Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last match left me 16 Aether shy of reaching the 101 requirement. Not that it would have mattered, since another victory would have left me about 60 Lift short of T20 with a small window left where someone could take 80 Lift from me.

Starting to face defense teams that are going all in on killing Surtr as well. Faced a PA!Micaiah, Lilina, Axebreaker Caeda and Slaying Hammer+ Helbindi setup, backed up by an instant-Special Ophelia and NY!Azura. They were lined up in such a way that getting attacked by at least two with one refresher in play was inevitable. At least, that's how it was if I wanted to use my full-score setup. I might have been able to run a horse team to defuse it easier, but what's the point if I'm losing 61 Lift from the get go? Anyway, Odin proved how ridiculous he can be by face tanking the side with Caeda and Ophelia. He took 11 + 7 from Ophelia and 1 damage from Caeda, counter-killing Ophelia in the process. From there, their whole team just fell apart.

The second team had a flier blob including flying Ninian, Gronnblade S!Camilla, Lilina, Pain+ Loki; and a Sacred Cowl, Shield Pulse 3, Warding Breath Surtr; all with Tactics buffs. This forced me to swap off of my usual triple Eir setup. What typically happens is I choose one of my configs with has either of Aversa and Odin, based on who will help Surtr deal with crap the best. It's a good thing I kept one with double Eir and both Aversa and Odin in my pocket, because this comp forced me to swap. Was totally worth it, though, as Aversa turned S!Camilla into a joke and Lilina couldn't do enough on her own to be a threat. Despite their Surtr being made to stall, my own Surtr and Aversa made quick work of him, allowing a slow push inward, since the defense was so concerned about protecting that Tactics Room that they basically choke pointed themselves. You know you're a glassy Loki and Lilina when an Odin who's only partially boosted (Def + Res Tactics only) can one-round snipe you.

Managed to finish my last 2 fights safely, so with 14 hours left and 130 lift I can afford to lose I think I'm actually safe for tier 20. I expected to get hit again earlier tonight so I could get hit a second time just before the season closes, but I think I somehow made it. Every fight was 120 lift besides a couple at just 100, so I pulled it off despite only having the free Eir. Some surprisingly decent defense luck was the key, though. That initial success I got was crucial, and then I only got hit 4 times for -80 so far. I got hit bad the last few days, but a better time earlier in the week saved me.

I was also very surprised I managed to get every single aether pot this time. For somebody with no horses and just 1 dancer I didn't think I'd get to reach the tucked away ones every time, but I guess I got lucky.

Maybe with the fountain upgrade and slightly-extended AR week coming up I might actually have a shot at 21, but I dunno. Going from 1200 points to 1600 to advance is still steep. If many people buy the NY bundle with AR stones we could see more lvl 3+1 defense and/or offense forts and that may make consistent offense matches and occasional defenses harder. But on the up side, Eir as the bonus unit(I assume she still will be during that week) means my team flexibility will be up some, so I can bring better teams. Things have been stiff with only 1 slot really having wiggle room for me this past season. Being able to have a team with both Loki + Aversa again will be very helpful.

Edited by Alkaid

Last couple fights for me all had Restore with dancers and super offense units, Guidance, WoM, Dancers, etc. It's a pretty sneaky strategy since it can force units like Legendary Lucina to get the jump on you, and I almost walked right into it. Lucky for me that I didn't need to worry even if I lost people since my rank is assured, but I'm thinking I'll need to expect this a lot more going forward. It can be hard to anticipate what the AI is going to do when it has that many elements moving around in unusual sequences and places.

On 24/12/2018 at 8:24 PM, Johann said:

From my own experience, the 6th slot stays unlocked, it's just that the unit in that slot won't be deployed until you regain Tier 19. You don't have to buy the slot again, you don't even have to set the unit again.

Strangely, I haven't faced anyone with a team of 6 yet, which makes me wonder if there are a lot people who didn't hold onto their stones?

Right on, you never know if that one defense win is what brings you into the next tier

On 24/12/2018 at 10:11 PM, Azuni said:

I was in T19 at the start of this season, and ate a -40 on defense, so I'm technically back in T18. However, it has not locked my 6th slot it seems, the 6th unit still gets fielded at least when I go to test my own defense. Perhaps it only gets locked if you unlock your defense team, or if you start a new season at below T19. I'll find out if it is the former later tonight.

EDIT: A friend just told me he got a new defense replay after already getting hit for the day (so he got knocked below T19) and his 6th unit merely didn't show up for the enemy. So I guess that clears that up.

Thanks for both this information! I will keep  my Aether Stones or thr 6th team slot then.

Managed to sneak by Tier 18 and Tier 19 respectively.

Main account to Tier 18 (after failing last week with 3 wipeouts in a row) was really reassuring, especially because of two things:

-a guy who rematched me had a 3 star Clarine as their defense lead, and lo and behold I was met with the generosity of a 3 star Clarine alone in a desert.

-my very last score-changing defense map was a guy who immediately surrendered, maybe because they already have enough points or something.

In return, now that I'm like, 300 points about the threshold I changed my map to Christmas Cavaliers (including a lv 26 Cain that I'm training with the antlers, an Abel for the OG duo, and Stahl and lv 1 Sully for the Awakening duo). Hope someone finds that fun,

Second account was really tough and very close to just get to the Tier 19 threshold. I almost ruined it with my second last battle, losing 2 units so I was just under the threshold but at least I got both pots so I had 1 more battled to do. Last battle was a bit easier since it was 2 wrazzle dazzle healers with 3 dancers, so I just have Surtr find a chokepoint and slowly whittle them away- much easier than ranged cavs and dancer setups. Also finally biting the bullet and adding a Light Blessing to Veronica made sure I had just enough points in the end. Now the real fun begins where I can have 6 man defense teams....as soon as I replace all the stones I used upgrading buildings...

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

Maybe with the fountain upgrade and slightly-extended AR week coming up I might actually have a shot at 21, but I dunno. Going from 1200 points to 1600 to advance is still steep. If many people buy the NY bundle with AR stones we could see more lvl 3+1 defense and/or offense forts and that may make consistent offense matches and occasional defenses harder. But on the up side, Eir as the bonus unit(I assume she still will be during that week) means my team flexibility will be up some, so I can bring better teams. Things have been stiff with only 1 slot really having wiggle room for me this past season. Being able to have a team with both Loki + Aversa again will be very helpful.

I'm suspecting that more people would buy the Fountain upgrades first, but yeah you never know, I still see people who have the level 2 pots. That said, I don't think it's possible to have enough stones to upgrade the Fortress (D) and Aether Fountain to 3 if you've already bought the level 3 pots and Fortress (O), even if you spend the $75. Even the highest tier players earning the daily +30 stones would end up short like 60 stones or so.

Just for clarity, each upgrade of the Fountain should earn a Tier 20 player an extra run, which is worth more to your own Lift than whatever you can get in Defense, so someone who opts for boosting their Fortress (D) is doing everybody (including themselves) a disservice.

edit: I misremembered there being 200 stones from the pack when it's actually 400, so yeah those people who buy it are gonna be able to upgrade both the Fountain and Fortress (D)

Edited by Johann

7360 lift for now, next tier is secured. I was a bit worried yesterday, because if I fail today, I am 20 points away from secure, but I had a fun raid instead.

Already built 3 teams for next season, but without the bonus, my defense must also do some work if I want T19.

@mampfoid That Marth I opened not long ago will be perfect here against bonus unit Fae and Robin.

@Garlyle congrats on promoting to the next tier! 

I didn't think of teams yet, but Summer Micaiah will work against Fae, Xander (and Gunter). Really should put Alm on one of my teams. 

If next week isn't light season I won't try to promote to tier 20 anyway. Not sure which bonus unit I'll choose, I became used to Hrid. 

Grima might be a good choice after the update. 

8300 Lift and save in T19. Just concentrating on winning helped. If my Deirdre had Light blessing I would have 8320 Lift. xD But that does not matter.
I am save in T19 and I can just enjoy my AR vacation next week and just use the next season to test some things. 
Also I don't know if I can reach T20 in 2 weeks. I am missing my second Eir and can only go for 140 Lift at maximum. On the good side, 2 ladder tries mean much to me. 

And now I can decide... Ladder or 6th unit. xD

Edited by Stroud

A -80 on defense today means I won't be promoting to 20 this week.  Needed -40 or less and to play perfectly in two matches.  Maybe I can make it work during the extended season. 

@Alkaid I think you matched my defense team today (Would have given me the -80 if someone else hadn't beaten you to it!).  I saw you were promoting either way so I rematched you for fun.  I didn't know Assist-less 2-range units move before 1-range refreshers. =(

3 hours ago, DLNarshen said:

A -80 on defense today means I won't be promoting to 20 this week.  Needed -40 or less and to play perfectly in two matches.  Maybe I can make it work during the extended season. 

@Alkaid I think you matched my defense team today (Would have given me the -80 if someone else hadn't beaten you to it!).  I saw you were promoting either way so I rematched you for fun.  I didn't know Assist-less 2-range units move before 1-range refreshers. =(

Damn, I hope you get better luck in the coming week. Defenses are so fickle in this mode. It was dumb luck I just barely hung on through mine.

And oh that was you! I didn't realize, since I forgot your IGN was different from your forum name. That was a pretty tough map! Sorry about the unit loss, but you creamed my map otherwise!

@Garlyle Welcome to T18!  Way to go!

@Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi Sorry you didn't make T20...  That's brutal to eat a -80 at that critical juncture, @DLNarshen.

@Maaka @Alkaid Congrats on making T20!

@Stroud @Raven Congrats on making T19!  Way to persevere, Stroud!  I'm so happy for you!

@mampfoid Good to see you in T19 - sorry about that loss that might've cost you Top 3K....

I made to T19!  I actually clinched yesterday with 8,300, but Top 3K was still up for grabs.  Today: I won 2 +140 battles with double Eirs!  My final score for this season is 8,520, currently at a rank of 2,507, which shouldn't fall out.  I ate a defense loss of -60 or -80 every single day this week (total loss: 4 -80's and 3 -60's for -500).

I'll buy the 6th defense slot in a couple of days; I want the bonus structure on offense first.  Now like most folks I can relax and test teams before a serious push to T20 in a week.

2 minutes ago, DarkAlf said:

I made to T19!  I actually clinched yesterday with 8,300, but Top 3K was still up for grabs.  Today: I won 2 +140 battles with double Eirs!  My final score for this season is 8,520, currently at a rank of 2,507, which shouldn't fall out.  I ate a defense loss of -60 or -80 every single day this week (total loss: 4 -80's and 3 -60's for -500).

Also grats for you. Making it to T19 and placing in Top 3k is nice, I expect that you should be save. Most players have used their Aether anyway by now. 

I am still thinking about what to build tomorrow. A ladder would make me feel more save. But 6th slot would be nice to experiment with more characters. I like that I can forget this week to rise a tier. So I can take this week to get used to 6 units. Maybe it won't be so bad how I think? 

2 minutes ago, DarkAlf said:

I'll buy the 6th defense slot in a couple of days; I want the bonus structure on offense first.  Now like most folks I can relax and test teams before a serious push to T20 in a week.

The "take a week off" effect is gonna be real nice. Probably the best thing about Mythic blessings

1 minute ago, Stroud said:

I am still thinking about what to build tomorrow. A ladder would make me feel more save. But 6th slot would be nice to experiment with more characters. I like that I can forget this week to rise a tier. So I can take this week to get used to 6 units. Maybe it won't be so bad how I think? 

Since your chances of getting to T20 this upcoming week is practically zero, I wouldn't worry about Defense too much. Things can get much trickier in T19 since you're usually up against 6 enemies, so the ladder is a very good early investment. You'll get 280 more stones after the week is through anyway, so it's probably not a big deal to wait on that 6th slot

Got 8480 in the end. Today i messed up badly and wasted my second ladder, and blew the match after that too. Ended with a +140 which is now at 2704 or something. Hope i make the cut. 

I have my sixth unit already and a second ladder. Will be going for fortress upgrade next and coming weeks bonus structure.

15 minutes ago, Johann said:

Since your chances of getting to T20 this upcoming week is practically zero, I wouldn't worry about Defense too much. Things can get much trickier in T19 since you're usually up against 6 enemies, so the ladder is a very good early investment. You'll get 280 more stones after the week is through anyway, so it's probably not a big deal to wait on that 6th slot

True, ladder sounds reasonable. Also makes offensive a bit more relaxing with knowing that I have one more backup. If I just had a second ladder this week I would have maybe scored a bit better. And I can wait for another 1-2  weeks anyway for 6th.

Edited by Stroud

Congrats to everyone who advanced!

Finished the week off at 9860 lift. Lost 400 total on defense throughout the week and lost one unit due to a crazy instant black luna set up. Also missed a few aether structures because I was being lazy, so ended with 104 aether and needed 108 to do another match. Could have been 10020 lift, but it doesn't matter much in the end.

@DarkAlf @Stroud Don't give up on T20 this next week just yet. It may be hard, but if you can play perfectly on offense, you can still get 1400 lift. That leaves 200 lift to lose on defense. If you have some confidence in your defense (and your luck in dodging attacks), you can still make it. Only 3 people may have made it from T19-20 last week, but that was with all the top tier players in T19. There are far more people in T19 now and a lot of them may be relaxing this next week or may just not have the units they need for your defenses, so you may get some good defense matches this week. At least don't give up on it until you lose 200 from defense, because you never really know.

@Maaka Thanks for the encouragement!  Hopefully I'll pull L!Azura Tuesday.  My defense doesn't cut it these days, but if I get her it'll help a lot.  Nice score!

1 of the 3 who made T20 last week made it to the promised land of T21:

YTxyOyj.jpg

"I beat FEH?"  You apparently did!

Here's a glorious image for me:

M8H0fzx.jpg

Top 3K at last with my score of 8,520 and rank 2,556!  (I actually made it Week 1, but fell apart week 2, and I've been clawing my way back since to reach this point.  Boy does it feel good to make it again!)

35 minutes ago, DarkAlf said:

Top 3K at last with my score of 8,520 and rank 2,556!  (I actually made it Week 1, but fell apart week 2, and I've been clawing my way back since to reach this point.  Boy does it feel good to make it again!)

Congratulations. That's all the more reason to aim for T21 so that you can show them off.