Old pokemon memories?

Hanes

Just say some old memories you have of pokemon. (I'm being real nostalgic here and I want to get back in the franchise but for some reason I can't and it's a shame)

One of my early memories where that I thought the Team Rocket gurnts had socks in Crystal they were just white socks on a rocky mountain, made sense.

I also remember the grunt battle theme was perfect so once my cousin got far into the game and was fighting the grunts and I was humming the song and he told me he would turn of the GBA if I didn't shut up and that he hadn't saved (It was like on the slowpoke well but that was super far for me) so I just stopped humming the tune. That's blakcmali.

beating the emerald elite four and champion well charging my gameboy advanced. i felt pretty satisfied by that.

also, pokemon mystery dungeon red. the game hasnt aged that well honestly but i still enjoy due to childhood nostalgia.

1 minute ago, NobodiePichu said:

beating the emerald elite four and champion well charging my gameboy advanced. i felt pretty satisfied by that.

also, pokemon mystery dungeon red. the game hasnt aged that well honestly but i still enjoy due to childhood nostalgia.

Yeah beating the elite four on old games is always nice

Getting my trio of pinkies in Pokémon Blue was my first goal at the tender age of 5!
Clefable (Metrónomo), Wigglytuff(Globita) and Chansey (Enfermera)!

But something that I'll never forget, is how easy Whitney (I love her!) was for me when everybody else was losing their mind about her Miltank. Just using Bayleef, Carmencita was her name, with Reflect, Poison Powder and Growl was easy peasy! And I was 6 years old.

5be4fe687eb6b_WhitneyKart.png.5a8149faa487c9ccb6273dd06fb6971c.png

This was one of my oooooold drawings with Whitney on it.

1 hour ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Getting my trio of pinkies in Pokémon Blue was my first goal at the tender age of 5!

But something that I'll never forget, is how easy Whitney (I love her!) was for me when everybody else was losing their mind about her Miltank. Just using Bayleef, Carmencita was her name, with Reflect, Poison Powder and Growl was easy peasy! And I was 6 years old.

OOOOOOLD drawing and it looks that good? Wow. Also those nicknames are adorable! I remember never naming my pokemon because I wanted everything neat and organized with their original names, probably why I'm so bad at making names.

I remember getting lost in the Fall City sewers in the original Pokemon Ranger, and my mum helped me navigate them. Also the fact that we won this copy in an Ebay bidding war, hahah.

Also, finally beating Cynthia, like, literally the last minute before I had to leave for school in Diamond.

My first shiny encounter will be one I always remember(discounting the red gyarados of course) I was staying over at my cousin’s house one day and I woke relatively earlier than most people. So being the bored child I was I put my cousin’s fire red cartridge in my gameboy and fired it up. Don’t remember exactly why but I went running through the power plant(I think it was because he had a tough time catching an electebuzz the day prior and I wanted to try to catch one for him). So after a little bit of running around the place and finding no electebuzz I run into a blue voltorb. I was stunned when I first saw it because I had already played crystal and knew of the “specialness” of different colored Pokémon. A couple tosses of various pokeballs later and the rare creature was mine. Estatic I informed my cousin who was like half awake and we shared a moment of excitement over the my rare catch. I actually still have the electrode the voltorb became my cousin gave me his games after his interest for the series fell off.

Oh boy. You made me remember something good that make me sheepish.

First pokemon game I ever had, Blue Version, I was very, very young, think about not even 8 ? Anyway. I finished the game. How ?
With only my starter, that I forgot who it was, some canon fodder for healing (that's kind of creepy that I basically thought of them as such at the time...), and the three legendary birds, who, unlike my starter weren't leveled enough, I think they were still in the 50.
Needless to say, after a big deal of tries, I achieved it. With what I can identifies as good luck.
Ah, I just remember how freaked out I was after Lancer. Sheesh, that now that got my heart and blood pumping.

Such good time, when a game does that to you, you know you are living a good moment.. And after that, Mewtwo's cave, during the night, in my bed, while my parents were sleeping. Man, I miss my childhood !

And yes, I did most the game with only my starter and SC slaves.

Few years later, I tried to do the same with the second gen, without legendaries, they were too well hidden for my childish mind, with Chikorita, aka, punching bag pokemon. Worst mistake ever even though he was the cutest thing ever. Didn't success, I was only able to go to Lancer before he kicked my ass.
t was kind of at this moment I thought 'hmm maybe I should play smarter'. and replayed the games.

Few years later, third gen came out, and I tried to solo for the heck of it, and lack of playing times, I actually achieved it, because Blaziken was just that badass. And the game might have a few issues because I clearly remember he was level 70ish.
I had a hard time with the twins psy arena champion though. It was probably on purpose.

Edited by B.Leu

Oh man, I had a lot of childhood memories with Pokemon.

I'll start with the slightly tragic memory that I'm sure a couple of others have experienced. When I visited a cousin's house, I brought my copy of Blue with a bunch of high level, trained Pokemon. Of course, the first thing they do is start a new file and save over it. I was distraught, but hey I guess it means I can enjoy the game all over again. Plus since I know the game so well, I can make better choices ^^;;;

On a more positive note, before Gold and Silver came out in English, I managed to get a Japanese copy during a car boot sale or something. It turned out to be a bootleg, but it worked and that was the most important thing. It was so amazing playing the game before everyone else and I loved all the improvements so much, like the game being in colour, day and night cycle, Special Attack and Defense split, etc.

That said, since the game was in Japanese, I didn't understand everything. Still, I did beat the game and make my way to Kanto. Which was mind-blowing for me as a kid. Honestly, I don't think any other postgame has matched it since. Anyway, I was doing so well, until I got stuck at Snorlax. I had literally no idea how to proceed, until one day I was bored and listened to the radio... then I heard the Poke Flute song. Wait... could it be...

I'll leave it at that : )

2 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I'll start with the slightly tragic memory that I'm sure a couple of others have experienced. When I visited a cousin's house, I brought my copy of Blue with a bunch of high level, trained Pokemon. Of course, the first thing they do is start a new file and save over it. I was distraught, but hey I guess it means I can enjoy the game all over again. Plus since I know the game so well, I can make better choices ^^;;;

I think this one is very common. I had my own game erased my a cousin as well and I vaguely remember it happening to another cousin years earlier. Thats probably why erasing your save file is such a hassle nowadays. 

I remember my older brother borrowing my game boy colour with Pokemon gold and it getting stolen. I wasn't very happy with that news. I was happy to upgrade to Pokemon crystal later though.

I remember my best friend and I being like... 7 or 8, walking to a park near his house, and randomly running into other kids to play Pokemon with, and lots of times where all the neighborhood kids would gather at his house, and we'd all play over the link cables. I was the first to learn about the Missingno glitch, and got to stomp all of them for a few days before I just showed everyone how to do it.

I remember waking up early in the morning on school days to get extra hours in playing Pokemon Stadium so I could tell my friends how cool it was. I also remember staying up way too late playing the minigames when I had friends sleep over.

Plenty of memories of the show. Staying up at friends' houses playing whatever N64 games we felt like that day, sleeping late and worrying we wouldn't wake up early enough to watch the new episodes of Pokemon and Digimon. Ash releasing Butterfree was one of the first big heartbreak moments tied to media in my life, and Charizard vs. Magmar was the hypest shit on the planet. I remember going to like, 4 or 5 separate birthday parties in the second grade where we ALL went to see Pokemon The First Movie, and I remember all of the crazy promotional items when that came out. I ate way too much Burger King trying to get those fake Gold tablets.

And most of all, I remember getting a First Edition Charizard from a local card store, being so excited that I stuck it in my pocket to go bike over to my friend's house to show everyone... only to pull it out of my pocket and find it bent to shit because I didn't keep it in any sort of protective sleeve. I ended up selling that card to a friend up the street for like $15, but thinking what it could be worth now if I didn't royally trash it... It stings a bit. That's a good chunk of student loans I could have paid off with that hunk of cardboard.

Basically, I have a bunch of early Pokemon memories back when gen 1 was exploding. A lot good, some bad. Gen 2 was still big, but the only major memories I have of playing Silver/Gold was building a snow fort at my bus stop and finding all of the Unowns with a friend from school in the dead of winter.

By about the time gen 2 hype died down, all of my friends and I moved onto DBZ, so all of my big memories kind of stopped there.

EDIT: Oh, and I remember the first time ever seeing Pokemon. Just randomly flipping through TV channels, landing on the WB, and seeing the episode where Ash gets Charmander and going "what tf is this". I think the games came out like a week later.

Edited by Slumber

I got my first Pokemon game at age 6, as reward for being such a brave boy as my agnoids or something were removed so I could breathe through my nose. It would be a year or three before I finally beat Pokemon Yellow, but I definitely remember soloing the game with Pikachu. Of course I caught other pokemon and stuck them into my team, but none were leveled up on purpose. And to my credit, Pikachu had a pretty incredible learnset in that particular version of the game. From quick attacking Brock's Onyx to Thunderbolting Lance's dragons, what a team, that Pikachu and me. Between that and the cartoon, you could not convince me Pikachu wasn't the best damned pokemon. Not until I picked up the strategy guide years later that explained all kinds of mechanics to me.

Unfortunately nobody I grew up with owned a link cable, but we did have Pokemon Stadium to stage battles on. So cool getting to see your team depicted in 3D, complete with their moves and goofy names. But the minigames in Stadium were probably the largest source of play time. My favorite was the Metapod game, nobody could beat me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, 1% Critical Hit said:

Amazing drawing :)

When I was really young, like 5 or 6, we had a Pokemon Yellow cart that didn't save because I guess the internal battery ran out. Sometimes I'd play it for a few hours and even though I couldn't progress I just had fun wandering around Viridian Forest leveling up Pikachu to try and evolve it and catching Caterpies and stuff.

It wasn't until much later when I was 13 that I played a Pokemon game (Platinum) all the way through and I had a lot of fun. I remember getting to the elite four underleveled, I beat Aaron and saved, got stuck on Bertha because my team was weak to ground but I didn't want to get sent back and lose half my money, got stuck again on Cynthia, and then finally beat her Garchomp with Giratina.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the most notable for me would be pulling out my first Rapidash card when I was like 10ish. Rapidash was my favorite Pokemon then and still is my favorite gen 1 Pokemon. So I was a happy kid to finally get my favorite!

Also, I should mention that I beat Cynthia with nearly entirely dumb luck. :P Sure, I was counting on the Quick Claw kicking in for my Gastrodon when I used Ice Beam on her Garchomp. But I didn't expect it to also be a critical hit! Holy crap. XD There was also another time I beat her where I used this setup, but the Quick Claw didn't activate right away and Garchomp's Dragon Rush missed twice. lol