Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

On a complete side note, though on the topic of first impressions, I think the one real criticism I have for this mode is the fact that we don't have a means of doing "unranked" practice matches for fun.

Besides being beneficial to seeing more maps that other players have made and helping to hone your offense teams, this would also have help pad out the number of replays you'd be able to watch of other players running practice matches against your map.

Also being able to do practice matches against your friends' maps.

A lesser criticism is the slow rate that we get resources out of this mode, both the grails for summoning characters and the resources used to build your boat. If you screwed up by putting too many resources into offense or built the wrong structures, it takes a very long time to re-obtain the resources needed to rectify that, which kind of sucks.

EDIT: And I'm an idiot. I forgot to account for the daily free run in my calculations. I actually have 25 Aether of leeway, and that still does mean that players with 1 higher Aether cost per run will still be unable to get the last run in. That means I can miss something like 5 or so Aether storages this season and still have a chance.

Though I still hope enough people higher up screw up enough.

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s just me or battles are getting harder every day? I’ve lost 2 units today (1 in 2 of my 3 battles) and missed 1 aether structure. 

On the other hand, I’ve got my first kill (altough still a loss) in defense, and the other player couldn’t even reach my aether structures. 

Silly me wasted the free run because I forgot about Aversa's tome doing the Panic effect on my Urdr boosted Owain while I was doing Solid Snake strategies to get to the pots.

Then Veronica just couldn't dent Aversa at all so I lost after that.

At least I finally have a defense win!

28 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

It’s just me or battles are getting harder every day? I’ve lost 2 units today (1 in 2 of my 3 battles) and missed 1 aether structure. 

On the other hand, I’ve got my first kill (altough still a loss) in defense, and the other player couldn’t even reach my aether structures. 

For me, the difficulty of a raid seems to differ between rematch and just selecting raid. I seem to be raided by people who know how to set their maps.

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The higher your Tier, the highest is the amount of Aether you need to use to battle?

The more battles you have done, the higher each battle costs. I don't know if they are gonna cap it eventually. 

I assume that if they cap it, it's going to be an amount that let you play like 3 times a day, like in Arena.

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The higher your Tier, the highest is the amount of Aether you need to use to battle?

Two folks who have done the math for us!

Adjusted my team position a bit. Not sure where it went wrong since the replay was broken but I only knocked out two of their units in my latest defense. Between Supports working in Aether Raids and Replays working I would personally take the Replays any day of the week.

I hope the final scores for the season don't actually favor people who intentionally don't bring a bonus unit once, or let a unit die once (for the -20 score effect to gain an extra run).
It doesn't make sense for a scoring system to favor a imperfect chain of wins.

37 minutes ago, Azuni said:

I hope the final scores for the season don't actually favor people who intentionally don't bring a bonus unit once, or let a unit die once (for the -20 score effect to gain an extra run).

Same here. If those of us who got perfect runs are kicked out of the top 1k rank because of that, it will be quite frustrating. I'm tempted to lower my score tomorrow just in case, but I'm sure over 1k people will end up at 3600. If they did do something about it and I get stuck at 3580 and under 1k rank, I'll be even more frustrated...

Got handed my first loss today to the usual Veronica/Aversa shenanigans.  Some of these defense maps people are coming up with are downright sadistic.  @Ice Dragon mentioned the idea of having a practice/casual mode, and I'd be all for something like that.  If only so I can test out teams and figure out what does and doesn't work without having to waste one of my three daily runs. 

34 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

Got handed my first loss today to the usual Veronica/Aversa shenanigans.  Some of these defense maps people are coming up with are downright sadistic.  @Ice Dragon mentioned the idea of having a practice/casual mode, and I'd be all for something like that.  If only so I can test out teams and figure out what does and doesn't work without having to waste one of my three daily runs. 

There wasnt also a +10 Gunnthra and +10 Fjorm slong? because if so it was maybe my map?

12 hours ago, Johann said:

Doing some calculations, it seems you can still achieve a final score of 3,680 even if you're currently at 1,600 now.

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. I can't believe I delayed my games as long as possible without loosing aether or free matches and haven't spent stones yet, but still managed to mess up twice already. Once by not going for 80 in my first match and again by not upgrading the Aether Amphorae before my first free match and capping at 100 aether instead of going to 102.

I'm at 1200 after 12 matches now, I guess I'll play my free match today and then finally commit to the bonus structures for next week to get the dew for the level 3 amphorae, so I get some more time to ponder if I'm confident enough to drop 20 points on purpose.

Also a big thanks to everyone discussing their strategies here. The insight is always helpful when formulating my own.

3 minutes ago, Azuris said:

I'm at 1200 after 12 matches now, I guess I'll play my free match today and then finally commit to the bonus structures for next week to get the dew for the level 3 amphorae, so I get some more time to ponder if I'm confident enough to drop 20 points on purpose.

1200? How much Aether do you have? I can calculate whether or not dropping 20 points will benefit you or not, though I'm guessing it's automatically better for anybody who can do it

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

1200? How much Aether do you have? I can calculate whether or not dropping 20 points will benefit you or not, though I'm guessing it's automatically better for anybody who can do it

143/150 at the moment. If I play my free match and raise my cap, I'll be at 193/200 tomorrow and would need to play some more.

3 minutes ago, Azuris said:

143/150 at the moment. If I play my free match and raise my cap, I'll be at 193/200 tomorrow and would need to play some more.

Hmmm.. either my math is off, or you can actually get a score of 3,700 if you keep at it. This is weird, I need to check these numbers again

2 hours ago, Azuni said:

If you play perfectly, it looks like you're 1 Aether short of reaching 3,700, meaning for the first season, it's beneficial to lose 20 points somewhere.

However, my own calculator puts me 1 Aether short of where I actually am, so there might be an off-by-one error somewhere that would let perfect play reach 3,700.

Losing either 20 points or 120 points somewhere lets you reach 3,680.

As for "making sense", this is simply what happens when rounding takes place and you can't just do a run of 80% of the cost for 80% of the points. It will balance itself off eventually (though defense losses counting after reaching 4,000 points will become the primary driver for whether a player remains at the top or not).

4 minutes ago, Johann said:

Hmmm.. either my math is off, or you can actually get a score of 3,700 if you keep at it. This is weird, I need to check these numbers again

It's very kind of you to take the time to help me, thank you very much. But if it would take too long I can come up with an decision myself, thats fine. I don't want to take too much of your time.

13 minutes ago, Azuris said:

It's very kind of you to take the time to help me, thank you very much. But if it would take too long I can come up with an decision myself, thats fine. I don't want to take too much of your time.

Well, if there's a way to not only help you but other people too, then I should totally check these numbers out

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you play perfectly, it looks like you're 1 Aether short of reaching 3,700, meaning for the first season, it's beneficial to lose 20 points somewhere.

However, my own calculator puts me 1 Aether short of where I actually am, so there might be an off-by-one error somewhere that would let perfect play reach 3,700.

Losing either 20 points or 120 points somewhere lets you reach 3,680.

As for "making sense", this is simply what happens when rounding takes place and you can't just do a run of 80% of the cost for 80% of the points. It will balance itself off eventually (though defense losses counting after reaching 4,000 points will become the primary driver for whether a player remains at the top or not).

My calculation shows her reaching 3,700 if she plays perfect, with 19 Aether left over, so there's definitely something we're goofing in our math here

edit: I see where my mistake was, and yeah it looks like 3,680 is her top possible score, but with 10 Aether remaining if she plays perfect

Edited by Johann

Been tweaking my defense team as the replays come in and still can't get a real win, but I guess I did end up picking one of the enemy's units. They got sloppy and greedy going for one of my Aether structures. Basically, context leading up is that they fought my Painscilla twice, which ended in them taking a bunch of AoE damage to the team. Then they just brazenly rammed into my Lightning Trap. Makes sense, I guess, since everyone other than Aversa was dead at that point. But then they started smashing Aether structures and it looks like they didn't check to make sure their Fjorm could one-round my Aversa, so she got a pick on a very weakened Loki.

My defense team still struggles to win (as in, I haven't won one match since the first two early on) but the opponent doesn't come clean either. Everyone loses 1~2 units per match which means my B!Veronica+Bride Lyn combo is doing pretty smoothly. I just need to get a Pain+ healer and I'll have a beautiful and extremely cancerous team.