Does It Seem That Spice & Wolf Was Written For An Older Demographic Compared to Other light novels?

Captain Karnage

I posted this on reddit a couple of days ago, and I thought I'd bring this over here

Bit of a random topic but to begin S&W is so far the only light novel series I've gotten into. I've tried a couple of other series but I can't seem to get into any of them.

Anyways, a topic on r/books came up about young adult fiction which made me curious, and I decided to look a little more into LNs and compare them to YA fiction. I noticed that compared to other protagonists Lawrence is kind of old compared to other protagonists in LN and YA. Outside of his age Lawrence is an adult in the sense that he's got his life together, he's a successful peddler, he doesn't have a desire to go on adventures but rather to settle down in a village somewhere, and he's kind of got his life figured out in what he want's to do. Some of those themes are generally absent in YA and LN, which are obviously aimed at a younger audience. I could also go on about how Lawrence carries himself and taking risks that aren't too high.

I could go on but I'd rather keep this discussion spoiler free, and keep it focused on what demographic this series was written for.

tl;dr I think S&W was written for an older demographic because the main character is an outlier in a genre that primarily targets teens and young adults.

edit:title

Edited by Captain Karnage

Highly possible, I tend to read more "mature" light novels to begin with (Vampire Hunter D, Trinity Blood and other stuff like that).  I mean S&W is not what I would call a "teen" light novel so I guess it is for an adult reader fan base, but since I tend to read light novels that are written for adults I am not the best judge of what ones for teens are like to begin with.

Compared to other light novels it is written for a somewhat older demographic. But not only because of the protagonist and his age, I still like this part though. Young people can still enjoy older protagonists and Wolf and Parchment, which is the successor of Spice and Wolf has a younger protagonist.

The demographic is also decided a bit by the difficulty of reading. Spice and Wolf has some foreign words and the topic often needs you to think about what it is about, so you cannot just read it. Hasekura put his knowledge about economy in the series. ( Also World End Economy from him is not too easy to read).
If you read such Light novels in Japanese it is even words. You can already guess the age of reader group at the usage of Kanji. And I would believe that Spice and Wolf is a bit advanced. But it is not the most difficult. It is just more difficult compared to Light Novels like Overlord, Rise of the Shieldhero, etc. 

I would like to find more Light Novels like spice and wolf...