Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

Ending at 7280 (7200 if someone hits me today), not even going to bother using today's free match/aether since they don't matter. I feel like that says something if someone avoids playing a game mode when possible.

10 minutes ago, Maaka said:

Still can't decide whether or not to upgrade the defense fortress or keep holding onto my dew in hopes that when they release the aether fountain upgrade, it will cost 1000 dew or something and I will get a small boost before everyone can upgrade it. That or I just buy the offensive fort upgrade and run through everyone since I can hardly control my defense matches.

I'm in the same predicament, the lv3 Fort O would help a lot tanking all those nasty defense maps, so I'm leaning towards that myself.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is painful - I have 6,420 points, but I have 72 aether with 74 required for the next battle.  I didn't lose any battles this week, but one battle will haunt me - it was a nasty map with B!Ike with Lunge and 3 units (small Azura, Eilwood, Reinhardt) all with WoM.  I lost a unit, which itself wasn't a big deal, but I couldn't get any aether from that battle.  So close, and yet so far to Tier 17....

2 hours ago, Maaka said:

Still can't decide whether or not to upgrade the defense fortress or keep holding onto my dew in hopes that when they release the aether fountain upgrade, it will cost 1000 dew or something and I will get a small boost before everyone can upgrade it. That or I just buy the offensive fort upgrade and run through everyone since I can hardly control my defense matches.

I am also in the same boat.  I'm not going to try with Defense until I get to at least Tier 18 or 19, so I'm focusing exclusively on offense.  I have 850 Heavenly Dew myself waiting on either upgrading the Offensive Fortress or the Aether Fountain - whenever it comes.  Right now I am also leaning towards upgrading the Offensive Fortress, but I'm going to hold right now since I'm doing well enough on offense.

I just found a map where they locked a bunch of otherwise scary units behind a wall of structures in the top-most row. I just cleared out all of the traps and had Ophelia snipe down the shooting gallery one by one with three dancers as support.

It looks like I'll end this week at 6,660 and somewhere in rank 2,000-2,200 due to a lot of lazy play.

My defense team has been doing okay. About 30% victory rate and only about a quarter of the challengers are making it out without losing units.

It seems the charm of this mode is lost to most people due to the fact that enemy maps are pretty much all the same, but for me, it's the fact that I'm forced to play this mode every single goddamn day. I'm getting rather burned out.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It seems the charm of this mode is lost to most people due to the fact that enemy maps are pretty much all the same, but for me, it's the fact that I'm forced to play this mode every single goddamn day. I'm getting rather burned out.

I agree. I skipped a day due to being too busy and feeling tired and afterwards, I took an almost two week break due to being demoralized to losing a single day. I used to be within the top 10k but now I'm barely top 100k. 

12 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Here you go:

Thank you very much for sharing this! 71 ATK on Cordelia ... obviously I've invested in the wrong structures. 

Double dancer is great with a GF unit, I had more trouble when I tried my GF team. 

12 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Edit: Bonus video---gods I'm bad at this game. Kappa.

Hide contents

Don't get it. Did you surrender by mistake? 

13 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Edit: Bonus video---gods I'm bad at this game. Kappa.

Did you send them a friend request?

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Thank you very much for sharing this! 71 ATK on Cordelia ... obviously I've invested in the wrong structures. 

Mind my Cordelia has 67 Atk Naturally (61 base + 6 Hone), and it could be 69 if I swapped Slaying from Spd to Atk. I don't bother since speed is also a pretty important stat and I can usually get +2 Atk from Ally Spur she has with Azura if I cared enough about her Atk.

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Don't get it. Did you surrender by mistake? 

Nah, I had a perfect season this week. (Got every pot, lost 0 units). So I was way more than safe for top 3k + getting into T17, so I just surrendered because I fought the guy early enough that it's possible I'd prevent his lift loss today.

I'm 6,680 right now and already had my defense loss for the day.

@XRay I did, but most of the people I've fought recently (the guy included) have their friend's list full.

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I did, but most of the people I've fought recently (the guy included) have their friend's list full.

Aw. Oh well.

Got absolutely hammered on defense this week, lost a whopping 500 Lift from Defense failures-- hit every single day and my Defense team only managed 3 kills across the whole week. Ended with a score of 7100, just short of the next tier. I tried switching my Def map around a bit, but it all ends up the same way; the AI suicides themselves against hard counters, or multiple dancers allow them to sweep the team quickly.

The more I play it, the more I begin to resent this mode and how it makes me dislike everybody else in the game. It's one thing where something like Arena rewards you for having a powerful team composition since (most) other players can (usually) keep trying, but here, your success hinges on making other people fail. Like, not only do I gotta deal with other people's shit maps, but I gotta be a dick to anyone who challenges me, and that ain't cool.

@Ice Dragon Can I see what your defense team looks like? It's Surtr season so I figure I might as well try some bonus unit armors to see how they work on defense.

(And yeah, it's the play twice a day thing that's been annoying me about this mode, too. It's more fun than usual this week since I was styling on people with basically my ideal team, but that can only happen during seasons with dancers.)

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

(And yeah, it's the play twice a day thing that's been annoying me about this mode, too. It's more fun than usual this week since I was styling on people with basically my ideal team, but that can only happen during seasons with dancers.)

Do you need to use both BH!Lyn and Reinhardt? It seems like just one is enough.

4 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

@Ice Dragon Can I see what your defense team looks like? It's Surtr season so I figure I might as well try some bonus unit armors to see how they work on defense.

I'm still running this one from a few weeks back. I haven't tried experimenting with armors on defense yet since the AI is so horrible at using them.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Do you need to use both BH!Lyn and Reinhardt? It seems like just one is enough.

Strictly speaking, I don't---I used only Lyn for all of the first arena season, for example. (Barring one match where giving her +7 speed let her counter-kill Aversa, and I was too lazy to use my default team.)

The thing is having them both means that I hit both def and res, and I can pretty consistently have them give +8/+8 to each other, which is, you know, 20 merges worth of stats. I could kill my +Spd Legault for an Atk Tactic so that I have someone to buff my horses, but honestly I don't care enough about the mode to do that.

Another part is also because my definition of a 'good' team is one team that can handle literally everything a mode throws at them without any changes to skills or unit selection. My main team is that good, but my main team -1 isn't, even if it's 'good enough' to handle everything regardless if I let myself take advantage of the 5 team slots we have for Aether Raid. Yeah, I'll get through the mode, but I won't have fun doing it because: a, I'd be less comfortable with the team, and b, it's not how I like to play.

@Ice Dragon Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Johann said:

Got absolutely hammered on defense this week, lost a whopping 500 Lift from Defense failures-- hit every single day and my Defense team only managed 3 kills across the whole week. Ended with a score of 7100, just short of the next tier. I tried switching my Def map around a bit, but it all ends up the same way; the AI suicides themselves against hard counters, or multiple dancers allow them to sweep the team quickly.

The more I play it, the more I begin to resent this mode and how it makes me dislike everybody else in the game. It's one thing where something like Arena rewards you for having a powerful team composition since (most) other players can (usually) keep trying, but here, your success hinges on making other people fail. Like, not only do I gotta deal with other people's shit maps, but I gotta be a dick to anyone who challenges me, and that ain't cool.

I kinda agree on this, but there needs to be some incentiv for people to design hard "dickish" maps no? We are just too much used to Arena where the AI can be easy baited because there are many varying factors (map layout unit placement etc etc). This isnt the case here anymore, because the constructor can design its map in this way and account for the AI stupitity/priority. I do agree though that Dancers should be limited to 1 per Team.

Edited by Hilda

1 hour ago, Johann said:

your success hinges on making other people fail.

Depends on how you define success. I didn't have a single defence win this season and I still made the top 3k. But if you're trying to be the very best like no one ever was, the increased importance of defence does mean you'll have to be a dick.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

This is basically why I made my defense team a free win, I don’t feel like ruining someone’s day for maybe two grails a week. That plus the fact that only 6 or 7 of those 20 or so fights actually affect me anyway.

3 hours ago, Hilda said:

I kinda agree on this, but there needs to be some incentiv for people to design hard "dickish" maps no? We are just too much used to Arena where the AI can be easy baited because there are many varying factors (map layout unit placement etc etc). This isnt the case here anymore, because the constructor can design its map in this way and account for the AI stupitity/priority. I do agree though that Dancers should be limited to 1 per Team.

I suppose I'd rather see rewarding a Defense win rather than penalizing a Defense loss (though I'm not sure how that would work best). I also think there should be a way for players to make up for failures on their Offenses. Perhaps something like if a Defense win would grant players a chance to retry a failed/bungled map or pass on an opponent without it counting as a surrender. They should also find a way to encourage players to try more diverse Defense teams and terrains, though I think there are simple ways they can handle that like making weekly bonus terrains that reduce the Lift loss on Defense failures.

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Depends on how you define success. I didn't have a single defence win this season and I still made the top 3k. But if you're trying to be the very best like no one ever was, the increased importance of defence does mean you'll have to be a dick.

As players get into higher tiers, barring a change in rules and Aether gains (the latter of which will certainly happen at some point since Tier 21 is mathematically impossible), it'll be necessary to have good Defense results to actually move up to the next tier.

1 hour ago, a bear said:

This is basically why I made my defense team a free win, I don’t feel like ruining someone’s day for maybe two grails a week. That plus the fact that only 6 or 7 of those 20 or so fights actually affect me anyway.

Yes perhaps, excepting whatever value can be gained from watching replays. Also, everyone who has faced me has been bringing things like +10 Lokis and seasonals, so the only person I feel empathy towards is this one person who fielded a 4* Bartre. I want to return their Aether to them somehow.

Man, this mode is way too hard for me.

Having to play every single day, the constant pressure of not making a single misplay or having a single miscalculation on offense, while praying to not get attacked on defense gets to me way too much and takes most of the enjoyment I had at the begining of Aether Raids.

From tier 16 to tier 18 it took 1200 lift, so not only did I need to get the 1600 lift I could get from offense but aren't allowed to lose more than 400 on defense. And after half the season my defense already lost 300 points, so I had to go on to get every single point from offense, while knowing it will most likely be in vain.

And it came down to the last day, I started Sunday with 6920 lift, no protection active and 3 matches left. At some points I actually wanted someone to finally attack me so I would have been done with the season. But 30 minutes before the end of the season It was still the same so I played my games and finished at 7220, barely making tier 18.

4 hours ago, Johann said:

This is really how I feel as well. Every time I get attacked and lose, it's like why did he have to attack me, I really needed those points. And when they loose a unit I am sad, that I just ruined points for him.

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

That is also how I liked to think of it in the beginning. Top 3k is all I ever want, but in later tiers it might be impossible to even get up a tier if your defense doesn't save some points.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yes, exactly this. Getting to tier 18 from tier 16 this week was stressful enough, but now I have to make 1000 lift to even get up a single tier while being pushed around by the top players.

I am so torn between just going casual in this mode and really wanting those grails.

2 hours ago, a bear said:

Do you happen to have a defense team with only Draug and some buildings? That was actually my last match this season and it was such a relief not having to focus this hard for once. That was the nicest thing in Aether Raids this week and it came from a player going against, what Aether Raids wants him to.

Edited by Azuris

3 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Having to play every single day, the constant pressure of not making a single misplay or having a single miscalculation on offense, while praying to not get attacked on defense gets to me way too much and takes most of the enjoyment I had at the begining of Aether Raids.

Having to play everyday for the best results bothers me as well. There are times when I'm busy and don't want to sit down and think carefully about what I'm doing since there are no second chances. At least with Arena/AA I can crank it all out in one day if I need to.

Weirdly, if we can get to Tier 21, it'll be easy since we don't have to worry about rank at all from there. Like, I don't care if my Def team loses at that point since I'll still get max tier rewards, and I imagine it'll be a long time before there's more than 3k people in the highest tier.

7 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Mind my Cordelia has 67 Atk Naturally (61 base + 6 Hone), and it could be 69 if I swapped Slaying from Spd to Atk. 

Yeah, like mine. +4/+4/+4/+4 on all stats means your Fortress had a higher level though. 

, so I just surrendered because I fought the guy early enough that it's possible I'd prevent his lift loss today.

I'm 6,680 right now and already had my defense loss for the day.

But won't you miss that lift next week? 

since I was styling on people with basically my ideal team, but that can only happen during seasons with dancers.)

Can't you replace one dancer with a second GF unit? Ah, you still need a bonus unit ... 

I think I'll go with Hrid or Laevatein next season. 

3 hours ago, Johann said:

As players get into higher tiers, barring a change in rules and Aether gains (the latter of which will certainly happen at some point since Tier 21 is mathematically impossible), it'll be necessary to have good Defense results to actually move up to the next tier.

2 hours ago, Azuris said:

That is also how I liked to think of it in the beginning. Top 3k is all I ever want, but in later tiers it might be impossible to even get up a tier if your defense doesn't save some points.

I don't expect to ever go to tier 19, but even with a dickish defence it will come down to luck as to whether you avoid losing points (I avoided a couple of losses due to nobody attacking me in a day), so I'm hoping my slide will be gradual. 

2 hours ago, Azuris said:

Yes, exactly this. Getting to tier 18 from tier 16 this week was stressful enough, but now I have to make 1000 lift to even get up a single tier while being pushed around by the top players.

I am so torn between just going casual in this mode and really wanting those grails.

I'm going to try to win every match without worrying if I lose any. IMO, you get a decent amount of grails just from the daily bonus + tier bonus, and they aren't that useful without feathers anyway. By all means aim high, but ask yourself if the handful of grails from the ranking bonus is worth putting pressure on yourself.

43 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Nah, past 4k your lift resets to the lowest possible for the tier, IRRC, so it makes no difference. (If it wasn't a freebie map I would've just crushed it normally, though.)

Never realized that. I may distribute some free wins as well next season.