Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

It's fun for a little while, but it isn't long before really just feels like a reskinned and more customizable version of the arena… Not to mention I feel like the rewards are much less useful… I'd rather have ways to strengthen my current units, than have to win around 10 battles in the lower tiers to get one new one that I have to strengthen anyway in order to even be able to use… The ability to use more than four units on team is nice, however, although I wish it wasn't locked behind such hefty requirements… And the lore and music surrounding is awesome as well… It has potential, but it could still be better… Considering the mode is still in its early days, maybe it will be…

Edited by wheelsonfire

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting to get excited. Tomorrow 50 aether stamina comes back to my pool so I can make 4 attacks top. I think getting the top score even in 10 days look impossible, but this season is pure experimentation for me.

Also curious what defense you guys build. There is so many way.

While this mode isn’t perfect, it has a lot of potential!

I’m actually looking forward as to how IS will change things after getting feedback. This mode is certainly a breath of fresh air that can bring back players who got bored 

Edited by Water Mage

45 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

A little tip: the Fortress (D) cannot be destroyed, so you can use it as a obstacle., a wall.

I used it to block off a path with a lava tile next to it.

I done goofed and didn't make a Bolt Tower (D) with the stones they gave me so everyone who fights me has +8 to all stats, whoops

12 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Did get some success for my Aether Keep.

I haven't had full 4 kill wins yet (best I've had timed out), but I'm surprised to see that it's not giving you extra Lift for a successful Defense win. Maybe that only applies above T11 as well?

Trying this out:

ARdefmap1.thumb.jpg.f79676d0d2c59a218ca87ed8688bba7b.jpg

Haven't had anyone challenge it yet to see whether it works or not, but I'm feeling confident. Some thoughts:

• Since Bonus Units get the boost even on a Defense Team, I figured I might as well go all out. It makes Alfonse is better than most +10 units, technically
  • Since the Resources don't really need to be protected, might as well use them as bait. The straightest path is the roughest, and it shouldn't be clean or easy to go around, either.
  • Diggin' this terrain since it has the most obstacles.
  • Catapult is useless half the time and is done after turn 1, so I figure I might as well use it as an extra wall. Also I like how it's facing the wrong way haha
  • Really wish I made a Bolt Tower. I'd probably put it 3 spaces north of the Fortress since it's such a long winding path that it should hit anyone who's there by turn 3.
  • I'd love an option to freely challenge our friends for no cost/reward

Yeah...I can't say I'm any more impressed by this mode than I was when it was first shown off (spoilers: I wasn't impressed then). If the only real thing this rewards are the grails that also aren't doing anything for me, then I feel perfectly content with just pretending that this doesn't even exist and spend my free time elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

Also curious what defense you guys build. There is so many way.

I built traps, Tactics Room, Catapult, Panic Manor, and Cavalry School. I mostly use them as obstacles to funnel players' units through narrow passage ways.

One advice to y'all. Anti-turtling incentives. Too many of my losses come from opponents being able to EP my units with dragons in the first enemy enemy phase

5 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

One advice to y'all. Anti-turtling incentives. Too many of my losses come from opponents being able to EP my units with dragons in the first enemy enemy phase

Time to put my healers to work then I guess.

Based on your replays, do you think it is better to force the player through choke points with your defensive buildings, or do you think it is better to spread your buildings in a checker board pattern to make them waste time knocking them down?

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

I built traps, Tactics Room, Catapult, Panic Manor, and Cavalry School. I mostly use them as obstacles to funnel players' units through narrow passage ways.

I'm thinking next season, with Ursula as a bonus, I'll probably build a ranged cavalry team on Abandoned Castle, just wall up that bottom area and line it with traps. Using the Fountain/Amphorae with traps seems in the middle parts of said wall seems pretty ideal since I imagine most people put the catapult in those middle spots, which'd take out the other structures.

I kinda wish they gradually gave out the 500 Aether Stones, cuz spending them without seeing how the different structures perform (and not noticing the season's Bonus Structure) seems like a common issue.

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Remember that turn limits are a thing in Aether Raids - the raiding party has only 7 turns to take on your team and they may not always have the units needed to take on your team. You can throw together a bunch of stuff that can create chokepoints and such. Even then, similar to Arena Defense, it's easier to prepare for certain team compositions rather than every team composition possible.

Funny thing is that of the 3 wins I got, all of them have at least one dragon unit with 2 of the 3 having a team comp of 3 dragons + 1 support.

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

Time to put my healers to work then I guess.

Based on your replays, do you think it is better to force the player through choke points with your defensive buildings, or do you think it is better to spread your buildings in a checker board pattern to make them waste time knocking them down?

What I'm working on now is forcing them into one area for progression with obstacles in the way. Especially with a low movement unit that can negate follow-up attacks. Gosh, I might just give Effie Miracle. But yeah, healers and watersweep might just be the thing. Especially if you put a mine 2 spaces away from your unit in case of Rein

Here's a thought: should we make a defense replay thread?

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I done goofed and didn't make a Bolt Tower (D) with the stones they gave me so everyone who fights me has +8 to all stats, whoops

I haven't had full 4 kill wins yet (best I've had timed out), but I'm surprised to see that it's not giving you extra Lift for a successful Defense win. Maybe that only applies above T11 as well?

this >.< my Cancer Team would have had a Defense Team if it werent for that. Aversa kinda elevates that a bit, but it sure hindered my +10 solo atk/spd Veronica a fucking Nino by the exactly that amount...

Next time i need to watch out for bonus build seriously...

If you narrow the path Aversa is a top notch defense option with the boons she gets. She will activate her tome on anyone with 61 HP. (ecxept other bonus units).

2 minutes ago, Hilda said:

this >.< my Cancer Team would have had a Defense Team if it werent for that. Aversa kinda elevates that a bit, but it sure hindered my +10 solo atk/spd Veronica a fucking Nino by the exactly that amount...

Next time i need to watch out for bonus build seriously...

If you narrow the path Aversa is a top notch defense option with the boons she gets. She will activate her tome on anyone with 61 HP. (ecxept other bonus units).

Yeah, I've seen a number of my replays fail by those close amounts just because I let everyone else get crazy stats. Sucks that we won't get enough extra stones to build anything else until next season, even with the daily rewards, unless they put in some quests or something.

Really glad they just tell us what the next season's bonuses are. In case you didn't see, it's the Tactics Room.

Yeah, fielding Aversa with an HP build and (in my case) Water Blessing can be huge. Just keeping her out of the way and she'll probably do more than most units ever could (well, this season anyway). I wish next season would have Earth Blessing since Ike's a bonus unit too, and I have Earth blessed Ursula, but I guess I can't have everything.

25 minutes ago, Johann said:

I'm thinking next season, with Ursula as a bonus, I'll probably build a ranged cavalry team on Abandoned Castle, just wall up that bottom area and line it with traps. Using the Fountain/Amphorae with traps seems in the middle parts of said wall seems pretty ideal since I imagine most people put the catapult in those middle spots, which'd take out the other structures.

I kinda wish they gradually gave out the 500 Aether Stones, cuz spending them without seeing how the different structures perform (and not noticing the season's Bonus Structure) seems like a common issue.

Yeah. I am thinking of either simulating the Arena map with walls arranged in a checkerboard pattern or Arena map with vertical parallel bridges.

I went with simulating the latter since that is the Arena map I hate the most.

Spoiler

5MaH1ob.png

16 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

What I'm working on now is forcing them into one area for progression with obstacles in the way. Especially with a low movement unit that can negate follow-up attacks. Gosh, I might just give Effie Miracle. But yeah, healers and watersweep might just be the thing. Especially if you put a mine 2 spaces away from your unit in case of Rein

Here's a thought: should we make a defense replay thread?

So would it better to use the Spring Breeze map then and line column 2 and 4 with buildings and leave the middle two columns empty except for traps?

1 minute ago, XRay said:

So would it better to use the Spring Breeze map then and line column 2 and 4 with buildings and leave the middle two columns empty except for traps?

I haven't tried that theme and am too tired to think. I'll check that tomorrow. What I am using is the lava map and I put my fort all the way to the left to force all grounded unitsto go middle and right. I put the aether things in attack range, but 2 tiles of traps in front of them for eachh. Other buildings next to them

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah. I am thinking of either simulating the Arena map with walls arranged in a checkerboard pattern or Arena map with vertical parallel bridges.

I went with simulating the latter since that is the Arena map I hate the most.

Reveal hidden contents

5MaH1ob.png

That's a pretty clever build and I'd imagine there are people who will get caught up in it. Funny enough, my own catapult is in column 2 so I'd end up taking out that barricade immediately.

I think the stat difference between offense and defense teams is so huge though, even with all these traps and obstacle builds, I can't imagine people making it through a day without a single Defense loss.

I'm liking it so far, my Infantry offense team is working better than I anticipated even so that's a bonus. I'm just mildly annoyed that I forgot to trash the enemy amphora for more Aether. (Hehe...Oops)

For Defense I've set a trio of EP dragons with a dancer on the Bright Grasslands Map, positioning them just shy of the upper right corner with a pseudo wall around them. - which might sound strange on paper, but it seems to throw their Offense off track as far as I can tell. The obstacles are placed so that the enemy needs to scramble to kill the dragons by going around the forest. Horses are in particular slowed down by the forest on the right while the traps and the Panic manor/Bolt Towet cover the left.