Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Then that's lame. I put a lot of effort into my teams, now I'm expected to throw them away and make all new ones? I feel like I wasted my time then!

No, Smite's mostly useless.

No, I hate Micaiah.

...What? I don't know any B skill that counters those.

I'm still working on a Galeforce team.

Then clearly your Team is NOT fine!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

That's not how AR works. You DO have to cater your team towards the AR meta. Not just throw any random assortments of units on and expect them to work out once you get to higher tiers. Because Defensive teams are set up to be able to function an certain way and if you cant counter them, then you won't be able to get any higher.

I never said I throw any random assortment of units. I make sure to have balance of colors, a good dancer (typically legendary Azura), a good bonus unit, some units that can handle physical units while others would handle magic ones, all that stuff.

Edited by Anacybele

I never said I throw any random assortment of units. I make sure to have balance of colors, a good dancer (typically legendary Azura), a good bonus unit, some units that can handle physical units while others would handle magic ones, all that stuff.

Fine and dandy, now you have to make sure those units cater to common AR Defensive threats, like Flier balls, Galeforce/WOM shenanigans, Infantry Pulse set ups, Veronica, Brave Lyn, and Reinhardt, Rally Traps, etc.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It'd be one thing if this was only the first go around, I'd just take it as me needing to make a better team or something. But I've tried the last several weeks to get to tier 19 and still come up barely short every time. That's not my fault, that's bad game design. AR needs some changes so this kind of thing doesn't happen to players.

"Work on my offense"? It should be fine. Any team of fully built up good units, especially with some merges, should be fine in any mode in a game like this. Otherwise, it starts feeling like pay to win.

Take it from me, it's not pay-to-win. Then again, I tapered off my spending around the start of AR.

I think I've found my place, barely staying T21 (off weeks) / T22/23 (on weeks). Not sure I want to get the Astra Mythic at this rate. With an Astra Mythic, I could have a shot at getting top 5k. (all the skilled F2Ps who don't have an Astra Mythic will fall behind). But this mode is burning me out.

4 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Then clearly your Team is NOT fine!

...So Smite, a dumb Micaiah alt, some probably nonexistent B skill for countering Firesweep units or whatever, and Galeforce are required for AR. Right, sure. Also, not like I can just go get myself a Summer Micaiah right now anyway, you know.

Fine and dandy, now you have to make sure those units cater to common AR Defensive threats, like Flier balls, Galeforce/WOM shenanigans, Infantry Pulse set ups, Veronica, Brave Lyn, and Reinhardt, Rally Traps, etc.

Fair enough. But what the heck is "flier balls"? And what are "Rally traps"? I can guess that the latter has something to do with rally skills, but that's it.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Thats not how AR works. AR works either with a Galeforce Team or a Supertank (either with bulk or Vantage Close counter Blade stuff) and even then in some cases i am glad i have a Dancer Micaiah or Dagger Olivia who can tackle Armorers or Dragons. Azura is a very good Dancer, but she isnt allways the best pick, in some cases even the Beast Dancers are a better pick.

Common Threats in AR:
Razzle Dazzle Staffies need null counter skill
Infantry Pulse Teams either need a Witchy wand, full galeforce or a very very strong supertank.
And then there is the cuddles wall of Armorers/Dragon-Armorers where my Olivia and Micaiah come in handy
Which leaves us with Flier Formation Fliers, go Faye go go or supertank.

...So Smite, a dumb Micaiah alt, some probably nonexistent B skill for countering Firesweep units or whatever, and Galeforce are required for AR. Right, sure. Also, not like I can just go get myself a Summer Micaiah right now anyway, you know.

Fair enough. But what the heck is "flier balls"? And what are "Rally traps"? I can guess that the latter has something to do with rally skills, but that's it.

Null-C Disrupt is used to counter Firesweep Weapons and Dazzling Staff users.

Flier Balls are all flier teams with Flier Formation/Ward Fliers that make you initiate against the team and proceed to warp all over the place to destroy your team. Rally Traps are when you try to bait a unit, but another a unit Rallies a different unit and gets danced to go an kill the unit you tried to bait with. These are generally set up so you cannot bait with color advantage safely because the Rallied one will have an advantage against the one you're trying to bait with.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Smite is only needed if you want to Galeforce a Defense Team. Micaiah is only needed for Armorer cuddles.
I have 4 offense Teams. most of them usually just rotate the Dancer out.

10 minutes ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Take it from me, it's not pay-to-win. Then again, I tapered off my spending around the start of AR.

I think I've found my place, barely staying T21 (off weeks) / T22/23 (on weeks). Not sure I want to get the Astra Mythic at this rate. With an Astra Mythic, I could have a shot at getting top 5k. (all the skilled F2Ps who don't have an Astra Mythic will fall behind). But this mode is burning me out.

I hope the Astra Mythic is someone I don't mind pulling for myself.

6 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Thats not how AR works. AR works either with a Galeforce Team or a Supertank (either with bulk or Vantage Close counter Blade stuff) and even then in some cases i am glad i have a Dancer Micaiah or Dagger Olivia who can tackle Armorers or Dragons. Azura is a very good Dancer, but she isnt allways the best pick, in some cases even the Beast Dancers are a better pick.

I have Bunny Palla for taking care of armors and some dragons and on top of that, she kills traps. Blue dragons I can typically take out with a good green tome user.

6 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Common Threats in AR:
Razzle Dazzle Staffies need null counter skill
Infantry Pulse Teams either need a Witchy wand, full galeforce or a very very strong supertank.
And then there is the cuddles wall of Armorers/Dragon-Armorers where my Olivia and Micaiah come in handy
Which leaves us with Flier Formation Fliers, go Faye go go or supertank.

And I have no access to any of those since they're all 5-star exclusive things except Faye and like maybe two units with Flier Formation. Meaning as I said, pay to win.

4 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Null-C Disrupt is used to counter Firesweep Weapons and Dazzling Staff users.

I see. I have no access to that skill though.

4 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Flier Balls are all flier teams with Flier Formation/Ward Fliers that make you initiate against the team and proceed to warp all over the place to destroy your team. Rally Traps are when you try to bait a unit, but another a unit Rallies a different unit and gets danced to go an kill the unit you tried to bait with. These are generally set up so you cannot bait with color advantage safely because the Rallied one will have an advantage against the one you're trying to bait with.

I see. The former sounds really annoying while the latter might be something I've fallen victim to more than once.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see. I have no access to that skill though.

I see. The former sounds really annoying while the latter might be something I've fallen victim to more than once.

You don't need it but it is very much worth the investment, particularly on a good tank like Fae, Nowi, or a Raventome user to deal with Veronica.

Rally traps are very easy to fall for because most players overlook them and rush into battle without paying attention to enemy skillsets. This is why it is important to cater your teams around these types of traps.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And I have no access to any of those since they're all 5-star exclusive things except Faye and like maybe two units with Flier Formation. Meaning as I said, pay to win.

I supertanked all week now with a refined Sharena (Bonus unit). She is a free askr unit. and when built up she is a very good Tank when she is a bonus unit (which is quite common). She doesnt run summoner support and has no Dragonflower investments.

I gave her:
Refined personal Weapon (has Def/SPD bond as a refine and it has Dull Close AND RANGEd, which means she autonullyfies all Bladetome shenanigans)
Reposition
Noontime
Distant Counter
Null Follow up (this can be to your liking, you can also run Null-C disrupt or quick riposte, but i like Null Follow up so she can tank also all Armorers, but its quite flexible)
Attack Smoke
Seal: SPD/RES Bond

her partner in crime is a refined Marth (4 Star unit) that runs refined Falchion with a DEF/RES in C slot and DEF/RES Seal giving her another wooping 8 Res and 8 DEF, + L!Azura Dance buffs.

She hasnt failed me much this weak at all and tanked the shit out of almost everyone.

Anna can be a very good Galeforce partner unit when she is a bonus unit due to her mobility with Noatun

Alfonse... welp havent found any uses for him so far in AR. lets say he is just garbo lulz

Edited by Hilda

8 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I supertanked all week now with a refined Sharena (Bonus unit). She is a free askr unit. and when built up she is a very good Tank when she is a bonus unit (which is quite common). She doesnt run summoner support and has no Dragonflower investments.

I gave her:
Refined personal Weapon (has Def/SPD bond as a refine and it has Dull Close AND RANGEd, which means she autonullyfies all Bladetome shenanigans)
Reposition
Noontime
Distant Counter
Null Follow up (this can be to your liking, you can also run Null-C disrupt or quick riposte, but i like Null Follow up so she can tank also all Armorers, but its quite flexible)
Attack Smoke
Seal: SPD/RES Bond

her partner in crime is a refined Marth (4 Star unit) that runs refined Falchion with a DEF/RES in C slot and DEF/RES Seal giving her another wooping 8 Res and 8 DEF, + L!Azura Dance buffs.

She hasnt failed me much this weak at all and tanked the shit out of almost everyone.

Anna can be a very good Galeforce partner unit when she is a bonus unit due to her mobility with Noatun

Alfonse... welp havent found any uses for him so far in AR. lets say he is just garbo lulz

I told you don't have access to those skills. I don't have DC fodder and I've never pulled anyone with Null Follow Up even once.

2 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

@Anacybele You could try to improve your defensive team. It's not that hard to find a way to bait your units. You places a Bolt Trap in from of Alm. Any  DC unit with Vantage can use it against you.

That's just going to lower the amount of lift I lose in losses, not help me gain lift.

9 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

You don't need it but it is very much worth the investment, particularly on a good tank like Fae, Nowi, or a Raventome user to deal with Veronica.

Rally traps are very easy to fall for because most players overlook them and rush into battle without paying attention to enemy skillsets. This is why it is important to cater your teams around these types of traps.

I see. But I still can't do anything about it now since I don't have the skill at all. And I understand.

I see. But I still can't do anything about it now since I don't have the skill at all. And I understand.

I'm saying, you don't have to do anything, I don't have the Skill either. The point was simply it can be a good investment against common threats like Firesweep Lyn and Veronica, but they can easily be dealt with by a Raventome user, as well. You should focus instead on what you do have and how you can use what you have to take on threats that you're having issues with.

16 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

I'm saying, you don't have to do anything, I don't have the Skill either. The point was simply it can be a good investment against common threats like Firesweep Lyn and Veronica, but they can easily be dealt with by a Raventome user, as well. You should focus instead on what you do have and how you can use what you have to take on threats that you're having issues with.

Oh okay. I've never really seen Firesweep Lyn even though I have seen Brave Lyn on occasion, but Veronica does pop up kinda frequently. And yeah, I should definitely try utilizing my female Robin as a Reinhardt/Veronica counter since I'm gonna +10 her soonish. She'll be +9 today when I get the grails from this AR season.

I have a 5 star male Robin too, but he's blue, so he won't counter Rein as well as female Robin can. Still, he can help in situations where Rein isn't there, but Brave Lyn and Veronica are.

The Robins' personal weapons are basically unique raven tomes.

Edited by Anacybele

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh okay. I've never really seen Firesweep Lyn even though I have seen Brave Lyn on occasion, but Veronica does pop up kinda frequently. And yeah, I should definitely try utilizing my female Robin as a Reinhardt/Veronica counter since I'm gonna +10 her soonish. She'll be +9 today when I get the grails from this AR season.

I have a 5 star male Robin too, but he's blue, so he won't counter Rein as well as female Robin can. Still, he can help in situations where Rein isn't there, but Brave Lyn and Veronica are.

The Robins' personal weapons are basically unique raven tomes.

F!Robin is a great choice, she has the Defenses to deal with B!Lyn, Veronica, and Reinhardt. And you already have her merged up, so you should definitely be making use of her when you can.

F!Robin is a great choice, she has the Defenses to deal with B!Lyn, Veronica, and Reinhardt. And you already have her merged up, so you should definitely be making use of her when you can.

Yeah, glad she's part of my Awakening OTF (one true family)!

58 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That's just going to lower the amount of lift I lose in losses, not help me gain lift.

Those are exactly the same thing. Losing 60 (80 - 20) points on a loss and gaining 100 (100 + 0) on a win is the same as losing 80 (80 - 0) points on a loss and gaining 120 (100 + 20) on a win. 20 points of reduced Lift loss is the exact same end result as 20 points of increased Lift gain.

59 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I told you don't have access to those skills. I don't have DC fodder and I've never pulled anyone with Null Follow Up even once.

You want to save your Orbs for skills like Distant Counter, Steady Breath, Firesweep Bow, etc. While you should definitely spend Orbs on favorite characters and powerful units, you also need to budget for skill fodder to complete them.

It is not easy for players to budget their Orb expenditures, but it is something you have to do if you want to easily progress further into the game. Even I still have trouble prioritizing Orbs for skill fodder sometimes, as I still have no Steady Breath and Warding Breath fodder to complete my dragons.

Tier 25, with 12,970 lift!  Just a little shy of tier 26, but that's okay.  I full out lost one battle after using my escape ladders, so that's why.  I don't want to experience a ton of stress when playing AR, so I'll take a loss or two.  I love being able to plant Caineghis and watch everything fall!  I had a few close calls with people like Est, but he still tanked two Ests today.  Caineghis may not be my favorite Tellius character, but I'm thrilled I can use him over another game's character.  Nailah is one of my favorites, so the fact I can build a team around the two of them is great.

When the Astra mythic comes out, I'll spend some orbs on it and add a blessing to Tibarn and Reyson.  I'll possibly change either Caineghis or Nailah over as well (but not both)!  I like landing in the top 3000 every other week.

19 minutes ago, XRay said:

You want to save your Orbs for skills like Distant Counter, Steady Breath, Firesweep Bow, etc. While you should definitely spend Orbs on favorite characters and powerful units, you also need to budget for skill fodder to complete them.

It is not easy for players to budget their Orb expenditures, but it is something you have to do if you want to easily progress further into the game. Even I still have trouble prioritizing Orbs for skill fodder sometimes, as I still have no Steady Breath and Warding Breath fodder to complete my dragons.

Kind of hard to save orbs for those things when we very rarely get banners with characters that have those skills. Especially now that regular Hector and Brave Ike were removed from new banner focus pools. I also prefer to merge Brave Ike.

So like I said, pay to win. :/

3 hours ago, Johann said:

As long as Lucina, Veronica, Lilina, or Azura have a target in range, Ophelia will warp to the tile below Lucina to use Rally Up on Lucina.

For this specific example, I’m pretty sure Ophelia would just stay in place and Rally Azura. I can try to put a sample together when I’m not at work.

Kind of hard to save orbs for those things when we very rarely get banners with characters that have those skills. Especially now that regular Hector and Brave Ike were removed from new banner focus pools. I also prefer to merge Brave Ike.

So like I said, pay to win. :/

Rarity is not an issue since Hector appears several times a year, and if you broaden it to Distant Counter units in general, then there is also Hríd and MOO!Hector in Legendary Heroes Foci, Nailah is still in the normal pool, and LA!Hector and GD!Ike during Valentines.

Same thing with Steady Breath and Warding Breath. BH!Ike appears every few months, and VL!Ike is on Legendary Heroes Foci.

Players just need to be very disciplined with spending their Orbs.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Rarity is not an issue since Hector appears several times a year, and if you broaden it to Distant Counter units in general, then there is also Hríd and MOO!Hector in Legendary Heroes Foci, Nailah is still in the normal pool, and LA!Hector and GD!Ike during Valentines.

Same thing with Steady Breath and Warding Breath. BH!Ike appears every few months, and VL!Ike is on Legendary Heroes Foci.

Players just need to be very disciplined with spending their Orbs.

Rarity is an issue because those are still rare appearances and those units will always be sharing colors due to how legendary banners work.

Also, I'd prefer to merge my Ikes and Hrid than fodder them for hopefully obvious reasons.

Edited by Anacybele

Rarity is an issue because those are still rare appearances and those units will always be sharing colors due to how legendary banners work.

Those units/skills do not have to appear often, they just need to appear often enough in some frequency. Even if you make them appear every month, players would still need to save Orbs to summon those skill fodder, so it make no difference if those skills appear 12 times a year or 4 times a year, you will still have to budget an X amount of Orbs to get them. Distant Counter as a skill is also probably the least rare among premium A skills, once you factor in how many units now carry it and appear on Foci.

Legendary Heroes Foci might have a lot of color sharing, but you also get a higher 5* rate. A lot of Legendary Heroes also have other valuable skills, so even if you do not get the premium skill you want this time, you will still get other premium skills for other builds.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, I'd prefer to merge my Ikes and Hrid than fodder them for hopefully obvious reasons.

And that is where discipline and resource management comes in. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to progress.