California mass Shooting

Jotari

On 11/21/2018 at 6:09 PM, Shoblongoo said:

chartoftheday_14146_the_most_and_least_peaceful_countries_worldwide_n.jpg

aside: i'm not sure of the scale (i'm assuming it's linear, so 2 is twice as dangerous, 3 3x as dangerous, etc), but if i'm being honest i'm amazed that the u.s. is as safe as it is given all the factors involved. while i think we could do much, much better, being less safe than tiny countries (either by population or land area) doesn't really concern me much.

i mean, say we somehow solved our mass shooting problem. that'd bring us down to what...2.2? 2.1? if that?

Edited by Phoenix Wright

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Geek said:

I'm very curious as to what would constitute a "5" on that scale, considering that countries with active wars still going on (Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria) are only in the mid 3's.

They are not in an active world war/continental war yet.

2 hours ago, Phoenix Wright said:

aside: i'm not sure of the scale (i'm assuming it's linear, so 2 is twice as dangerous, 3 3x as dangerous, etc), but if i'm being honest i'm amazed that the u.s. is as safe as it is given all the factors involved. while i think we could do much, much better, being less safe than tiny countries (either by population or land area) doesn't really concern me much.

i mean, say we somehow solved our mass shooting problem. that'd bring us down to what...2.2? 2.1? if that?

2 hours ago, The Geek said:

I'm very curious as to what would constitute a "5" on that scale, considering that countries with active wars still going on (Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria) are only in the mid 3's.

25 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

They are not in an active world war/continental war yet.

Pretty sure it's the Global Peace index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

Which takes crime, engagement in armed conflicts, political stability and level of militarization as its factors. America might be a shit show as far as first world countries go when it comes to crime and monstrously immoral CIA operations, but they're still a first world country, so they're far better than a lot of countries being run by War Lords. Or maybe to phrase it another way, America definitely has a gun problem, but that problem is basically nothing compared to Honduras. The last criteria (level of militarization) in particular probably brings America down much more than it otherwise would be. It's a great list, but it's not a list of safety, it's a list of peacefulness. Israel is a good example of it being misleading in that regard, as they're very heavily militarized and are perpetually at a state of ready war with all of their neighbors yet the country itself is pretty safe when it comes to crime rates.

Edited by Jotari