Least Favorite FE Character?

Sub Zero

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's a tie between Gaius and Tharja.

Gaius just has the most annoying gimmick in the world, and Tharja is a genuinely bad person, and not in a fun way. It's baffling that anyone would let her on the team.

Honorable mentions go to Corrin and Ephraim.

EDIT: And how could I forget Peri? Jesus, whoever thought she was a good idea should be banned from the writing team. She's an even more extreme Tharja in the "just a bad person, why are they still here?" category.

There's a case to be made on "bad characters". I don't know much about Fates. Just Nohr and Hoshido are at war and Corrin is from both. Kindly explain what makes Tharja and Peri, please?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, CapnStix said:

There's a case to be made on "bad characters". I don't know much about Fates. Just Nohr and Hoshido are at war and Corrin is from both. Kindly explain what makes Tharja and Peri, please?

Tharja threatens anyone who gets in the way of her and Robin, casts hexes on her teammates and abuses her child in the alternate Awakening timeline(Without much indication that she wouldn't do that in the prime Awakening timeline).

Peri kills innocent people for fun. She's straight up a serial killer who loves seeing blood. That's her character.

It's not like we're talking about Makalov(Who still sucks) who is just a weasely gambler. These two do direct harm to their teammates or innocents, which, as far as I know, isn't something I can recall other FE units on the side of good doing. At least without reformation.

Tharja and Peri never reform.

Edited by Slumber

15 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's not like we're talking about Makalov(Who still sucks) who is just a weasely gambler. These two do direct harm to their teammates or innocents, which, as far as I know, isn't something I can recall other FE units on the side of good doing. At least without reformation.

I wonder why Makalov is more hated than the aforementioned examples when he's pretty tame in comparison. 

OT: I think Narcian was a terrible villain considering despite his screen time, he didn't accomplish anything. It also makes Bern look pathetic for putting a buffoon in the position of Wyvern general. Even after Zephiel and Murdock decided to get rid of him, they still left him to defend Etruria's capital city, which was a dumb mistake on their part. The Etrurian nobles, despite having a lot of screen-time, were quite forgettable and like Narcian, didn't accomplish much. I also dislike Numida because the dude has no personality/character. Also, I dislike Roy because whatever he does, he's always portrayed to be correct and disagreeing with his seniors ends up with no negative repercussions. 

Edited by Icelerate

7 minutes ago, CapnStix said:

That is an interesting character. Why do they kill? I really don't care, but I'd take Peri or Tharja over more...boring characters.

Tharja's a more interesting character to delve into than Peri in that regard.

Peri just likes killing. There's 0 reason she's on the good side, when she's arguably as big of a monster as somebody like Hans, who is one of the big baddies.

"This character does something different" isn't a good enough excuse for me to go "Oh yeah, they're better than nothing". They have to be executed well, and there has to be some room to believe it. Peri, and to a much lesser extent, Tharja, actually bring down the casts surrounding them, because it really boggles the mind why any righteous party would let them stick around. For Tharja there is some ability to stretch the suspension of disbelief, since a lot of shitty stuff she does, aside from outwardly threatening teammates, is done on the sly. Peri will bring up blood and killing people in almost every line of dialogue she has.

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I wonder why Makalov is more hated than the aforementioned examples when he's pretty tame in comparison. 

Makalov I've never really hated, but he is an unpleasant guy.

There are two big reasons people like Tharja, though. As for Peri...? I don't know. I have no idea why anybody would like her aside to be contrarian and follow the argument of her being "different".

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I didn't mean you, I meant the fanbase. 

Well, *coughcough* he's not a waifu.

Also he has a stupid face. I hate looking at his face.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Tharja's a more interesting character to delve into than Peri in that regard.

Peri just likes killing. There's 0 reason she's on the good side, when she's arguably as big of a monster as somebody like Hans, who is one of the big baddies.

"This character does something different" isn't a good enough excuse for me to go "Oh yeah, they're better than nothing". Peri, and to a much lesser extent, Tharja, actually bring down the casts surrounding them, because it really boggles the mind why any righteous party would let them stick around. For Tharja there is some ability to stretch the suspension of disbelief, since a lot of shitty stuff she does, aside from outwardly threatening teammates, is done on the sly. Peri will bring up blood and killing people in almost every line of dialogue she has.

And? Is killing in Saint's Row not fun, especially in 4? Is running people over with a cement mixer not entertaining?

Is killing a player character in Overwatch not a good time? I'd say that's one helluva good time. It's just a game, do they actively disobey the players commands? No? No biggie, then.

1 minute ago, CapnStix said:

And? Is killing in Saint's Row not fun, especially in 4? Is running people over with a cement mixer not entertaining?

Is killing a player character in Overwatch not a good time? I'd say that's one helluva good time. It's just a game, do they actively disobey the players commands? No? No biggie, then.

This is a really, really bad argument.

Nowi. She is just completely atrocious. 

Followed by Elise, Meg, Donnel, and Peri. 

3 minutes ago, CapnStix said:

What do you mean? Am I not correct?

The reason why it is a bad argument is that killing is not "fun" in the context of real life, which is the context that Peri exists in within her universe. The entire Saints Row universe is a parody. While Fire Emblem has fantastical elements, its conflicts and deaths are always presented with the gravity that they would be due in an actual war. That is why Peri's sadism does not fit in the universe and certainly isn't endearing. 

Edited by Etheus

Sadism Is bad? In fiction? I keep forgetting Japan runs on "the power of friendship" en masse. And enjoying hurting people? There's worse crimes than murder, I hear.

1 minute ago, CapnStix said:

Sadism Is bad? In fiction? I keep forgetting Japan runs on "the power of friendship" en masse. And enjoying hurting people? There's worse crimes than murder, I hear.

Yes, sadism is bad. It isn't a positive character trait in fiction. That much should be obvious. And if Peri were a villain, then that's fair game, of course, but she isn't.

You can, in fiction, use some degree of such to create a violent anti-hero (such as say the Punisher), but this has to be backed up with enough compelling positive traits to make us root for that character, otherwise they are a cartoon, not a person. Deadpool is great and all, but he exists to break immersion. Fire Emblem doesn't need a Deadpool, and a Deadpool will not work in this setting.

I've never really liked Fernand all that much. The way he was introduced kind of rubbed me the wrong way, and the fact that he dipped out of the Deliverance and joined the enemy because Clive gave leadership to a "commoner" is a bit of a jerk move and it really shows how stuck up Fernand is. 

Spoilers for those who haven't quite finished Shadows of Valentia yet:

Spoiler

Then, towards the end of the game, Fernand gets killed off. Clive rushes to his side before he dies, and it's there that an attempt is made to redeem Fernand's character, which I really didn't like all that much. It was an unnecessary tragedy that really didn't need to be there.

I appreciate how the Rise of the Deliverance DLC fleshes out these characters a bit more, and shows Fernand in a light that makes him not as stuck up, but still a bit stuck up... at least until the fourth and final Chapter of the RotD DLC.

Now if he was a playable character in the main game, I might have a different opinion, but as it stands, I just don't like him all that much. Not entirely my least favorite, but he's pretty low on the list.

Well, I have two. Roy for gameplay reasons. FE6 is my favorite, but Roy is not why. He's has shitty stats, foot-locked, sword-locked, and is only somewhat passable once he promotes, and he's force-fielded on every single fucking chapter. He just runs around, capped level for like 4 or 5 chapters before promotions, if you're lucky. Meanwhile, his closest comparison (Ike) at least has a good skill, a good promotion which happens earlier, and his stats aren't hot garbage. His personality is pretty good though. I like the angles they go with his supports, especially with Cecilia.

Personality wise, any combination of Treck, Bord, Cord, Matthis, Vyland, etc... These blank slate, class base stats, terrible guys. Their stats are never good, they have no personality. At least people like Peri, Faye, etc. have something to latch on to. What can you tell me about Treck? He's a cavalier. He's not Noah. Uhhh... Yeah, nothing. They're not good, they're not interesting, they just take up space.

In terms of playable characters, it's Peri, but seeing as how we've all talked about why she is so god awful, I'm gonna talk about my other least favorite playable character, Makalov. I get what they were going for with Makalov, but the problem is that not only he does he never try to change and become a better person, he actually becomes worse in Radiant Dawn where not only is he still a gambling addict, he's also an alcoholic who drags poor Astrid into his mess and actively hurts her as a character.

In terms of npcs/villains, Iago and Hans. I consider these two to be the worst Fire Emblem villains of all time because they have no established backstories or motivations. Even some of the other truly vile villains like Valter, Manfroy, and Gharnef at least have some sort of backstory or excuse for why they act the way they do. That's just me tho

15 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Yes, sadism is bad. It isn't a positive character trait in fiction. That much should be obvious. And if Peri were a villain, then that's fair game, of course, but she isn't.

You can, in fiction, use some degree of such to create a violent anti-hero (such as say the Punisher), but this has to be backed up with enough compelling positive traits to make us root for that character, otherwise they are a cartoon, not a person. Deadpool is great and all, but he exists to break immersion. Fire Emblem doesn't need a Deadpool, and a Deadpool will not work in this setting.

Is that a fact? I was pretty sure Fire Emblem was fun because story and gameplay. It can be argued that superheroes are killing machines.

They are as follows.

FE1: Not really much character to find here, but I'm going to say Bord because I didn't like him for whatever reason when I played FE1.

FE2: Same here really, I'll say Nuibaba since he's kinda boring without the boobs the interactions and is overall an easy boss.

FE3: The vulnerary, it stole Wrys's rightful place.

FE4: Jamke, I just hate his worthless guts. Was an absolute pain to recruit for me, and was basically worthless from then on.

FE5: Marty, need I say more?

FE6: I was never a fan of Chad, thought he had kinda a dumb face and was just a worse version of Astol.

FE7: Lowen is really boring, and I hate his hair. He's alright combat-wise, I suppose, but I could never get behind his anything.

FE8: Rennac. Normally I like blatant assholes in Fire Emblem. This is the exception. He is all utility and no other purpose. And his constant whining about La'rachel got annoying fast. Also he's a pain to recruit on Ephraim's side.

FE9: Tormod. Yeah I just find the brat annoying.

FE10: Any cat laguz barring Ranulf, and any bird laguz barring Nasaula and Tibarn. All of them are either bland, boring, or annoying. Credit has to go to Lyre (I think that was her name), for being the technical incitement of the greatest line in all of Tellius history. "Gatrie, I swear you'd hit on a tree if I dressed it in a skirt, tell me I'm wrong" convo ends. So she gets that, I suppose.

FE11: I don't like that weird replacement dragon you get on the end chapter. She just looks weird.

FE12: Never played, so I don't know.

FE13: Pretty low-hanging fruit. Both of the Christmas Cavaliers are bland and boring, Virion sucks, as does Ricken. Half of the children are terrible, although I do quite like the other half (Owain is just really entertaining to read, sue me.)

FE14: Everyone has already said Peri, so no use saying her again. Pretty much all of the ninjas are awful. Kaze gets by on sheer charisma alone, Saizo is excruciatingly redundant and boring, and Kagero is, well, the less said about her the better in my opinion. None of the children are likeable, with the possible exception of Soleil. 

FE15: I actually like every character in here. Alm is basically my second favorite lord, the Ram village squad is all great (yes, even you Faye), and all of Celica's crew are amazing. Jesse might be a bit redundant, but I like some of his idealism. They needed some more development, but what we were given leads me to find everyone here great.

FEH: I guess Anna is the worst, with dire need of development beyond "MONEY".

FEW: The lemon-head twins are equally bad.

1 minute ago, DarthR0xas said:

Credit has to go to Lyre (I think that was her name), for being the technical incitement of the greatest line in all of Tellius history. "Gatrie, I swear you'd hit on a tree if I dressed it in a skirt, tell me I'm wrong" convo ends. So she gets that, I suppose.

That was Shinon.

I had to think real hard on this. I'm the type of the person who ignores anything inconvenient and it takes a LOT to make me dislike something. The only character in the series that I strongly dislike is Makalov. I used to avoid anything related Tellius before because of him¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The jerk reminds me a lot of how my father used to be, especially since my father was also a detriment to those around him because of his alcoholism. Also, Makalov's lack of desire to improve himself hits home because my father came very close to giving up but thankfully he pulled through and is much better person now. All in all, I don't hate the character(has some nice moments) but he's a reminder of the past.

41 minutes ago, CapnStix said:

Is that a fact? I was pretty sure Fire Emblem was fun because story and gameplay. It can be argued that superheroes are killing machines

I don't know what argument the "that" is referring to, so I'll just go over all of his statements before I get to your last statement.

59 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Sadism, or having sadistic tendencies is always, and I do mean always, a negative. Even if it's used for laughs, you still are laughing at the absurdity and sadness of the whole situation.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

You can, in fiction, use some degree of such to create a violent anti-hero (such as say the Punisher), but this has to be backed up with enough compelling positive traits to make us root for that character, otherwise they are a cartoon, not a person.

Peri is, in this case, a shell of a human. Her only positive trait is "Hey, she's a part of the good guys", and that's about it. She is basically insane, obsessed with death, killing, ect, and is kinda a psychopath. 

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Fire Emblem doesn't need a Deadpool, and a Deadpool will not work in this setting.

Fire Emblem already has a Deadpool, that being Anna. Even then she is a less extreme version, and still mostly adheres to in-game logic. She only occasionally breaks the fourth wall (like once or twice if I can remember), and otherwise is mainly comic relief.

Anyways, time to go through your statements.

48 minutes ago, CapnStix said:

Is that a fact?

Since I am still unsure about what "that" refers to, here is your answer. The first one, yes, sadism is a bad thing that you don't want to have. The second thing, yes, that is a basic in writing interesting characters, not pushing absurd violence to a point where they create Peri. The third one, sure, that's more of an opinion, I'll give you that.

50 minutes ago, CapnStix said:

I was pretty sure Fire Emblem was fun because story and gameplay.

Fire Emblem can be fun because of whatever reasons you want it to be.

51 minutes ago, CapnStix said:

It can be argued that superheroes are killing machines.

And any time most of them were shown to be killing machines, or at least human killing machines, you know what happens? Fan backlash. Superman snaps Zod's neck, and destroys a lot of the heavily populated Metropolis? Fans freaked. Batman starts killing and using a gun, fans freaked. With the exception of heroes who are basically one step away from being villains (Deadpool, Punisher), they don't get away with that kinda a thing.

17 minutes ago, Slumber said:

That was Shinon.

Yes, but notice my wording. "Technical incitement". If Gatrie hadn't fallen for Lyre, and then she freaks out by Shinon being Shinon, then that line wouldn't have occurred in the first place. I was trying to find a positive with the Laguz man, give me a break.

"that" as in sadism. There's a difference between saying and doing. Peri talks about killing people all the time. But is it shown? More than once? Her murdering people?

Zod doesn't deserve respect. He should have stayed dead.

1 hour ago, CapnStix said:

Is that a fact? I was pretty sure Fire Emblem was fun because story and gameplay. It can be argued that superheroes are killing machines.

This is just silly. Just because something is fun for the player doesn't mean it should be fun for the characters. Immersion is part of the fun of any setting, unless said setting is meant to intentionally throw immersion to the wind. 

10 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Fire Emblem already has a Deadpool, that being Anna. Even then she is a less extreme version, and still mostly adheres to in-game logic. She only occasionally breaks the fourth wall (like once or twice if I can remember), and otherwise is mainly comic relief.

Just occasionally breaking the fourth wall and being comic relief doesn't make someone a Deadpool by itself. Deadpool is defined not only by being genre savvy, but by being literally able to use such to his advantage, all the while showing extreme disregard for his setting and everyone else in it. Deadpool is like a cancer-ridden Bugs Bunny with a penchant for enthusiastic murder. 

alright as someone who created the "In the defense of peri thread" a while back I feel I should throw my two cents in on this. Now I'll try to keep this brief cause I already talked about at length as to most of my thoughts on peri in the aforementioned thread so if you wanna know my full thoughts just click the link. However to summarize I don't think Peri is a bad character if anything she's pretty well written if you ask me. The reason being is that well I can understand why she is the way she is. Mentally Peri is a spoiled child who never really learned right from wrong because of her upbringing(killing her servants as revenge for what happened to her mother to which her father never stopped peri from doing). It by no means "excuses" her psychotic tendencies but it does explain them which to me adds depth and nuance to her character which is why I personally find her interesting. It humanizes her to a degree and makes her more than just a single focused gimmick of "oh killing is great!" because you know it makes sense for her to act this way because of what she's experienced. Killing in Peri's eyes is nothing more than a hobbie. What separates her from a character like Hans, is that peri doesn't know killing is wrong. She just does it because it's fun to her and relieves stress in a way like going on a walk. The worst aspect of her character to me anyway is her integration into the story because it just straight up contradicts xander's entire character making him out to be a dumbass hypocrit. Anyway those are just my two cents on the matter.