Which secondary Weapon Triangle should be used more?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which secondary Weapon Triangle would you like to see used more?

• Trinity of Magic: Anima vs Light vs Dark (FE 6-8)
    • Fates/Heroes Triangle: Red vs Green vs Blue
  2. 2. Less?

• Trinity of Magic: Anima vs Light vs Dark (FE 6-8)
    • Elemental Trinity: Fire vs Wind vs Thunder (FE 4-5, 9-10)
    • Fates/Heroes Triangle: Red vs Green vs Blue
  3. 3. Should Tomes, Bows, and Daggers be part of their own Weapon Triangle? (Tomes --> Bows --> Daggers --> Tomes)

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2018 at 07:00 AM

IMO Heroes has the best triangle and fates comes in second place. I honestly find magic triangles in the non-heroes games really useless, except maybe on FE4. Like, it's something complex for the sake of being complex, with no effect whatsoever on gameplay, which is IMO bad design. Meanwhile, Fates' triangle gave a purpose to magic weapons (other than magic itself) by making them occupy different spots on the triangle compared to regular magic. At the same time, I think the triangle is handled really well on Heroes (other than colored Bows/Daggers...), with different magic types occupying different spots alongside physical weapons, which distinguishes different mage types, so I'd really like to see it being used on a regular Fire Emblem game.

Edited by Nobody

Fates' RGB triangle was great. On the other hand, the Trinity of Magic can stay gone. It's the very definition of meaningless.

Edited by Shadow Mir

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Fates' RGB triangle was great. On the other hand, the Trinity of Magic can stay gone. It's the very definition of meaningless.

If we're putting Tomes, Daggers, and Bows in their own Triangle, then what wouldn't be too bad, I guess.  But it makes zero sense to mix them in with the primary Sword/Lance/Axe Weapon Triangle.

Really, Tomes, Daggers, and Bows should already be specialized enough not to need a Triangle.

I don't hate Fates secondary triangle, but i didn't like that Tomes were there. It felt less useful to use them because of that. 

Also, where the Anima triangle in the first question?

Also i would say that the Heroes and Fates triangles are different deals, as heroes has actual variety in their magic.

Edited by RexBolt

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

If we're putting Tomes, Daggers, and Bows in their own Triangle, then what wouldn't be too bad, I guess.  But it makes zero sense to mix them in with the primary Sword/Lance/Axe Weapon Triangle.

Really, Tomes, Daggers, and Bows should already be specialized enough not to need a Triangle.

I... don't have the utmost confidence that daggers won't be more than a flavor of the month idea, to say the least.

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I... don't have the utmost confidence that dagger won't be more than a flavor of the month idea, to say the least.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  Could you explain a little more clearly?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the primary Weapon Triangle works because Swords, Lances, and Axes are all similar enough in their purpose, what they can do, and suitability for general use to justify it.

The same cannot be said for Bows, Daggers, and Tomes.  Bows are meant to be used mainly against fliers (and normally can't even counterattack at 1-Range), Daggers inflict debuffs on enemies that the other weapons don't, and Tomes target a completely different defensive stat from the other weapons.

I don't think Tomes have any business having an advantage over Axes in the same manner that Swords do, or that Bows have any business having an advantage over Lances in the same manner that Axes do.

9 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  Could you explain a little more clearly?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the primary Weapon Triangle works because Swords, Lances, and Axes are all similar enough in their purpose, what they can do, and suitability for general use to justify it.

The same cannot be said for Bows, Daggers, and Tomes.  Bows are meant to be used mainly against fliers (and normally can't even counterattack at 1-Range), Daggers inflict debuffs on enemies that the other weapons don't, and Tomes target a completely different defensive stat from the other weapons.

I don't think Tomes have any business having an advantage over Axes in the same manner that Swords do, or that Bows have any business having an advantage over Lances in the same manner that Axes do.

Simply put, I am not so sure that daggers will be here to stay, since all we have for their inclusion is a spin-off and a game where they were only limited to 5 classes, with 3 of those being in the same class tree, another being DLC, and the last being an offshoot of a healing class. They were left out of Warriors, too, though that could be attributed to their being a relatively recent weapon type.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Simply put, I am not so sure that daggers will be here to stay, since all we have for their inclusion is a spin-off and a game where they were only limited to 5 classes, with 3 of those being in the same class tree, another being DLC, and the last being an offshoot of a healing class. They were left out of Warriors, too, though that could be attributed to their being a relatively recent weapon type.

You're probably right about daggers, considering they would look kind of awkward in the kind of large-scale battles that Three Houses seems to be moving towards.

But what I was mainly trying to do in my above posts was explain why I disagreed with the notion of Fates's Weapon Triangle being "great".