other topic:

• I love Gustav('s design)
  • Henriette('s design) is adorable
  • Lif and Thrasir look dumb
  • Hel('s design) is cool and I'm glad she's a woman
  • I like Eir('s design) quite a bit and she's a fun unit
  • The story is serviceable and the writing is, shall we say, lackluster, but as long as it's not indecisive like book 2, I'll be fine with it

All in all, angsty book 2 with designs for the enemies I find less appealing on the whole.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Reposting this from the Feh channel topic because I wasn't entirely sure where it goes:

I kind of wish the two founders of the realms (meaning Askr and Embla, can't actually spell their names) didn't look so much like their descendants... It makes sense, but it's a bit confusing... They're actually the most interesting of the new characters, because to get into Hel's realm, one either has to die a death not in battle or not be worthy as a warrior, or, in more recent interpretations, live a dishonorable life. Yet these two were honorable enough to get into the history books, and are clearly powerful in battle. So I'm wondering what exactly they did in life that made them become soldiers of Hel in death...

It's also interesting because it's one of the few times in the series where the legendary heroes from thousands of years ago play a major role in the main story (the only other examples being Forseti and Athos, since Marth wasn't considered a legendary hero at the time of his story, and didn't do anything major by the time he was one; Nagi also might fit here, but considering the lore, she's debatable, and her appearances are mostly optional anyway). Definitely the first time they're clearly not on the player's side (although the Dragon King in FE9 and FE10 did fight against the player, but only because he wanted to protect his country rather than out of malice and spent the entirety of the first game as a neutral character; Lehran also fought against the player from the same series, although it was only out of sheer desperation, and he joins the player directly after that, assuming his recruitment conditions are fulfilled; he is also neutral throughout most of both games up until his fight, and he can get forgiven and spared for what happened on top of that)...

Is anyone else also kind of annoyed that Hel is evil here? It seems like every single depiction based off of Norse mythology has her be completely evil, but in the original Norse mythology, she was a neutral character (unless I'm not remembering correctly)...

Does anyone think that Loki still isn't really that loyal to Hel? She hasn't done anything to really cement her allegiance, or express much desire to be loyal to the realm of the dead... Of course, it could be because it's the beginning of the story, but I wouldn't put it past Loki to be simply playing around with Hel too...

53 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Lif's Sokkvabekkr is quite lenient able to work 3 spaces away from an ally. If only some previous bond skills could work at at a large distance. I'm looking at you LegLyn.

It will be great if they can increase all requirements and effects to 3 spaces away. Dagger can do their jobs better, Gravity would be real fun, Bonds and Owls can now be offensive, Savage Blow would be more savage, and Threatens will finally be viable.

So, Lif's color is blue and Th...something (Thrasir?)'s color is red. Hel's color is purple. I wonder if Lif and Thrasir were originally her children before they sought out the power of Askr and Embla (and created a pact with the dragons, which only the royal families can do and now this is Dragalia Lost.) I keep thinking book 4 will introduce Embla and Askr (the dragons) and maybe we'll get to meet Nifl and Muspell, too (also the dragons.) Could very well be that Hel used to rule the world, and Lif, Thrasir, and the first rulers of Nifl and Muspell got tired of it and decided to fight back, but were no match for Hel. And so, they sought out the help of dragons, and with their power, drove her into the underworld and sealed her off forevermore...until adventure-happy King (then prince) Askr (Sharena and Alfonse's dad; forgot his name), chasing down legends of the past, accidentally released her again into the land of the living by opening a portal to the underworld (perhaps, in an attempt to resurrect his own father, because when he died, he didn't feel ready to be king, much like Alfonse doesn't yet.) The battle was difficult, but in the end, the new King of Askr was able to drive her forces back (perhaps even using trickery), and put a barrier over the open gate. For after releasing such a terror, the ruler of Embla refused to help, claiming that it was Askr who released such a terror, and so Askr would have to pay the consequences. Hel never forgot, and given the destruction the careless prince caused, saw him as rightfully hers, and has been eagerly waiting to claim him and bring him to her realm ever since. The barrier would weaken one day, after all. No one escapes death.

@Mercakete or it could be that Hel is also a dragon. Looking at her and Eir, Eir looks more human. Plus she IS sharing the name of her country. And what do the Heroes' dragons do? All share the name of the country they sponsor. If anything, I'd guess this is a redux of Fates:Revelavations in that case. We'd have to see more of the story, though

26 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

or it could be that Hel is also a dragon. Looking at her and Eir, Eir looks more human. Plus she IS sharing the name of her country. And what do the Heroes' dragons do? All share the name of the country they sponsor. If anything, I'd guess this is a redux of Fates:Revelavations in that case. We'd have to see more of the story, though

Nothing I said discounted her being a dragon, but it's already been said that Lif created a pact with Askr the dragon to found the country of Askr, and that Askr, Embla, Nifl, and Muspell all have close ties with the royal family of the respective countries. Hel could've been the catalyst that caused the first rulers to call on the power of the dragons to fight her off. This set of events that led to the founding of the four countries could have even been Ragnarok, given the real-world myth surrounding Lif and Thrasir, and given the powers of Askr and Embla, "repopulating the world" could be interpreted in the game as "calling on heroes and bringing them in to fight Hel." Maybe there used to be another summoner, too. Briedalblik (or however you spell it) existed before the events in Heroes, after all.

As for the Fates comparison, I don't have a point of reference (and don't want spoilers) since I've never played them.

2 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Lif's Sokkvabekkr is quite lenient able to work 3 spaces away from an ally. If only some previous bond skills could work at at a large distance. I'm looking at you LegLyn.

i think the drawback here is that it hurts another unit. Though i am intrigued by those new weapon conditions, but its clearly they will be only underworld weapons that work that way it seems. They draw/consume from some other source to get their power. Eirs weapon deals 4 damage to herself (because she prolly doesnt want to hurt other people and is thus drawing from herself).

Oh! I just realized something else! The emblem on King Askr's chest (partially obscured by his cloak, iirc) is the same symbol on Surtr's shoulder guards. I wonder if that was the symbol of the four dragons, or maybe of the four heroes who first called on said dragons' strength, passed down through the four royal lines, though long-forgotten that they symbolize unity in adversity.

8 hours ago, Thane said:

They were probably introduced to be killed off. Question is if they'll be revived like Sharena or not. 

He already has had more screen time than some other FE dads so I'm not too greedy. Gimme a scene where he's more of a softie, then a cool death scene and I'm more than happy.

Also, finally some good music. Anyone know which band that is?

11 hours ago, coldhand25 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't think they will ever go so far to kill one of the main characters. Would be stupid too, imho. Also, Sharena is just too wholesome to be a plot device for the developement of Alfonse :D That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Alfonse go super-edgy-berserk, slaughtering everything he sees.

Honestly, this is the first book that has a rather interesting story. Book I was pretty much a long prologue, getting to know the heroes and mcs, while Book II was pretty generic, with all the "tyrant ruler invades poor innocent kingdom" stuff. This however - even though some clichés - seems good so far. The new characters do seem interesting, although their motivation is a bit foggy yet which means it's totally not known. Will probably learn more about them in the upcoming chapters. I hope, at least...

Spoiler

I look forward to his rage at Eir since my prediction is that her betrayal gets Sharena killed, only for her to regret her actions and go back to the Order of Heroes to help revive her. Maybe that's the reason he (and Anna) lets her live!

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

Eirs weapon deals 4 damage to herself (because she prolly doesnt want to hurt other people and is thus drawing from herself).

Not to mention that instead of debuffing the nearest ally, her personal Skill heals whichever ally needs it most (and can't heal herself). A neat way to highlight her different personality and worldviews (if her Level Up quotes are honest) in her skillset and a neat way to reference her being a god of healing and valkyrie (since she's on a pegasus)!

@Mercakete: I love you theories! You weren't kidding!

Eir- Noble, beautiful, sad.  Merciful death, indeed she brings that to those unfortunate who suffer a fate worse such as chronic crippling uncurable disease or pain or some other condition.  Where death isn't something to be feared but a welcome relief.  She loves her mother very much, perhaps Hel suffers greatly for some reason and though she may seem cruel it is more due to hurt and a painful past.  Involving..........maybe Gustav?  The movie hints she will turn on her own mother, she will grow very fond of her allies in the living world.  Gives me Katarina vibes.

Hel- Cold, distant very fitting for the ruler of the realm of the dead.  Wonder what her relationship is to Loki in Heroes.  

Lif and Thasir- We don't get too much on them other than they are the founders of the Askr and Emblian empires.  Why are they in this 'bad place'?  What sins did they commit?  Did their power and conquering come at a price?  

Henriette- Very motherly, nurturing, friendly.  Looks like an older Sharena, and is a counter to the very serious all business Gustav

Gustav- Old Hector vibes here.  He sees the big picture, and his carefree passions and haste disappeared to some tragic event in his past.  What could it be?  Involving Hel?  Was it something else?  He only put a barrier by the tomb 20 years ago.  Did Hel only come into existence then?  

Loki teasing Veronica is precious as always.  Veronica I guess knows that she can't defeat/kill Loki.  Good they mentioned Bruno right away, I think we will finally get a resolution to his quest.  Since Askr can not close realms, they need Veronica if they want to shut out the death realm permanently.  They will team up I believe eventually.  Maybe with Bruno and Veronica cured of their cursed blood.

Very promising start, and more text/writing.  I hope future story chapters are as enticing and full.

30 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

For some strange reason I wonder if Lif and Thasir glowing parts are like gelatin? I don't want to eat Thasir I swear.

Probably magic stuff, but it reminds me of ballistics dummies, which are made to mimic the human body for weapons testing. They're made of ballistics gel, and have a (fake, but anatomically accurate) skeleton inside, as well as organs with dyes in them to mimic bleeding when struck.

5 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

For some strange reason I wonder if Lif and Thasir glowing parts are like gelatin? I don't want to eat Thasir I swear.

I'm thinking it's just transparent stone or something

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Gustav is a more interesting father than FE6 Hector, FE6 Eliwood, Cornelius, Fado, Albert. Fight me. 

Well, it's not like it's hard to accomplish that, lol. As much as I love some of these dads, I can't argue against you. Especially Fado, Cornelius and FE6 Hector have so little screentime that Gustav has already more characterisation now than they have ever had.

Which reminds me, I want Vigarde. Love him and his design. Since he's a zombie in canon, he would fit well in Hel. In fact, now is the perfect time to introduce some characters who die during the canon games.

Actually, it's not the beloved parents I believe will die SPECULATION!

I think the order of heroes is next while I know that Hel is trying to invade askr, think about it she said in Xenologue 4 that the order was her next task to kill. And the story might not focus on Alfonse it might take the focus of Eir who will fight against her mother and all of Hel, she might just also probably try to find a way to revive them...

But can they use Valhalla twice?

A kingdom of the heavens might be good and a queen who counteracts Hel and Eir but they help them.