Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Here are a few additional minor things:

1. Separate your Aether structures. Spreading them apart forces your opponent to spend more turns to reach both of them. I would place one in each top corner.

2. Place your Heavy Traps closer towards the bottom and Bolt Traps towards the top. Bolt traps are a double edged sword in that they are good against players running Enemy Phase teams, but are absolutely horrible against Player Phase teams. Bolt Traps are still useful for halting players' movement, so you want to put them closer towards the top since the player would have likely reached Desperation range already by the time they get there, so damaging them would be less of an issue.

3. By the same token, I would swap out Bolt Tower (D) for something else to prevent Player Phase teams from having an easier time reaching Desperation range.

I don't think Desperation is as common a strategy as you think it is, at least I haven't seen anyone bother using it in forever. Seems like everyone's setting their big offense units with Breaker skills and other things that will help them take out crap like Surtr. Conversely, the "bulk up your bulkiest bulkburger" strategy is ever popular and doing 10 more damage from Bolt Tower is helpful if you can set it.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Any ideas what should I change in my AR defense?

http://imgur.com/a/cjUeom4

you are nerfing the one thing Cavalrys have going for them: long range. unless you want to avoid the long range because of tactical reasons, but i see none here. The map is basicly hindering the range of cavalry units. If you want to force your enemy tot he right of the map place your fortress right below the trench on the left (next to the wall). that way your cavalrys cant be baited and the enemy cant attack. Also Aversa will be your biggest nightmare.

13 minutes ago, Johann said:

I don't think Desperation is as common a strategy as you think it is,

I still see one or two Desperation units here and there. I also noticed a lot of units with Vantage.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I still see one or two Desperation units here and there. I also noticed a lot of units with Vantage.

Hmm... fair point, I personally see far more tanky builds or one-shot oriented approaches than riskier low HP strategies. Small sample sizes and all that, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Hmm... fair point, I personally see far more tanky builds or one-shot oriented approaches than riskier low HP strategies. Small sample sizes and all that, I suppose.

Yeah, my sample size is pretty small too since I have only about 7 matches so far. I guess I also have a bias against Bolt Towers, since as a Player Phase player, it feels too easy to take advantage of them to get multiple units closer into Desperation range if the units have not done so yet by turn 3. There are also quite a few Wings of Mercy Dancers/Singers too.

58 minutes ago, Hilda said:

you are nerfing the one thing Cavalrys have going for them: long range. unless you want to avoid the long range because of tactical reasons, but i see none here. The map is basicly hindering the range of cavalry units. If you want to force your enemy tot he right of the map place your fortress right below the trench on the left (next to the wall). that way your cavalrys cant be baited and the enemy cant attack. Also Aversa will be your biggest nightmare.

So far this fort hasn't been attacked yet, also this whole week turns into experimentation, so I'll wait until I get some replays on it, and I will adjust, or change back to an older fort setup. Trenches do nerf Cavalry movements, but it's the same for enemy cavalries too, hoping to slow them down while they are forcing their way through and dealing with the traps. In most lure points I can imagine the team taking the triangle advantage first, maybe the right is a bit more complicated. Back to the trenches it also holds my team back from running away from the team straight into certain death - I do have a squad which is prepared to bait out cavalry units, and once they are taken care of, the rest is just cleaning up. The traps are placed so the enemy will not try use ranged units so bravely, and they don't try to team up for bonuses.

Basically my Fort is currently Lv2+1 on defense, so instead of using power on defense, I'm trying to take out just a few enemies to minimalize my point loss, and the buildings are set so they need to take time to get through.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Here are a few additional minor things:

1. Separate your Aether structures. Spreading them apart forces your opponent to spend more turns to reach both of them. I would place one in each top corner.

2. Place your Heavy Traps closer towards the bottom and Bolt Traps towards the top. Bolt traps are a double edged sword in that they are good against players running Enemy Phase teams, but are absolutely horrible against Player Phase teams. Bolt Traps are still useful for halting players' movement, so you want to put them closer towards the top since the player would have likely reached Desperation range already by the time they get there, so damaging them would be less of an issue.

3. By the same token, I would swap out Bolt Tower (D) for something else to prevent Player Phase teams from having an easier time reaching Desperation range.

Interesting points there too, aether defense looks more complicated, that is if the enemy have good counter teams. I'll keep a note on these for future reference.

@Johann That's a lot of information, but some of them doesn't seem to be related to this. I don't know how Lyn and defensive tiles came here.

Usually I play my games later like Johann, but today I couldn't wait to get the score to be done with the week. Yay, four days without AR.

21 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

@Johann That's a lot of information, but some of them doesn't seem to be related to this. I don't know how Lyn and defensive tiles came here.

With defensive tiles he means the trench + defensive terrain tiles you have on your map. Someone could park a tanky unit on the one in front of your team and there may be nothing they can do about it. And if the threat ranges cause Lucina to Future Vision Veronica away, she and everyone else will then suicide into the opponent if it has DC.

With Lyn he most likely meant Lucina.

The only problem with doing runs perfectly is that I have to play more games if I get more aether. (I'll probably end up just not caring and doing a surrender every day once I'm safe from being booted out of T20, though.)

That said, saw a pair of weird ass maps today---both of them are COMPLETELY hosed by a Savalinn Shield Myrrh---like, don't all in on armor effective weapons when there's a cheap ass way to turn your 1.5 damage multiplier into a +6 Atk. (+6 Atk since it could've been a Fortress Def/Res in that slot.) Mind, I am more than a little bit jealous of the resources they have available if they can afford to give Bold Fighter to Sheena of all people, lul.

I'm lazily doing my maps with no calculations or anything this week. Lost a unit on one and don't care. I was just going to sit out the week beyond retaining rank, but then we got these new decoration quests.

At least one map I got this morning was nothing but a lvl 1 Wrys boxed in by the fort and fountains. The fort was lvl 3, so I assume he just made a free map since he doesn't care this week either. (maybe I should do that too, I haven't bothered to touch mine yet this week)

@LordFrigid Indeed we do! @Maaka on my list has also a Florina that's similar too. Hurray for the DC +QR flier squad. (we even cover all 3 colors)

Edited by Alkaid

Now that defense aren't based around narrow choke-points, I think people are forgetting about the Repo-refresh setup. I finally got off my butt and built a six-unit defense team that more or less just kind of sits in the open with a bunch of horses waiting to be baited. Azura hangs out in the back, so she seems relatively harmless and there's a place where attackers can initiate on my Aversa from relative if they really want to. What people have been doing is killing her, the refreshing/Repo-ing just to the edge horse range. Except then horse Chrom moves forward, gets Repo-ed by Gunnthra, then refreshed and the Chrom rocket rams into someone. It's caught three people in a row for two kills so far.

4 hours ago, Azuris said:

With defensive tiles he means the trench + defensive terrain tiles you have on your map. Someone could park a tanky unit on the one in front of your team and there may be nothing they can do about it. And if the threat ranges cause Lucina to Future Vision Veronica away, she and everyone else will then suicide into the opponent if it has DC.

With Lyn he most likely meant Lucina.

@Garlyle This, basically. I tend to mix up Legendary Lyn and Lucina cuz my brain is stupid. Defensive tiles can be a huge help for your enemy, especially if your own units have little to no way of using them due obstacles or trenches.

2 hours ago, Johann said:

@Garlyle This, basically. I tend to mix up Legendary Lyn and Lucina cuz my brain is stupid. Defensive tiles can be a huge help for your enemy, especially if your own units have little to no way of using them due obstacles or trenches.

Oh, didn't paid attention that those trenches also have defensive terrain on them. Alternatively I can switch to the Lava Map, but then my Fort must be moved to the bottom left where the wall is missing - not a big issue, as the first idea on paper had the fort down there anyway. Thanks for pointing that out.

Came back with a vengeance. Today gave me a defense loss, and I rematched him to find four Surtrs and an Eir. Lilina one-shotted them all (she needed to be rallied to one-shot Eir) and I had time to take his Aether resources.

13 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I was just going to sit out the week beyond retaining rank, but then we got these new decoration quests.

Oh right the quest thing. Still won't let that take my AR free days from me, if I can't get the remaining wins next week it's my own fault.

I guess my luck is not good enough to get me to T20 this week. I only have 60Lift left I can lose to get to T20. But I did well. xD 

But I do pretty good on offensive. I still have to lose a round without chance. 

Edited by Stroud

Forgot to do my free run yesterday, I think that knocks me out of the running for top 3k.

Well, it was nice getting gold thrones while it lasted.

Damn, now that I know that I cannot reach T20 anymore I am only half motivated. xD 3 rounds today. 1 perfect. and on the other two I lost at least 1 or 2 units.
Still ok though. Its not that I mess up totally. Just that some positioning I make is bad. And one time it was unnecessary.

8900 Lift now. i need to make 5 perfect runs and cannot lose on def.

But it is as I expected. 6 units does not make all def teams better. 6 Units also mean that one has to be more careful of the positioning from every hero. If only one can used to trigger the mop or be baited with the right unit it won't be more difficult. In my first round I could use that to my advantage. L!Ephraim was positioned in a way I could beat him with Eir. And the rest of the units which have all been only mages ran into Eir and could not do that much.

Edited by Stroud

Not attacked yet, so I'm guessing most people just stopped giving a damn now that the daily rewards are all nabed in AR.

On a more mechanical note, it's kind of stupid how it's possible to hit the max Aether cap with just daily regen + 2 pots if you have a lot of lift + Fountain Upgrade. If you have 110 aether/fight that means you can end the day with 109 aether (I ended yesterday with 106 with a 107 fight), regen to 179 from max'd fountain, and then nab 20 or so Aether from breaking pots to hit 199. And that's just for people in T20.

Edited by DehNutCase

Its been a long time since I hit top 3k. At least I am there again. The last rounds I messed up a bit. And I realized today hat I should have pulled for Kliff a bit to improve Athena for AR. With Double Fortress she would have survived today... Oh well. I have some ideas for her in the future. 

Also regret a bit making her Atk+. Res+ or Spd+ would have been better. For a bit more Attack I could have summon support her and I don't want too much attack with her so she can double mages. 

Hanging in at about 2.7k after today's fights. Not sure if it'll last the remaining 7 hours.

Really wish I hadn't missed that one match earlier in the week.

I will miss Tier 19 by 20 points. Hilarious. I probably would have made it if it was light season.

40 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

My rank this week is (currently) 63,406. Any tips to be better in the future? Those Veronicas, Surter, and traps are getting to me.

You might want to try using @DehNutCase's Galeforce Cordelia team setup. I am building mine up, although I am in no hurry since my main goal is to teach Tier 21 rather than ranking high.

While FV!F!Robin is still a bonus unit, you may want to try giving her Ally Support with M!Corrin and let FV!F!Robin carry the team, which consists of 1 FV!F!Robin, 2 M!Corrins, and 2 Eirs.

7 hours ago, Othin said:

Hanging in at about 2.7k after today's fights. Not sure if it'll last the remaining 7 hours.

Really wish I hadn't missed that one match earlier in the week.

Rank 3,045. Welp.