What if no Alts ... ?

Shiki

Warning: This is a topic to discuss potential spots that Alts in the summoning pool have taken in past banners. If you want to argue that Alts are fine you're probably in the wrong topic.

Yeah, some of us are frustated with the amount of alts we got this year, especially the ones that now exist in the summoning pool to haunt us for all eternity.
Might as well put our used tin hats on and discuss what other characters could have taken the spots in these regular banners because that will help to vent our frustation, right? No? Oh, ok.

So I filtered out the list of Alts that appear in the summoning pool at any given time with some restrictions:
1. No Brave Heroes.
2. If a unit wasn't featured in the regular summoning pool then they don't count for this (e.g. Shigure or Zelgius)
3. In case of Awakening and Fates I didn't count instances like Rhajat or Owain because even outside of Heroes they are treated as different persons. I took the liberty to apply this rule to Grima despite being treated as a Robin alt in-game.

Sacred Memories
- Eirika

Fallen Heroes
- Celica

The Branded King
- Chrom

World of Thracia
- Reinhardt
- Olwen

Wings of Fate
- Hinoka

Scattered Fangs
- Nino

Ylissean Travelers
- Olivia

Adrift
- Corrin(M)
- Corrin(F)
- Camilla

So kicking things off my thoughts:

Spoiler

Sacred Memories:
This seems like a banner without a real focus, instead trying to include some relevant characters from SS. The easy answer would be Knoll but as many others have stated he doesn't necessarily have dips on Gleipnir just because he is the only canonical Dark Mage in the game.
So I'm going to nominate Ross and Duessel instead.
While not important in terms of plot one of Sacred Stones' trademarks (for better or worse) are the Trainee characters. Ross did pretty well in CYL so there is some merit in his inclusion and Heroes really needs more Green units.
Duessel on the other hand is probably the most important character from Grado, being one of the highest-ranking Generals and the only one who joins you.

Fallen Heroes:
Now this one is a bit tricky due to its theme but I have 2 nominees that could take over Celica's spot.
The first one is Berserk Ashnard from Path of Radiance. In this state he is clearly influenced by the medallion so he is "possessed" in a sense. I's a bit of stretch to include a truly mad character (because I doubt the guy is going to have a conversation with you). On the other hand Fallen Celica is barely better being a mindless puppet with just a residual sense of her past self.
The other is Eremiya from New Mystery. If you don't know she is the leader of the Assassin group, introduced in the remake. Eremiya is being manipulated by Gharnef to train orphans into Assassins (like Legion or Clarisse) and by the end of the game she is released by his spell, only dying in despair of what she has done.

The Branded King:
Ok, this is one really awkward because the title pretty much screams Chrom alt. Outside of that it was the first banner to include the children of Awakening so any of them could work here. This might have been the best time to introduce any of the popular ones like Noire, Cynthia or Severa.

World of Thracia:
Yeah, this banner. Even if you cut the banner to 3 characters there were many better options than these 2 alts. Thracia 776 is the Fire Emblem game with the most nobodies for the west, so anyone could have worked to expose more people to this game and make it more relevant.
Finn really should have been on this banner with him having a "Meisterlanze", the Lance counterpart of the Meisterschwert. He is literally the one character in Fire Emblem you're going to associate with the Brave Lance so it's disappointing to see him with a regular one.
Even if we keep Finn as TT, Mareeta was popular enough in CYL to warrant a spot. While she would have shared colors with Leif, Reinhardt did the same so it wouldn't have changed the banner's dynamic too much. If we want to respect color diversity maybe Linoan or Sara could have worked? Don't kill me, I didn't play Thracia, so I don't know about the most relevant characters.

Wings of Fate:
Swap out Hinoka with Reina and you get pretty much the same result; a bunch of split-route units with a single Birthright character who introduces flying archers to Heroes.

Scattered Fangs:
If you take out Nino there isn't a theme anymore since only Legault was a Black Fang member. Karla's presence is still one of biggest mysteries for me.
Though Renault could have been a fascinating addition due to his implied relationship with Nergal.

Ylissean Travelers:
This banner actually had 4 original characters. The 5th one was the guy no one remembers.
I think more children characters could have been introduced but any of the other Shepherds would have worked too. Vaike, Miriel or Ricken all seem fine candidates as original members of Chrom's Shepherds. And no, I'm not forgetting someone.

Adrift:
The latest banner to feed the alt hate. It has a staggering count of 3 characters that could have been someone else.
Arete comes up a lot as Azura's mother and Mikoto's sister. It's really mind-boggling why she wasn't chosen, as she would have fit very well in the paralogue and its theme.
The rest is tricky. Even reducing the count to 3 there aren't many characters that could fit. Someone like Scarlet or Lilith really don't work since Azura doesn't know them.
Cipher has a Garon in his prime that might have been able to fit since he is Azura's father. This would help to flesh out his non-existent character that we only know off from Xander's memory. Also Garon in that dress, Corrin is wearing? Pfew.

Edited by The Priest

Sacred Memories
- Knoll (L'Arachel of the light, Knoll of the dark, Myrrh of the gods)

Fallen Heroes
- Anankos

The Branded King
- Either Rightful King Inigo or Cynthia as the king's daughter

World of Thracia
- Finn should have been here in the first place wtf
- I would say Eyvel but that would be double Red, maybe Asvel instead for Wind (Green)

Wings of Fate
- Kisaragi with a Fujin Yumi sidegrade

Scattered Fangs
- Sonia

Ylissean Travelers
- Gregor

Adrift
- Honestly don't think anyone could really replace the Corrins due to the banner's theme being so specific, but I guess Sumeragi
- Arete

I still cri that we don't have Cynthia or Severa yet. Cynthia could have taken Sumia Flylivia's place~

Adrift could have easily given us an Elise alt Mitama. I know why they went with 1st gen characters because of Azura but I will remain salty at a dream focused banner with no Mitama~

29 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Sacred Memories
- Eirika

I still maintain that Marisa would have been perfect fit for the banner in place of Eirika. She is decently popular and has got the looks. Karla being a myrmigirl made her broken as fuck, and the same might have happened to Marisa were she a banner unit and not a glorified Infantry Pulse fodder. Knoll could have become the tempest reward instead.

30 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Fallen Heroes
- Celica

still maintain that Mareeta would have been a better fit for this banner in place of Celica. Celica literally exists in this state for like two minutes until Falchion is thrust. Mareeta’s possession by the Darkness sword and its purification by Saias is a minor arc in Thracia, after all. Also everyone knows how starved Thracia is for characters.

33 minutes ago, The Priest said:

The Branded King
- Chrom

This banner was a trainwreck regardless and nothing would have saved it anyway. But still, I’d place Emmeryn here because I can’t fit her anywhere.

35 minutes ago, The Priest said:

World of Thracia
- Reinhardt
- Olwen

Finn should have been on the banner, no one can say otherwise without risking getting spat into the face by yours truly. Bring in Eyvel or one of the axebois (Orsin for the memes) to make the Fianna crew a little more complete. Eyvel would double on the colours but they did it regardless so it’s not a big deal.

36 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Wings of Fate
- Hinoka

Reina.

37 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Scattered Fangs
- Nino

I’d put Sonia here but Intsys was on their flierboner phase at the moment so I dunno. But still Sonia.

37 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Ylissean Travelers
- Olivia

Miriel must get into the game one day, damn it.

38 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Adrift
- Corrin(M)
- Corrin(F)
- Camilla

To be frank, I’m kinda sorta fine with the Corrins because otherwise the banner falls apart completely thanks to its Vallite theme. Camilla shouldn’t have been there; Arete should have, but the Corrins could actually stay. I dunno.

Sacred Memories: Cormag
I swear if he isn't in the next FE8 banner... Though on another note, IS not using Marisa on this banner still mystifies me.

Fallen Heroes: Rinea
I don't really see where else she'd fit / work in FEH aside from not being in it at all.

Branded King: Nah
This should've just been an Awakening Gen 2 banner in the first place. 

World of Thracia: Linoan, Asvel
There was also no reason for Finn to not be on this banner, like others have said.

Wings of Fate: Midori
Because just one precious child wasn't enough for this banner.

Scattered Fangs: Vaida
She did cooperate with the Fang at one point, so she'd at least have more reason to be here than Karla.

Ylissean Travelers: Kellam
We could really use more non-seasonal armors IS, just saying.

Adrift: Arete, Lilith, Sumeragi
This banner is still just a strange one in general.

Sacred Memories: Knoll. Not because of Eirika’s weapon, but the theme was characters related to the lore of the Sacred Stones.

Fallen Heroes: honestly, this originals on this banner don’t make sense so I’d just throw in Ashnard. Uhai GHB, since B Lyn is free anyway.

Branded King: Gérôme was the TT for this banner, iirc.

Thracia: Finn and Sety/Asvel

ylisse Travellers: Gregor

Adrift: Perceval, Douglas, Elphin and Lalum. Kick off Mikoto, I don’t think this banner can work without alts.

Edited by Baldrick

Sacred Memories: Marisa would've been the best choice. Cormag or Ross would've been nice but IS was starting to have more female-weighted banners.

Fallen Heroes: Takumi would have been popular enough to be summonable I guess to spare us from the GHB. Otherwise, I guess Ashnard. Or Gunter/Scarlet for randomness.

Branded King: Maybe one of the kids who can be Lucina's sibling? Cynthia maybe since Sumia seemed the most pushed forward wife but that opens up a can of shipping worms. Brady would've been nice, or Noire would be cool (although Tharja doesn't really interact with Chrom) just so Summer Noire wouldn't be so random.

Thracia: Finn and I don't know, Mareeta or Orsin? Don't really know Thracia

Wing of Fates: Reina. 

Scattered Fangs: Vaida.

Ylissean Travellers: Gregor since he's a mercenary. If it wasn't for the traveller theme, I would have liked either Flavia or Basilio.

Adrift: Personally I would just make this a Rev banner with Mikoto, Fuga, Sumeragi and Arete. Or maybe Scarlet. Or Lilith.

52 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Fallen Heroes: Rinea

I don't really see where else she'd fit / work in FEH aside from not being in it at all.

Tbh I could see Rinea in a lot of seasonals, but that would mean Berkut would get an alt to accompany her.

Rinea could potentially work in a Rigel Banner, but the odds of SoV getting a banner in the first place is sketch at best.

6 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Tbh I could see Rinea in a lot of seasonals, but that would mean Berkut would get an alt to accompany her.

Rinea could potentially work in a Rigel Banner, but the odds of SoV getting a banner in the first place is sketch at best.

I was more so referring to how she’d be as a unit. As far as I know, she doesn’t have any established combat abilities before the spoilery thing happened to her.

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I was more so referring to how she’d be as a unit. As far as I know, she doesn’t have any established combat abilities before the spoilery thing happened to her.

Oh yeah. That would be confusing too. She would probably only work with seasonals since they are not necessarily accurate (Mia is good proof), so they have freedom to decide what they want her to do.

But for a real, nonseasonal appearance, they could make her some sort of mage. Her design is most similar to the concept art for the Saint class in that game, so she could also work as a staff unit as well. Some people have said she could theoretically be a dancer due to her being a good dancer and the fact that there is not one in SoV's official cast.

Magic Dancer Rinea?

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Saint Faye, though. She is the only one who can learn Anew, so the class is the most “canon” to her.

Cipher seems to believe that Faye's canon promotion path is pegasus knight.

I'm personally leaning towards "if Faye, then pegasus knight", but simultaneously "if dancer, then Faye". In other words, if the goal is to give Faye an alt, then she should be a pegasus knight, but if the goal is to introduce a dancer from Echoes, then it should be Faye.

For each of these I think I will try for three different options for each

Sacred Memories
I feel like Knoll is the obvious one here, just because of the Gleipnir, although truth be told the only Gleipnir user I have ever fielded has been Ewan so I will give him my first replacement spot. That being said there is another red unit who is notably absent, Tethys, it is amazing that they haven't dragged Sacred Stones dancer into the mix especially with the games obsession with other female dancers. Finally if they were really hell bent on their flyer addition Cormag seems the obvious choice.

Fallen Heroes
Well this is just going to show my Jugdral preferences as the first that comes to mind is Mareeta with her Darkness sword, but Heroe's blatant disregard for Thracia 776 made this nothing more than a pipe dream. Ok this one is counter productive as it would be an alt, but a Manfloy possessed Julia would need mention for this banner (mostly because I love Genealogy, and thought this would be a PERFECT fit when the banner was running). The final one I will go for is a bit of a stretch due to the event in question purely being described in backstory (although it is an event vital to the story): a Fire Emblem possessed Gwain (AKA Greil AKA Ike's dad), plus it would add a character who probably isn't going to make it into heroes otherwise.

The Branded King
This is a hard one simply because the theme was centered around the alt in question but I will try. This would have been a great place to introduce Owain as a branded character who might have become king if Lucina is going on exciting multi-world spanning adventures in heroes (and he isn't doing so in Fates...). This could have taken a huge left turn by adding Pelleas as an actually Branded King (as in a king who was one of the Branded) although then the rest of the banner would have to be reworked around Tellius. On that same thought Stefan as the king of a kingdom of Branded (or at least that is how I am interpreting his character ending) would fit the Branded King moniker even better.

World of Thracia
I feel the need to start by ranting about the staggering amount of wasted potential in the Olwen alt we received; not only did she waste a precious Thracia spot on her, but she did not even have her other signature weapon, the Holy sword given to her by Reinhardt if they meet on the field of battle. I suppose I will go by pairs here, the obvious one I feel is to replace Reinhardt with Mareeta with her signature Mareeta's sword functioning identical to the Master Sword Reinhardt uses (sorry not going to bother using its German name, an alt that wasted a valuable Thracia slot doesn't deserve that level of dignity), with Asvel replacing Olwen. There is just so much room for great Thracia banners, so how about Fergus for the red Reinhardt replacement, and of course Orsin and the mythical Pugi replacing Olwen. Or we could better balance the Banner by replacing Reinhardt with a Blue lance wielding Dean and his signature Dragon Lance, and Olwen with a Homer wielding a tome that is just as arbitrarily Green as Olwen's Thunder head

The most aggravating (and most likely scenario because Heroes hates Thracia, and it would have made the entire banner secretly a Genealogy banner in disguise) would be to add Delmud (with the Beo Sword) and Ced (with the Forseti) in place of Reinhardt and Olwen, but I feel the need to add three options I do not despise on the list so this is simply a venomous extra.

Wings of Fate
All right lets start with the most obvious one, the canon Kinshi knight Reina. Scarlet seems like the other obvious choice here (although it would be hard to justify a bow in that case). Alternatively they could have kept the fates children theme going with Percy.

Scattered Fangs
Sonia seems like the obvious replacement, as the unaccounted for magical  Black Fang member (OK ignoring Kenneth, but who cares about Kenneth and Jerme). Brendan Reed, leader of the Black Fang, and a green unit to boot would quite comfortably fit in that banner as well. Another fun option would be Uhai, the mounted archer of the Black Fang.

Ylissean Travelers
Well I guess I can start with the most interesting replacement option, Priam a character most people did not have long enough to use (if they got him at all). Ricken as the young friend and savior or Maribelle would also fit this banner perfectly. Or how about the Teacher, Vaike (altough that would bring it to two axes in the banner).

Adrift
This one is hard mostly due to the Valla implications of this banner, but I will try. Arete (Azura's mom) as either arbitrarily an blue Tome user to keep color balance, or with a version of the Ragnarok tome,  Sumaragi with the sword Ganglari and human form Anankos as a Green Dragon infantry. Scarlet who is explicitly doomed in revelations, Fuga who only arrives in revelations and Lilith who only survives in revelations. I'm honestly drawing a blank here, sorry for only having 2.

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Cipher seems to believe that Faye's canon promotion path is pegasus knight.

The trailers of SoV showed Faye as a Cavalier. Doesn't Cipher have art for Faye as a Priestess, too?
Considering how Heroes!Faye got a bow (instead of Tobin), I don't think Faye really has a class that can be considered canon per se. The other 3 Ram villagers are implied to have certain classes both in-game and Cipher (Gray -> Merc, Tobin -> Archer, Kliff -> Mage).

It's funny because aside from Anew Saint!Faye is literally the only one who has gotten 0 representation.

Edited by The Priest

Sacred Memories - Knoll. I mean, it's the obvious pick.

Fallen Heroes - Honestly fine with alts here.

The Branded King - The name would have to change, but I think either Laurent or Noire would have been fine here and added colour diversity.

World of Thracia - Mareeta and Asvel. Alternatively Finn as a summonable unit and drop Mareeta, make Marty the TT unit or something. 

Wings of Fate - Sophie or Midori, fitting as a child unit and could have an interesting skill or two.

Scattered Fangs - I would say Canas, but aside from making him better (I still want a Canas alt IS, ya did him dirty.), I think Vaida would have fit the theme as well.

Ylissean Travelers - A red non-alt? There's Miriel or if we leave the nation of Ylisse Gregor would be perfect for job.

Adrift - Arete, Scarlet, Sumeragi. I think I've come around on this banner in all fairness, this would be entirely different in the story.

I don't like alts.  Still one could argue the alts of popular characters were put in to increase profits or guarantee banner success, so I am going to put in replacement characters that not only fit but I feel that are popular enough to make a lot of money.

Sacred Memories - Tethys

Fallen Heroes - Fallen Rinea

Branded King - Basilio

World of Thracia - Finn would be on the banner with his PRF Brave lance, other unit would be Othin with Pugi. 

Wings of Fate - Reina

Scattered Fangs - Sonia

Ylissean Travelers - Flavia

Adrift - Lilith, Arete, Sumeragi

• Sacred Memories: Dozla. Knoll isn't interesting enough to replace mage Eirika.
  • Fallen Heroes: Vigarde

•  Branded King: Nah

• World of Thracia: Tanya and Dagdar

• Wings of Fate: Reina

• Scattered Fangs: Isadora

• Ylissean Travelers: Say'ri

• Adrift: Arete, Sumeragi, and Lilith.

Edited by Jingle Bells

18 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Saint Faye, though. She is the only one who can learn Anew, so the class is the most “canon” to her.

That is true, but a staff wielding dancer might be a little confusing. I guess if you want to heal with her she's going to have to give up dance.

7 hours ago, The Priest said:

The trailers of SoV showed Faye as a Cavalier. Doesn't Cipher have art for Faye as a Priestess, too?
Considering how Heroes!Faye got a bow (instead of Tobin), I don't think Faye really has a class that can be considered canon per se. The other 3 Ram villagers are implied to have certain classes both in-game and Cipher (Gray -> Merc, Tobin -> Archer, Kliff -> Mage).

Faye has four cards of her in the Pegasus Knight line and one (promo) in the Priestess line. Her one Overclass card is Harrier from the Pegasus Knight line. She doesn't seem to really have a canon promotion path, but Cipher highly suggests that Pegasus Knight is her "default" by means of overwhelming representation.

Sacred Memories:
I'm gonna go with Dozla. I do want Knoll to make it into the game, but Dozla is a great character; he's also the perfect character to accompany L'Arachel!

Fallen Heroes:
I'm actually okay with Celica on this banner. No changes.

The Branded King:
Might need some renaming because Chrom, but I'd have put either Cynthia or Laurent on this banner.

World of Thracia:
Honestly, Finn REALLY should have been on the banner, with maybe Mareeta accompanying him. If not Finn, then have Asbel accompany Mareeta.

Wings of Fate:
Reina. No question.

Scattered Fangs:
I'm gonna go with Leila on this one. She sorta made sense with the Black Fang theme, since she infiltrated them.

Ylissean Travelers:
G-r-e-g-o-r

Adrift:
Arete, Sumeragi, and Lilith.

Sacred Memories
- Eirika --> Fomortiis (Like Grima, it's a different character)

Fallen Heroes
- Celica (In my opinion it's a different character so I pass)

The Branded King
- Chrom (If he's not here this banner makes no sense, so I don't know, maybe Emerryn)

World of Thracia
- Reinhardt --> Linoan
- Olwen --> Altena

Wings of Fate
- Hinoka --> Scarlet

Scattered Fangs
- Nino --> Limstella (Because Nergal will be a GHB)

Ylissean Travelers
- Olivia --> Severa

Adrift
- Corrin(M) --> Anankos
- Corrin(F) --> Lilith
- Camilla --> Arete

Sacred Memories
Out of the units from sacred stones that are not in heroes yet, I mainly want Neimi or Colm but I don't know if either of them would've fit this banner that well. Maybe Rennac to go with L'Arachel

Fallen Heroes
I think Orson could've fit this quite well, even if he isn't exactly possessed.

The Branded King
Maybe Cynthia or Laurent

World of Thracia
I haven't played Thracia

Wings of Fate
Reina for obvious reasons. Maybe Rinkah.

Scattered Fangs
Sonia perhaps, although it would be more fitting if she would have a ghb.

Ylissean Travelers
I'd like Miriel but I know she's not that popular

Adrift
Anankos, Arete, Sumeragi or, heck, even Anthony. Literally anyone new.

Sacred Memories: To me, Eirika makes the most sense, but if I had to change it, it'd be Ewan or Tethys.

Fallen Heroes: Keep Celica there.

The Branded King: This banner doesn't make much sense without Chrom there. The only other people you could really tie in to a Morgan banner would be Robin or Lucina, which would still be alts.

World of Thracia: Replace both Reinhardt and Olwen with Finn and make it a 3-character banner. Finn's spot as the Tempest Trials reward can go to Eyvel.

Wings of Fate: Hinoka deserves an alt since every other Fates royal has one. Fight me.

Scattered Fangs: Limstella would make the most sense here since Sonia and Nergal both make more sense to be Grand Hero Battle characters. I could be cynical and give the spot to an Ursula alt, though, since her morph holds Gigascalibur before it drops from her.

Ylissean Travelers: Screw the theme if there was one since I have no real investment in Awakening due to being only a few chapters into the game. Say'ri, Basilio, or Flavia would be my picks from the first generation.

Adrift: Given the Paralogue, the current set of characters make the most sense. I wouldn't change them.

58 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Branded King: This banner doesn't make much sense without Chrom there. The only other people you could really tie in to a Morgan banner would be Robin or Lucina, which would still be alts.

They could have Chrom!M!Morgan, although I am not sure if they want to open that can of worms and get shippers involved.

Just now, XRay said:

They could have Chrom!M!Morgan, although I am not sure if they want to open that can of worms and get shippers involved.

That results in a banner with three Morgans, and one of the characters on the banner would still be an alt.