Least Favorite FE Character?

Sub Zero

On 19-11-2018 at 2:25 PM, zuibangde said:

Not necessarily my least favourite but can someone explain to me how Lucina got so popular?? I also find Florina's trait of being afraid of men kind of annoying initially.

Well since she lost everything dear to her and has frequent bouts of childlike enthusiasms about engaging in random low key stuff she missed out on Lucina is fairly sympathetic, she's decently prominent or at least shows up a lot and she's also cute without resorting to cheap fanservice. Perhaps the surprise factor was also a factor. Now we know that Lucina is a naive dork who's afraid of bugs and is overly serious about silly things but we didn't know that when first meeting her which made have made those moments with her more enjoyable than they might have otherwise been. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to pick a character from outside Fatewakening that I truly dislike, but within Fates, Xander/Azura/Corrin are definitely the worse. But people already talked about them so I'll bring up another character, Azama. I think one of the worst things you can do for a playable character is make the player question why anyone in the party would ever want to interact with them. I get that Azama is supposed to be a troll, and some find him funny for that, but for the life of me, I don't know why anyone would want to support with him past C rank. He's just an asshole through and through, offering nothing to his support partners.

16 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

It's hard to pick a character from outside Fatewakening that I truly dislike, but within Fates, Xander/Azura/Corrin are definitely the worse. But people already talked about them so I'll bring up another character, Azama. I think one of the worst things you can do for a playable character is make the player question why anyone in the party would ever want to interact with them. I get that Azama is supposed to be a troll, and some find him funny for that, but for the life of me, I don't know why anyone would want to support with him past C rank. He's just an asshole through and through, offering nothing to his support partners.

I think that's one of the problems of relying on quirky characters like that.

I don't know if that's how he is in the Japanese version, or if he was localized that way. Azama comes off so much more like a complete asshole than a jokester/prankster who goes too far sometimes, which is what I think the intention was.

I really do want to get inside the heads of the people writing for Fates' characters, because there are so many characters on the rosters who are just wholly bad, unlikable people portrayed in inappropriate ways. I still maintain that Fates manages to make more compelling characters than Awakening, but on the flipside... Awakening really doesn't get as offensive with its bad characters, and even Tharja is portrayed in a way that seems like it was handled with a defter touch than some of what we get in Fates. I really would like to know if they thought they were writing endearing characters when they were writing characters like Azama and Camilla. Without even getting into Peri, there's probably at least 5 people in gen 1 alone who are just bad, bad people.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Slumber said:

I really do want to get inside the heads of the people writing for Fates' characters, because there are so many characters on the rosters who are just wholly bad, unlikable people portrayed in inappropriate ways.

Azama and Peri have fans, in spite of themselves. The goal of writing so many characters, some of whom are just awful people, is presumably to cast a wide net and appeal to someone. A lot of people like Severa for being a tsundere, and a lot of people hate her for it. Some like Jacob for being a snarky servant, and others think he's just a jerk. But the writers probably win more fans total than they lose by writing a 'colorful' cast of characters.

It's an understandable business model, albeit somewhat cynical. A character doesn't need to make sense or appeal to everyone, but if they bring in more fans, who cares (from a marketers' standpoint)? The story for Fates is largely just a vehicle to sell people characters.

A lot of people seem especially fond of Blazing Blade's cast, but I must admit I consider it one of the weaker in the series. I have made my thoughts on the game's villains and overall writing clear before, but I've rarely touched upon the characters simply because I find them so uninteresting and not fun to talk about. Eliwood and Hector's bromance only gets you so far. 

I think the cast also gets an undeserved pass for all the gimmicky characters it has. Usually that gets a lot of Fire Emblem fans' blood pumping like nothing else, but Blazing Blade gets left out of the conversation. Sain is a sexual predator, Serra is delusional, Lowen is obsessed with food, Farina is obsessed with money, Bartre is so dumb that big words hurt his brain, and we have a literal mass murderer on our team that people seem content on ignoring. In the latter two's case, they were downgraded significantly from Binding Blade, turned into mere cartoon figures of their previous selves. 

I'm also not a fan of the direction many characters are written. Lyn's revenge arc goes nowhere because of the latter half of an A support, and Raven can't support Hector even though he's also got a revenge arc going. As I mentioned previously in this thread, there are also three separate playable little sisters looking for three separate playable older brothers. Sure, they're all different, but their end goals are the same. 

Edited by Thane

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

I really do want to get inside the heads of the people writing for Fates' characters, because there are so many characters on the rosters who are just wholly bad, unlikable people portrayed in inappropriate ways.

Honestly, people always use Fates as an example of bad characters but there are plenty of characters from previous games that are also assholes (and I don't see the problem with it) or badly written.

Anyways, I think characters that have polarizing personalities get way more popular and attention than characters with likeable personalities which in turn keeps people talking about the game. People remember Lute but how many people remember Arthur or Natasha? 

Edited by zuibangde

3 hours ago, zuibangde said:

Honestly, people always use Fates as an example of bad characters but there are plenty of characters from previous games that are also assholes (and I don't see the problem with it) or badly written.

I suppose you're right that there are a ton of asshole characters. Shinon's an asshole, Lute's an asshole, Makalov's an asshole, Vaida's an asshole... but these are very different than what we get with characters like Tharja, Peri, Azama, Camilla, etc.

Shinon's mean, but you're also generally not supposed to be going "Oh Shinon, that scamp. That goofball." Units IN-GAME in PoR make no bones that most of them dislike him. Boyd says he'll kill Shinon without thinking twice after he defects, and only Rolf can get Shinon to go along with Ike. And to top it off, I don't recall anybody running away crying in Shinon's supports because he crossed a line with his jabs, and he never hurts his allies.

Lute's arrogant and her intention is never to really hurt anyone. At worst she generally rubs people the wrong way because she's so eager to show off her skills and superiority.

Makalov is selfish, and has a ton of self-destructive habits that put those around him in a position where they have to pick up after him.

Vaida's probably the closest I think we've ever gotten to somebody on Azama's level prior to Azama, and it's really only in her Canas support where this shines through. Elsewhere, she has the personality of a drill sergeant. Generally terse, loud and shouting orders, never really getting too personal. It's really just Canas that she bullies, and Canas doesn't seem to mind that much, that this it really makes it any better.

I should probably use another word for the Fates' cast+Tharja. I'd say abusive, since that definitely describes Camilla, Tharja and Azama, and fits with their intentions, but for as awful as she is, Peri doesn't really want to hurt her friends and others in the army, just random people on the street and her enemies. Camilla, Tharja and Azama are actively trying to hurt those around them, so abusive works for them. Maybe I'll just put a * next to Peri when I say that these character are especially bad because they're abusive.

Edited by Slumber

On 11/13/2018 at 10:08 AM, DragonFlames said:

FE10: Sothe. "I am generic as hell. I was also an a-hole in FE9." He also sucks as a unit in both games, so... yay? 

How does he "suck as a unit" in FE10 when he's literally one of the best units in the Dawn Brigade? Tier lists rank him at about High Tier, for crying out loud.

He helps immensely in Part 1 where promoted units are hard to come by, especially in the chapter where you're facing a pincer attack by Beast Laguz bandits. He's the only unit in the Dawn Brigade that can steal things and open doors and chests without keys. And if anything else, he can soften enemies if need be, and should always be the one to get boss kills in Part 1.

In Part 3, he's also one of your best bets at fighting Beast Laguz due to how he's the only one who can use Beast Killers. And even with other people such as Nolan and Jill promoted, and Tauroneo, Volug, and Zihark also able to handle things, he can still hold his own. Really, the only part in the game where he does suck is Part 4, but that's because of how weak his class is and he's outlived his usefulness anyways.

So, yeah. That's quite a lot against him "sucking" as a unit.

Edited by Just call me AL

Tharja/Rhajat, Camilla, Takumi. Any of those characters, really. Almost anyone in the Fates cast could qualify, to be honest. In my opinion I don't think there's anyone who has any actual character in Fates. 

• 2 weeks later...

Least favourite character would be Corrin, but they've been mentioned in this topic a lot already, so I am going to mention Soleil instead. Her behavious is absolutely reprehensible, yet the game insists it's actually cute and funny because she is a girl. She harasses Ophelia, Forrest (in the Japanese version) and really any random girl that catches her fancy. The writing for her is a complete mess in the localization. Plus the fact that she is originally based on ye olde stereotype of girls loving girls being just immature and they'll get into "normal" het relationships once they grow up. Really the only reason she isn't dead last is that Corrin's influence permeates the main plot, while I can thankfully ignore Soleil's entire existence.