Why Does Serenes Forrest Keep Randomly Logging Me Out?

Hawkwing

The problem comes and goes, but ever since I joined, I've had moments where the site just plain randomly logs me out. Sometimes this only happens once, and then never again for the rest of the day. Other times, like right now, it seems like I'm suddenly signed out simply by clicking on a topic. Usually, it's somewhere inbetween, and outside of spending an hour or two writing up a response, there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for why this occurs. It's been happening for over a year now, so I'm wondering what the cause is.

In case it's relevant, I do often use Incognito window when visiting the site (mostly so clicking on links and the like doesn't result in my search history getting cluttered), and I also tend to have multiple tabs up at once. It seems to be a coin flip whether or not the latter will sign me out for whatever reason.

I have no idea. Personally, I've never had this happen and I leave it in private browsing all the time, with multiple tabs open as well. Check your settings, maybe there's an explanation there?

Edited by Dayni

A Private/Incognito window doesn't use any saved cookies when they are first opened nor save any new ones when you close it, thus auto sign-in's will not work in these windows. So try not using it on Serenes for a bit and see if that is indeed the problem.

I too use Private windows (I use Firefox) for the same reason. But I don't use it on Serenes unless I want to view a topic while signed out, so as not to update my "currently" status. It's dumb, but what the heck, I like the privacy.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

Hasn't happened to me. Mayhaps the PS4 is not a private browser. If a hacker wants to see my information, let 'em, I say. Same to governments. I've nothing to hide, so no biggie.

Edited by CapnStix

That usually happens either if you're erasing your cookies constantly or you're running a browser that doesn't keep cookies/browser history.

I think incognito is a very likely culprit, though I can't answer why the frequency of your logouts are so inconsistent.